• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Does anyone have any experience with any Android PC remote apps? Like if I wanted to play Football Manager at work, are they good enough for that?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has there been any news on when / if GFWL will get ripped out of Dark Souls? Should I just bite the bullet and install it?

None. GFWL's sunset date is still ~7 months away so I wouldn't expect the less proactive publishers to formally announce plans until the day is closer.

FloatOn

Interesting list, I've heard of Deadly Premonition and from what I gather its survival horror? I forgot to mention that I love survival horror, so if anyone has recommendations in that vein I'm all ears.

not exactly survival horror but you mentioned you like TPS and XCOM.

grab The Bureau when it hits $15-20. The story is kind of lame but the combat is

franco-so-good.gif

oh also! how the fuck did I not remember to pimp out Alan Wake on pc? It's the definitive version.

Hasney

I need to try Alpha Protocol again. Think I did the missions in the wrong order or something as I was really enjoying it, then found some guitar playing boss to be way OP compared to my character.

Aitor

time to give back:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Aitor:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you past.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Pid -- MB-420AD27C7C3E67D8 - Taken by Prophane33
Legends of Dawn -- MB-1278732CA540D516 - Taken by tylergregg
King's Bounty Warriors of the North -- MB-4967727F30FCEC7F - Taken by Blitzhex

chronomac

Someone take these things, left over from my last giveaway:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 24 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gratuitous Space Battles Multiplayer -- MB-C897AC43F3F0D3FD
Gratuitous Space Battles Multiplayer #2 -- MB-4872BA357981B963
Tidalis (CD Key) -- MB-C81333A0C1359AA7
Tidalis (CD Key) #2 -- MB-2E4F3C262712C4BF - Taken by swx

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there an official GFWL death thread? I see threads for Batman, and Bioshock 2. I have a bunch of games in my backlog that have GFWL and I need to decide if I should play them asap before GFWL dies or wait till they are freed.

This is what we know thus far:

All we know so far is:

- Batman: Arkham Asylum and City are having GFWL replaced with Steamworks (with the GOTY flavours already at this point)
- BioShock 2 has had GFWL replaced with Steamworks
- Epic is discussing internally what to do with Bulletstorm
- Codemasters is removing GFWL from Dirt 3, while Dirt 2, F1 2010/2011, Fuel, and Operation Flashpoint: Red River "are being looked at"
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is having GFWL removed (no word yet on whether Steamworks will replace it)
- GFWL is being removed from various Capcom games, but again we don't yet know if Steamworks will be put in its stead

Everything else is up in the air at this juncture.

Edit: Added sources.

Capcom's supposed plans haven't been verified by anyone here (I tried e-mailing myself but was ignored), so take that particular source with some salt.

So I've been out of PC gaming for about 8 years now.

Just ordered the parts for a new build and I plan to go balls to the wall this weekend.

What are the essential games that I need to buy on Steam? Let's assume money isn't an issue.

My preferred genres are RTS, TBS, RPG, and TPS but I'm open to trying anything really.

Get Fallout New Vegas, mod it to hell and back. You won't need another game for 80+ hours, it will look and perform wonderfully, and it will be the most rewarding RPG you've played in terms of quests and world building lore.

Darwinia/Multiwinia
Skulls of the Shogun
Path of Exile (free Diablo 3 that should have been)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Civilization V Gold Edition
Alpha Protocol because it's fucking GREAT.

Don't get Hotline Miami, do get FTL. Hotline Miami evokes and emulates infantile disposable trash, FTL evokes and emulates beautiful dangerous COSMOS.

So I've been out of PC gaming for about 8 years now.

Just ordered the parts for a new build and I plan to go balls to the wall this weekend.

What are the essential games that I need to buy on Steam? Let's assume money isn't an issue.

My preferred genres are RTS, TBS, RPG, and TPS but I'm open to trying anything really.

For strategy check out Total War series. Not sure if Rome 2 issues have been fixed yet but Shogun 2 or the older ones hold very well and are awesome, must for every pc gamer.

For indies grab Super Hexagon, it should be on sale for a dollar next week. Simple yet challenging game, good bang for your buck.

Jawmuncher

I'm anti-Alpha Protocol. I'm down for this debate anytime.

I'm middle ground for Alpha Protocol.
It had good ideas going for it but I found the execution to be highly lacking.
TO be fair I did play the PS3 version so im not sure if the PC version is better patch wise.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
There isn't enough juri love in the world so that has my vote. Or Ryan Gosling there aren't enough sexy guys on GAF either.

I'm leaning towards Juri. I already have an avatar that I'm using on another forum. Carey Mulligan is the one true waifu, though.

Does anyone have any experience with any Android PC remote apps? Like if I wanted to play Football Manager at work, are they good enough for that?
I use Splashtop on my home network, and it's great. I played Rayman Origins the other night. Ran fine. I haven't used it away from home, though. That feature costs $16.99 for a year.

Jørdan

hottie diversity is very much needed
Not that you'll see her much mind as I'm a compulsive lurker.

My £5.75 wallet funds eagerly await DAO:U @ 70% off, had the funds for 75% like the previous sales but the bastards cut it down by 5 and and I was pennies short. Months later I'm now ready, I hope.

Was worried when I woke up this morning and didn't see this on the front page. Needed a safe haven from all that scary next gen stuff brewing around outside.

Parsnip

This is what we know thus far:

Capcom's supposed plans haven't been verified by anyone here (I tried e-mailing myself but was ignored), so take that particular source with some salt.

Unless I'm misremembering, I think the ITSP was confirmed to be moving to Steamworks in a tweet from the dev. But I have no idea how to search such things on twitter, so maybe I dreamt it.

AsylumX

I love when someone shows up and says "hey, I'm new to PC gaming... games..." and the whole thread jumps vouching for certain games and throwing under the truck games others recommended...

The_Monk

My good people, be honest, for someone who never heavily modded a game, how hard can it be?

I'm saving a game and all it's DLC in my Library for maybe the cold Winter (to play all warm and comfy) and I'm wondering how difficult can it be considering I'm really bad at tweaking little things and I just want to improve the game without adding more things.

I mean, if it helps the game to look better, having less bugs, less crashes, faster loading and more details to the environment then I'm all up for it, but I wanted to keep story and the integrity of the game "natural" if you understand. My fears are justified because the lack of my own knowledge and I really fear losing saves or having constant game freezes/crashes.

Knurek

I'm anti-Alpha Protocol. I'm down for this debate anytime.

It's really janky. Buggy as hell on PC as well. Character and difficulty progression is gimped unless you specialize in stealth+pistols (and if you do, some of the boss fights are way, way hard).
Still, made me swear much less than Witcher 2 did, FWIW.
pcgaming.gif

Hasney

My good people, be honest, for someone who never heavily modded a game, how hard can it be?

I'm saving a game and all it's DLC in my Library for maybe the cold Winter (to play all warm and comfy) and I'm wondering how difficult can it be considering I'm really bad at tweaking little things and I just want to improve the game without adding more things.

I mean, if it helps the game to look better, having less bugs, less crashes, faster loading and more details to the environment then I'm all up for it, but I wanted to keep story and the integrity of the game "natural" if you understand. My fears are justified because the lack of my own knowledge and I really fear losing saves or having constant game freezes/crashes.

Most games are fine, it really just depends on that game itself. Google it and see what ype of mods are about, but if it has Workshop support, even better.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

What's the game?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
New thread? Nice!

On topic: IndieGameStand is on fire lately with these already greenlit games.

I know this is not steam related, but since this is the best PC thread on this corner of the Internet, let me rejoice about the games i've purchased recently on an antiques fair:

Marathon 2
Witchaven
Rise of the Triad

Nostalgia to the max, I never imagined I would find those games over here in Portugal, on a street fair nonetheless. 1€ for each too!

It depends on the game, what you're trying to do, and whether the mod is done by someone else. If you're just tweaking variables in the .ini config files, then it's not too hard, as long as the .ini files aren't baked into the .exe, which makes it harder to get mods working. If you're installing mods made by someone else, it's pretty easy to install those.

Most mods don't mess up save files unless you accidentally delete something important in the process.

The_Monk

I know this is not steam related, but since this is the best PC thread on this corner of the Internet, let me rejoice about the games i've purchased recently on an antiques fair:

Marathon 2
Witchaven
Rise of the Triad

Nostalgia to the max, I never imagined I would find those games over here in Portugal, on a street fair nonetheless. 1€ for each too!

Interesting...! Amazing price too, I'm amazed.

FloatOn

I don't apologize for guilty pleasures. I struggle to take blindly shitting on a series one has never played seriously.

Is this about what I said about asscreed or dead rising? what constitutes playing seriously?

if playing seriously means playing every game in a series or playing a game to completion, then I suppose I don't because I don't really have time for that. Does that invalidate my view? I wouldn't think so.

I'd love to finish The Witcher 2, but it's one of those games that I enjoy while I'm playing, but forget while I'm not. Unlike, say, the Souls games that had me turning corners with my arms up in real life.

I'm waiting on another Alpha Protocol sale. I'm digging spy things, lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom