• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamek

This may sound dumb, but in the 90s I remember a service called mplayer and there were lobbies where you could chat with bros etc before choosing what game to play - etc. Is there any main STEAM chat lobby or anything where the whole steam community can just chat before jumping into a game, or is it only in game lobby chat for the most part?

This may sound dumb, but in the 90s I remember a service called mplayer and there were lobbies where you could chat with bros etc before choosing what game to play - etc. Is there any main STEAM chat lobby or anything where the whole steam community can just chat before jumping into a game, or is it only in game lobby chat for the most part?

You have the gaf steam group chat if you are part of the gaf group.

coopolon

Got Borderlands 2 over the Steam sale because my friends got it and I wanted to play with them. I never learn my lesson. Did the exact same thing with Borderlands 1. Buy it for way more than it's worth to play it with friends and just find it completely uninteresting. Even in co-op. I find the leveling system unrewarding, I never like any of the guns I find, and the story is...well.

Now, having said all that, this game is much much better than Borderlands 1. The top thing is that even though the story continues to be stupid, the writing/voice acting is incredible.. Some of the characters are genuinely some of the funniest characters I've ever come across in a video game.

The other problem I have is my friends play WAY more than I do so I'm always underleveled and the game is terrible at dealing with this problem. Either I join their game and am worthless and die constantly or they join my game and get no XP. Hopefully now that GW2 has been out co-op games with levels will learn their lesson and start actually accomodating groups of friends who have this problem.

Tonight I figured I'd spend a few hours trying to catch up and the single player is really bad. It's too hard, but not hard in a fun way. I can win fights, but the way I win fights is always crouching behind whatever cover I can and moving very slowly and carefully. There's a place for gameplay like that, I just don't think Borderlands is it.

Ugh, I really want to like this game, just like I really wanted to like Borderlands 1, but I guess they're just not for me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wait, so you dont like borderlands 2 or you like borderlands 2?

I found it to be tedious work.

Or as I felt in full:

A bland loot-based ARPG with tons of terrible loot and a sense of humor so awful that it becomes offensive. The quest design is just as tedious as it was in the previous game and the co-op feels broken with the way it scales enemy health. The environment looks more interesting than the previous game, but after the tenth time running through an area to hand in quest you just stop caring.

Sober

Borderlands 1 felt like a chore, and I am used to playing MMOs.

I'm definitely waiting for < 10$ or GOTY compilation before picking up BL2.

coopolon

I found it to be tedious work.

Or as I felt in full:

A bland loot-based ARPG with tons of terrible loot and a sense of humor so awful that it becomes offensive. The quest design is just as tedious as it was in the previous game and the co-op feels broken with the way it scales enemy health. The environment looks more interesting than the previous game, but after the tenth time running through an area to hand in quest you just stop caring.

I think it's pretty funny. I also thought Bulletstorm was funny though, so, I guess that explains that.

Yah, the way the quests and levels work together are awful. There's one area that's something canyon, and as far as I can tell, to get to one area you have to go through the entire level killing guys you've killed 5 times already. And of course they put multiple quests at the end of this long canyon, but you can't do them all at once either, you have to beat one to start the next one, etc. And heaven forbid you fall off a ledge, because then you have to do it all over again.

Slight caveat: there may be shortcuts to bypass some of this level. I tried looking for them, but the map is so awful it is of no help. You can tell where there are walls, but you can't tell whether it's a wall that you are will be at the bottom or top of.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I know that area and it did indeed prove how fucking useless their maps are.

Don't worry you get told to go back there at least two more times later in the game. Just for a pointless fetch quest of course.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Borderlands 2 is the only reason I still have my old 570 installed (GPU-accelerated PhysX), and I lost interest in the game rather quickly. I ought to sell the card and purchase a second 670.

Also, in the absence of Midweek Madness, I decided to purchase Castle Crashers and Super Hexagon.

sale is over? Nice. no more tempts to buy anything.

Christmas/Winter Sale in four weeks, though. Start saving! Again!

OK, I bought 4 packs of Torchlight 2, Chivalry, and a 2-pack of OMD2. If you missed those on sale and still want one then you can PM me and paypal me the money.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh fuck, 6th place on the previous thread and I've been here for less than 6 months. Maybe that's a hint that I'm wasting too much time on GAF?

Nah, nothing's more important than GAF. Let the Winter Seal come!

Caerith

Oh fuck, 6th place on the previpus thread and I've been here for less than 6 months. Maybe that's a hint that I'm wasting too much time on GAF?

Nah, nothing's more important than GAF. Let the Winter Seal come!
If only it was a hint about who the girl in JaseC's avatar is.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Feels good to be apart of pc gaming. I ordered the last of my parts. Should have it up and running by mid-week, hopefully.

I'm already thinking about what I want to buy during the Winter Sale, and I've literally just bought every single game I thought I wanted during the Autumn Sale. Goddamn PC gaming!

jediyoshi

Have keys for these leftover from the THQ bundle, sellin for $1.7 each

Red Faction Armageddon
Red Faction Guerrilla
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

edit: space marine, armageddon taken

Exuro

I've played about 5 hours of Castle Crashers so far. Offline performance is great but when I play online I'm getting a lot of slowdowns. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom