• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daellon

Neo Member
So I've passed on Sleeping Dogs a few times now, mainly because I'm not the biggest fan of GTA-type games. Yet there are constant posts on here about how good the game is.

I'm not opposed to sandbox style games (I really enjoy Assassin's Creed), but I don't like the lowbrow aspects of Saints Row or the seedy aspects of GTA. Just personal preference here in that these things just make it hard for to immerse myself in those games.

Should I just stay away? Or am I missing out on a quality game here?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
h71TRsq.png

Just beat Fez (in one sitting. Lolz). This game is pretty amazing. The perspective changing works greatly, gameplay is tight, visuals, soundtrack and sound design are inspired, and you're always finding something new and clever. The wandering around may not appeal to everyone but I liked the open world nature of the game and thought it was very stimulating how it rewards exploration and experimentation. At no point I felt it was being unfair since everything you still need to get in each area is tagged in the map (the map layout is a bit out there but after I got used to it I didn't have trouble navigating). I can see how it can feel frustrating but I'm glad that wasn't the case for me.

I'm pleased with myself because I didn't have to check online for anything. Finished with 24 cubes, 9 anti cubes, 8 treasure maps and 1 artifact. I'll go after the rest of the collectibles and try to keep doing it on my own since it's enjoyable figuring everything out, and the unconventional solutions I saw so far made me smile (
like QR codes, the sequence for the tablet being in an achievement description, controller vibration working as a hint, and so on. And not puzzle related but I burst out laughing at the dealwithit glasses in the new game+
).

I didn't pay much mind to the Phil stuff that's been going on as I always separated the game from his persona, but now I'm bummed about the clusterfuck. I'd like to see a sequel or another game as well-crafted as this with him at the helm. Oh well.

wilflare

Okay... My PC is officially in need of a reformat (the last time it had a clean install was with Windows 7 at release... 2009?) It is lagging, hanging and even Steam takes a few mins to boot :/

Gonna take it apart and clean out the dust... Reapply the thermal paste perhaps... (Gotta find a new tube)

Gonna install Windows 8 on the SSD (it's plugged in but not used)

The worst part about all this is running out of space to backup everything from Steam gamesaves... To iTunes Library and more :/

Wish me luck - my system may not boot again

Tellaerin

Okay... My PC is officially in need of a reformat (the last time it had a clean install was with Windows 7 at release... 2009?) It is lagging, hanging and even Steam takes a few mins to boot :/

Gonna take it apart and clean out the dust... Reapply the thermal paste perhaps... (Gotta find a new tube)

The worst part about all this is running out of space to backup everything from Steam gamesaves... To iTunes Library and more :/

Silly question, but when was the last time you defragged your HD? >.>

Scythian

Do you use Game Save Manager? I just thought it might be of use to anyone, because I recently had to format my drive, and this was really useful.

Freezard

So I've passed on Sleeping Dogs a few times now, mainly because I'm not the biggest fan of GTA-type games. Yet there are constant posts on here about how good the game is.

I'm not opposed to sandbox style games (I really enjoy Assassin's Creed), but I don't like the lowbrow aspects of Saints Row or the seedy aspects of GTA. Just personal preference here in that these things just make it hard for to immerse myself in those games.

Mreh... stay away imo. I don't like SR/GTA either, although I'm trying to learn to like GTA by watching other people that are good at those type of games play it. I mean, obviously many would say Sleeping Dogs IS a quality game but that is true only if you like the genre, it is probably just a decent game for you if you can stand playing it.

It's more like GTA then Saints Row but you don't like both so I dunno. The best way to describe it is a GTA clone expect for the fact that you play a undercover cop instead of a criminal and the fighting system is WAY more fun and probably the main highlight in SLeeping Dogs. If you ever played the Batman Arkham games it's like that.

Enjoy! More Just Cause to come!

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Space Pirates and Zambies -- MB-5F200CA3A4E1B115 - Taken by Pestilence11
Hydrophobia: Prophecy -- MB-B8E22E5CA4B048FC - Taken by Iron Badger
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood -- MB-F4019AF575D96F19 - Taken by Firehead
Bioshock -- MB-3A41A8255B5EB6DA - Taken by Cth
Just Cause -- MB-EF60A1344BC47CF1 - Taken by phantomspiker

Daellon

Neo Member
It's more like GTA then Saints Row but you don't like both so I dunno. The best way to describe it is a GTA clone expect for the fact that you play a undercover cop instead of a criminal and the fighting system is WAY more fun and probably the main highlight in SLeeping Dogs. If you ever played the Batman Arkham games it's like that.

If it's more like the Batman games it might be worth it for me. I enjoyed those games very much.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah you might enjoy it then. Gun fights take a backseat in this game, you'll mostly be fighting hand to hand.

I'll also add that the TPS mechanics are also rather solid. They're not finely-tuned to the degree of, say, Max Payne 3, but they're certainly much better than those seen in the open-world games I'd played before it.

Grief.exe

Mreh... stay away imo. I don't like SR/GTA either, although I'm trying to learn to like GTA by watching other people that are good at those type of games play it. I mean, obviously many would say Sleeping Dogs IS a quality game but that is true only if you like the genre, it is probably just a decent game for you if you can stand playing it.

I couldn't even play through Episodes from Liberty City because the gameplay was so shoddy. And those are supposed to be the best the series has to offer.

Sleeping Dogs is just on another level.

I hate Assassin's Creed so I can't really make the connection on that level though.

I'll also add that the TPS mechanics are also rather solid. They're not finely-tuned to the degree of, say, Max Payne 3, but they're certainly much better than those seen in the open-world games I'd played before it.

They are very good. I was quite impressed, especially after coming off of EFLC.

Salsa

that's a pretty lousy meme, memecenter

also stop talking about a game that'll come out in PC at the end of 2014 or some shit ;_;

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just hope we get GTA5 before it becomes hip to hate the game. Imagine if we got a port of GTA4 now. Everyone would be like, "I'd rather drag my dick through a mile of broken glass rather than pick this game up a second time."

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Today, history was made. After more than 14 years since I started playing it, I finally beat the 4 original episodes of Duke Nukem 3D on Normal and without using cheats. Of course, I had to trade Piece of Cake and DNKROZ for quicksave abuse, but it was still legit.

Now to tackle the expansions. Well, to be accurate I should consider Plutonium Pak/Atomic Edition as an expansion too, which it was back when it was released, but after all that time I now consider The Birth as part of the regular game, and I can't imagine Duke3D without it (even though I still have my old v1.3 CD somewhere). Just like Ultimate Doom with Thy Flesh Consumed.

Today, history was made. After more than 14 years since I started playing it, I finally beat the 4 original episodes of Duke Nukem 3D on Normal and without using cheats. Of course, I had to trade Piece of Cake and DNKROZ for quicksave abuse, but it was still legit.

Now to tackle the expansions. Well, to be accurate I should consider Plutonium Pak/Atomic Edition as an expansion too, which it was back when it was released, but after all that time I now consider The Birth as part of the regular game, and I can't imagine Duke3D without it (even though I still have my old v1.3 CD somewhere). Just like Ultimate Doom with Thy Flesh Consumed.

Rise of the Triad '13 is making want download my gog copy.

Acorn

I just hope we get GTA5 before it becomes hip to hate the game. Imagine if we got a port of GTA4 now. Everyone would be like, "I'd rather drag my dick through a mile of broken glass rather than pick this game up a second time."
I never got the hatred, I've played through it twice on console and I'm probably gonna start another playthrough on pc today.

Still love it.

Razorskin

----- ------

Well there's no Red Dead in sight and people still love that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom