• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam controller!! Why is it worthless? Tell me, how!

keraj37

I paid like $60 for steam controller not knowing what I am getting myself into.
It is complete worthless! My old xbox 360 pad worth less then a half of it is ten times better.
It has TWO analog joysticks not ONE like shitty steam controller.

It works everywhere! Not only on Steam and only with games that directly support it.

I am willingly giving away my steam controller to whoever wants to pay for package expediences.

iu
>
iu

Last edited:

Shifty

The Steam controller is a far cry from worthless, but it takes a good amount of effort to dial in proper settings for each game. You have to be willing to program that shit unless you're happy using community-submitted setups.

And saying it only works with games that directly support it is a false statement. Any game that supports a 360 pad (or just KB/M) will work provided that you add it to steam as a 'non-steam game'.

If anything really hurts it, it's the lack of a proper d-pad. A trackpad subs in fine for a right stick most of the time, but it sucks at replacing physical buttons.

How are you supposed to play an fps on the steam pad?
Because the right trackpad works like a mouse.

It's one of the genres that benefits hugely from that design choice.

I tried to play Fallout 4 with it - one of few games that actually recognize steam controller - and it was painful as a baseball bat in my head put there by super mutant.
What config were you using? If the default one just emulates a traditional controller then yeah it's going to suck.

You should find a popular community config and give that a go before dismissing the whole thing.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Yeah, honestly it was a cool new thing at the time and that was it. I never ever bothered using it, eventually sold it, and went back to a 360 controller.

keraj37

The Steam controller is a far cry from worthless, but it takes a good amount of effort to dial in proper settings for each game. You have to be willing to program that shit unless you're happy using community-submitted setups.

And saying it only works with games that directly support it is a false statement. Any game that supports a 360 pad (or just KB/M) will work provided that you add it to steam as a 'non-steam game'.

If anything really hurts it, it's the lack of a proper d-pad. A trackpad subs in fine for a right stick most of the time, but it sucks at replacing physical buttons.

Because the right trackpad works like a mouse.

It's one of the genres that benefits hugely from that design choice.

What config were you using? If the default one just emulates a traditional controller then yeah it's going to suck.

You should find a popular community config and give that a go before dismissing the whole thing.

Oh no no no, that is not my experience at all! Only few games where seeing steam controller as a gaming pad and only the native steam games.
I tried to play fifa 2018 and many other sport games adding them to steam as a non steam games and I couldn't make steam pad work.

My xbox controller is just plug and play and all the games see it and I play comfortably.

Okay, maybe I am doing something wrong, I was even trying this GloSC or whatever the name was but without success.

Last edited:
A lot of exclamation points flying around in here. I'm a little uncomfortable.

Anyway, I always thought the Steam controller looked like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Mouse and keyboard = good. Traditional joypad = good. Weird hybrid = not so good.

Never tried one, though, so I could be humongously wrong.

Last edited:

Shifty

Oh no no no, that is not my experience at all! Only few games where seeing steam controller as a gaming pad and only the native steam games.
I tried to play fifa 2018 and many other sport games adding them to steam as a non steam games and I couldn't make steam pad work.

My xbox controller is just plug and play and all the games see it and I play comfortably.

Okay, maybe I am doing something wrong, I was even trying this GloSC or whatever the name was but without success.
Sometimes some extra finagling is required to make it show up in some non-steam games, like having to manually select the controller in the game's options menu, making sure it's the primary controller in its steam-side controller settings, or sometimes even setting steam input to 'forced on' in its big picture page. It also won't work if the game's exe is set to run as admin (for whatever reason) but steam's isn't.

Making sure to unplug other controllers can help as well, since they might be getting picked as 'device 0' instead of the steam controller.

I've never had to use GloSC myself, though it seems like more of a convenience thing to sidestep the requirement of adding stuff as a non-steam game. It won't help if the game is already having trouble picking it up for whatever reason.

A lot of exclamation points flying around in here. I'm a little uncomfortable.

Anyway, I always thought the Steam controller looked like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Mouse and keyboard = good. Traditional joypad = good. Weird hybrid = not so good.

Never tried one, though, so I could be humongously wrong.
In theory it can give you the optimal setup that is analog stick movement + gyro/mouse aiming (plus whatever fancy shortcuts you can dream up with steam's input action system), but in practice it depends on the game.

Some titles refuse to take KB/M and pad input simultaneously, some will rapidly flicker their UI prompts back and forth, some (older) titles are designed for DirectInput only and won't take analog input, etc etc.

It can be a crapshoot, but it's great when it works.

Steam controller looks really ugly and uncomfortable
It needed a second hardware revision with nicer ergonomics and a real d-pad to truly shine tbh, but it's still good despite the flaws.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

The steam controller is actually objectively superior to any input device sans a mouse and keyboard to play fps, third person shooters, and third person cover shooter games. The touch pad gives you quick 180 degree turns with the swipe of a thumb. The gyroscope gives you precision aim unmatched on the console realm. It has paddle buttons for additional inputs as well as dual stage triggers that act for more inputs.

Last edited:

keraj37

Sometimes some extra finagling is required to make it show up in some non-steam games, like having to manually select the controller in the game's options menu, making sure it's the primary controller in its steam-side controller settings, or sometimes even setting steam input to 'forced on' in its big picture page. It also won't work if the game's exe is set to run as admin (for whatever reason) but steam's isn't.

Making sure to unplug other controllers can help as well, since they might be getting picked as 'device 0' instead of the steam controller.

I've never had to use GloSC myself, though it seems like more of a convenience thing to sidestep the requirement of adding stuff as a non-steam game. It won't help if the game is already having trouble picking it up for whatever reason.

In theory it can give you the optimal setup that is analog stick movement + gyro/mouse aiming (plus whatever fancy shortcuts you can dream up with steam's input action system), but in practice it depends on the game.

Some titles refuse to take KB/M and pad input simultaneously, some will rapidly flicker their UI prompts back and forth, some (older) titles are designed for DirectInput only and won't take analog input, etc etc.

It can be a crapshoot, but it's great when it works.

It needed a second hardware revision with nicer ergonomics and a real d-pad to truly shine tbh, but it's still good despite the flaws.
The steam controller is actually objectively superior to any input device sans a mouse and keyboard to play fps, third person shooters, and third person cover shooter games. The touch pad gives you quick 180 degree turns with the swipe of a thumb. The gyroscope gives you precision aim unmatched on the console realm. It has paddle buttons for additional inputs as well as dual stage triggers that act for more inputs.

Okay so it looks like I wasn't using it right - but for my needs xbox controller is 10 times better coz it is simply working.

But I still give a way steam pad to first winner.

petran79

Banned
But what about platformers, fighting games, shmups, puzzle games? This feels like playing on a touch pad which makes them unplayable beyond beginner level if you prefer dpad instead of thumbstick

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I hope not. Outside of shooters I can't think of any other genre that will benefit from it.
Racing games also work well with it. The only genre it really suffers with is fighting games. A lot of people use special gamepads, hitbox, keyboard and arcade stick with them anyway. So you would be alienating a niche audience that often times buys special equipment anyway.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Racing games also work well with it. The only genre it really suffers with is fighting games. A lot of people use special gamepads, hitbox, keyboard and arcade stick with them anyway. So you would be alienating a niche audience that often times buys special equipment anyway.
But people that play racing games have a steering wheel! Fighting games can go either way. I know plenty of degenerates that don't use stick or use a hitbox. But then again barely anybody actually plays fighters. Platformers, rhythm games and shmups would be aids to play with the steam controller. Also sports games?

Tygeezy

But people that play racing games have a steering wheel! Fighting games can go either way. I know plenty of degenerates that don't use stick or use a hitbox. But then again barely anybody actually plays fighters. Platformers, rhythm games and shmups would be aids to play with the steam controller. Also sports games?
Any game where you can use left stick for movement also works well with a steam controller. the left track pad is also underrated for movement in any 3d game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am using it for steamlink to control pc when I watch movies from pc on my old tv. Great way to stream desktop to tv.
Next best use is playing midi with its haptic motors but that app dont work for years now :(
As for gaming? Useless and I've tried... Oh I've tried.
Its magic with its motors and weird ways to operafe. I marvel at it but its unusable lol

Last edited:

Walledhouse

I really like the controller; the programability; the gyro.

Playing single-player third or first person games with it is good fun. The ability to use the gyro to make fine-tune aiming adjustments is really cool and intuitive.

I even set up racing games to use the gyro to turn. It makes the games super hard, but it is fun to show off and for my child.

Some games that don’t like simultaneous Xbox 360 and Keyboard inputs really shit the bed though; and some will have that interface flicker between button prompts like crazy.

You also lose all meaning to onscreen button prompts. When the game says mash [Space] to mantle you have to remember that you bound that to some button.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider really shits the bed with the controller. It specifically says it supports controller fuckery but it actually just complicates the matter. Sometimes Lara just gets stuck in aim-down-sights.

Games like Warframe, where you have third-person controls; menu controls; space combat controls; melee mode controls - all these modes make programming it a pain in the backside.

It basically doesn’t work for anything off Xbox Gamepass too; which breaks my heart. You can’t do steam overlays on UWP type programs so you need crazy workarounds that are not worth it.

Rumble is basically missing too. They sort or emulate it but it isn’t good.

PhoenixTank

I am willingly giving away my steam controller to whoever wants to pay for package expediences.
My left pad on my Steam controller no longer vibrates (old battery leaked and damaged part of it, I think).
If you're serious and shipping isn't halfway across the world from me, I'm interested.

Makes for a decent couch controller for a PC, especially on games without gamepad support.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
All I'm reading is "I'VE ONLY USED ONE CONTROLLER SETUP IN MY LIFE SO I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT IT'S LIKE TO GET OVER A LEARNING CURVE"
Every controller has a learning curve--ever handed a gamepad to someone who's never played a console? They get stuck staring at the sky or the ground. The Steam Controller's a brand new learning curve, but once you're over it, it's just as comfortable as anything else you're used to using.
I like to collect a whole bunch of odd controllers, lets me pick the most ergonomic input method for whichever game I play. Sometimes that's the Steam Controller! Or my Razer Hydra. Or dual analog, or a fancy keypad, or just regular keyboard and mouse. A G700s, tHE MOST ERGONOMIC MOUSE EVER I SWEAR IT

Keihart

Playing fps with a trackpacd...yeah like anybody willingly chooses that over a mouse or an analogue stick

Tygeezy

All I'm reading is "I'VE ONLY USED ONE CONTROLLER SETUP IN MY LIFE SO I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT IT'S LIKE TO GET OVER A LEARNING CURVE"
Every controller has a learning curve--ever handed a gamepad to someone who's never played a console? They get stuck staring at the sky or the ground. The Steam Controller's a brand new learning curve, but once you're over it, it's just as comfortable as anything else you're used to using.
I like to collect a whole bunch of odd controllers, lets me pick the most ergonomic input method for whichever game I play. Sometimes that's the Steam Controller! Or my Razer Hydra. Or dual analog, or a fancy keypad, or just regular keyboard and mouse. A G700s, tHE MOST ERGONOMIC MOUSE EVER I SWEAR IT
Unfortunately that mouse is heavy as a brick and the sensor isn't great for gaming. I prefer lighter ambidextrous mice for gaming.

Tygeezy

Playing fps with a trackpacd...yeah like anybody willingly chooses that over a mouse or an analogue stick
You use both the track pad and the gyro. Track pad for macro movement, gyro for micro movement (aim). It's why it shits all over thumb stick which is poor at both macro and micro.

ethomaz

Banned
It continues being uncomfortable after you learn lol

I'm not sure what they were smoking when create it because it is worst than mouse/keyboard for shooters and worst than a conventional controller to everything else lol

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Heavy? I'm kinda puzzled, that's really a surprise to hear.
Yeah, that mouse is 152 grams. For comparison the mouse I use is wireless and 85 grams. 130 + grams is in the brick territory for mice in my opinion. That weight is perfectly suitable to regular desktop use. Gaming though you are picking up the mouse frequently and flicking it around.

@ keraj37 keraj37 You paid $52.01 too much. I got mine for $7.99 (they had a blowout sale on them some time back), and I tried to use it, but it was too much trouble and I never could get used to it. That said, I know some people love it.

Last edited:

A.Romero

It is complete worthless! My old xbox 360 pad worth less then a half of it is ten times better.

It works everywhere! Not only on Steam and only with games that directly support it.

>

I'm interested. Always wanted one.

I'm in Mexico but I bet we can arrange something.

The left touchpad is not necessary so we can replace it with a d-pad.
I'd accept leaving one analog stick on the left with a d-pad above/below it, and a haptic trackpad on the right. with the face buttons above/below it.

But southpaws am cry. :lollipop_weary:

Sony could just give us ambidextrous PlayCons with our choice of D-pad + analog, D-pad + trackpad, trackpad + analog, trackpad + facebuttons, etc but that's asking too much.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Yeah, that mouse is 152 grams. For comparison the mouse I use is wireless and 85 grams. 130 + grams is in the brick territory for mice in my opinion. That weight is perfectly suitable to regular desktop use. Gaming though you are picking up the mouse frequently and flicking it around.
152g is really heavy for a mouse.
aw geez, I could give my G703 a try. Got one around here somewhere, received it for free. Thought I might just sell it unopened though, the decreased amount of buttons is so disappointing...
I'm probably sticking with my G700s till I see a mouse with as many comfy buttons. The Tuact Venom-X might work for me, but I dunno, looks like it might feel real cheap. Nice piece of oddware though. Probably gonna buy it just for that.

Grinchy

Banned
I spent like 5+ hours in total trying to make a mouse/keyboard configuration for Fallout 4 that worked well. I learned a ton about the controller and how I could tailor it to every control change I wanted, but in the end, it was just so time-consuming to do and there were input lag issues.

I haven't touched it again since. Even in games where you just download a standard controller profile, the clicky shoulders and unsatisfying buttons along with the lack of a proper right analog stick make it pointless when I could just use a PS4 controller.

Lister

Banned
Its basically the only game in town if you want to play a gane with no gamepad support, with a gamepad in a way that doesn't suck.

And that is its main function.

Its also like a bizzillion times better than a regular gamepad for fps games. Its just not as good as mk, but nothing else really is either, outside of vr.

Cato

Banned

Don't give it away.
Crush it with a hammer, then urinate on it.
Put the video on youtube and you will at least get some ad-revenue for it.

Top Bottom