• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
First person to quote this gets either Dungeon Defenders or Brainpipe. Their choice. Whoever is second gets the left over. If you don't want the leftover and you quoted it just edit it out. You can only have one.

zulux21

Containment is really nice if you like Zombies & Bejeweled
that is the one that is of the most interest to me, but my backlog on pc alone is over 300.... so I am going to try to stay strong @_@
The bundle costs 3.90€, and Containment costs 3.99€ on Steam. If you just want this game, wait for the Summer sales or a Daily Deal.

if you want just that game that is the correct thing to do. if you have interest in other games or like trying games out blindly though the bundle is very tempting :p

zulux21

How's the Dungeon Defenders community? Still pretty active? I'm thinking about picking this one up.
it's currently the 20th most played game on steam today with 4,397 people playing it according to steam. I would consider that pretty active personally.

As for how easy it would be to get into a game and play with others... if that is what you mean by active... I can't really comment on that as I don't play online with people I don't know. but last time I was on there were at least a ton of player shops to go through.

So food and farms will increase your population faster. They get further bonuses depending on what type of planet they are. The more people, the higher production, so everything will go faster from there.

Weird I had set the exploit of my starter planet to be food production but the moment I started to colonise other planets within that system (I dumped all of my research into exploration so I could colonise the world types in my immediate system and those nearby) my starter world became a ghost town.

If you're losing money adjust your taxes. You'll have some unhappy people but you won't be losing as much money. Also look into firing heroes as they take dust per turn as well.

Two of my three heroes were governing systems and had all of their skills to boost system output of whatever my chosen exploit was (on the initial colonised world). The only one that was an outright financial drain was the one I had in my fleet. I think the fleet and building improvements were costing me more Dust than the heroes, even though they were starting to get price-ier as they leveled up.

I also tanked my economy by trying to up the production speed at which a colony ship was made. I screwed up when making my fleet and managed to create an empty colony ship instead of producing a new colony ship.

The border stuff I'm still figuring out. You have outposts and then they get upgraded to be part of your civilization so until then they can still be taken over "peacefully" (they will hate you for doing this, it's just not outright declaring war) just by sitting ships there and influencing them.

I think part of my problem was that I was researching a tech tree that might've been counter to the leanings of the race I had chosen. I was using Terrans, focusing on exploration when they're all about military and economy. They even highlight important techs for your race in orange on the tech tree. The system whose border got enveloped by the Horatio first appearing wasn't an outpost anymore, it was a full fledged colony and thus had a border and was part of my empire.

Likewise I'm trying to figure out the combat. I'm glad it's not entirely real time, more just turn based with a timer. And when left to auto the computer seems to lose more battles than win, so at some point I need to figure out how to manually battle, but I don't usually play military in these games so I just haven't had enough battles to figure it out.

You can research different weapon types for the different ranges but there are also wild cards you can purchase for combat. I haven't figured out yet where you buy those. And I obviously need to spread out my tech research amoung more branches and focus on the important techs for the race.

Sins is much more of an rts than this so I'm not sure how much that will help you in this lol.

Alright, then I'll just muddle my way through Endless Space for a while until things start to click better.

My one big beef right now is how stuff is connected. I love the exploration part of these games. I'm usually the first one to have everything scouted and I love knowing where everything and everyone is. The way this is set up is very corridory and if you get bottlenecked by two assholes blocking you then you can never get out and explore and you get stuck in a corner just sitting and building. I just got to wormhole stuff in the last area of my game so I'm trying that out but that doesn't seem very promising as it just opens up a few shortcuts. I'll keep trying as it might be more diplomacy focused (get everyone to have open borders with you if you want to explore freely).

Ha ha, I was just starting to get to diplomatic relations when the Cravers wiped me out. My bad for swapping out the Terrans for the Cravers at the start of the game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Noob question regarding Steam: How I do stop downloads from pausing when I play a game?

There's no elegant way or checkbox you tick in the options. When you start a game, alt-tab and bring up your Steam client, resume download, then alt-tab back.

Edit: SCREW ALL OF YOU.

Valve really needs to add an option where games can be flagged as online-required, so that those games pause downloads but all others do not.

So I've been wanting to get Saints Row 3 at a low price so I could get all the DLC along with it, but it really all seems to be junk. I may just buy the game at whatever lowest price I can find and be happy with just that.

Weird I had set the exploit of my starter planet to be food production but the moment I started to colonise other planets within that system (I dumped all of my research into exploration so I could colonise the world types in my immediate system and those nearby) my starter world became a ghost town.

I believe every time you make a colony ship (or whatever it calls them) it costs one of your people units (the little dudes surrounding the planet). Why you can't colonize a planet in the same system or make one of those ships sometimes. So if you're expanding too fast that can happen easily.

Two of my three heroes were governing systems and had all of their skills to boost system output of whatever my chosen exploit was (on the initial colonised world). The only one that was an outright financial drain was the one I had in my fleet. I think the fleet and building improvements were costing me more Dust than the heroes, even though they were starting to get price-ier as they leveled up.

I also tanked my economy by trying to up the production speed at which a colony ship was made. I screwed up when making my fleet and managed to create an empty colony ship instead of producing a new colony ship.

Obviously I have a lot to learn because I don't know how an empty colony ship is possible in this game (I didn't see a pop slider like in other games, so I assumed if it was built, it had a population on board). And yeah that could very well be. Like I said I rarely play with a large military so if you have lots of fleets, the upkeep on them could easily be the drain.
The main civ screen (the spreadsheet looking one) needs a little bit of work because it's hard to really see some of that stuff at first glance and you have to dive into the individual system screens which is a huge waste of time. Luckily, after digging around their forum a bit, I found that this is one of the first things they plan on fixing.
I think part of my problem was that I was researching a tech tree that might've been counter to the leanings of the race I had chosen. I was using Terrans, focusing on exploration when they're all about military and economy. They even highlight important techs for your race in orange on the tech tree. The system whose border got enveloped by the Horatio first appearing wasn't an outpost anymore, it was a full fledged colony and thus had a border and was part of my empire.

That's where some of this stuff comes in. You have to decide on whether to get your specialty even higher above everyone else, or fill in the gaps of your weaknesses. Both can be useful, so obviously that's where some of the strategy comes in.

You can research different weapon types for the different ranges but there are also wild cards you can purchase for combat. I haven't figured out yet where you buy those. And I obviously need to spread out my tech research amoung more branches and focus on the important techs for the race.
Yeah I haven't ever gotten terribly far in the military branch ever and I see some of the other stuff like 'sabotage' in the research branch so I think it'll be a while till a lot of battle stuff starts opening up for me.

Alright, then I'll just muddle my way through Endless Space for a while until things start to click better.

If you've ever played any other civ game you should start to notice a lot of the similarties coming out when you understand the systems more. Then it'll be really easy to pick up and make correct assumptions on how other, further, more complicated stuff will react.

I'm also amazed at the lack of bugs I've been running into. There has been only one major one (the queueing of research, but they're well aware of that as it's the largest thread on their bug forum and said a fix was coming soon) and other than that it's pretty polished.

Also to add to the alt tab discussion up there. It's been two or three times now where I've started a game and none of my downloads paused. I mentioned it a few days ago but I guess it got lost in the shuffle.

kennah

Dang, I thought I'd be able to use that fancy online downloader to start Sanctum from work, but it's not showing up in my installable games (like it does with free weekends when you're logged into the Steam client) Tempted to just get the complete pack anyway,haha.

Gaf, do I have to deal with GFWL if I'm buying Batman AA GOTY?

I just got this, first GFWL game. As for GFWL, couple of minutes to set it up, but it doesn't seem bad. I know it has a bad rep that's why I've avoided games with it, maybe there were some early issues with it. I'll get Arkham City later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom