• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
As long as it's better than Conviction, I'm happy.

8980434299_4ff8db8745_o.gif

I wonder if XSEED/Nihon have any plans to port the newest Ys game, Memories of Celceta, from Vita to PC.

Let's just say that I've heard from various parts of the grapevine that, due to the engine being used for Celceta, a PC (or even PS3) port might not be entirely out of the question. I think the only hurdle might be the resolution of all the assets - it was designed with the Vita in mind and so some interface and texture clean-up work might be needed for an A+ port.

Seven's more of a non-starter, though. Engine's proprietary, designed for the PSP (along with the low-rez assets) and the existing PC port is... not up to the standards consumers here expect.

Sober

I've never played a Splinter Cell game before.
You can watch playthroughs the first, the second (Pandora Tomorrow), the fourth (Double Agent) and the fifth (Conviction) because they are pretty linear in terms of how you approach moment-to-moment stealth.

Play the third (Chaos Theory) and wonder why it they didn't just copy that formula until it got old.

Conviction is ... well you know how some TPS/action games have stealth sequences? Imagine if it were 6 hours long and was the entire game.

Blacklist is definitely on par to be better than Conviction, because they took what worked in Conviction and slapped more stuff on top of it. Good stuff, apparently. Too bad no one gives a shit about it anyway. And then all the 'hardcore' fans apply silly historical revisionism to it and made the series seem way better than it was anyway.

DukeBobby

Chaos Theory isn't just the best stealth game ever, it's one of the best games of all time, period.

Hitman: Blood Money follows closely behind it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Blacklist is definitely on par to be better than Conviction, because they took what worked in Conviction and slapped more stuff on top of it. Good stuff, apparently. Too bad no one gives a shit about it anyway. And then all the 'hardcore' fans apply silly historical revisionism to it and made the series seem way better than it was anyway.

Blacklist looks like it's trying to please everybody which is a surefire way to please nobody.

maneil99

I loved conviction, that being said it was the first splintercell I played through, chaos theory HD's first level was too boring. Blacklist came free with my 780 so I hope its good. Spies vs Mercs looks great, just hope the PC crowd doesn't die off.

Sober

I loved conviction, that being said it was the first splintercell I played through, chaos theory HD's first level was too boring. Blacklist came free with my 780 so I hope its good. Spies vs Mercs looks great, just hope the PC crowd doesn't die off.
Well lemme tell you about Blacklist ... you can play it almost like did Conviction.

Lemme tell all you fans of Chaos Theory ... it'll probably play like Chaos Theory in a general sense.

Lemme tell you fans of Gears/CoD/Halo ...

Blacklist looks like it's trying to please everybody which is a surefire way to please nobody.
... shit.

In all honesty though it looks like you actually can't play it as as chest-high humping cover shooter because they really want you to keep relocating to not get killed. Oh, who am I kidding?

Actually, it'll play like DXHR, because stealth is the most efficient and rewarding way to play even though you can easily shootbang your way through it.

Finally managed to stop playing Warband for a while. Started a new character and joined the Khan's army. We were at war with the Serranids for a while, currently stomping on the Vaegirs. Horse + lance feels OP, but at least I'm not dying all the time anymore.

Who won that copy of Bioshock: Infinite from the 24 hour raffle?

Milamber

I fired up my old copy of Sim Golf again. Played for like 2 hours. Then pulled out my old Famicom Micro and skilled up my characters for some rounds in Mario Golf: Advance Tour.

I am on a golfing high right now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've never seen a Saorise Ronan film before.

Now that's just inexcusable.

You can watch playthroughs the first, the second (Pandora Tomorrow), the fourth (Double Agent) and the fifth (Conviction) because they are pretty linear in terms of how you approach moment-to-moment stealth.

Play the third (Chaos Theory) and wonder why it they didn't just copy that formula until it got old.

Conviction is ... well you know how some TPS/action games have stealth sequences? Imagine if it were 6 hours long and was the entire game.

Yeah, I've read no shortage of great things about Chaos Theory. It's a pity Pandora Tomorrow isn't on Steam... hell, it's not even on Uplay.

Grief.exe

Yeah, I've read no shortage of great things about Chaos Theory. It's a pity Pandora Tomorrow isn't on Steam... hell, it's not even on Uplay.

Shadows don't render properly.

Which, as you would imagine, is pretty detrimental to a stealth game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For those interested, Dunder posted a new batch of copies of Castlevania: LoS. This time I couldn't resist, damn... I'm so weaaaaak.
One was open so I was playing the demo to be sure but then it was taken, but then one of the others was blanked out so I put my name there. His call, lol.

Ugh, bought two games in one day that aren't coming out for nearly a month. I need to stop, will I even be able to afford Pikmin 3 and Dragon's Crown ;-;

X-Com can't be as bad as Omerta and Aliens though........*crosses fingers*

Grief.exe

I hope Castlevania does really well.

Gives Konami further incentive for a MGSV and Legacy Collection port.

And classic Silent Hill games as well, and ZoE HD, but now I'm getting greedy.

maneil99

I've had like 14 gaffers buy it off me today, like 40 with the steam trading communities seems like alot of people want it. it's outselling Payday 2 and Rome 2 which are alot bigger discounts then it.

Grief.exe

I've had like 14 gaffers buy it off me today, like 40 with the steam trading communities seems like alot of people want it. it's outselling Payday 2 and Rome 2 which are alot bigger discounts then it.

Its about to creep into the top ten and its still about a month out.

Peace Walker would be nice.
No chance in hell.

I can see it happening.

If Konami wants to do a Legacy Collection for next-gen consoles they are going to have to port it to x86/x64 anyways.
If enough demand is shown on PC for MGSV then I can definitely see it happening.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
All I really want from Konami at this point is the original PC versions of Silent Hill 2 and 3 with a few tweaks. They're capable of non-broken widescreen and iirc Silent Hill 3 has built in downsampling among other fairly advanced options in it. The PC versions are there, all they have to do is dig out the floppies they backed up the masters to.

And classic Silent Hill games as well, and ZoE HD, but now I'm getting greedy.

I don't think your being greedy at all, I want this to succeed not only because it was one of my favorite games from when I had a 360, but because I hope it will open Konami's eyes to an untapped market. Hopefully this does well and we'll see some of those games you mentioned.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I immediately regretted purchasing Castlevania this early. It doesn't even have a grid icon yet, which is going to make it stick out like a sore thumb for the rest of the month.

I bought it on the 360 day one and loved it, but it stands as the only game I was unable to play due to the framerate. After about 10-15 minutes, I would have a headache and eyestrain. The demo was smooth as butter, and reminded me of how much I enjoyed the short time I was able to handle the game on the 360.

Bluth54

Yea a game 7 years in development, stopped and restarted 3 times and had like 4 lead designers leave the company over it, I'm sure it'll be just fine.

Well Team Fortress 2 was in development for 9 years and had at least 3 different known versions (a realistic, almost battlefield style version, a Half Life 2 version and the one we have today) and that turned out pretty well.

I don't think anyone left Valve over TF2 though.

Still I hope Xcom is good, it looks interesting.

maneil99

I immediately regretted purchasing Castlevania this early. It doesn't even have a grid icon yet, which is going to make it stick out like a sore thumb for the rest of the month.

I bought it on the 360 day one and loved it, but it stands as the only game I was unable to play due to the framerate. After about 10-15 minutes, I would have a headache and eyestrain. The demo was smooth as butter, and reminded me of how much I enjoyed the short time I was able to handle the game on the 360.

14$ for a improved game, why you mad? Use a custom image if it bothers you :p

Grief.exe

Custom Image

header.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom