• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Announces Family Sharing

This is going to be amazing for me. I buy a lot of games twice because I don't like when other people use my account (like my brother).

Great move Valve.

Tobor

Guys, they REALLY did intend this to mean FAMILY -- as in people living in a single home.

The "one person can access the shared library at a time" pretty much assures that.

More than one computer in a single home is not some bizarre scenario.

You can install Steam on any computer, download games you want, then go offline.

Both accounts can still play, with the main one being online.

Offline mode is indefinite, unless Steam is shutdown incorrectly which is still a common issue.

Any way of doing it so you have two accounts with s shared library on the same PC without having to use Offline Mode?

Yeah if only one person can access the entire library at once, this is not so good and basically pointless. Not really any different than giving someone else your account credentials. I'm sure it's per game.

Of course it's not.

Though simultaneous usage of an account’s library is not allowed, the lender may always access and play his games at any time. If he decides to start playing when a friend is borrowing one of his games, the friend will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

It's essentially an official sub-account system, as you say, akin to lending someone else your account.

Mrbob

Since the person who owns the game can override whoever the sharing person is, I don't see this having a large effect on game sales. If people want to play it right away they'll buy their own copy.

This seems to be a bigger deal for legacy games someone may not be playing anymore.

Would like more clarification on the two policies 1) Libraries are shared and borrowed in their entirety. and 2) "No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time."

It would seem that the two would make it so the original lender couldn't play ANYTHING anytime someone on the friend plan is playing. Seems like there should be a way for the lender to have a "Personal Library" and a "Shared Library" with the ability to move a title from one to the other at their convenience.

Hopefully this gets addressed soon, or this service seems kinda "meh".

when they say "accessed by one user" I'm assuming they mean one user who's not the original owner. The original owner can play their games any time they want. If both the owner and the moocher try to play the same game at the same time, the moocher gets kicked off after a few minutes and probably gets nagged to buy the game.

Can a friend and I share a library and both play at the same time?
No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

Deflates the idea of a GAF account.

AJ_Wings

Now all they need to do is let us sell games. I'd love to get rid of some of the games I own that I got for free or whatever.

Man, what I'd give to play someone's copy of Prey 2, Wolfenstein 2009, or (OMFG) Stubbs the Zombie.

0_o

I hope you mean the original Prey because I just got my hopes up for a couple of seconds...

So this isn't restricted on one machine? Interesting.

gunstarhero

GNU7Ita.png

LOL - too perfect

d1rtn4p

Wow, I love valve. My son is going to be stoked; hes always complaining he has no games to play on his computer at his mom's house.

marrec

Banned
You give somebody (your brother or whatever) your account login details. He logs in on his computer, you'll get a Steam Guard email, give him that code and bam, he has your library.

This just seems like a way to automate that step.

And also allows you to maintain control of who has access and when.

Corto

You give somebody (your brother or whatever) your account login details. He logs in on his computer, you'll get a Steam Guard email, give him that code and bam, he has your library.

This just seems like a way to automate that step.

I hope that this will keep the original account details (credit card and other personal data) hidden. Only the software will be available.

Guevara

But you can't play the same library at the same time. So if someone is playing a game off your library you can't play anything off your library. Number of games is irrelevant.

"No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time."

Yeah this is pretty limited. I'm surprised by all the positive comments thus far.

How I read it, the following two things will work

1. You enable "Family Sharing" locally on a device, so that every other Steam account on that device can use your library

2. If you had perviously installed a game on device A, another person on device A with a different Steam account can request access to that game (i.e. the entire library) and you can authorize that device for family sharing remotely.

I don't think you can send and share your library to anyone you want.

fantomena

I for one think the limitation that for example both people (the loaner and the owner) are unable to play the game at the same time is good. Valve and the devs/pbus will loose lots of money if that limitation did not exist.

jediyoshi

Guys, they REALLY did intend this to mean FAMILY -- as in people living in a single home.

The "one person can access the shared library at a time" pretty much assures that.

Joke's on them, I don't live with my close friends. Maybe it shouldn't have gotten front billing over the word 'family'.

The Cowboy

Nice, I just finished building my daughter a PC for Christmas, with this she can now access all the games on my account in her house.

Very happy.

jet1911

This could've been Microsoft if they had gotten their shit together.

The thing is MS tried to do this while mixing retail games in the balance. If they did not try to mess with retail and only had this plan for digital games their message would have been received with a lot more enthusiasm I think.

Timeaisis

This really isn't as exciting as it sounds.

Basically it gives you three things previously impossible:
1. Not having to give out your login credentials to a friend/family member for them to play games in your library
2. Friends/family can now earn achievements
3. Friends/family can save their games to the cloud

Other than that, it's really not giving us any other functionality. Considering that their not being too clear on how the original user activates sharing (i.e. does the device that is to be "shared" need to be set-up with the lender's account first?, does the lender have to activate sharing while USING the shared device?), I would avoid getting too excited. We're not going to be able to hot-swap games or anything. And the 1-player-at-a-time restriction makes it work identical to you just giving out your password to a buddy.

It is a cool feature that my wife and I will probably use, but the announcement and website are a little misleading until you read them over.

Adam Blue

This plan is like Microsoft's plan, 10 people, 1 per library at a time.

They just upped the number. Plus, 2 machines can be used at once with Sony's plan.

I'm not trying to compare, just saying this isn't anything new and what Valve is proposing isn't interesting enough.

Gowans

I use steam on my desktop PC, macbook and on bootcamp on my macbook.

To get this right I can always play on any PC if I'm logged in as me and that does not take from my 10 friend libraries I can add?

So glad they have done this, MS pushing Steam, pushing MS and Sony to now follow up on their digital purchases.

Competition is so good.

Thread desperately needs more info in the OP, tons of conflicting information in the replies.

If this is really just one person in the library at a time, then this is a nice feature but hardly a big deal and not on the scale of what MS supposedly was going to provide.

marrec

Banned
How I read it, the following two things will work

1. You enable "Family Sharing" locally on a device, so that every other Steam account on that device can use your library

2. If you had perviously installed a game on device A, another person on device A with a different Steam account can request access to that game (i.e. the entire library) and you can authorize that device for family sharing remotely.

I don't think you can send and share your library to anyone you want.

You read it incorrectly.

When this launches, if you're my Steam Friend then you can send me a request to share my library. If I authorize it, then you can use my library (install games on your computer that I own) and use them as long as I'm not using my library.

Lanbeast

So if my brother has XCOM and I have Skyrim and I want to play XCOM while he plays Skyrim, it's all good since they're on different shared libraries? If so, this is pretty cool.

The Flash

Banned
But seriously man...

Okay, fine. Leave it at that.

In other news, al;hjakl;jng;aoig;laiejgtl;segt.

I know a lot of people are still mad at MS about everything and blah blah blah...it just gets old after a while. But whatever man. You do you, I'll do me.

Bgamer90

Banned
The thing is MS tried to do this while mixing retail games in the balance. If they did not try to mess with retail and only had this plan for digital games their message would have been received with a lot more enthusiasm I think.

Yep -- definitely.

Top Bottom