• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interested in a copy of the original Torchlight? I have three to give away from our 4-pack (two of them courtesy of Sye d'Burns and NZNova). First three replies can have 'em.

Apparently I've been a member of that ''wrong'' Rockstar group for a while too. Wow that's stupid because I'm guessing I joined it because of something similar to this, join Rockstar and get a chance to win a free game or something.

Joe Molotov

Is mlb2k12 any good? Since my ps3 is gone I can't play the show, and for $10 on amazon I might grab the steam version

I don't think you can register MLB2k12 on Steam if you buy it on Amazon.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb. There's a Steam version too.

HoosTrax

The same Rockstar user account is in charge of both. I think the issue might have been that Steam has "officially" sanctioned developer/publisher groups, and the old Rockstar community group, while "official" in the sense that it was made by R*, predated the introduction of the Steam concept of "official" groups.

My theory anyways. This should be an easy problem for R* to fix. Just push out free copies to the people in the other group who don't already have it. Unless the Steam "official" publisher groups give them special perks, like the ability to mass send free swag.

graywolf323

The same Rockstar user account is in charge of both. I think the issue might have been that Steam has "officially" sanctioned developer/publisher groups, and the old Rockstar community group, while "official" in the sense that it was made by R*, predated the introduction of the Steam concept of "official" groups.

My theory anyways. This should be an easy problem for R* to fix. Just push out free copies to the people in the other group who don't already have it. Unless the Steam "official" publisher groups give them special perks, like the ability to mass send free swag.

pretty sure that was the case

So i'm looking for a new tower defense game. How is Revenge of the Titans?

It looks pretty cool, but it's not one I hear too much about.

Any opinions on this?

mannerbot

Repping Defender's Quest.

IT FUCKING OWNS

I don't even like tower defense, I still think of it as what bad RTS players play instead of real games.

BUT DEFENDER'S QUEST IS AMAZING (Plants vs Zombies too :p)

And there's a lengthy browser-based demo for it as well so you can give it a real thorough try before deciding on a purchase.

Berto

Any opinions on this?
Try Atom Zombie Smasher, it's a very simple but very rewarding little game. I really liked it, but i usually don't like tower defense games so... i don't know.

Have you tried Dungeon Defenders? it's pretty cool if your into loot.

I agree, and I am.

I'm currently trying to put Steam on my prime SSD, but have my games be on my secondary HDD. I know this is possible, but all of the links I click on have about 50000 steps. Before I do this, does it work and is there any sort of difference in speed (launch, etc.)?

Any opinions on this?

I wasn't a big fan of the learning curve. I feel like the tech purchases you make early in the game (when you don't really know what does what) weighs too heavily as you progress. It is hard to explain.

I like the humor though.

SNIKT!

Alright you guys, i need help. My 360 controller no longer works with steam games. It has always worked fine before, but, now nothing. And it's weird, games that are GFWL, the guide button works but nothing else. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing steam, the controller drivers, everything i could think of. I'm seriously stumped. I know its only steam too, cause i loaded up PoP: forgotten sands and it worked just fine.

Holy crap. My son has been playing LOTR: BFME II on the 360 and wanted to know how much it is on the PC. I checked Steam, GOG and Amazon... and freaked out. Nothing on Steam, nothing on GOG and costs in the $100+ range on Amazon.

WTF?

Holy crap. My son has been playing LOTR: BFME II on the 360 and wanted to know how much it is on the PC. I checked Steam, GOG and Amazon... and freaked out. Nothing on Steam, nothing on GOG and costs in the $100+ range on Amazon.

WTF?

EA doesn't have the rights to LOTR games anymore so it's unlikely that game will ever show up on a DD service.

It's not like it's an image of text, wouldn't have taken much to copy and paste it into a browser and come to the realization that the groups are different.

But unless you did that, you wouldn't have known they were different. And why would you have done that unless you thought they were different to start with?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Alright you guys, i need help. My 360 controller no longer works with steam games. It has always worked fine before, but, now nothing. And it's weird, games that are GFWL, the guide button works but nothing else. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing steam, the controller drivers, everything i could think of. I'm seriously stumped. I know its only steam too, cause i loaded up PoP: forgotten sands and it worked just fine.

Do you have another controller plugged in? I have similar problems when more than one controller is plugged into my computer.

sixclaws

Banned
But, srsly, is it worth it to put my main Steam folder on my prime SSD?

I currently have what you're talking about, with Steam installed on my main SSD and all the games on a HDD. I used Steam Mover and it was really easy except for one or two games that were a bit of trouble, but it was easy to fix. So far my speeds have been fantastic.

Card Boy

Banned
So is there a decent tower defense game that doesn't look like it has 8 bit graphics? Just picked up a gaming capable laptop.

Defence Grid (traditional tower defence)
Swords & Soliders HD
Orcs Must Die
Dungeon Defenders
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Sanctum

Or get Starcraft 2 and download one of the many tower defense maps.

Defence Grid (traditional tower defence)
Swords & Soliders HD
Orcs Must Die
Dungeon Defenders
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Sanctum

Or get Starcraft 2 and download one of the many tower defense maps.

How about Gratuitous Tank Battles? Is it any good? Wait for sale?

I played Defense Grid on the 360. Played Warzone on the iPad. Might try out Orcs Must Die or Dungeon Defenders.

Starcraft 2 is on my wish list too but not at $60.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Comparable or over a 7200rpm?

The difference between the two is astounding. I had to run Portal 2 from my SSD when it released and initial loading screens (i.e. in a fresh instance with no pertinent data sitting in RAM) were no more than a few seconds long and future loading times within the same instance were nigh on instantaneous.

Edit: D'oh, I misread the conversation, haha. I thought you were talking about having Steam and your current game running from the SSD.

sixclaws

Banned
Comparable or over a 7200rpm?

My HDD is a 5400rpm and speeds have been fine, I haven't noticed any significant lag issues playing online and Steam Mover was pretty quick, I believe it was something like 5 minutes or less to move over Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening. I would say I spent less than 1.5 hours moving over 109 games and over 300GB. That's if I understood your question correctly.

Ledsen

My HDD is a 5400rpm and speeds have been fine, I haven't noticed any significant lag issues playing online and Steam Mover was pretty quick, I believe it was something like 5 minutes or less to move over Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening. I would say I spent less than 1.5 hours moving over 109 games and over 300GB. That's if I understood your question correctly.

You don't get lag from a slow HDD, you get long loading times.

Hey guys, I just received this email from Steam. Should I be worried? My profile's private, I've only got a number of people in my friends list (who can't see my profile) and I haven't played seriously on Steam for a couple of weeks.

Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Steam account name: ************

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen.

The Steam Support Team
http://www.steampowered.com

What games did you have problems with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom