• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why i ask for help on this thread...after my asking for help in Mount & Blade: Warband:

A07wx.jpg

zkylon You helped me to not miss a great game :) good advices :)

AND thanks to IblisGinjo for the game :)

GAF!

No problem, glad you enjoy it.

I've played about two hours and am kind of confused. I've enjoyed what I've played but I don't know if I should chalk up said confusion to my inexperience with the 4x strategy genre or the fact that this is a work in progress. It's probably a combination of both. The tutorials have been helpful but even with them I'm kind of stabbing in the dark with certain aspects.

I found the economy difficult to manage, I didn't have a particularly large fleet (five ships with one hero), I had two heroes managing two different solar systems, but I think I chose some of the wrong exploits per planet and system, the game seems kind of unforgiving if you do that. I don't know what I was doing wrong with some planets but I couldn't get the population up. And I was losing money with the improvements I was building. They aren't fire and forget improvements, I guess you have to blow some away.

I don't know if I was playing incorrectly by putting all of my research into the exploration tech tree, I don't know if I should've spread my research to all branches (probably).

Competing civilizations systems appeared out of nowhere after a hundred turns or so and had these massive borders that simply dominated and ate up mine. I don't know how they accomplished that or what I was doing wrong.

When a system of mine got blockaded I couldn't send my fleet to that system, so you have to always maintain a ship or fleet at each system? Is that what you're supposed to do? Seems expensive.

The battles aren't turned based, they're just a movie with of the two fleets strafing each other with three phases, long, medium and short range combat. There are different weapons that are supposed to be used at each stage. All I ever had were kinetic weapons which are only useful at close range. Sometimes the battles allow you to choose if you want auto or manual, and other times you can't do anything. It seems like when conflict is a lost cause you can't do anything to your fleet? I had no problems fending off raiders and pirates but the moment a competing civ declared war on me, they just wiped me out. that's when I quit the game. I didn't know what I was doing wrong in the other aspects of the game and had no recourse with the war, the ships they were making stomped over the few I could make.

There are probably certain things which are simply patently obvious to genre vets, but I'm kind of scratching my head.

I'm actually installing Sins of a Solar Empire, which I never played, because I hope that will better ease me into the genre.

zkylon

zkylewd
If anyone's interested, I'm giving away my spare CS:GO beta key on Steamgifts. Since GAF's been kind to me in the past, it's GAF members only, so quote to see the link :)

Really interested in the SEGA Genesis Pack 5, seems like the best of the bunch.

What else is there left to release? That's mostly it, right? We'll never see Pulseman on Steam, thanks a lot Nintendo ;_;

ArjanN

Really interested in the SEGA Genesis Pack 5, seems like the best of the bunch.

What else is there left to release? That's mostly it, right? We'll never see Pulseman on Steam, thanks a lot Nintendo ;_;

Yeah Genesis is mostly done, I'd say.

Time for them to move on to Jet Set Radio HD, Shenmue HD, Skies of Arcadia HD etc.

I found the economy difficult to manage, I didn't have a particularly large fleet (five ships with one hero), I had two heroes managing two different solar systems, but I think I chose some of the wrong exploits per planet and system, the game seems kind of unforgiving if you do that. I don't know what I was doing wrong with some planets but I couldn't get the population up. And I was losing money with the improvements I was building. They aren't fire and forget improvements, I guess you have to blow some away.

I don't know if I was playing incorrectly by putting all of my research into the exploration tech tree, I don't know if I should've spread my research to all branches (probably).

Competing civilizations systems appeared out of nowhere after a hundred turns or so and had these massive borders that simply dominated and ate up mine. I don't know how they accomplished that or what I was doing wrong.

When a system of mine got blockaded I couldn't send my fleet to that system, so you have to always maintain a ship or fleet at each system? Is that what you're supposed to do? Seems expensive.

The battles aren't turned based, they're just a movie with of the two fleets strafing each other with three phases, long, medium and short range combat. There are different weapons that are supposed to be used at each stage. All I ever had were kinetic weapons which are only useful at close range. Sometimes the battles allow you to choose if you want auto or manual, and other times you can't do anything. It seems like when conflict is a lost cause you can't do anything to your fleet? I had no problems fending off raiders and pirates but the moment a competing civ declared war on me, they just wiped me out. that's when I quit the game. I didn't know what I was doing wrong in the other aspects of the game and had no recourse with the war, the ships they were making stomped over the few I could make.

There are probably certain things which are simply patently obvious to genre vets, but I'm kind of scratching my head.

I'm actually installing Sins of a Solar Empire, which I never played, because I hope that will better ease me into the genre.

So food and farms will increase your population faster. They get further bonuses depending on what type of planet they are. The more people, the higher production, so everything will go faster from there.

If you're losing money adjust your taxes. You'll have some unhappy people but you won't be losing as much money. Also look into firing heroes as they take dust per turn as well.

The border stuff I'm still figuring out. You have outposts and then they get upgraded to be part of your civilization so until then they can still be taken over "peacefully" (they will hate you for doing this, it's just not outright declaring war) just by sitting ships there and influencing them.

Likewise I'm trying to figure out the combat. I'm glad it's not entirely real time, more just turn based with a timer. And when left to auto the computer seems to lose more battles than win, so at some point I need to figure out how to manually battle, but I don't usually play military in these games so I just haven't had enough battles to figure it out.

Sins is much more of an rts than this so I'm not sure how much that will help you in this lol.

My one big beef right now is how stuff is connected. I love the exploration part of these games. I'm usually the first one to have everything scouted and I love knowing where everything and everyone is. The way this is set up is very corridory and if you get bottlenecked by two assholes blocking you then you can never get out and explore and you get stuck in a corner just sitting and building. I just got to wormhole stuff in the last area of my game so I'm trying that out but that doesn't seem very promising as it just opens up a few shortcuts. I'll keep trying as it might be more diplomacy focused (get everyone to have open borders with you if you want to explore freely).

zulux21

the new indie royale is up

Dungeon Defenders for: steam (pc and mac), windows, desura
Containment: The Zombie Puzzler for: steam (pc), windows, desura
Data Jammers: FastForward for: steam (pc), windows, desura
Brainpipe - A Plunge to Unhumanity for: steam (pc and mac), windows, mac, desura
Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space for: windows, desura

dungeon defenders is a lot of fun for people who don't mind tower defense games... don't know about the others.

ElRenoRaven

Well I think I will finally buy Arkham City. After the way they handled it with the Catwoman stuff on consoles I said I would not buy it till it was 10 to 15 bucks tops. Now that it is I will.

camerooni

Neo Member
Weekend deal is up, great price (at least in the UK)

Batman Arkham City - £9.99 (50% off)

The DLC is also 66% off.

Great daily too!

Transformers: War for Cybertron - 75% off!

15usd in AU.. something can't be right.. entire world falling apart.. or Valve taking heed of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission looking into digital pricing?

Nah.. probably will be caught in a few hours :p

Megadrive collection is 10 for the pack rather than 7.50, and listed as genesis collection :( I don't want to play 'Beyond Oasis' - I want to play 'Story of Thor', actually.. crap PAL conversion.. I'll take Beyond Oasis :)

the new indie royale is up

Dungeon Defenders for: steam (pc and mac), windows, desura
Containment: The Zombie Puzzler for: steam (pc), windows, desura
Data Jammers: FastForward for: steam (pc), windows, desura
Brainpipe - A Plunge to Unhumanity for: steam (pc and mac), windows, mac, desura
Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space for: windows, desura

dungeon defenders is a lot of fun for people who don't mind tower defense games... don't know about the others.

This might be the first one I skip. Own DD and Brainpipe and the other two steam games look like... Trash.

The Batman Arkham Bundle is $29.99:
Includes 6 items: Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition, Batman: Arkham City, Batman Arkham City: Arkham City Skins Pack, Batman Arkham City: Robin Bundle, Batman Arkham City: Nightwing Bundle, Batman Arkham City: Challenge Map Pack

I do not own any of them, but getting the two games plus all current DLC for $30, is okay. My only issue is the GFWL stuff, I'll have to research that.

*Edit* Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition is $6.80

So, about that Data Jammers: FastForward from the Indie Royale...

I had it wishlisted since it came out, so it was the main reason why I insta-bought the bundle. I installed it right after getting the Steam key and... I beat the main game in a little more than an hour without fully understanding what the hell was going on :lol

The only crashes I had were on level two, after beating the level and trying to download the global high scores. It's not a bad game, but it's way too chaotic for my tastes.

And you know what's funny? Well, I'm the #1 player in the world right now. Just after an hour and a half.

Steam agrees. I guess not too many people bought this game :lol

EDIT: Damn. Batman:AA is never going to be cheaper than 5€, right? :(

The Batman Arkham Bundle is $29.99:
Includes 6 items: Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition, Batman: Arkham City, Batman Arkham City: Arkham City Skins Pack, Batman Arkham City: Robin Bundle, Batman Arkham City: Nightwing Bundle, Batman Arkham City: Challenge Map Pack

I do not own any of them, but getting the two games plus all current DLC for $30, is okay. My only issue is the GFWL stuff, I'll have to research that.

GFWL or not. Both are fantastic games, some of the best this generation imo, and well worth twice as much.

HoosTrax

I had it wishlisted since it came out, so it was the main reason why I insta-bought the bundle. I beat the main game in a little more than an hour without fully understanding what the hell was going on :lol

The only crashes I had were on level two, after beating the level and trying to download the global high scores. It's not a bad game, but it's way too chaotic for my tastes.

And you know what's funny? Well, I'm the #1 player in the world right now. Just after an hour and a half.

EDIT: Damn. Batman:AA is never going to be cheaper than 5€, right? :(
I'm getting a distinct AudioSurf vibe watching the trailer for the game.

So, quick question. I bought Arkham City on Green Man Gaming ages ago, if I buy the DLC on Steam, can I just link it to my GFWL account? Do they give you codes?

Thanks.

Wok

[...]

You got 143% of the score of the second. Either you are very good at this game, either people are not trying hard enough.

Here is a souvenir for you. You never know when this score will get beaten.

And overall achievements are here: 10.6% of the people got once in the top 10% players, and 1.2% in the top 1%. So this means people are not really trying.

camerooni

Neo Member
Man would have gone for Batman ... but with the recently announce GOTY edition I will pass, thanks!

The problem is when a GOTY edition is a separate release.. makes sense in a retail box.. but now they want their digital cake and getting to eat it as well..

If there was no difference between the GOTY edition - other than being a collection of the original and all the DLC and original buyers can buy any extras and get a functionally equivalent copy it would all be sweet. The problem is when there is one or two extras to try to milk more money out of the early adopters/fans by selling another copy..

It also has the long-term negative effect of making the bulk of the audience/cashflow (non-fans) hold off to just buy the 'inevitable' complete set.. screwing over those willing to give you more money.. surely you can only last so long before you realise you're just screwing yourself in the end?

(I'm just still bitter than I have 'Batman: Arkham Asylum' in my Steam Library despite it being removed and linking to the GOTY edition, and being almost functionally equivalent bar 2 or so Challenge maps - it also screws things up in game listings etc. throughout steam as some parts seem to think I own the GOTY edition while others don't.. it's just annoying)

camerooni

Neo Member
So, quick question. I bought Arkham City on Green Man Gaming ages ago, if I buy the DLC on Steam, can I just link it to my GFWL account? Do they give you codes?

Thanks.

Can't buy DLC on Steam unless you own the base game on Steam..
Saves on the support headaches since Valve don't really have any ;)

zulux21

Free Sanctum DLC just hit the store today. It's called Sanctum: Yogscave. Not sure if this is a limited time freebie, but it'd probably be wise to grab it while you can.

the patch yesterday made it sound like it's just a free DLC in general not a limited time one. Either way thanks for the heads up as the patch also made it sound like it would be out yesterday and I forgot to check today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom