• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Nabs

So I updated and looked at stuff. A lot seems to be broken in this update.

Grips, Start/select, bumpers do not work at all on desktop config.
You can't use the new options via Mode Shifting.
in fact, mode shifting via pad clicks seems broken. I used to have pad click = d-pad for scrolling on desktop. Doesn't work anymore

are these problems happening to anyone else?

I have those problems with certain configs. I had to recreate one from scratch to get mode shifting back. I was able to resolve the start/back problem by creating a new action set and copying the original config over.

So I updated and looked at stuff. A lot seems to be broken in this update.

Grips, Start/select, bumpers do not work at all on desktop config.
You can't use the new options via Mode Shifting.
in fact, mode shifting via pad clicks seems broken. I used to have pad click = d-pad for scrolling on desktop. Doesn't work anymore

are these problems happening to anyone else?

Yep, grips, start and select were broken for me. I opted out of beta so not sure about the other stuff.

Mailbox

I have those problems with certain configs. I had to recreate one from scratch to get mode shifting back. I was able to resolve the start/back problem by creating a new action set and copying the original config over.

Yep, grips, start and select were broken for me. I opted out of beta so not sure about the other stuff.

Yeah, the solution is to just remake the config in whatever way works i guess.
I hope they fix the issues with mode shifted buttons and the new settings not working with them. Not being able to turbo in mode shift kinda kills my desktop experience with this thing.

I can't get Deus Ex (with Kentie's Deus exe mod) to work properly with the SC. Bindings just wont work. I notice the BP overlay doesn't load while in game, so I'm guessing that's part of the problem. Anybody have a clue to what's happening here?

Not sure how Valve feel about configs that rely on autohotkey, but I made one for TIS-100 and linked to the script on pastebin in the description. Wanted to play it a few different times over the past few months but didn't want to sit at my desk, so I decided to do something about it.
edit: Somehow missed JNZ command, whoops. Updated.
edit 2: Playing with the new update it seems that this was waste of time lol. It looks like you can create an activator for each character in a string and delay the Fire Start by a couple of notches between each character. Maybe I'll remake this without AHK once some of the jank is worked out.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there any way to bind the right touchpad to a grid menu, but have everything activate on touch instead of release? That was my last big remaining feature request a while back.

Mailbox

Is there any way to bind the right touchpad to a grid menu, but have everything activate on touch instead of release? That was my last big remaining feature request a while back.

Unless i'm mistaking in what you're meaning, you've been able to do this for the longest time.

I just realized with each new update, the older bindings that don't take advantage of added features will still be sitting up top. I kind of hope Valve changes up bind listings the way they did reviews. Maybe have the most used configs all month sit at the top, with a sorting feature to find by upload date, usercount, etc?

Heads up to anyone looking to make changes to their configs in the new update: It seems to convert muilti-button mappings to multiple Regular Press activators (one for each mapped key,) and activators seem buggy with mode shifted buttons. I had to re-map 20+ buttons to be just a single Regular Press activator with multi-button and a few are broken seemingly beyond repair. The activator UI for some mode shifted buttons keeps bringing up the config for the corresponding non-mode shifted button.

The feel of the haptic feedback will take some getting used to.
You can disable it. I love that they have the option now, but I personally turn it off if it's just a button press. After all, I can already tell I'm pressing the button, haha. I will admit it's pretty helpful for long presses, but I hope they disable it by default down the road.

belmonkey

Oh my god activators seem so OP. They seem to have more than satisfied almost all my wanted features, but I think they made it too good for certain things. I literally just easily made a 1-button macro for my (DPS) Hunter in WoW, went into a battleground, and did the 3rd most damage out of 30 people (I have less than half PVP gear) whilst almost only relying on a button rotation with varying levels of turbo on the right bumper. It basically ends up defaulting it immediately to using a certain skill while energy builds up, but pops the other skills once they can be used. Seems a bit too strong.

You can disable it. I love that they have the option now, but I personally turn it off if it's just a button press. After all, I can already tell I'm pressing the button, haha. I will admit it's pretty helpful for long presses, but I hope they disable it by default down the road.

Yeah I like the button feedback, and have also liked the scroll wheel feedback. The scroll in particular feels very different after this update.

Jon Armdog

Oh my god activators seem so OP. They seem to have more than satisfied almost all my wanted features, but I think they made it too good for certain things. I literally just easily made a 1-button macro for my (DPS) Hunter in WoW, went into a battleground, and did the 3rd most damage out of 30 people (I have less than half PVP gear) whilst almost only relying on a button rotation with varying levels of turbo on the right bumper. It basically ends up defaulting it immediately to using a certain skill while energy builds up, but pops the other skills once they can be used. Seems a bit too strong.

This sounds awesome. I'm trying to wrap my head around it, but a activators seem like they open up a ton of possibilities in WoW

Over-Run

So in simple mans terms, you can make it so that in Call of Duty, you can press B to crouch and hold it to go prone now?
So sweet, this controller is so good. Love the constant updates.
I hope the next update does a big fix for profile viewing.
I mean, you can't even view a large description of a binding as it is now, you just get a small overview before the rest of the text is cut off. I wish we could filter it by best rated in the past week/month/year/all time sort of thing, also leave feedback on binding

Pixieking

Banned

How do you disable it? I couldn't see anything a second ago that looked as though it led to a disable haptics for button presses.

Yeah I like the button feedback, and have also liked the scroll wheel feedback. The scroll in particular feels very different after this update.
Did they change it? Gotta look at that. Yeah, I also like the trackpad scroll wheel emulation. Quick and responsive. Not a fan of the circular scrolling, though. I prefer it set to vertical with high sensitivity.
How do you disable it? I couldn't see anything a second ago that looked as though it led to a disable haptics for button presses.
When you select a button to set its bind, press select. In the top right of the menu, there should be a haptic intensity option, among all the new modifier settings.
So in simple mans terms, you can make it so that in Call of Duty, you can press B to crouch and hold it to go prone now?
Exactly. Basically, this allows you to map multiple commands in one button the way console ports do. It's a game-changer.

I had to revert to the non-beta. I use my SC as the primary input device for me desktop so the suddenly broken functionality is untenable. Please let me know when they've fixed it!

It might be a bug. I vaguely recall this happening with a previous update.

After further reading, I don't think what I described in WoW is something Blizzard is ok with, so I won't be using it anymore : /

Yeah, it seems kind of strange that a developer of competitive multiplayer games is building macro software into their platform. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Yeah, it seems kind of strange that a developer of competitive multiplayer games is building macro software into their platform. I'm curious to see how this plays out.
Is it weird to say I've been confused since I saw a turbo feature day one? As far as I see, its only utility is to give rapid input without fatigue, which can be unfair in a multiplayer environment.

Help me out, duders -- I have early stage arthritis in one thumb, plus the tip of the thumb is heavily calloused, so it makes it very difficult for me to use it the way everyone recommends for the track pads (don't use the thumb pad). Is there any type of material I could apply to the pad of the thumb to simulate a fingertip, sorta like a stylus nub?

Nabs

They fixed some bugs with the latest beta:

Steam Controller
  • Fixed activators not showing up properly within mode shifts.
  • Fix for haptic settings not being inherited properly when converting previous format to new format.
  • Changed default Regular Press haptic setting to off by default.
  • Fixed activators not going back to advanced mode properties when cancelled within an advanced mode property binding.
  • Fix for multiple activators with multiple descriptions on a single input not appearing properly in the UI.
  • Fixed an issue where switch bindings (bumpers, start/back, etc) would not work properly in some configurations

Unai

I had opted out of the beta because I was afraid of the new bugs, but I guess it's time to try it again with these new fixes.

Is it weird to say I've been confused since I saw a turbo feature day one? As far as I see, its only utility is to give rapid input without fatigue, which can be unfair in a multiplayer environment.

Nah, I was initially surprised by it as well. Given the number of controllers over the years that have had this sort of functionality built in and the limited number of places that it'd be really advantageous, it's probably better to include it to give people more flexibility in building their configs and as an accessibility option for those who either have difficultly with, or are otherwise unable to repeatedly press buttons.

Macros, to me, seem much more prone to abuse, although even popular gaming keyboards from Logitech and Razer come with programmable macro buttons. I'm not sure how games with disallow the use of macros deal with those keyboards or other similar macro software.

Blizzard

Banned
Unless i'm mistaking in what you're meaning, you've been able to do this for the longest time.
What I want is the right touchpad to turn into a 3x3 grid, each section of which will activate something on touch.

As far as I've discovered, I can do this and have an action activate on click (put your thumb in that spot and click the entire pad) or on release (put your thumb in that spot, then lift). BUT, I don't know a way to do it on touch (put your thumb in that spot and instantly have a low-latency action activate).

This is really important to me for fighting games.

atr0cious

This broke my Overwatch bindings in the most wonderful way. I've been trying to learn Hanzo, so I was using him to set my controls. But,regular press defaults to firing over and over for some reason with his bow, so it wouldn't let me draw an arrow. So I had to set it to toggle on when I pressed the trigger with a start press, and now it fires for me. So now I can just tap the trigger and it will draw the arrow and hold it for me until I tap the trigger again. It's amazing. And it upped my mei play tremendously, because now I can "switch" off the fire while charging my icicle shot, its pretty awesome.

Just played around with the new update and it works much better now. I was able to port over my TIS-100 config as a way to test out the macro stuff a little more.

It probably varies from game to game, but I would occasionally get dropped inputs when the same key in a macro is pressed more than once in succession with only a single notch on the Fire Start slider between them. Offsetting duplicate keys by another notch on the slider was enough to fix it.

Labels mostly work now, although occasionally I was unable to make any labels when using multiple activators. Had to unbind all activators from the button, map a single key, label it, and then add the additional activators.

Ran into a weird bug when trying to make two different macros to a single button by having one set to Regular Press and the second to Long Press. The long press macro would come out normally, but all of the inputs from the regular press macro would come out backwards.

Blizzard

Banned
What I want is the right touchpad to turn into a 3x3 grid, each section of which will activate something on touch.

As far as I've discovered, I can do this and have an action activate on click (put your thumb in that spot and click the entire pad) or on release (put your thumb in that spot, then lift). BUT, I don't know a way to do it on touch (put your thumb in that spot and instantly have a low-latency action activate).

This is really important to me for fighting games.
I checked again today and this is still true.

You can choose "Button Click", "Button Release", and "Touch Release", but not plain "Touch". I want instant reaction muscle memory touch zones. :p

Just uploaded DOOM bindings that take advantage of activators. You wouldn't think it needs it considering how simple the control scheme is, but it actually helps a lot. Chainsaw and BFG are long press and double click on the right pad respectively, to keep your thumb on the trackpad. I also made it so a long press on the left bumper switches your weapon mod. Surprisingly handy; I found myself switching mods much more often.

EDIT: Just posted one up for Bioshock, as well. These activators are unreal; bind stuff appropriately, and it adds an entire level of depth to the controller. It all feels so natural, too.

Help me out, duders -- I have early stage arthritis in one thumb, plus the tip of the thumb is heavily calloused, so it makes it very difficult for me to use it the way everyone recommends for the track pads (don't use the thumb pad). Is there any type of material I could apply to the pad of the thumb to simulate a fingertip, sorta like a stylus nub?
What you're describing reminds me of the thumb strap the original DS came with with.
nds3.jpg
They don't seem to make them anymore, though. The closest thing I could find were some items on Amazon when searching for "thumb stylus", but I have no idea if the trackpad would recognize them. They seem to use the same material my phone stylus uses, which my SC doesn't seem to recognize. Maybe a thumb nub is something Valve should consider bundling with the upcoming Steam Controller revision?

Is it me or is the controller not working properly for Resident Evil 4? Some of the buttons aren't working on the most popular config and the second most popular config makes the game think that the control stick is being tilted constantly.

coopolon

modifying my controller config in dishonored causes steam streaming to crash about 1 in 3 times. Very frustrating, have to go back upstairs to restart steam.

Edit: hmm, my bumpers and grips stopped working in dishonored, even going back to NAB's config doesn't fix the problem.

Is this related to new features? I didn't change the profile at all, didn't add any activators or anything?

modifying my controller config in dishonored causes steam streaming to crash about 1 in 3 times. Very frustrating, have to go back upstairs to restart steam.

Edit: hmm, my bumpers and grips stopped working in dishonored, even going back to NAB's config doesn't fix the problem.

Is this related to new features? I didn't change the profile at all, didn't add any activators or anything?

I'm not sure about the first (I think that's just Big Picture Mode in general - it does that a lot for me) but the second issue is definitely because of the update. You may need to wipe that old controller layout and start new.

EDIT: Or better yet, do what Nabs said.

Nabs

It's a bug with the new update. Click on "Add Action Set" up top, use the drop down menu to select the Default Set, hit okay, then delete the original Action Set by hitting the back button. That should fix your bumpers and grips until they patch it.

belmonkey

man this beta is buggy lol

Definitely. I've had a few problems like my saved bindings switching places, so I keep switch between ones with similar names, but different bindings. I cleaned up all my unused saved bindings, but Valve should make a better way to sort them. Maybe like their Beta program, they should let you save "stable" builds in one tab, and "Work in Progress" builds in a different one, with the former needing to be designated as such. I dunno.

That aside, sometimes I set bindings and they revert to previous ones or mix up the order of multiple bindings. For instance, in WoW I've set up bindings to input text and immediately send it in chat (for emotes), but fairly often it screws up the order and therefore prevents the emotes from working. I think I got lucky that they do work atm, so I try to avoid touching and breaking them again.

It's pretty cool that you can now sorta do all kinds of stuff that involves multiple instances of text characters like complex words and whatnot thanks to activators.

in WoW I've set up bindings to input text and immediately send it in chat (for emotes), but fairly often it screws up the order and therefore prevents the emotes from working.
Are they all the same activator type and are you using Fire Start to adjust when each input is sent? I haven't tested it a ton, but I've only had issues with the order of inputs when using both regular press and long press activators on a single button.

belmonkey

Are they all the same activator type and are you using Fire Start to adjust when each input is sent? I haven't tested it a ton, but I've only had issues with the order of inputs when using both regular press and long press activators on a single button.

I've only used regular press for those, so maybe that's the issue. I usually just add one extra tick for fire start with each extra activator button I use. I think it seems to work ok if I set everything up at once and don't try to go back and change things afterwards.

belmonkey

Anyone else having issues getting the keyboard to appear on left joystick click?

In the desktop it usually takes me two presses for it to work. Maybe making an activator that hits the button twice would fix it?

Edit: Out of curiosity, would anyone here use the new activators to set up things like 1-button macros / combos for fighter games and actually use them? Dunno if I'd feel comfortable using that kind of thing against others.

Over-Run

Not sure if activators allow it, but for example in Call of Duty 4, can I make it so pressing B, crouches, and pressing it again will press space to stand up. So that way I can use B for crouching, standing up from crouch, holding to go prone and then pressing it to go to crouch and then again to stand up

New update:

Fixed Start/Select/Bumpers/Grips not working properly with certain configurations.
Fixed Mode-Shifts not being set properly in extended action sets.
Fixed Activator settings not sticking when no other settings were altered.
Fixed showing the "Show Activators" button while already inside an activator binding.
Fix for Euro Truck Simulator 2 not allowing action sets.
Added Start and Select to the available Mode-Shift buttons.

belmonkey

It looks like you got what you asked!

It's half there, but the Start and Back buttons themselves can not be mode-shifted still >_<

So to try and avoid Blizzard's WoW restrictions, I've changed up my bindings to only trigger one button at a time. It's still (almost) functionally the same though after changing a few key bindings, although having healbot spells on 1 button press is an issue. If only the controller had mouse buttons 1-15 bindable like Healbot supports, instead of being limited to the current 5 mouse buttons.

Also, I've been wondering of ways to try and find a loophole with that "one press one action" thing for a Dps rotation. Does each "tick" of a scroll wheel count as a button "press"? I was wondering about the idea of trying to bind a skill sequence on a scroll wheel so that it cycles through and keeps repeating the skills as you move your thumb around it. Since it would send off only one key input with each tick, I was thinking it might technically be "ok". I think the scroll wheel can be used that way with the new update, but haven't tried yet.

I can't get Deus Ex (with Kentie's Deus exe mod) to work properly with the SC. Bindings just wont work. I notice the BP overlay doesn't load while in game, so I'm guessing that's part of the problem. Anybody have a clue to what's happening here?

Figured it out. Turns out it was a problem with the DX10 renderer. Just posting this in case someone has the same problem with me and tries googling it and ends up here. The solution was to change to the opengl renderer instead.

Now plays awesome with the SC controller. Woot!

Does anyone know if there is a way to use the touch menus without actually using the Steam controller? I'd love it if I could bring those up just using a mouse.

Top Bottom