• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam 20 year old club

GrayDock

More two months for me. Made my account due to a HL2 code that came with my 9600XT ATI card....
Sem-t-tulo.jpg

Almost 20 years and still can't change my login...

15 years for me. Man how time flies. I remember creating my account and being so excited for my first Steam Sale. What a time too, those sales were ridiculous for so long. Steam sales are definitely not as exciting as they used to be.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I get my 20 next July. Crazy how far it's come since 2003.

0bWFGCH.jpeg
Steam's homepage today was updated with the same color scheme - check it out for an instant blast of nostalgia.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm at 9 years, but my son took over my original account when he started gaming so I had to create a new one. I'll have to ask him how many years that account is.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Damn, time flies. I’m at 18 years. I think I created my Steam account shortly after Half Life 2 launched.
Yeah I remember creating my account for HL2. I wasn't into the idea of Steam at first but I knew I needed HL2 so I bit the bullet.

El Muerto

15yrs here. I created a steam account when I found a Half Life disc at the thrift store. I was able to redeem the key and when i redeemed HL I got blue shift, team fortress classic, ricochet, and day of defeat. Prior to that i pirated games.

NanaMiku

f4d4e55079.png

Only 14 years. I forgot why I made the account. Checking the license activation list, my first game was the free Portal they gave in 2010.

GHG

15 years for me at the moment, will be 16 in January.

CkEgfkJ.jpg

Crazy to think I still remember setting up my account like it was yesterday and purchasing orangebox, only for my PC at the time to get stolen in a break in a couple of months later. I swiftly replaced it but it all brings back so many memories, both good and bad.

Kacho

18 years for me. Can’t believe I found time to sign up since I was heavily playing World of Warcraft at the time. Pretty sure I got Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 for Christmas that year.

GQ3isRg.jpg

CashPrizes

16 years in October, started with Orange Box.
I played Half-Life 2 on original Xbox because my PC was crud at the time. My heyday with CS was like in 2000 so didn't get that going on Steam until many years later.

near

Gold Member

Valve launched Steam on September 12, 2003, and we're super proud and incredibly grateful for what we've been able to do in the 20 years since. Steam's success is a direct result of the players and developers around the world who use it.

We thought it would be fun to look back at the top releases on Steam each year (many of which are on sale as part of this celebration, including all Valve titles!) and added some fun facts for both Steam and pop culture in general (in art or text form, or both). But, like, give us the same leeway you might with an aging grandparent: the dates and facts below are as correct as our collectively aging memories will allow.

Man, we're old.

Anyway, if reading a novel wasn't what you had in mind during your free time, feel free to use the 'years' menu to jump around to one that interests you. And at least scroll to the end, we might have something in there that directs you to free stuff.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I've been gaming on pc since the 90s, but my first steam game was the og Metro 2033 which came out in 2010. Just 13 years on steam for me. It's okay I've spent a fortune with them.

T-Cake

I seem to have lost my original account at some point over the years. Although I doubt it would have been created within the first year as I wasn't a CS player. Like others, it was only ATi giving out Half Life codes that made me join up.

DaGwaphics

Nov 1, 2010 for me (12 years). I clung to those old boxes for as long as possible, plus I am mainly a console player.

Thaedolus

Steam account and GAF account turn 20 in 2004…at least I’m pretty sure that’s when I made the Steam account, when HL2 launched

Thaedolus

Just checked and it’s actually September 2003 I signed up…I legit don’t remember what I signed up for that early, maybe Counter Strike?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
When I first joined Steam the UI was green, I was still in High School and Obama wasn't president yet so 04 or 05

That account was deleted for NO reason I was pissed and was a Valve hater until

PS3/steam integration lured me back in April of 2011

12th.png

Funny enough this was the exact same time the PSN Hack happened so I had to wait a while haha

Last edited:

twilo99

I was hoping they would release Counter Strike 2 for the occasion but I guess not.. that game is going to shatter some records

Top Bottom