• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You probably need to apply the correct widescreen patch.

It doesn't work natively.

Looking at gameplay videos of New York Minute it seems the dot has always been that small. The X-box version's resolution of 480p (?) made it look huge, but I guess the PC version was just that small.

The widescreen hack has given me "facial snakes"/blurring screen with the faces of enemies snaking around if I move my movement when the resolution was sort of stretched but okay in the base version. Dunno if I want to play it with this hack on with something like that kinda breaking the "immersion" for me, but the widescreen itself makes things pretty crystal clear which is amazing.

Arthea

Hey all, finally dipping my toe into the Steam thread. Please be gentle - I got back into PC gaming about a year ago and now proudly buy lots of cool indie games (and a few AAA) that I'll never play :)

It seems you already fit here nicely (><)
Welcome!

kulapik

I wanted to give away some leftovers from Amazon, but I don't know which ones have already been given and which not. Dammit Amazon, why won't you let me delete dem keys!

Hasney

Hey, only one duplicate! Go me!

ModBot said:
Please note Hasney is not a sexual deviant

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Kings Bounty Warriors of the North -- MB-5A5828D3D12F6A4E - Taken by user237. 5 entrants total.

t1384966618z1.png

Tellaerin

I have the weirdest....

hottie diversity is very much needed in a thread dominated by plain-jane saorice rowboat.

the weekend is ever approaching, what is your weekend video game agenda?

Hey now, Saoirse is cute. She's one of those people whose appeal comes through in motion, moreso than in stills.

Wirth that said, maybe I'll jump on this diversification bandwagon and toss a little Amber Heard into the mix or something. :p

Jawmuncher

All this talk of changing avatars.
I wish I could partake but GAF seems to know me as the "Dino Crisis Guy" at this point.

Hey now, Saoirse is cute. She's one of those people whose appeal comes through in motion, moreso than in stills.

Wirth that said, maybe I'll jump on this diversification bandwagon and toss a little Amber Heard into the mix or something. :p
You can be Olivia's representative!

TheCloud

Banned
So I've been out of PC gaming for about 8 years now.

Just ordered the parts for a new build and I plan to go balls to the wall this weekend.

What are the essential games that I need to buy on Steam? Let's assume money isn't an issue.

My preferred genres are RTS, TBS, RPG, and TPS but I'm open to trying anything really.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
This is from the last thread, but...
It just seems kind of shitty that a multi-million dollar corporation that can clearly afford to fund its own products would use the service. May not bother other people but seeing this or Square-Enix's crowd-source initiative also kind of raised my hackles.
They're not trying to use Early Access to fund the game; they're attempting to attract a larger number of playtesters than "people who stumble across the official website" for the closed beta. And you could argue that's cheap too, but I'm inclined to think that Steam allows the devs to reach out to a more varied audience on more varied hardware than the average hired playtester pool. That's always a good thing.

...This isn't to say the game isn't otherwise a textbook example of vomitous, potentially-abusive P2W horseshit. Just saying its presence on Early Access isn't a misuse of the service, or even that shady.

FloatOn

a thousand times yes. Nothing against Tron-ified Olivia Wilde though.

I might join the steamgaf hot girl conga line as well at some point but my quiet campaign of "the bureau is the sleeper hit of the gen guys!" has a little life left.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Just ordered the parts for a new build and I plan to go balls to the wall this weekend.

What are the essential games that I need to buy on Steam? Let's assume money isn't an issue.

My preferred genres are RTS, TBS, RPG, and TPS but I'm open to trying anything really.
Just buy as many games as can. Anything. Buy bundles you don't even care about.

Start with Hotline Miami. Actually play that one.

So many attractive lady avatars. I think I'll change mine after I wake up this afternoon.

Welcome, brother :)

Others can probably advise better on specific games, but for the love of God wait for the next Steam sale (in the next week or two, I think). You'll be able to build a great library for $60, rather than buying one new AAA game at full price. Also start keeping an eye on https://www.humblebundle.com/ for awesome indie game deals (their store is currently running a sale too, and prices there should be comparable to the Steam sale.

TheCloud

Banned
Welcome, brother :)

Others can probably advise better on specific games, but for the love of God wait for the next Steam sale (in the next week or two, I think). You'll be able to build a great library for $60, rather than buying one new AAA game at full price. Also start keeping an eye on https://www.humblebundle.com/ for awesome indie game deals (their store is currently running a sale too, and prices there should be comparable to the Steam sale.

Solid advice, thank you sir.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within is a great game that isn't too hard on the system specs.

Just buy as many games as can. Anything. Buy bundles you don't even care about.

Start with Hotline Miami. Actually play that one.

So many attractive lady avatars. I think I'll change mine after I wake up this afternoon.
Yes, go play Hotline Miami.

JBourne, you are welcome to join the Representatives of Celebrity Crush.

Jawmuncher

Here's a few o
(They may not be PC exclusive but still)

Binary Domain
Resident Evil 6
Enslaved
Deadly Premonition
Primal Carnage (this is an FPS but it has Dinosaurs so I always recommend it)

Also I second hotline miami
I just went off the top of my head sure you'll get some better list's than this

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FEAR 2 -- MB-8B8A1EBF2D6FE75E

t1384967653z1.png

FloatOn

You need the following in your life:

Sleeping Dogs (with the high def texture pack)
Dark Souls (with durante's fix)
Dishonored + dlc
Deus Ex Human Revolution directors cut
Saints Row 4

now for some indies:

Terraria
Rogue Legacy
Hotline Miami
Mark of the Ninja
Don't Starve
Fez
Chivalry
Binding of Isaac

This should keep you busy for awhile.

tjohn86

Has there been any news on when / if GFWL will get ripped out of Dark Souls? Should I just bite the bullet and install it?

That reminds me, posting for a new thread: if you are scared of 503s during steam sales, or just want some random discounts, they all can be yours with no effort at all, if you contact me on steam and take them of my hands.

Cool. I'll keep your offer in mind. I just get a bit of a rush crafting a badge and getting a 90% off coupon. Its probably unhealthy but we all have our fixes.

AsylumX

You should take a look at FTL and Sin of a Solar Empire (get the latest one). That you should scratch your strategy itch...

TheCloud

Banned
Here's a few o
(They may not be PC exclusive but still)

Binary Domain
Resident Evil 6
Enslaved
Deadly Premonition
Primal Carnage (this is an FPS but it has Dinosaurs so I always recommend it)

Also I second hotline miami
I just went off the top of my head sure you'll get some better list's than this

Interesting list, I've heard of Deadly Premonition and from what I gather its survival horror? I forgot to mention that I love survival horror, so if anyone has recommendations in that vein I'm all ears.

Jawmuncher

Can't decide between Carey Mulligan, a Juri cosplayer I like, or Ryan Gosling. If only I could get the three of them together.

There isn't enough juri love in the world so that has my vote. Or Ryan Gosling there aren't enough sexy guys on GAF either.

Interesting list, I've heard of Deadly Premonition and from what I gather its survival horror? I forgot to mention that I love survival horror, so if anyone has recommendations in that vein I'm all ears.

It's not necessarily Survival Horror but it has horror aspects. If you have ever seen Twin Peaks it's like that. Though be warned it's a bit of campy but that's part of the charm of it

Has there been any news on when / if GFWL will get ripped out of Dark Souls? Should I just bite the bullet and install it?

Is there an official GFWL death thread? I see threads for Batman, and Bioshock 2. I have a bunch of games in my backlog that have GFWL and I need to decide if I should play them asap before GFWL dies or wait till they are freed.

Yeah, this is already on my must-have list. XCOM is my kind of game.

I'll third this. Xcom with Enemy Within is my GOTY at the moment. Its an intense game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom