• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so assuming I haven't actually played Deus Ex Human Revolution, how necessary is it to upgrade to Director's Cut before I do so?

Derrick01

Banned
is really AC4 that bad?
i play the first one like 20 minutes and well wasnt bad at all...but i been hear rage over this one.

The piratey stuff looks like it *could* be decent fun but the rest of the normal AC garbage is still the same broken, heavily streamlined mess of a game. I'm looking forward to seeing if the sailing stuff manages to stay fresh longer than it did in AC3.

FOX_

Neo Member
I would say not much if you also have the dlc, thinking the same question myself (for a replay), but it's only $5.

As an aside, really digging the avatar, scorpscarx. Raven made some of my most beloved games back in the day, my favorite being Jedi Outcast. :D

denx

so assuming I haven't actually played Deus Ex Human Revolution, how necessary is it to upgrade to Director's Cut before I do so?

Depends. If you already have DE:HR and TML but have let them just sit in your library, then buying the Director's Cut at 5 dollars is definitely worthwhile imo. If you don't have that discount, then wait for a sale. If money is not a concern, then go for it. Fixed boss battles and all the story DLC integrated into the main storyline makes it a worthwhile upgrade. Just wait until tomorrow or Tuesday, Eidos Montreal is pushing a patch to fix many of the problems that plagued the PC version at launch.

The piratey stuff looks like it *could* be decent fun but the rest of the normal AC garbage is still the same broken, heavily streamlined mess of a game. I'm looking forward to seeing if the sailing stuff manages to stay fresh longer than it did in AC3.

In all seriousness the sailing does look fun and I'm a sucker for water effects like that in a game. Everything I've heard suggests it is really well done and it is only once you hit land that things fall apart (with the usual Assassin's creed drudgery like tailing missions).

$80? No way. But I'm sure it'll be on sale soon enough.

No it has the prestiguous on of being cool to shit on like call of duty. It's a very respectful honor because it doesnt even require you to play the game for you to be allowed to say it. Not many series allow for that.

Having said that, I don't think it is the same as call of duty. I've always thought people liked to shit on that series because it was the same every year, not that the games are particularly bad.

KarmaCow

I don't know about necessary, the biggest change seems to be tweaked bosses but as someone who didn't play the vanilla version, it seemed to be still very shooter focused.

Other than that it slaps the Missing Link DLC into where it was left out. It's not really well integrated, it feels out place but your progress from it can carry over to the rest of the game now.

If you already have the game and DLC, the $5 is worth it just for the commentary. It's the lead writer, director and lead artist along with other people here and there candidly talking about the development process. The implementation could use some work, but it's very informative without the PR veneer.

Guys, can you help me out?
After I played through FEAR and Riddick, I've decided to drown myself in RPGs (mostly old one, with the isometric view), and I need a few recommendations.

My list as of now is:

Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
(I already own Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics)

What would you add? Basically, go on GOG.com and tell me what to buy in the RPGs section. :lol

Take out NWN1, it's garbo (NWN 2 vanilla is also pretty meh but MoB is amazing). Add in Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Nox, and Gothic.

EDIT: Also if you're willing to venture into Steam, Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 are pretty decent.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Take out NWN1, it's garbo (NWN 2 vanilla is also pretty meh but MoB is amazing). Add in Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Nox, and Gothic.

NWN1 has some excellent mods around as well as a good chunk of persistent worlds still active. If he's at all interested in that over the main campaign (which is disappointing as hell, I will give you that) then he'd do excellent keeping NWN1 on his list. It's really meant more as an engine for other experiences than a game of its own.

NWN1 has some excellent mods around as well as a good chunk of persistent worlds still active. If he's at all interested in that over the main campaign (which is disappointing as hell, I will give you that) then he'd do excellent keeping NWN1 on his list. It's really meant more as an engine for other experiences than a game of its own.

I just hated NWN1's interface more than anything. Clunky as all get out. NWN2 was slightly more elegant. NWN1 reeks of "babby's first 3D game engine"

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vanilla no-mod update: Made it to the research facility
went through the barn, headshot a sniper, ran up to his area "prone"/crouch-low-crouched to search him and hauled ass to the research facility
and am getting my ass kicked. The Merc Suit doesn't help against like five or six mercenaries in that area that you have to clear out and the AI Loner group keeps pushing me out of cover to my death while I'm trying to keep as many of them alive to help me out.

Argh argh argh argh argh. Stupid Master Difficulties damage rate at times...

Sajjaja

In all seriousness the sailing does look fun and I'm a sucker for water effects like that in a game.

Imagine sailing through the Atlantic from Boston up north to Newfoundland to secure a trade route. The clouds suddenly change and a storm brews. A blast of lightning strikes in the horizon and the growing waves make the mind uneasy. In the distance you see the outline of one...no two....THREE frigates coming to ensure your demise. As your crew ready your canons for battle, you look to your left to see an 80 foot wave approaching your ship. You order your men to brace for what will surely be a devastating rogue wave. It strikes and you let out a sigh of relief knowing that no one was wiped away, only to be suddenly reminded by an echoing blast of canon fire that three frigates are gunning for you.

BRACE. You receive a barrage of cannon fire from one of the frigates, but no one was hurt and you return fire. You begin to engage one frigate in what seems to be a cyclonic dance of death whilst trying to use the waves to protect you from the other two. But alas, you are hit by the other two frigates due to an unfortunate momentary clearing of waves.

Damage report. Your ship is still intact and fully capable, though only God knows for how much longer. The headwind is strong, slowing you down. You're open to another barrage. Direct hit. It's not looking good.

BRACE. An even larger rogue wave strikes. No casualties. Fire from all three frigates. Two connect, another is drowned in the waves. One more hit and you will surely parish.

Friendly fire. You narrowly manage to evade cannon fire from one of the distant frigates and it sets ablaze your dance partner. No complaints, but there are still two frigates to deal with.

Enough dancing, it's time to show them what it means to be an assassin. You ride the waves, taking advantage of their peaks to send them some presents. Hit after hit, another frigate will sleep with the fishes.

This is it. Sudden death. BRACE! The largest rogue wave yet at ninety feet begins to tower over you. Your vision floods, but the spirits smile upon you. You survived Earth's wrath, but she was not the only one seeking to do you harm.

Thunder. Lightning. Darkness. Headwinds strong. The large waves separate you two. Death lingers by your side, eager to cross out your name. Not today. Not today. One more hit. It all relies on who shoots first. Who shoots first. He shot first.

He shot first. You blink. The large waves deny. You shot second. The large waves permit. Death bows his head. You sail on.

This was my experience in Assassin's Creed 3 the other day. Naval battles are an absolutely fantastic experience. I still have not finished 3 yet, but I have number 4 that I'm eager to get to play on my PS3. It has provided me with one of my most memorable gaming experiences. I honestly don't know why I just wrote what I just wrote, but I don't feel like enough justice is done to this experience.

Stallion, you have my axe.

TL;DR, Assassin's Creed can be a memorable and fun experience. You should try it some time.

This was my experience in Assassin's Creed 3 the other day. Naval battles are an absolutely fantastic experience. I still have not finished 3 yet, but I have number 4 that I'm eager to get to play on my PS3. It has provided me with one of my most memorable gaming experiences. I honestly don't know why I just wrote what I just wrote, but I don't feel like enough justice is done to this experience.

Nice stuff :) I'm never touching 3 again, but I'll give 4 a chance one day.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sailing in 3 was fun. Navel combat itself? Not so much.

Then again I'm kinda sour on 3 for the shit ending they gave it and the glitches and other things getting in the way for me. I'm trying to wait for Black Flag to reach $30 on PC or less but I dunno... after 3 I'm not really hyped for the series anymore if
lol gotta kill myself despite the fact I don't really have to
is the best ending they can come up with.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was hoping Ubi would move up Black Flag's unlock date on Steam due to keys going out early and the game leaking, but alas. Also, on a related note, the original RU/CIS sub for the standard edition pre-order is still region-locked.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Mortal Kombat is great fun and looks very nice, but hot damn those cutscenes are some compressed garbage. Low quality youtube videos look about on par.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Mortal Kombat is great fun and looks very nice, but hot damn those cutscenes are some compressed garbage. Low quality youtube videos look about on par.
...and you are forced to watch them... twice if you don't feel like playing the entire mode in one sitting...

JaseC

Anyone here used RandomGameKeys.eu?

I imagine most of it is garbage, but I'm curious if anyone here has bought random Steam keys there and got something good.

From what I've heard elsewhere, they're mostly reselling indie bundle keys (illegally?)

I got curious, so I bought 50 "diamonds" (5 Eurobucks) to try my luck. The fact that orders need to be manually processed (I'm still waiting) makes me dubious about just how "random" the key allocation is.

I got curious, so I bought 50 "diamonds" (5 Eurobucks) to try my luck. The fact that orders need to be manually processed (I'm still waiting) makes me dubious about just how "random" the key allocation is.

Dibs on your kidneys when they hit the market.

I was curious too. Knowing you it'll be five awesome games...

Cody_D165

Banned

Haha I'm curious to see what you get. No one I know has actually tried the site. Please post results :p

JaseC

Haha I'm curious to see what you get. No one I know has actually tried the site. Please post results :p

Will do. Any keys that are useless to me I'll just give to ModBot.

I use Steam Achievement Manager to help get cards right?

That or, if you'd rather not use an external program, you can stick a steam_appid.txt file in the folder of any game that uses CEG, type in a game's app id, and then launch the executable. Here's an example. The neat thing about the latter option is that you can idle in one game while actually playing another.

Tizoc

I recommend getting DC especially if you plan on playing a stealth run.
Furthermore, there's New Game+ where you keep your praxis upgrades as well as developer commentary.

catabarez

That or, if you'd rather not use an external program, you can stick a steam_appid.txt file in the folder of any game that uses CEG, type in a game's app id, and then launch the executable. Here's an example. The neat thing about the latter option is that you can idle in one game while actually playing another.

Yeah but don't the cards drop much slower if you have two games open?

I was just reading http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/ibFbd/randomgamekeyseu-explanation. I know by definition it is a bit suss but still...it is a bit suss. Modbot is ready and waiting.

Neat idea though. I could see somebody succeeding with a kind of "costco" for steam games.

RyanDG

I was just reading http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/ibFbd/randomgamekeyseu-explanation. I know by definition it is a bit suss but still...it is a bit suss. Modbot is ready and waiting.

Neat idea though. I could see somebody succeeding with a kind of "costco" for steam games.

I liked this choice quote:

"We also bought bought the pack of keys from a suplier , so we don't actually know their provenience."

It doesn't lead to a very high confidence level, if they are claiming that they don't know the origins of their keys.

I liked this choice quote:

"We also bought bought the pack of keys from a suplier , so we don't actually know their provenience."

It doesn't lead to a very high confidence level, if they are claiming that they don't know the origins of their keys.
Still sounds shady.

I will be very suprised if any non bundle game came out of this. But since you're fully expecting as much this might be some valuable internet science. I also wouldn't be suprised if the order never gets processed and that website dissapears.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, for as much shit I gave the Gaming side, most of the recommendations in this thread have been good.

Save for one, I still feel burned from the Rayman Origins recommendation.

jwtsonga

looking through my wishlist..... do you guys think any of these games will go on sale soon???
lego marvel
SC:blacklist
rayman legends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom