• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam will be 20 years old on September 12th, will Valve announce anything?

What will Valve do for Steam's 20th Birthday?

• Total voters

Paulistano

Km97qWU.png

Holammer

The first game I activated was a Half-Life key shared among a small group of friends up to that point :messenger_smiling_horns:
image.png

Looks like my badge will update alongside Steam itself, not a day later :messenger_beaming:
I registered a Steam account because it was now required to play Half-Life/Counter-Strike, turns out my key was already claimed and someone had likely stolen it at a Lan party. I was so pissed off I swore off PC Gaming forever, consoles where it's at! I was probably more obnoxious than the worst console warriors here on GAF today.
Thank God there's no digital trail of me saying PC's are only good for piracy and World of Warcraft.

Later in 2010 my mates forced me to make a Steam account because BF: Bad Company 2 was about to release.

No, because Valve can't count to 3. They just announced CS 2 and that's as far as they'll ever go with their games left 4 dead 2, half life 2, team fortress 2 and cs 2 now exist. Bust sadly, that's all it's ever going to be.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
This is my biggest hope! I would love an official retro green or even complete retro skin for Steam. Also one for SteamDeck while they are at it.

Half Life 2 is what got me to make my first account, but that was lost to time and multiple moves/hacked account attempts. I gave my second account to my youngest brother and made a new one. Starting over with a 1 year badge at the moment.
I would love to see what Valve can see in terms of account data, last logins, where the logins took place, and all that jazz.

Also looking at all the games I put the most time in. My dad would play MOH Airborne when I was at work. It's #9 in my all time played.
He's not a gamer but I built him a PC so he could play that to his heart's content...and now World of Tanks.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Btw, anyone know how to reset/set your age gate date? It seems to have finally started saving it in the cloud just when I had given up and put a wrong date that one time just to get past the age check and now even deleting all the data/reinstalling Steam won't revert it to default blank date or let me save the actual date (or automatically save the new one I change it to when it reaches such a screen again). Why save it at all if it still lets you change it and still requires you to submit the date even if it's saved one for you already/if there's no age to set in your profile or wherever else.

Also there's no longer a "clear browser cache/data/cookies/whatever" anywhere in settings and my OCD about not keeping useless/temp files on my PC is in overdrive.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Hopefully they announce they're reverting the recent regressive changes on their client and website, but I guess that's not very likely.

simpatico

Imagine thinking Valve still cared about anything other than being data merchants. I don't even think they have gamers on the staff anymore. Certainly not game devs.

Found it. Only 16.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

hum... yeah, notifications clearly need some work and things need to be iron out but i don't have much problem with the client and the new BPM is just so good.

Holammer

So it's tomorrow? Here's some plausible to 'get outta here' guesses.

There's a sales event.
They release CS2.
Drop the ISO for Steam OS.
Reveal a new console form factor Deck device.
Gaben appears at the Apple presentation and introduces something.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I would be a member since around September of '03 if I could remember which account I had as it was basically a glorified HL2 launcher.

dorkimoe

Naamloos.png

installed it for half life, absolute trash program at the time, dam already 19 years ago.
Bullshit. It was awesome day 1. Not having to fight 404 errors on websites to get a counter strike update was the best. I was one of the few happy about it. I hated trying to download exe files at 4pm from some file site

I can't believe COD Ghosts was one of the top sellers of 2013. I used to buy these games for the campaign so I'm part of the problem. But how? Word of mouth was toxic for 6 months before release and MW3 online was short lived on PC. Looks like the series was indeed a monster on PC despite public perception.

And COD WWII in 2017? WTF?

Last edited:

Denton

I have an account since may 2004, but I created a new one in september 2008 and that has become my primary one. Kinda regret it in retrospect, would have been cool to be at 20 years of service next year.

Top Bottom