• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Very nice shackles. Just a suggestion though as they are a bit "boom" in your face and some background have very bold colours but maybe something like a layered div with a grey to transparent gradient at say 50% opacity to mute them down a bit? A bit like the client does on the game pages in list view but without the gaudy colour overlay.

zkylon

zkylewd
well downloaded and installed archeblade

played the tutorial

tried some characters in training mode

bought blue loli cos didn't like how anyone else played

joined argie 50 ping server and people are lagging all over the place, half the time you don't even know what is happening

yeah not my thing

I think my friends list is averaging about 30 hours in the game. You aren't alone.
yea i'm at 33 right now

time flies in dks2

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just deleted Thief 2014 from my F drive where I install all my Steam games but Steam doesn't show taht the free space my F drive has increased. Are there any files I should manually delete or should I use Disk Cleanup?

DId you empty the recycle bin? ;)

Jase, do what you do, man. Start sending emails.

Haha, I did actually consider mentioning it in the ticket I sent to Support yesterday, but I figured it best to tackle one topic at a time.

Alright GAF, I need some opinions.

I'm trying to make the store pages look nicer using their existing backgrounds but making them fit your window better. The results are promising, but obviously these backgrounds weren't meant to be this big - some look really stretched, while others look fine but as the result of stretching they cause some issues with the text on the page.

Here are some screenshots of what I mean:

So I'm wondering: do you think it would be okay as-is? These screenshots were taken at 1920x1080 resolution. If you had a 4k monitor the issues may be a little more pronounced.

As an alternative, I might be able to make another div and layer it between the background and text, and give it the same kind of blue "starburst" pattern that Steam is using nowadays.

Thoughts?

Can you get the game specific backgrounds you get from crafting? Those could be better replacements for some games (but obviously not all). Otherwise maybe dropping the opacity to something small and/or applying linear-gradient (blackish to transparent) to hide the artifacts and improve the readability could be a something to try.

When was Wolfenstein (2009?) removed from the store?

Nzyme32

Alright GAF, I need some opinions.

I'm trying to make the store pages look nicer using their existing backgrounds but making them fit your window better. The results are promising, but obviously these backgrounds weren't meant to be this big - some look really stretched, while others look fine but as the result of stretching they cause some issues with the text on the page.

Here are some screenshots of what I mean:

So I'm wondering: do you think it would be okay as-is? These screenshots were taken at 1920x1080 resolution. If you had a 4k monitor the issues may be a little more pronounced.

As an alternative, I might be able to make another div and layer it between the background and text, and give it the same kind of blue "starburst" pattern that Steam is using nowadays.

Thoughts?

Looks brilliant. The issue with resolutions above 1920x1080 are the only issue, but the blue starbust pattern seems like the best solution for now

Grief.exe

I didn't know Return to Castle Wolfenstein wasn't developed by iD.

Steam page says Gray Matter Studios.

3WhfIuZ.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can you get the game specific backgrounds you get from crafting? Those could be better replacements for some games (but obviously not all). Otherwise maybe dropping the opacity to something small and/or applying linear-gradient (blackish to transparent) to hide the artifacts and improve the readability could be a something to try.

That is definitely a possibility, but getting the URL to a page's background requires that it be fed from our API server, which is already pretty overloaded. It would have to query the API server for the correct background that matches that game, meaning that each user would have 1 additional request each time they pulled up a game page. I project this would mean about 200,000 additional queries to the API server every day, and I'm not sure if it could handle that at this time.

Of course, I have a Patreon campaign going, hoping to get a better server that could facilitate adding features like this. But I'm only about 10% to my first goal. :(

If I could do it that way, it could actually be pretty cool and pull a random background image for the games that had cards.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Line Rider 2 has been pulled:

Removed store name – Line Rider 2: Unbound 2 minutes ago

The USPTO database says that inXile owns the IP so my guess is that Deep Silver's time is up.

Tizoc

Any chance Flatout 2 would be cheaper than $2.49 at any time in the near future?

DId you empty the recycle bin? ;)

Well when I checked recently it just had 1 snashot I took and just emptied my recycle bin now, will see if that opened up some space

Is it worth getting Dark Souls 2 from Nuuvem? It's £22.95 according to Steam, but it's a Brazilian website. Would the steam key be an English version, or not?

Yup. Also the best mod ever (yes, the best) Enemy Territory was done by Splash Damage who also contributed 3 maps for the GOTY edition of RTCW after Marketgardens success.

Splash Damage went then to develop MP for Doom3, Quake Wars, Brink and quite surprisingly the multiplayer for Arkham Oranges. Those 3 forementioned were such an disappointments for me after spending years and years with Enemy Territory.

I also played RTCW for the first time in few years week or so ago and it was an absolute blast. Strafejumping to get insane speeds while knifing nazis to their dumb faces. 10/10, excellent game in every way.

Did I already say that I love Wolfenstein? It's funny that after Enemy Territory I have played tons of FPS's and been wanting for another ET and closest thing I have gotten is CS:GO, which is funny considering CS was pretty much ET's enemy back in the day.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Correct. RtCW was made by outside iD since iD was busy with the Doom 3 engine after being done with Q3A/TA's engine.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I thought everyone knew this? At that point iD were already in idTech4/Doom3 development.

Yeah, I thought the quality of the campaign made it pretty obvious :(

I would have preferred Raven (a long time Id bro) on it. I think Jedi Knight II/Academy played significantly better and had much more entertaining level design.

Grief.exe

I would have preferred Raven (a long time Id bro) on it. I think Jedi Knight II/Academy played significantly better and had much more entertaining level design.

Probably came down to cost. Raven was either too expensive or was busy with another project.

Dr Dogg

All this talk about Raven and Doc's thread on what games aren't on Steam were is Soldier of Fortune at? Probably another Activision licensing kerfuffle.

DocSeuss

Raven did work on Wolf09, which I felt was inferior to RTCW... but my opinion's been waffling lately, and I don't have the $150 it costs to find out... yet.

All this talk about Raven and Doc's thread on what games aren't on Steam were is Soldier of Fortune at? Probably another Activision licensing kerfuffle.

Given all the crap going on with Activision, I'm like 110% positive that it's just more Activision stuff.

Seriously, we need to find the human face at Activision to talk to about this and see what, if anything, they can do. They like money, right?

To be fair to Acti, there never was a bad Wolfenstein game when they were the publisher. That 2009 game is a really solid B tier shooter with an interesting hub world layout and good weapon and stuff. Sucks that they took it off and haven't put it back up, though. You'd think that theyd want to capitalize on the new game being just around the corner.

Some sites seem to have cryostasis keys again but they're selling them for nearly double the price i passed on before. fuck. that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Raven did work on Wolf09, which I felt was inferior to RTCW... but my opinion's been waffling lately, and I don't have the $150 it costs to find out... yet.

Given all the crap going on with Activision, I'm like 110% positive that it's just more Activision stuff.

Seriously, we need to find the human face at Activision to talk to about this and see what, if anything, they can do. They like money, right?

I thought the shooting mechanics and encounter design in RTCW were pretty awful. The level design was bland. Wolf 09 has great shooting mechanics and feedback, I hilarious weapon upgrade system that leads to more gore, and much more interesting location design.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Sometimes I do not like how the card drop system works on Steam. Play some Arkham City and I get 4 common Catwoman cards. Okay, that's not great but I can understand how it happens. Then before the day is over, lucky me, I get a booster pack for Arkham City. Three common Catwoman cards.

This would never happen if it was a Darkwing Duck game.

Sometimes I do not like how the card drop system works on Steam. Play some Arkham City and I get 4 common Catwoman cards. Okay, that's not great but I can understand how it happens. Then before the day is over, lucky me, I get a booster pack for Arkham City. Three common Catwoman cards.

Gizmoduck foils would go for top dollar.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

True. You would have gotten four Gosalyn cards instead, and then three more Gosalyn cards via booster pack.

Man, Jedi Outcast and Academy. Coupled with Heretic 2, Raven made some goooood TPS/adventure games in that time period (I know JK games had FP view too, but I assume most people went with TP once the lightsaber was acquired)

Now I have a big hankerin' to replay them. I think Activision has it entirely under their wing, they just never bothered putting it out.

Man, Jedi Outcast and Academy. Coupled with Heretic 2, Raven made some goooood TPS/adventure games in that time period (I know JK games had FP view too, but I assume most people went with TP once the lightsaber was acquired)
I was looking at their output and just realized they were responsible for Take No Prisoners as well. Raven is so secretly awesome. Shame they've been reduced to COD DLC.

Let's get weird.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space -- MB-C068E429A7289BFD - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Dark Shadows -- MB-35906C607743CCC9 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 2 entrants total.

t1398881272z1.png

You know I wonder which YT vid it was where an Acti higher up was asked to research some of these buried titles and he said after sniffing around he has no idea where they are. Was it Matt Chat?

Benedict

Today we light the fires in Sweden to welcome spring.
majbrasa2_scan_992.jpg

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

BlackSouls Extended Edition -- MB-4657104CDDC9E7C0 - Taken by kudoboi

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hello

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blacksoul: Extended Edition -- MB-32FF33D223714BDB - Taken by En Ex. 2 entrants total.

t1398881588z1.png

Aerocrane

Any chance Flatout 2 would be cheaper than $2.49 at any time in the near future?

It was $1 in December 2010 for an hour, otherwise it has been $2.49 when on sale. I doubt that Scammers First would get so desperate that they would reduce the price that low.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm going out for a kebab, better be a new thread when I come back.

aka i don't know shit about time zones

Gaf goes by GMT, right? So there should be a new thread in ~6 hours or so.

We're doing the same up here in the Northeastern U.S.

It's because we're cold, though.

I can't light a fire because rain.

Any place where to find Might & Magic X at cheap?

According to Enhanced Steam and isthereanydeal.com:

Current Deals: $19.99 at GreenMan Gaming after coupon code FUSWJT-B1DU64-JBV8UY

nexen

Yeah, the Soldier of Fortune games are licensed affairs.
Yes, they licensed the likeness and name of a 'real' Solider of Fortune. Their success at creating a realistic portrayal of modern mercenary life was clear to me when I dismembered 50 guys in a subway with a shotgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom