• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Ruruja

I think I'm very far from the typical Steam user, but I still find it more useful than the previous store front page. The previous one provided me with exactly 0 new information -- I already knew about pretty much every game that was featured on there before it was featured. Now, that's no longer the case, I actually find stuff in my discovery queue which I didn't know about.

I agree it's better than the old standard store front page, but surely you agree their old Sales layout was better?

Maniac

Banned
I've had it since last night, it's working brilliantly. I forgot to launch it as an administrator, and as Windows works in mysterious ways, my administrator account doesn't, in fact, have administrative privileges. Anyway, it's working wonderfully nonetheless. I've nothing to report from the usage thus far as it's been damn well flawless. Also really glad to not have to use Firefox anymore, as I always have somewhere between 40-100 tabs open.

Oh and I took some lovely pictures!
Juan
Two
Three

What the f...

I tried to post this like 6 hours ago but hadn't realised that it was lost in "internet problems limbo" but now it suddenly shows up... What the fuck >_>

Excellent! Glad it's working well for you
and apparently, most everyone since I've not got much feedback other than "works great"

As always, let me know if you run into any issues. I'm working on some more updates for the program, namely configuration options in the launcher like the Chrome version has in it's extension options. I'm also looking forward to trying out the "auto-update" feature fully. So - stay tuned!
I'll let you know! Ofcourse, it may or may not arrive 6+ hours late... >_>

With the issues I'm having right now I'm even more excited about getting fiber, so that's always something!

Speaking of: I'm paying for 10/5, and right now I'm not even getting 2/1. lol... And man, this post have had a lot of pseudo-edits while I'm just waiting for it to actually get posted!
Finally got my Free™ $20 Steam gift card.

Sales come to papa.

What where and more importantly: HOW!?

Also someone posted a thingie where you could save some money on giftcards by buying them from some sort of site, anyone got a link for it? I wanna top-up my wallet for winter. :p

Durante

I agree it's better than the old standard store front page, but surely you agree their old Sales layout was better?
How?

With both the old and new, what I care about on the front page is seeing the daily/short-term deals. That works equally well as it did before.

And the quick overview of all reduced games on my wishlist is a net gain. What useful feature is it missing?

Ruruja

How?

With both the old and new, what I care about on the front page is seeing the daily/short-term deals. That works equally well as it did before.

And the quick overview of all reduced games on my wishlist is a net gain. What useful feature is it missing?

An easy-to-view layout.

Durante

Where was/is that?
Something like "my sale". There's a screenshot of what it looked like in the blog post:
steamwishlistsale.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
daily is Xenonauts 33% boo on that discount

It really is strange. Felt more like a movie than a game

No worries. There's plenty of game to it.

It's basically Samurai Simulator.

-Fairly open-world
-Tasks to perform for cash
-Tons of weapons to find & upgrade
-A variety of styles (move-sets + abilities) to acquire
-Lots of characters to interact
-A huge amount of titles. Depending on actions and play-style you receive a title when you complete the game. For example, if you kill 100+ people you're considered a random slasher, eat nothing but vegetables and get called a vegetarian, etc.
-Multiple endings and story-paths
-Strange side-quests
-Boatload of customization (eventually everyone is playable, and there are a plethora of outfits + accessories)
-etc

Hopefully the PC version keeps the online functionality. Basically the Samurai you create will "invade" other player's games. It's not actual versus play, since they just fight your copy. Still very neat.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Something like "my sale". There's a screenshot of what it looked like in the blog post:

This line of questioning got me thinking about a post I made back in April

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=109808014&postcount=19512

It was in response to the video that TotalBiscuit made about how the "new releases" section of the home page was being cluttered with garbage. This was before they changed the "default" in the old store to just show the top sellers, and months before the discovery queue update was rolled out.

Sadly, a lot of my points from 8 months ago still stand. The only way they fixed the width of the page was by adding an additional sidebar to the left. There are a few customization options (which are nice) but I still feel like Enhanced Steam gives people a lot more flexibility in deciding exactly which sections of the home page they'd like to see each time.

To their credit, the home page is more customized to things it thinks you'll actually be interested in now though, so maybe someone at Valve read my post.

Lomax

Help me decided, should I?
dOauYmq.png

Personally since it seems unlikely you'd play both in the near future, I'd just grab FFIV and play it and wait for a better deal on XIII-2.

No worries. There's plenty of game to it.

It's basically Samurai Simulator.

-Fairly open-world
-Tasks to perform for cash
-Tons of weapons to find & upgrade
-A variety of styles (move-sets + abilities) to acquire
-Lots of characters to interact
-A huge amount of titles. Depending on actions and play-style you receive a title when you complete the game. For example, if you kill 100+ people you're considered a random slasher, eat nothing but vegetables and get called a vegetarian, etc.
-Multiple endings and story-paths
-Strange side-quests
-Boatload of customization (eventually everyone is playable, and there are a plethora of outfits + accessories)
-etc

Hopefully the PC version keeps the online functionality. Basically the Samurai you create will "invade" other player's games. It's not actual versus play, since they just fight your copy. Still very neat.

That sounds pretty amazing actually.

Nzyme32

NOTE

• Batman Arkham Knight up there with no price - might get a price soon
  • Last time games were added following the event - Look out for MGSV GZ

Dr Dogg

Parsnip

So TGA's are in 7 hours 38 minutes or so.
I guess I need to tune in for whatever announcements and trailers they show, couldn't care less about the actual awards.

Since my boy Kiefer will be there, date for TPP seems likely.

derExperte

Why showing games that doesn't have any discount? This is just ridiculous Gabe!!!!

Steam has officially gone to shit. Down with those greedy bastards, Gaben has abandoned us. Off to Origin and their explosive new sale (
7,99€ for NfS Rivals Complete is actually decent and you can get some free stuff for Garden Warfare
).

dave is ok

aztek is ok
There are 24 games on that page, but they opted for 7 rows of 4 with two empty spots instead of 6 perfect rows of 4...

HL3 L4D3

Dr Dogg

Feel free to laugh at me if this is wrong but The Keighley's are going to go a little like this. Big flashy show more about marketing than a celebration of the achievements of the industry the past year. Sponsors names will be dropped or mentioned, publishers will have more focus than developers, there will be more focus on hype and buzz than achievement and merit. All the 'shock' announcements and premiers will either be predictable or yet more marketing switcharoos.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Feel free to laugh at me if this is wrong but The Keighley's are going to go a little like this. Big flashy show more about marketing than a celebration of the achievements of the industry the past year. Sponsors names will be dropped or mentioned, publishers will have more focus than developers, there will be more focus on hype and buzz than achievement and merit. All the 'shock' announcements and premiers will either be predictable or yet more marketing switcharoos.

Yep, sounds about right to me. Please be excited.

Top Bottom