• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

hahahaha ... yeah, right :/
;_;
Maybe but I doubt it. Either way Valve will have to deal with the "So what?! I can't have friends in other countries and give them gifts?"
can i - europe - gift games to friends in usa or asia?
http://31.cdn.bit2host.eu/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/poker-regulation-2012.jpg
say it ain't so
The retroactive change, yes; ACRTAG being applied to the subs of newly-published apps by default, no.
yeah, i kinda settled with new games being a no-go now.
but the old games, that's what i'm interested in.

bigzgod

If I redeemed DOA5 and The Witcher 3 Im safe or what? Talk to me like Im a 5 year old boy.

Copies of games purchased in Russia prior to the lock are all safe. The change is not retroactive.

So, if you want cheap copies of games, you need to get them now from those who had them in their inventory prior to today.

bigzgod

can i - europe - gift games to friends in usa or asia?

Pretty much all the major regions other than US/Canada and Europe are all restricted to their own region. There might be exceptions here and there, like Japan, but for the most part that's it.

South America, Southeast Asia, Turkey, Russia, and CIS nations are all locked.

denx

Yes. The territories where ACRTAG applies have not changed.

^

Oh nice, so this shouldn't affect giveaways. Cool. :)

edit:

Pretty much all the major regions other than US/Canada and Europe are all restricted to their own region. There might be exceptions here and there, like Japan, but for the most part that's it.

Oh well there goes that...

Toki767

Welp. Won an auction. Dreaming Sarah for a sack of gems. Got my badge and now I can go back to never touching the auction again.

_hekk05

Banned
volvo says its not retroactive, so maybe if your friendly neighbourhood russian trader stocks up on gifts they may not be region locked.

anything new is definitely locked though

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Thanks for all replies!

Still Steam...
tumblr_n3y9psVNNY1tnnh8bo1_500.gif

alright thanks. i got a short brainpause. now i remember games between eu and usa not being locked.

bigzgod

volvo says its not retroactive, so maybe if your friendly neighbourhood russian trader stocks up on gifts they may not be region locked.

anything new is definitely locked though

Yup. Already panic bought 2 copies of DoA5, Lara Croft, and a couple of other games I was planning on doing giveaways for. Only way to get games cheap now.

Used a few spare TF2 keys to trade for Transistor. And with that trade I'm now not really sure what to look forward to getting from the Steam Sale. If you're on my friends list make sure your wishlist is up to date. :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh nice, so this shouldn't affect giveaways. Cool. :)

edit:

Oh well there goes that...

There goes what? To be perfectly clear, the way ACRTAG works has not changed. The only difference between today and yesterday is that the flag is now universal (but not retroactive) -- instead of only newly-released games bought in affected territories being region-locked, all new purchases are now region-locked.

life is so strange

just when bad news broke out, good things happened as well

i just won my first auctions!!!

rHlR41q.png

all of it for only 3,74€ when they go for 38€! cheapest ever being ca. 25€!

that's about 85-90% discounts which were highly unlikely to get even during sale.

i won't redeem them even though they're on my wishlist. maybe i'll gift them. once my other gifts deplete.

Today we have propped a change that will affect all packages on Steam which will not allow them to be unpacked to an account, if gifted or traded from a lower priced region to a higher priced region.

SO... does this mean since I am in a higher priced region
'murica, fuck yeah
that gifting games that I purchase to guys around the world won't be affected?

Merkunt

When did this:
Note: Starting in the next few days, items purchased for Team Fortress 2 either in-game or on the Steam Community Market will not be tradable or marketable for one week after purchase. We are making this change to combat fraud and scams, and to help maintain a safe and healthy item economy within Team Fortress 2.

happen?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Today we have propped a change that will affect all packages on Steam which will not allow them to be unpacked to an account, if gifted or traded from a lower priced region to a higher priced region.

SO... does this mean since I am in a higher priced region
'murica, fuck yeah
that gifting games that I purchase to guys around the world won't be affected?
There goes what? To be perfectly clear, the way ACRTAG works has not changed. The only difference between today and yesterday is that the flag is now universal (but not retroactive) -- instead of only newly-released games bought in affected territories being region-locked, all new purchases are now region-locked.

When did this:

happen?

Technically it hasn't happened yet.

zkylon

zkylewd
not seeing much of a difference in dark souls 1 with no gfwl. went human form and played without using bonfires until i died and saw only one summon sign in the whole undead burg and was never invaded even by twinkers. summoning the phantom ran ok

so yeah, not too promising :/

crazy drops tho:

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of MakeshiftChef, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MakeshiftChef, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Banished -- MB-EF4324ADF51571DF - Taken by Rhaknar. 19 entrants total.

t1418790687z1.png

Locust

Funny side effect of this change: All old retro locked stuff got unlocked (Valiant Hearts etc)

e: actually, all previously locked gifts got unlocked.

ain't gonna lie
i want to take a chance at banished
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (freshVeggie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

BOID -- MB-1BD0A9B38E742D13 - Taken by BernardoOne. 2 entrants total.

t1418788228z1.png

MUnited83

For you.
not seeing much of a difference in dark souls 1 with no gfwl. went human form and played without using bonfires until i died and saw only one summon sign in the whole undead burg and was never invaded even by twinkers. summoning the phantom ran ok

so yeah, not too promising :/

crazy drops tho:

Matchmaking is region locked at the momento. Should be fixed on the next few days I think.

so the dream is dead?

Bummer.

ModBot told me it was unclaimed. Key didn't say invalid, so enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for MMBosstones86:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MMBosstones86, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Teleglitch -- MB-7C720E9A64DC3393

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Teleglitch was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Top Bottom