• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Feel free to laugh at me if this is wrong but The Keighley's are going to go a little like this. Big flashy show more about marketing than a celebration of the achievements of the industry the past year. Sponsors names will be dropped or mentioned, publishers will have more focus than developers, there will be more focus on hype and buzz than achievement and merit. All the 'shock' announcements and premiers will either be predictable or yet more marketing switcharoos.

why would we laugh at you, thats what these awards always are. just because they arent on spike this time doesnt mean it will be any more serious

Uzzy

Feel free to laugh at me if this is wrong but The Keighley's are going to go a little like this. Big flashy show more about marketing than a celebration of the achievements of the industry the past year. Sponsors names will be dropped or mentioned, publishers will have more focus than developers, there will be more focus on hype and buzz than achievement and merit. All the 'shock' announcements and premiers will either be predictable or yet more marketing switcharoos.

That's basically exactly how I feel about it too. The focus on announcements for future titles is totally wrong at an awards show that should be about celebrating the past year in video games. It's like watching the Oscars and seeing DiCaprio use his best actors winners speech to advertise his next film.

Just another example of the relentless pace of games media. Forget anything that came out even last week, focus entirely on stuff that'll come out over the next few years.

def sim

While I'm excited for a new street fighter, I wish they would fix the netcode in USF4 first. It's still noticeably worse than before the move to steamworks.

yeah, what the hell could Arkham Knight be in contention for other than best game of 2013 that got delayed to 2014?

While I'm excited for a new street fighter, I wish they would fix the netcode in USF4 first. It's still noticeably worse than before the move to steamworks.

rumor has it that they switched over to the SFxT netcode with the transition and that's why it's a bit of a mess.

Nzyme32

The amusing part here is having a fanfare that is call for the industry and awards to be taken as seriously as other mediums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCUMhqSU1C0

And then the rest of the show is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iya5ovk6t7w

I expect a cluster fuck - although they also have had WetaWorkshop (LOTR fame) make the award. It's like they picked a couple of things to make prestigeous, then make it a marketing romp with the actual creators as secondary filler

Uzzy

It has improved in recent months though, which is a positive step. There's also a new patch coming after the Capcom Cup, so fingers crossed for some further improvements.

However, you're right, it should really be fixed by now.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Quite a shocking statement.

Ruruja

"And now our final award of the night, and the one you've all been waiting for. Yes, it's time to reveal the 2014 Doritos Game of the Year!"

Maniac

Banned
I agree it's better than the old standard store front page, but surely you agree their old Sales layout was better?

I'm with Durante, for the most part. I would prefer a mix of old & new; but then again, this wasn't a big sale, so we're likely going to see something for the winter sale, what with flash sales and community vote. I'm personally in the camp of "I'd like a hybrid", although I do sit closer to the "I like ze new" camp than "I like ze old" one. Or something like that.

... I really feel like most of what I just wrote will end up reading as nonsense. So best of luck. :p

edit: Broken Age 66% off? Couldn't DF like... Finish the game first? Their lack of regard for their Kickstarters is... Well, shitty, so kind of like DF.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
woot groupees mystery fantasy bundle redeemed, it has whisper of a rose!

edit: Broken Age 66% off? Couldn't DF like... Finish the game first? Their lack of regard for their Kickstarters is... Well, shitty, so kind of like DF.

If you backed it on KS, you were more than happy to pay full price for that experience.

It's a strange line of thinking that those who paid up front for the game - so as to help produce the game - would be upset that the game is on sale, given that the game wouldn't even exist if they didn't donate to it in the first place for them to get upset over it being on sale.

Maniac

Banned
If you backed it on KS, you were more than happy to pay full price for that experience.

It's a strange line of thinking that those who paid up front for the game - so as to help produce the game - would be upset that the game is on sale, given that the game wouldn't even exist if they didn't donate to it in the first place for them to get upset over it being on sale.
I didn't back it, but I wanted to. I just find it really shady that they've yet to actually give the full game to backers, but are now selling it for pocket change. That might just be me, ofcourse. If they'd done the same and put any kind of resources into Spacebase, it would've likely... Been a game with actual content.

Ruruja

From dooooooowntooooooown.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ruruja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sinister City -- MB-664F4ADB2EFA03F8
Ichi -- MB-BAD85240F1086BE8 - Taken by D3RANG3D
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-CFDB09CAB825886A

(Ballpoint Universe might be already used. Don't blame me, blame Indie Royale and their lack of telling you if a key's been redeemed.)

I didn't back it, but I wanted to. I just find it really shady that they've yet to actually give the full game to backers, but are now selling it for pocket change. That might just be me, ofcourse. If they'd done the same and put any kind of resources into Spacebase, it would've likely... Been a game with actual content.

Well, the thing with kickstarters is that you're making a donation to the development of a product or service that will possibly come to fruition thanks in part to your donation. Even if it reaches its goal, there's no guarantee that everything will come together as planned, or at all even.

If this is a premise that a person isn't comfortable with, then they shouldn't make a donation. It's really that simple. I haven't made a single donation to a KS, because like almost every single purchase i make i don't buy into the prerelease hype and wait till a game comes out before i decide to make a purchase or not. Even then, i'll hold off till a sale comes because, let's face it, if you've been on steam long enough then your backlog has plenty of gems waiting for you to get to them. So no rush.

In short, don't part with your money in regards to a KS if you're not comfortable with the end product being nonexistent or not meeting the goals set by the KS, because that's a real possibility regardless of who's behind the KS.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The_Super_Inframan, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 27 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Sonic Generations -- MB-9313DDDB7BC6FAD2 - Taken by Saty. 24 entrants total.
Deadly 30 -- MB-8723D36F5876D26B - Taken by darkchewie. 3 entrants total.
Larva Mortus -- MB-91D22C77407CE7E1 - Taken by Loptous. 3 entrants total.
Space Hack -- MB-EA26B74D5894BEC6 - Taken by HBP. 2 entrants total.
Sinister City -- MB-A66B5166C2045198 - Taken by Woody Invincible. 2 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
THE WITCHER 2 (GOG) -- MB-BE72D3EE41A0F9E3 - Taken by Jrdan. 3 entrants total.
Fester Mudd Curse of the Gold Episode 1 -- MB-2CA76F407E6B7E51 - Taken by lindarasta. 1 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
Torchlight (GOG) -- MB-1F2F0D93E8C7B268 - Taken by gar3. 1 entrants total.
C Rush -- MB-742D35D839D1D8B2 - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.

OMG Zombies! -- MB-F77C074534C9887F - Taken by Casimir. 4 entrants total.
House of 1,000 Doors Family Secrets -- MB-F852AE8A9641A14B
Viking Battle for Asgard -- MB-D6050EAB42A41DD6 - Taken by Htown. 6 entrants total.
Ionball 2 Ionstorm -- MB-0C3853AA973EE9AD - Taken by Conrad Link. 4 entrants total.
Hostile Waters Antaeus Rising -- MB-A840476B8788BBA8 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
Dawn of Fantasy Kingdom Wars -- MB-D099A36B1BDD9077
The Culling of the Cows -- MB-2C213F894DA8EAEA - Taken by Loptous. 3 entrants total.
Metal Planet -- MB-A922D9C70716AC8C - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Platypus -- MB-1595B182781F16C8 - Taken by rrvv. 6 entrants total.
SURGEON SIMULATOR -- MB-747584200CDFC26A - Taken by iosefe. 12 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-B143EF90F8261059 - Taken by Vazduh. 1 entrants total.
Steel & Steam -- MB-E25264BCC843ACED - Taken by Starwolf_UK. 3 entrants total.
Receiver -- MB-D75B76FDA36B1E9D
Hyper Fighters -- MB-420345D01B70028D - Taken by drakaenae. 1 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-B94B0991BD889A9D - Taken by Anustart. 1 entrants total.
Doorways Chapters 1 & 2 -- MB-1E782235A9038C5F
Chip -- MB-FAFEF94777C7C47D - Taken by DaBargainHunta. 3 entrants total.
Ichi -- MB-C1BF8F4437151C6C - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 4 entrants total.
Chaos Domain -- MB-F8903A1BC0F4818C - Taken by BorntoPlay. 1 entrants total.
Shadows Price For Our Sins -- MB-400EBBE4B1E53E9B - Taken by skullmuffins. 5 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Deadly 30 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Larva Mortus was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Space Hack was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Note: The key you added for THE WITCHER 2 (GOG) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Torchlight (GOG) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for C Rush was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for OMG Zombies! was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for House of 1,000 Doors Family Secrets was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Ionball 2 Ionstorm was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hostile Waters Antaeus Rising was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Dawn of Fantasy Kingdom Wars was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for The Culling of the Cows was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Platypus was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for SpaceChem was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Steel & Steam was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Receiver was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hyper Fighters was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Doorways Chapters 1 & 2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Chip was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Shadows Price For Our Sins was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1417810521z1.png

I'm so happy to see BasketBelle finally making its way to Steam. It was on Greenlight around when it originally started and it took a long time for it to get approved. The last I read, the developer said it wouldn't show up until some time next year. One of my favorite games from 2012.

Maniac

Banned
You say it like we actually have details. We only have 5 seconds of gameplay lol.

Calm down Snake :p

He's never calm. Also I liked your stream man, can't wait for your next one.
lol
-snippedy snip long post snip-
That's not really what I'm arguing, nor the point I'm trying to make. It's just a bit of a douche move marking it down by so much before you've even made good on the initial promise to your backers.

... Although I do entirely agree with you, really. It's how I've felt, and it's the reason I've backed a few games but skipped most I was interested in. For the consumers, KS is high-risk, low-reward.

Zeeman

It's Walt Disney's birthday
and mine
so I'm giving out presents! Just a few Humble Bundle codes I had lying around.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zeeman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin -- MB-5D6F744ABC33FE5A - Taken by Pranay_
F.E.A.R. -- MB-C6554E88A7739C58 - Taken by GUN-NAC
F.E.A.R. 3 -- MB-C2877A29F1904A8E - Taken by NightmareTrigger
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack -- MB-A3171A5810B54A56 - Taken by soapypanda

Just realised Captain Toad comes out today... in NA :(

Oh well got Kingdom Hearts 2.5 to keep the kid in me happy. Just hope I don't over disney it and got nuts on the Steam Disney deals.

Well if it was the 20% one it would be still better going VIP. The 25% off voucher would end up being 2 whole pence cheaper for FFIII or IV than the VIP deal if it worked for me. Of course I got PlayFire monies though so it's all gravy.
I know that feel bro :-( I'm still Smashing away so at least I got that going for me.

I was going to get the Collector's Edition of Kingdom Hearts but a disturbance in the force told me to wait for the PS4 version and first complete Xenoblade, FF I-X, XII and XIII, Tales of Xillia 1 and 2, Valkyria and Earthbound.

Croc

Banned
So after an update yesterday Steam completely broke for me. Happen to anyone else? I guess I'll just have to redownload/reinstall. I just get a fatal error now when clicking the icon.

Edit: if I uninstall Steam I won't lose all of my game files, right?

He's never calm. Also I liked your stream man, can't wait for your next one.
lol
That's not really what I'm arguing, nor the point I'm trying to make. It's just a bit of a douche move marking it down by so much before you've even made good on the initial promise to your backers.

... Although I do entirely agree with you, really. It's how I've felt, and it's the reason I've backed a few games but skipped most I was interested in. For the consumers, KS is high-risk, low-reward.

and i said i disagreed with the notion that it's a douche move when what one was doing is donating to the production of the game, and as part of that donation one was sent a key. No one is a victim here, nor is anyone being a douche. Besides that, one didn't just get a key, there were other things offered as part of a donation depending on what level one gave money at.

Again, those who donated knew what they were getting with that and, in this case, are still very much getting what was promised to them, albeit not in the fashion that they were told it would come in. You've taken a position that is irrational, and the hypothetical people who feel like they're being douched would be doing the same in this regard.

Terra_Ex

So after an update yesterday Steam completely broke for me. Happen to anyone else? I guess I'll just have to redownload/reinstall. I just get a fatal error now when clicking the icon.

Yeah, same thing happened to me last night. I just deleted the new Steam.exe and renamed the old one (it'll be called steam.exe.old or something) and it reupdated itself properly.

Lain

Oddly enough in the US III & IV are slightly more ($5.99) while VII and VIII are slightly less ($4.50). Might have to drop some credit on FF VIII at that price.

5.99$ = 4,8695228€
5,63€ = 6.925463$

This reminded me of this post on the NISA board where the poster didn't know that 69£ equals 107$:

I've got a question. I live in the US. The preorders on the Europe Online Store are:

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Limited Edition (£59.99)
Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited Limited Edition (£49.99)
Fairy Fencer F: Limited Edition with Beanie (£69.99)

The US prices for the same preorders are:

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Limited Edition ($59.99)
Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited Limited Edition ($49.99)
Fairy Fencer F: Limited Edition with Beanie ($74.99)

Is there a reason the Fairy Fencer F LE $5.00 more than the EU price? The others are the exact same except the Fairy Fencer F one. Should the price be $69.99 in the US Store? I don't see why that would be more for the US, all 3 of the other LE's have the same bonus items in them.

Thanks

Top Bottom