• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Has anyone ever purchased any codes from here before?

I googled their legitimacy and seem to find a straight answer quite a few say yes they're trustworthy but they look like faked accounts.

99.9% sure they're not legit.
(If you have to ask, they almost never are)

KingDirk

Been too busy playing Professor Layton v Ace Attorney today to post but I absolutely had a dream last night that Stumpokapow took me into the datasphere to talk to a digital god whom he revealed GAF to. The digital god approved and decided not to destroy humanity, and then Stump promised that he was going to democratize the modding process.

Screw it, I'm going to play, even if the AA is so broken it hurts to play.

Thanks for your responses guys! I'll do as Marco says, gotta scratch that zombie itch! If it ends up not being my cup of tea - feel free to put a blame on me :)
It's probably my favorite Zombie game since Stubbs (not that they're anything alike). It has a myriad of little technical issues, mostly related to zombies sometimes being in walls and some weird graphical glitches here and there, but I just love it. Gathering resources, building up your base and protecting it, etc. It's just something that not a lot of games do so I appreciated it despite its issues.

Last night I could get neither MW2 or WaW to start, crashed to black screen immediately. Now, I've managed to fix both, MW2 through changing the cfg file resolution and to fullscreen and WaW changing to compatibilty: vista. quite annoying. I find it very weird that I have to use xpadder for mw2 but WaW recognizes my 360 pads inputs (I think a few are not recognized, so I use xpadder for that as well)

so I am in a pretty good mood right :b:

Icewind dale was always the least of the RPGs using that engine, so not sure how I feel about this =p

Single player maybe, but the combat encounters are way cooler and it's much more multiplayer friendly than BG/2, more than makes up for its only relatively lackluster story (though the writing/NPC dialogue is still up there with the rest of the IE series) this is a game that SCREAMS for steamworks multiplayer. This is definitely bought.

Turfster

Single player maybe, but the combat encounters are way cooler and it's much more multiplayer friendly than BG/2, more than makes up for its only relatively lackluster story (though the writing/NPC dialogue is still up there with the rest of the IE series) this is a game that SCREAMS for steamworks multiplayer. This is definitely bought.

We were still on slow, very expensive dialup over here back then.
What multiplayer? ;)

MattyG

Banned
So I had a game of XCOM EU that I was about 12 hours into, but I never finished and haven't played in a couple months. Should I just restart with a EW playthrough, since I don't really remember where I left off? I feel like I'd be lost if I jumped into that old save.

We were still on slow, very expensive dialup over here back then.
What multiplayer? ;)

Ah when I could get the damn tcp to work there was fun to be had (though you'd get the occasional hacked to hell character with dual wielding instapetrify throwing axes +5 that kinda ruined it)

In fact, I think I may just start a weekly GAF game night IWD campaign once this comes out if we can get a party of 6 together. That would be a lot of fun to play and stream.

Asgaro

qUrIF.gif

StAidan

Hi guys. Took a break from my busy weekend to write up my feelings on a well-loved title:

header_292x136.jpg

How do you describe Shovel Knight? It’s a game that emulates a number of revered classics - Mega Man, Mario, DuckTales, Castlevania, and more - while adding its own unique spin on well-loved mechanics, never copying wholesale but creating a path of its own in 2D platformer history. And while its roots are in the golden age of platformers, the development team wasn’t afraid to modernize the experience in a number of ways.

Shovel Knight essentially presents itself as an NES game in a romanticized style - romanticized in the sense that, although its graphics and sound strongly evoke 90s-era NES games, the game doesn’t actually adhere to all of the traditional limitations of the NES hardware. For example, the game’s palette introduces a couple of colors not present back then, and its music doesn’t intermittently cut channels to make room for sound effects. These improvements aren’t obtrusive at all - rather, they’re changes that remove classic annoyances which have become needless in the modern age.

In any case, the graphics and animation are pixel-perfect and smooth. And while the soundtrack as a whole might not quite reach the heights of, say, Mega Man 2 or 3, a number of its individual tracks can easily compete with some of the stars of the NES library.

My only criticism is that the levels are too long. I think I’d be fine with them if Yacht Club had done something like splitting each level in half, thereby giving each boss knight two levels (with the boss waiting at the end of the second one). The checkpoints, while helpful, also have a way of highlighting this flaw simply due to the sheer quantity of them.

In summary, I had a blast with Shovel Knight and went for as many achievements as I could before facing the final boss. I’ll definitely go back to finish New Game+ as well. I don’t think the game quite has the replayability of the best NES classics, but it deserves at least two playthroughs from anyone who enjoys the modern retro revival.

Khronico

I swear, everytime I load up STALKER: CoP I get reminded of how it's one of the best games ever made. Time to share a STALKER story:

It all started out at Skadovsk, the gun merchant there had given me a mission to scout the mercenary outpost at the water processing plant. Before I left I checked my loadout: AKS-74U with silencer (personal favorite), Silenced Skorpion with extended mag, 4 health packs, 4 anti-rads, and enough ammo for 3 extra mags in case things got dicey. I made my way up to the plant, which was surprisingly uneventful. Once I made it up to the plant I started to stake out the place from a safe distance. OK, two story building, two mercs with rifles patrolling the catwalks that go from the north to the south sides, their patterns overlapping. One other merc comes out of the side door every so often to check the road up to the facility, seems to be a 10 second loop. Probably at least one more merc inside besides the watch. 5 entrances, side doors on the north and south sides, a parking garage of sorts, one entrance up on the catwalk, and what seems to be a man sized pipe leading under the driveway and into the building.

I decided for the side door on the south side, as it was directly in front of me. I slowly inched my way past the broken down walls and into the plant outskirts, stopping behind a truck 50 ft SW of the side door. The door guard exited the building, I flipped to semi auto and trained my sights at his head. One muffled crack and the guard went down without uttering a sound. The guards inside had heard the shot, but had no idea where I was at that point. The two catwalk guards went ahead to investigate their fallen comrade while I slowly crawled forward to a better shooting position. Another muffled crack, but this time I missed. Now they knew exactly where I was, and the situation was turning. I panicked and fired about 2 dozen more shots, of which about 5 hit their target. 2 down, at least 2 more to go. No more than two seconds had passed when 4 rounds buried into the back of my skull. Apparently one of the mercs inside had decided to investigate the gunshots, saw me, and had circled around my position in a flanking maneuver just at that exact moment I had missed my second shot. After assessing the situation and deciding a plan of action, I pressed the quickload button. This time, I didn't miss that second shot, nor did I get shot in the back of the head. Now to deal with the other catwalk guard. Good thing is, the outside was clear. Bad news is, now I had to clear the building. I sprinted over to the door and shouldered up against the left side, slowly peaking my head into the building. Another dead me, but now I knew where the merc was: up on the second floor catwalk. Quickload. Another dead merc, but now I was down to my last mag. I took a deep breath, reloaded my gun, and sprinted into the building. A burst of gunfire later and my body joined the others. Merc coming up the stairs from the parking garage, should be an easy headshot. Quickload. It was. I stopped and listened intently. No voices, no breathing, no footsteps. I had successfully cleared the building. Now it was time to loot the corpses, bandage the wounds, and head home.

Shadownet

Banned
Sigh what a stressful day at work. Only 2 people closing a mall store on a damn Saturday. When you supposed to have 3 or 4. Since I'm on crutches. I'm about as useful as half a person.

Damn manager. Glad to be back home and on GAF.

DocSeuss

It's probably my favorite Zombie game since Stubbs (not that they're anything alike). It has a myriad of little technical issues, mostly related to zombies sometimes being in walls and some weird graphical glitches here and there, but I just love it. Gathering resources, building up your base and protecting it, etc. It's just something that not a lot of games do so I appreciated it despite its issues.

I've played it on my Xbox back in the day.

I swear, everytime I load up STALKER: CoP I get reminded of how it's one of the best games ever made. Time to share a STALKER story:

I love STALKER. It's amazing that Call of Pripyat's the worst game in the series and it's still one of the best games ever made.

Helmholtz

Me too. A real shame how bad the second season is after the great first effort.
Oh wow, is it that bad? I still haven't purchased it yet because I was waiting for a bigger discount.
I absolutely loved the first season. Like, it's one of my favorite games ever. I'm very hesitant on the second season because the primary writers are different, and some of the first season's characters carry over. I don't want it to retroactively put a damper on my feelings for the first season.
I guess I should just avoid?

Shadownet

Banned
I just got 2 copies of Sniper Elite 3, 2 Banner Saga and 1 Murdered: Soul Suspect for $20 total.

5 people are going to be happy between tonight and tomorrow.

Oh wow, is it that bad? I still haven't purchased it yet because I was waiting for a bigger discount.
I absolutely loved the first season. Like, it's one of my favorite games ever. I'm very hesitant on the second season because the primary writers are different, and some of the first season's characters carry over. I don't want it to retroactively put a damper on my feelings for the first season.

I wouldn't say it's *that* bad, it is definitely a step down in terms of quality unfortunately. The Wolf Among Us was far superior.

It is hard to describe without spoilers.... I thought episode 2 was pretty decent, but the rest was pretty bad.

It is all about how much you care about the characters of course, but my care factor was less than zero this time around.

how do i cap Counter Strike's fps to 120? Sometimes it goes to like 140, my monitor don't support 140 :(
create/find a file called autoexec.cfg in "Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\cfg" and put "fps_max 120" in there and save it.

you can input that line into the console every time you start the game, or you can put it in your autoexec file and have it taken care of for you.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed both seasons a lot. Just like Season 1, Season 2 has left me eager to see what happens next. If you want to see more of Clementine, then I would say go for it, because that is exactly what you will get.

Just think, three years from now you can be asking this question about Season 3! (SO FAR AWAY UGH!)

Helmholtz

I wouldn't say it's *that* bad, it is definitely a step down in terms of quality unfortunately. The Wolf Among Us was far superior.
Seems to be the consensus. I bought TWAU during summer sale and I'm looking forward to playing that soon.
For what it's worth, I enjoyed both seasons a lot. Just like Season 1, Season 2 has left me eager to see what happens next. If you want to see more of Clementine, then I would say go for it, because that is exactly what you will get.

Just think, three years from now you can be asking this question about Season 3! (SO FAR AWAY UGH!)
It is hard to describe without spoilers.... I thought episode 2 was pretty decent, but the rest was pretty bad.
It is all about how much you care about the characters of course, but my care factor was less than zero this time around.
It's weird. I liked Clementine well enough in Season 1, but so much of that was because of her dynamic with Lee. I'm honestly not very keen on actually playing as her. I'm still very torn on playing Season 2. But I think in the end I'll probably grab it next sale... I suppose it can't really ruin S1 for me. That experience will always be something special in my mind. The only game to bring me close to tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom