• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

scokem

Neo Member
Well I just checked out Routine and The Forest after seeing you guys mention them and am impressed by both so will be keeping an eye on them. There's something about survival horror that I find enticing despite it usually making me get all on edge and even jumping all the time when done well. I don't know why I do it to myself but I mostly insist on playing them with the blinds shut, lights off and headphones loud - nothing like making the old ticker race unnecessarily...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Old ? Poöf vs the Cursed Kitty! coming to Steam. It's Arkedo (Hell Yeah!) latest game.

BRj5HtICcAA5RJ-.jpg
Loved Hell Yeah! Color me interested.

Well I just checked out Routine and The Forest after seeing you guys mention them and am impressed by both so will be keeping an eye on them. There's something about survival horror that I find enticing despite it usually making me get all on edge and even jumping all the time when done well. I don't know why I do it to myself but I mostly insist on playing them with the blinds shut, lights off and headphones loud - nothing like making the old ticker race unnecessarily...

Routine and an oculus rift is somewhat interesting.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Who's getting Castlevania on launch? Thinking about pre-ordering it. 22,49€ is not a bad price.

I pre-ordered it through Dunder a while ago but I'm not sure if I'll be playing it come release day. I'd intended to play through the game with a mate, who's a big God of War fan, but he recently got a FIFO job and won't be back for four weeks.

fantomena

I never boguht it for any of my consoles so I bet it will be glorious at 60 FPS in 1080p. Love God of War so LoS is probably perfect as a God of War on PC.

FloatOn

I never boguht it for any of my consoles so I bet it will be glorious at 60 FPS in 1080p. Love God of War so LoS is probably perfect as a God of War on PC.

the demo was very nice. if you don't mind paying somewhat of a premium on an old game then I say go for it.

JaseC

First time I've heard about Steam Achievement Manager. People are actually running software to cheat with achievements?

That, and it can also be handy in situations where the achievements themselves are broken (the original Darksiders has one or two of these, I believe).

Deques

First time I've heard about Steam Achievement Manager. People are actually running software to cheat with achievements?

Only those fake achievement hunters use this to get all achievements instantly.

That, and it can also be handy in situations where the achievements themselves are broken (the original Darksiders has one or two of these, I believe).

Darksiders is broken because it doesn't registers properly when an achievement requirement is achieved. Sometimes I had to restart Darksiders and do the procedures again in order to get the achievements. Meaning the achievements aren't really broken. The game is broken

Wok

Gone Home will be released in five hours.
Gone Home, in its standard form, is about exploring a dark house, turning on the lights as you go, unlocking doors and finding audio diaries that tell the story of a year in the life of the Greenbriar family. The dark house is foreboding and atmospheric; the locked doors allow us to arrange the story in some semblance of order as you open up new areas; and Sam’s voice provides a human connection to the story.

When you start a new game, you can optionally choose from four modifiers: All Lights Start On, Disable Map, Unlock All Doors, and Disable Voice Diaries. But of course, all these Modifiers are totally optional– the game with all Modifiers turned off is the canonical way to play, the experience that we’ve designed as intended. But we didn’t want to make Modifiers a New Game+ deal, where you were forced to play through the whole game “our way” before we unlocked the ability to play it “your way.”

All of the modifiers are mix-and-match, to fit how you want to play. I think one interesting experience, for instance, will be for players to try turning off Audio Diaries, exploring as much of the house as they can, then starting a new game with Audio Diaries turned on, to reveal a new side of the experience and “complete” the story. Or for players that unlock all the doors and explore the story completely non-linearly, to see what it’s like doing the equivalent of starting with chapter 3, then skipping back to chapter 1 and so on. It’ll be fascinating to see what people think is the “best” way to experience Gone Home!

I don't know yet, but I might spend the money I have earned with Steam cards on this $20-game. If I play, I might disable maps and voices for a try, playing it the hardcore way.

JaseC

Darksiders is broken because it doesn't registers properly when an achievement requirement is achieved. Sometimes I had to restart Darksiders and do the procedures again in order to get the achievements. Meaning the achievements aren't really broken. The game is broken

Even better! As an example case, I mean. ;)

Gbraga

I'm not sure about this Gone Home stuff. I always like to play the way it was designed and balanced, but in this case it just seems like I'm missing on a lot of content if I do.

Wok

I would have used it to unlock an achievement with a DLC of Mafia 2: I have finished the DLC but offline, and the achievement has never registered. The thing is there is an autosave in the game and I would not be able to play the last mission again without replaying the full DLC, which was in fact a pretty bad DLC.

I'm not sure about this Gone Home stuff. I always like to play the way it was designed and balanced, but in this case it just seems like I'm missing on a lot of content if I do.

You can disable everything if you plan to replay the game with the voices.

FloatOn

Is this month flying by for anyone else? I just realized The Bureau comes out this coming Thursday.

I was hoping to be done with the Ys games before it dropped.

I blame Spelunky.

Gone Home will be released in five hours.

I don't know yet, but I might spend the money I have earned with Steam cards on this $20-game. If I play, I might disable maps and voices for a try, playing it the hardcore way.

Steve Gaynor of Idle Thumbs and lead designer/writer of Minerva's Den has been working on this. Never knew this before. Interested to hear impressions later.

fantomena

I cheat with achievements due to I don't give a shit about them. I hate seeing that I have not 100% completed a game because of achievements in the game tab in the library, so I just use SAM to get the last.

I don't see the problem with it since I don't care about them. Also, as far as i know, it won't hurt other players.

Sini

I cheat with achievements due to I don't give a shit about them. I hate seeing that I have not 100% completed a game because of achievements in the game tab in the library, so I just use SAM to get the last.

I don't see the problem with it since I don't care about them. Also, as far as i know, it won't hurt other players.
You don't give shit about them, but you do give shit about them?
Do you have split personality?

JaseC

Wait, I think I got it wrong, the intended way is with map and voices?

Yes, the intended way is to play the game with the modifiers disabled, meaning you'll be playing with all lights initially off, the map enabled, all doors initially locked and voice diaries enabled.

Gbraga

Yes, the intended way is to play the game with the modifiers disabled, meaning you'll be playing with all lights initially off, the map enabled, all doors initially locked and voice diaries enabled.

Awesome :)

I hope I get to play it before 2028

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Got a 50% off Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars coupon from my craft.

Cool, I guess?

Also I'm holding off on LoS and Bureau just because there's already so much stuff I want to get this month and next. Those seem like good Christmas sales games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom