• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Track pads on laptops used to do this years ago. Then a few years later they got them to stop drifting after a couple of seconds of inactivity. Now it's sorted. I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it.

CO_Andy

I'm not quite sure why Valve included two trackpads (other then for lefties i guess). It's like having two mice, and what game uses two mice?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not quite sure why Valve included two trackpads (other then for lefties i guess). It's like having two mice, and what game uses two mice?
In theory it gives the maximum number of options. You could use them as two sticks, two d-pads, two sets of 4 buttons each, mix and match depending on whether you're right or left handed as you point out, etc.

As a right-handed person I could have skipped the left pad and moved the left stick up there though.

CO_Andy

As someone who can't stand playing 2D games with an analog stick I'm very happy the left pad is there, assuming it feels good as a d-pad.
You can either depress the trackpad to move (which requires a good deal of pressure) or you can use it like a touchpad to move, which isn't ideal either cause unlike button presses your thumb is basically resting on the stick/dpad when you move.

Basically you need to lift your thumb up when you want to stop moving, which causes a bit of hand fatigue (also your character slides a bit since your naturally sliding your thumb off, which is completely awful for precision 2D platforming).

Nzyme32

As someone who can't stand playing 2D games with an analog stick I'm very happy the left pad is there, assuming it feels good as a d-pad.

The dpad has been really great once you set it up to suit how you play. However it definitely feels a bit strange off the bat, but you can adjust fairly quickly. I personally prefer a small deadzone so you can just rock your thumb, while having it as activating on click rather than on touch. With the haptics high I'm finding it better than the ds3 and 360 dpads. Once you adjust to it, it's actually nice to be able to switch between rolling your thumb around and utilising the larger surface area for more lazy movements.

Although on the downside some of the controller have some software issues where the deadzone isn't exactly where it should be. Mine is a little more up and right than it should be. It apparently will get a fix soon.

hepburn3d

Well today's the first day I've tried replacing the stick with a d-pad and using the stick as a d-pad and it's been amazing. It feels so fluid rocking your finger around to move on the left pad and pushing down for sprint. With high haptics on the stick it makes for a great d pad and I've never hit the wrong direction. I set the dead zone really high so it'd be hard to.

Again though as great as it's been it's too early to review the controller. It's got so much more potential and I can see more ideas and features coming to it. I now look at this controller and wonder why Sony and more so Microsoft changed so little on their designs. This controller blows the others out of the water, even in its beta, adjusting days.
My AA's are now at 72%. Will invest in some rechargeable ones soon I think.

scitek

Does anyone use it strictly as a dual analog replacement? What's the best way to set up the trackpads to emulate analog sticks? I assume you want as small a dead zone as possible?

Won

Ha, feel like a fool for not realising that the added mode shift triggers mean indeed just the triggers and not all shoulder buttons. I also only realized today that I can mode shift each pad/trigger only once, so my dream of tripling down on the shoulder buttons is probably dead for now.

Of course I can still accomplish the effect with changing ingame keybindings, but imo that defeats the purpose of the controller. But I'm sure things willl continue to improve.

poodaddy

Going to depend no the game and how you set up the control. I've been playing Divinity Original Sin with the controller and it works really well. The combat in that is turned based though so that helps. But overall very positive experience.

Anything that's mainly pointing and clicking should work really well without too much setting up required. Pad for cursor control, triggers for left and right click and then the various buttons set up to whatever keys you need.
It's memorising the buttons when there's no on screen prompts that I find takes the most getting used to.

Thanks to the both of you, it sounds like the controller's going to work very well for the types of games that I want to play with it, and that's all I could ask.

I'm having trouble getting to the steam controller config screen in non-steam games. It flips back and forth quickly and at random between game and config screen. Anyone else experience this? Happens in Unity and Witcher 3.

This is unrelated, but how does this dude fly across like the whole map in rocket league? How does he get so much air from jumps?

jump and tilt your car to where your jet is is angled near the ground and let your boosters go to town, you'll start flying. practice it and you can become a monster in rocket league where now you can go after the ball instead of waiting for it to hit the ground :)

Red

jump and tilt your car to where your jet is is angled near the ground and let your boosters go to town, you'll start flying. practice it and you can become a monster in rocket league where now you can go after the ball instead of waiting for it to hit the ground :)
Thanks, didn't realize you could use boosters like that in the air, though now the title seems a lot more relevant.

The controller, so far, has been pretty hit or miss me. Games like FTL and HL2 are a breeze but others, especially those with tiny selectable UI elements, give me a decent amount of trouble when trying to be very accurate. Though my biggest issue so far has actually been with BPM itself. Having games crash when trying to change resolutions or having things be launched in windowed mode by default that has issues when trying to revert to fullscene have been a bit too common for my liking.

Recalling how much better the experience was for launching/playing games in SteamOS I'm going to switch my HTPC back to that for the time being. Been curious for a while now to see how SteamOS has changed since I last took a look anyways.

Thanks, didn't realize you could use boosters like that in the air, though now the title seems a lot more relevant.

lol yea. its pretty advanced shit so like i said, practice it. you'll suck at first but eventually you'll get the hang out it. use your boost in moderation so you still have some when you land.

Russ T

Banned
All right guys here I am with another stupid question.

I can't find anything on the Steam Controller replacement policy. Can someone point me in the right direction? It appears I am an idiot.

EDIT: Immediately after posting this I manage to find this page: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2754-YPKV-8614

Think I'm good. Ignore me! Thaaaanks. :D

(EDIT EDIT: Well actually there's nothing here about what I want, but at this point I guess I'll just submit a support ticket. Was hoping to avoid that as long as possible until I was absolutely sure what I needed, given how slow they generally are. Oh well.)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
One of the controller setups for Undertale says something along the lines "Press Select+Steam Home button to bring up keyboard" but I don't see how that works because it brings up the overlay and tries to quit the game.

That is indeed the default shortcut to bring up the keyboard in all games, but it doesn't seem like that or the steam button + RT for screenshot is working for that game.

laxu

I'm having trouble getting to the steam controller config screen in non-steam games. It flips back and forth quickly and at random between game and config screen. Anyone else experience this? Happens in Unity and Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 should work without a hitch. I've had BPM crash once when changing settings but otherwise it works as expected. I simply added the Witcher3 exe into Steam, then go to Big Picture Mode and launch it from there.

Nzyme32

One of the controller setups for Undertale says something along the lines "Press Select+Steam Home button to bring up keyboard" but I don't see how that works because it brings up the overlay and tries to quit the game.

Back + guide is the shortcut for the on-screen keyboard, but I think they are keeping it a bit quiet for now since it is a little wonky. Sometimes if you press the buttons in a particular timing, you deselect the text area before bringing up the keyboard. They probably prefer accessing the overlay first and choosing the keyboard since that currently avoids the issue

Lork

Has anybody managed to get the controller working with Phantasy Star Online 2? Either the anti-cheat software they use or something about the chain of patchers and launchers before you can start the game seems to be preventing the controller from working at all with it.

Are there any standard workarounds to problems like that?

Can someone that has the steam controller and Max Payne 3 installed test something for me?
Inside the game, press the steam button to open big picture... For me this always crashes Steam completely, cant configure the control because of this, is it just me?

Lork

Can someone that has the steam controller and Max Payne 3 installed test something for me?
Inside the game, press the steam button to open big picture... For me this always crashes Steam completely, cant configure the control because of this, is it just me?
I don't have Max Payne 3, but you can configure the control scheme for a game without starting it up by going to "Manage game" in Big Picture mode. If you wanted to tweak the controls to a high degree it would be a painful process, but if you just wanted to eg. set it up with the standard gamepad + high precision profile, that would work in a pinch.

MNC

Trigger as a modeshift/gyro button should be godlike.

Are private controller templates per game in the cloud? Would like to playtest a bit with the gyro button while not at home.

I don't have Max Payne 3, but you can configure the control scheme for a game without starting it up by going to "Manage game" in Big Picture mode. If you wanted to tweak the controls to a high degree it would be a painful process, but if you just wanted to eg. set it up with the standard gamepad + high precision profile, that would work in a pinch.

I'm going to try this, but I am trying to tweak the gyro and that requires lots of trial and error. Very weird, only game that does this for me so far, maybe it's the social club.

Jon Armdog

Well, I scored my Steam Controller finally! Got it for almost retail price via ebay. I spent most of the day yesterday playing with configurations for Age of Empires, WoW, and Pillars of Eternity. So far, it's pretty solid. As far as WoW goes, it seems to be good for general questing and screwing around, but not as quick in dungeons. PoE and AoE2 are perfect though, and I don't see myself usinga kbm setup for them again.

The connection and big picture mode have been sort of buggy. I had to switch USB ports, because the controller kept disconnecting. I think overall I just need some more time with this thing. It will also help when there are more community bindings.

I do have one question though for the experts - can you use more than one modifier on the face buttons? I can get one trigger to modify them, but can I set different commands for left+A versus right+A?

Red

Can anyone else confirm Chompy Chomp Chomp, Castle in the Darkness, and Blocks That Matter do not work with the steam controller?

Nzyme32

Wonder how much battery the haptics and gyros use. Wondering if constantly changing my configs might be draining it to.

I've been messing with mine pretty intensely since Oct 16th. There was one day where the battery was 78% but the icon of the battery seemed to indicate it was full - fast forward an hour of playing a game and checking again, and it was reporting 100% again.

Edit: I stand corrected - finally at 96% battery life, with well over 20hrs of use

Is there any way to turn off the Steam Controller and Exit Big Picture mode at the same time? Right now, i'm turning off the controller, then exiting Big Picture manually.

Same. Pretty silly. I'm sure they will eventually change this

Is there any way to turn off the Steam Controller and Exit Big Picture mode at the same time? Right now, i'm turning off the controller, then exiting Big Picture manually.

The controller will just turn off if you leave it for a while, depending on your settings.

charpunk

Messed around with Guild Wars 2 last night with the new action cam option. Now I really want to get the expansion. Steam controller makes the game way more enjoyable for me. So awesome being able to use a soft trigger press as a mode shift key.

Messed around with Guild Wars 2 last night with the new action cam option. Now I really want to get the expansion. Steam controller makes the game way more enjoyable for me. So awesome being able to use a soft trigger press as a mode shift key.

I thought about doing that (soft trigger as shift), but felt it might make things awkward. I guess I could make it dual shifts? So soft for one shift, hard for another? But I wanted to make sure all skills that I could get would be on the triggers so that I can maintain aiming and moving. I might take another look at it though.

Witcher 3 should work without a hitch. I've had BPM crash once when changing settings but otherwise it works as expected. I simply added the Witcher3 exe into Steam, then go to Big Picture Mode and launch it from there.

Are you running an Nvidia card? Sli? Searching online, I've found others with a similar problem, and they all have Nvidia cards. Thanks!

Shawsie64

Banned
Anyone know where I can pick one up here in AUS?

No idea.. I want to know the same thing. I ended up snagging one off the /r/hardwareswap forum for cost price, all up came to $90AUD including postage, which is prob around what they will be marked up to here at EB anyways.

Nzyme32

Started messing with Fallout New Vegas since I've never played it before. It's another game where you are stuck with either a 360 style controller solution or mouse and keyboard. After messing with it and realising what was similar to Fallout 3, I opted for mouse and keyboard bindings, but made my own out of someone else's that was close to matching what I wanted. I published them as "Fallout NV Keyboard / Mouse bindings"

I really love the controller setup for it now. Took me a while to get used to the dual stage trigger usage, which for some reason is refusing to set the right trigger to relaxed hip-fire (which I assume is a bpm bug). The only down side is in control of the pipboy, which is a bit clunky as you need the mouse to change between the three buttons, after which everything can be done relatively easily.

Also this is the first binding set I've used where I have the dpad activating on touch, so that the click can also be enter. I also have the right trackpad click as reload since clicking to use (which people seem to be standardising on) can knock your aim of a bit, while reloading won't matter. I also have double tap of the pad to change ammo type, which is surprisingly intuitive when also connected to where reload is.

Love how much customisation is available for situations like this

hepburn3d

Started messing with Fallout New Vegas since I've never played it before. It's another game where you are stuck with either a 360 style controller solution or mouse and keyboard. After messing with it and realising what was similar to Fallout 3, I opted for mouse and keyboard bindings, but made my own out of someone else's that was close to matching what I wanted. I published them as "Fallout NV Keyboard / Mouse bindings"

I really love the controller setup for it now. Took me a while to get used to the dual stage trigger usage, which for some reason is refusing to set the right trigger to relaxed hip-fire (which I assume is a bpm bug). The only down side is in control of the pipboy, which is a bit clunky as you need the mouse to change between the three buttons, after which everything can be done relatively easily.

Also this is the first binding set I've used where I have the dpad activating on touch, so that the click can also be enter. I also have the right trackpad click as reload since clicking to use (which people seem to be standardising on) can knock your aim of a bit, while reloading won't matter. I also have double tap of the pad to change ammo type, which is surprisingly intuitive when also connected to where reload is.

Love how much customisation is available for situations like this

I noticed that with Fallout NV to. It's annoying for the pip boy but other than that it's fine. I like your ammo type idea. Will be borrowing that :)

It's so hard to give up the precision of mouse for a controller stick. Wish there was a way to emulate the stick better but I find it to cumbersome with the track pad. Maybe I need to tinker more

Top Bottom