• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evrain

Today we light the fires in Sweden to welcome spring.
majbrasa2_scan_992.jpg
I think I need help, the more I look at the picture the more I think that's a bonfire kindled with the Rite... and expecting 20 charges in my Estus flask.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes, they licensed the likeness and name of a 'real' Solider of Fortune. Their success at creating a realistic portrayal of modern mercenary life was clear to me when I dismembered 50 guys in a subway with a shotgun.

I thought the games included issues of the Soldier of Fortune magazines as collectables, but a cursory Google search suggests I dreamt that up, haha. I wonder why Payback was pulled, then.

Edit: Wait, Acti did license the name from the magazine.

DocSeuss

I thought the shooting mechanics and encounter design in RTCW were pretty awful. The level design was bland. Wolf 09 has great shooting mechanics and feedback, I hilarious weapon upgrade system that leads to more gore, and much more interesting location design.

Alright, I definitely need to go back and replay them. You generally have taste worth listening to.

JaseC

Hhmmm, I guess it's still too much :p

Oh, and even the Steam version require UPlay, right? Do you just need an account or do you have to download the client too?

Yeah, you need the client. It comes with the Steam version as a prerequisite so it's installed automatically the first time you run the game.

DocSeuss

Huh. Just noticed 7.62 mm is in the Steam store. It was in a bundle (Indiegala, I think? Penumbra and The Abbey were also in it with no Steam keys) a while ago. Chances the bundle will get Steam keys?

JaseC

Huh. Just noticed 7.62 mm is in the Steam store. It was in a bundle (Indiegala, I think? Penumbra and The Abbey were also in it with no Steam keys) a while ago. Chances the bundle will get Steam keys?

Slim to none. 1C hasn't said a word regarding Steam keys for the dozens of games it's brought to Steam over the past couple of months or so.

nexen

I thought the games included issues of the Soldier of Fortune magazines as collectables, but a cursory Google search suggests I dreamt that up, haha. I wonder why Payback was pulled, then.

Don't know much about Payback, but the original Soldier of Fortune was 'informed' by actual Soldier of Fortune John Mullins. He was pretty front and center in the pre-release advertising, iirc. It was so odd to me that the end product was just a (then) modern run & gun shooter with extra gore and dismemberment. I liked it a lot, but, yeah, why bother with the consultant and licensing?

Oh that too I guess.
Man I really want to play that game again now. I'm sure I have the disc somewhere.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but for some reason I assume he meant he just deleted the installation folder. Leave me alone, it's 1:30am!
1:30 AM... what year is it over there? :p

But then what's the difference if I buy the UPlay version?
If you buy the Uplay version you'll have to download the game (and patches, as Jase said) through said client, instead of doing it via Steam. I'd choose the latter over it every day, not only due to the +1 (which for some -me included, ever since not too long ago- is important) to the games count, but also because Steam (by default, though it can be changed) auto downloads patches while the client is open. If you have a considerable library and friends list there, it's more probable that you'll have Steam open at any time rather than Uplay, which means you won't have to wait for who knows how long before you get to play the game every time there's a new patch.

And that's another reason why I dislike having to put up with other clients. Since I only launch them when a game requires it, there's usually a patch or two they have to download, forcing me to wait until it is done when the only thing I wanted to do was play a few minutes of Driver: San Francisco or Rayman Legends.

JaseC

Don't know much about Payback, but the original Soldier of Fortune was 'informed' by actual Soldier of Fortune John Mullins. He was pretty front and center in the pre-release advertising, iirc. It was so odd to me that the end product was just a (then) modern run & gun shooter with extra gore and dismemberment. I liked it a lot, but, yeah, why bother with the consultant and licensing?

Oh that too I guess.
Man I really want to play that game again now. I'm sure I have the disc somewhere.

I vaguely remember the demo for the original game. I wasted so much time experimenting with the then-novel damage/dismemberment system, haha.

1:30 AM... what year is it over there? :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what is seriosu sam classics revolution, and why do I own it?

L.O.R.D

i got this 25% discount code from GMG
9HZ09L-D4RYEU-FIW8BE

they didn't say this code only for me, so i think this will work on any user
it worked on watch dog deluxe edition and went from 60 to 45
but still didn't buy it
i will wait for sales

The 25% voucher expires at 1600 UTC on Monday 5th May 2014

Uplay proper has a fairly crummy patch system, so there's that. But otherwise nothing.

If you buy the Uplay version you'll have to download the game (and patches, as Jase said) through said client, instead of doing it via Steam. I'd choose the latter over it every day, not only due to the +1 (which for some -me included, ever since not too long ago- is important) to the games count, but also because Steam (by default, though it can be changed) auto downloads patches while the client is open. If you have a considerable library and friends list there, it's more probable that you'll have Steam open at any time rather than Uplay, which means you won't have to wait for who knows how long before you get to play the game every time there's a new patch.

And that's another reason why I dislike having to put up with other clients. Since I only launch them when a game requires it, there's usually a patch or two they have to download, forcing me to wait until it is done when the only thing I wanted to do was play a few minutes of Driver: San Francisco or Rayman Legends.

I see. Thanks for the answers.

Amzin

Alright GAF, I need some opinions.

I'm trying to make the store pages look nicer using their existing backgrounds but making them fit your window better. The results are promising, but obviously these backgrounds weren't meant to be this big - some look really stretched, while others look fine but as the result of stretching they cause some issues with the text on the page.

Here are some screenshots of what I mean:

So I'm wondering: do you think it would be okay as-is? These screenshots were taken at 1920x1080 resolution. If you had a 4k monitor the issues may be a little more pronounced.

As an alternative, I might be able to make another div and layer it between the background and text, and give it the same kind of blue "starburst" pattern that Steam is using nowadays.

Thoughts?

If you could keep the center column of the page where the text is the default steam color than that'd be the ideal for me, background around the actual main page but not hindering it in any way.

DocSeuss

So, an absolutely AMAZING human being heard how bad my life has been lately, and they just bought me the Steam Special Edition of Tropico 5.

I now have 1,000 games.

I realize that's small-time compared to some of you.

I'm just

I'm emotionally overwhelmed here. I've been despairing almost nonstop. Yesterday's super positive response to my published article, the "great thread, Doc!" stuff that's been in my last two threads here, and this Tropico 5 thing are the only good things going on in my life, and I am just so... like, I don't even know how to describe how amazing I feel right now.

Things are awful--truly awful--but some people have just completely blown me away with their kickassery.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully someone can get enjoyment out of this game, since I don't want it. As usual, if the key doesn't work because I'm paranoid about messing it up, send me a message and I'll fix it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

BlackSoul: Extended Edition -- MB-7FA60DAC40414E6E - Taken by -MD-. 2 entrants total.

t1398884605z1.png

So, an absolutely AMAZING human being heard how bad my life has been lately, and they just bought me the Steam Special Edition of Tropico 5.

I now have 1,000 games.

I realize that's small-time compared to some of you.

I'm just

I'm emotionally overwhelmed here. I've been despairing almost nonstop. Yesterday's super positive response to my published article, the "great thread, Doc!" stuff that's been in my last two threads here, and this Tropico 5 thing are the only good things going on in my life, and I am just so... like, I don't even know how to describe how amazing I feel right now.

Things are awful--truly awful--but some people have just completely blown me away with their kickassery.

I'm at 999 games myself. Steam GAF has always been one of the best online communities I've been a part of. I don't post as often as I'd like but I follow the stuff here daily.

Just know that there are always people out there who truly care about others when the tough gets going. I've been in an extremely difficult spot before and am so thankful to the people that helped me out of it.

Remember the little things.

Turfster

Am I the only one thinking that pretty much all of their recent adventure game reviews are negative (John Walker's not liking Deadalic games and absolutely hating Moebius)?

Well, the Daedalic games I played (A new beginning and Deponia) were utter dogshit, with stupid 30 year old puzzle design, horrible main characters, bad writing and horrendous voice acting, so I'm totally with him there.

DocSeuss

I'm at 999 games myself. Steam GAF has always been one of the best online communities I've been a part of. I don't post as often as I'd like but I follow the stuff here daily.

Just know that there are always people out there who truly care about others when the tough gets going. I've been in an extremely difficult spot before and am so thankful to the people that helped me out of it.

Remember the little things.

I try, but it's hard. I dunno if you've seen my thread over in OT. Life's not pretty, and the big things often overwhelm the little things. I feel like... eventually, things are going to get good, but I'm really tired of the past several years. The small things are the only things keeping me from just... stopping. Not dying, or anything, just... sitting here and giving up.

Annubis

Well, the Daedalic games I played (A new beginning and Deponia) were utter dogshit, with stupid 30 year old puzzle design, horrible main characters, bad writing and horrendous voice acting, so I'm totally with him there.

Crap. I have a new beginning and haven't started it yet...
I thought it looked interesting =/

JaseC

what is seriosu sam classics revolution, and why do I own it?

Basically a fan-made remake of TFE and TSE stitched together as a single game, with a new campaign coming later down the track. It was given to existing owners of the "classic" Serious Sam games (not the HD remakes).

i got this 25% discount code from GMG
9HZ09L-D4RYEU-FIW8BE

they didn't say this code only for me, so i think this will work on any user
it worked on watch dog deluxe edition and went from 60 to 45
but still didn't buy it
i will wait for sales

The 25% voucher expires at 1600 UTC on Monday 5th May 2014

45 + playfire + money back is a pretty sweet deal. But Uplay key.

Lomax

What's your take on this game, fellow gaffers?

I enjoyed Eador and really need to get back to it. It also seems to have gotten a decent amount of post release support in terms of bug fixes and some free dlc. If it's a genre you like I'd say it's worth a shot. It has been bundled before though, so it probably will be again if you wanted to wait.

DocSeuss

Basically a fan-made remake of TFE and TSE stitched together as a single game, with a new campaign coming later down the track. It was given to existing owners of the "classic" Serious Sam games (not the HD remakes).

Sweet, I just got that today at random.

Turfster

So The Last Express seems like a pretty solid port/remake so far.
I'd forgotten how weird it is to play a realtime adventure, but it still holds up well.

epmode

RockPaperShotgun doesn't really like Broken Sword 5 all that much

Am I the only one thinking that pretty much all of their recent adventure game reviews are negative (John Walker's not liking Deadalic games and absolutely hating Moebius)?

Not all. They loved Blackwell Epiphany. For good reason, too! It's probably the best adventure game we've seen in several years. You should play it, GAF.

While I liked Broken Sword 5, I still agree with most of what they wrote in that review. In spite of the adventure resurgence, it's still tough to find genuinely good modern adventure games.

Ruruja

So what's the latest on Modbot? Sent a PM to it to register a giveaway hours ago. Should I try again, or should I continue to wait for it to send me the PM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom