• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy birthday to 90% of the internet!

Edit: On further inspection, I see this joke may have already made the rounds, in which case I'll wish you all a happy new year.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Happy New Year from Texas.

DV7Fxr1.jpg

BHK3

Banned
Alright so TF2 runs like complete garbage for me now, Zeno clash 2 at full screen is 25 fps and battleblock theater runs badly too, could this be a driver issue? ZC worked fine eariler in the year, I just got BBT and TF2 had that end of the line update so I don't know what to think. amd 7870 i5 4670 8gb.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Alright so TF2 runs like complete garbage for me now, Zeno clash 2 at full screen is 25 fps and battleblock theater runs badly too, could this be a driver issue? ZC worked fine eariler in the year, I just got BBT and TF2 had that end of the line update so I don't know what to think. amd 7870 i5 4670 8gb.

TF2 has always run like crap.

What is your criteria for adding games to your wishlist? So far for me I'll look at a couple of screenshots and a few seconds of video, if it looks cool it goes on the wishlist... but I'm starting to worry that I will regret this very quickly.

I'd like a way to seperate the games between the ones I really want and the ones that would be "nice to have" but likely wouldn't go out of my way to buy them.

Nabs

well having to turn everything to low now to even GRAZE 60fps is kinda really really crazy, I never had issues before and it ran fine before the recent update, then again I haven't played since the summer.

There's clearly something going on on your end. Those games shouldn't be running like that.

TF2 has always run like crap.

TF2 runs like crap?

What is your criteria for adding games to your wishlist? So far for me I'll look at a couple of screenshots and a few seconds of video, if it looks cool it goes on the wishlist... but I'm starting to worry that I will regret this very quickly.

I'd like a way to seperate the games between the ones I really want and the ones that would be "nice to have" but likely wouldn't go out of my way to buy them.

I just use it to keep track of stuff. I used to just add everything, but Steam started to go release crazy this last year.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Add everything. Buy nothing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Free clash of heroes for mah phone? Happy new year indeed, thank you based amazon

Does Lords of the Fallen run like shit for EVERYBODY or is it just me and my stupid 770 with 2gb of VRAM?

/whistle

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I used to go by:

Have I heard of it?
Cool concept?
Visually interesting/pleasing?
Can I afford it now?

Usually if it's something I'm already familiar with, I'd lump it on the pile. If I'd never heard of it, but it had a cool concept and/or pleasing visuals, lump on the pile. Of course, this is heavily reductionist compared to what all goes on when I see a game page for the first time. I used to add everything that I had minor interest in just to keep track of prices. Lately, I've gutted it from the inside out and only left mostly stuff I absolutely know I want with a piece here and there that I might forget otherwise.

iosefe

Is it a cool idea? Am I hyped? Do I just want to remember it? Am I hoping that Santa GAF will gift it to me? Trusted developer in my eyes?

Jame Retief

Neo Member
What is your criteria for adding games to your wishlist? So far for me I'll look at a couple of screenshots and a few seconds of video, if it looks cool it goes on the wishlist...

I've always added anything I find at least a little bit interesting...

but I'm starting to worry that I will regret this very quickly.

and the ones I really want, I remember. I won't need the wishlist for those (even though they are there too). :)

Coreda

What is your criteria for adding games to your wishlist?

Games I actually intend on playing only. Usually something that really looks solid and appeals to me.

For all games I'm interested in I'll save the video and any screenshots that stand out which makes it easier to track, and if on Greenlight I'll favorite it which is a nice feature as it's kept in a separate section. Otherwise just create a note file with brief descriptive tags, I do this for songs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I went through the explore queue 100%. If I see something and think "that looks like poop", I say "Not Interested". If I see something and think "I'm not interested", I just click next. If I see something and think "there's probably a reality where I'd want to buy that at some point", I wishlist it. Later, if something goes on 75%+ off sale and I still think "wow that's way too expensive, would not buy", I remove it from my wishlist... or else, I buy it.

And then periodically I try to keep the top 20-30 or so on my wishlist sorted, since that's my actual wishlist.

I generally add all games i think i would like to my wish list and separate between major wants and nice to haves by moving major wants to the top priority on my list. After 15 or so it is pretty random.

And then periodically I try to keep the top 20-30 or so on my wishlist sorted, since that's my actual wishlist.

I guess I should do that. And I need to get in the habit of using the Not Interested button, which I almost never do. The way I've been treating it is: If I'm interested it goes on my wishlist, otherwise I'm not interested by disassociation.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

I recently got TF2 running a lot better by doing this fix from the Steam forums.

The short version: Some games are constantly updating files and your virus scanner might be constantly scanning them in real time, dragging down your frames.

Benedict

I went through the explore queue 100%. If I see something and think "that looks like poop", I say "Not Interested". If I see something and think "I'm not interested", I just click next. If I see something and think "there's probably a reality where I'd want to buy that at some point", I wishlist it. Later, if something goes on 75%+ off sale and I still think "wow that's way too expensive, would not buy", I remove it from my wishlist... or else, I buy it.

I really wish there was an move to top option.

My biggest peeve on the Steam store so far... that almost every video tries to be cinematic, starting with quotes on a black screen, slow ass fade outs, logos, CG, story cutscenes... and maybe if you're lucky 2 seconds of gameplay. Fuck this shit.

I want at least a single 100% gameplay video for each game.

My biggest peeve on the Steam store so far... that almost every video tries to be cinematic, starting with quotes on a black screen, slow ass fade outs, logos, CG, story cutscenes... and maybe if you're lucky 2 seconds of gameplay. Fuck this shit.

Amen. I want something representative of the product, not marketing.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
happy mnew year steamgafffs 1!! you guys are awweome and youur genrrrrrrisity alwayysss astrooundss me so keep on being gooddd peoopllle and hgave a greatt night

Tizoc

arnold-schwarzenegger-as-conan-the-barbarian.jpg

Crom would not wish one to miss out on greatness.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 32 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header.jpg
header.jpg

t1cxE6r.gif
Toki Tori -- MB-3D7207896BAE4DC8 - Taken by JoduanER2. 1 entrants total.
Penguins Arena: Sedna's World -- MB-9DFBEDEE76948389 - Taken by Rawket Lawnchair. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition -- MB-3C6F2C592C470CEB - Taken by Berto. 77 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Ikaruga -- MB-600F901F0E52EE56 - Taken by Zantar. 46 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Skullgirls -- MB-73053A46CDA06CAD - Taken by Jay RaR. 6 entrants total.
Return to mysterious Island 2 -- MB-4F34552DB25F1FFC - Taken by drakaenae. 1 entrants total.
Wickland -- MB-C67C96D86023E89B - Taken by Naked Snake. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes -- MB-C9843720E37E08AF - Taken by Luap. 1 entrants total.

Salammbo: Battle for Carthage -- MB-679A7C1AAC824520 - Taken by Bayonetta. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
DuckTales Remastered -- MB-BD7E406370969ABC - Taken by MicroByter. 25 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Strider -- MB-53141174091FD599 - Taken by bkw. 26 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-C011F4FA05D0A341 - Taken by SapientWolf. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Metal Slug 3 -- MB-A55FEF7C7CE856D8 - Taken by Iron Badger. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Ghostbusters: The Videogame -- MB-78F8CFFDC2ADDC15 - Taken by JBourne. 7 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Volgarr the Viking -- MB-BF19F791744D532A - Taken by eyeless. 11 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Hatoful Boyfriend -- MB-A44E008CBD4D468E - Taken by Patison. 13 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Gunhound EX #2 -- MB-B409A5CB59303E6B - Taken by Oldschoolgamer. 7 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle -- MB-BF49702B40993202 - Taken by daydreaming. 6 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystera -- MB-7B5BB1FCAFE48DAD - Taken by The Shadow. 8 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Stick it to the man! -- MB-6DFCBCA27C499712 - Taken by Catshade. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
t1cxE6r.gif
t1cxE6r.gif
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death -- MB-80BF67E907382AF9 - Taken by woo and indeed hoo. 2 entrants total.
Amerzone: The Explorer's Legacy -- MB-65FB194DFDBE26E1 - Taken by topyy. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Gunhound EX #1 -- MB-16748A86BFCCB777 - Taken by The Reloader. 10 entrants total.
Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy -- MB-364AA1A743BE50D3 - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Valiant Hearts: The Great War -- MB-3A194D24241976EE - Taken by Xeteh. 29 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-CB987306A5B7F8B3 - Taken by TheLight. 27 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Talos Principle -- MB-A8CC6DF38E5AAE92 - Taken by Maxwood. 123 entrants total.
White Noise Online -- MB-9219C064A5DDD6F7 - Taken by InfiniteNine. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Metal Slug X -- MB-E8D6EEB883FC1E2C - Taken by OFFIS. 12 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Castle of Illusion -- MB-669381D96E9046F0 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 10 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Freedom Planet -- MB-23F620B6AE095915 - Taken by Tellaerin. 31 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Lost Planet 3 -- MB-4F4F107DB90B51DD - Taken by spindoctor. 38 entrants total.

t1420153061z1.png

Miguel81

I'd love to have some Blaster Master on Steam. The Wiiware version should be shared. Anyway, this track from the original is so beautiful. Hoping to finally finish it soon.

Coreda

Mmm, there should be a decent video of full gameplay. Chariot had one video that was purely gameplay - no extra music, titles, or anything. Impressed me.

Crom would not wish one to miss out on greatness.

Nice giveaway.

autoduelist

I add anything that looks interesting, but now I'm screwed with 106 or so games in my wishlist. Some of them were $1ish this sale and I still didn't pick them up because I'm a bit strapped this year.

I do try to keep the games I really want near the top -- as someone else said, my top 30 or so are fairly well sorted.

I really wish there was an move to top option.

Just type '1' in the position box and then hit save. Or 5, or whatever. You can do multiple games at once. So for example, you can go through your list and find your top 10 games or so and type in 1, they'll all sort to the top, then you can just organize them. Everything else just gets bumped down as you'd expect.

Or, if you know it's not top 10, just guesstimate '15' or whatever, and then after you've gone through your entire list guestimating about where stuff should be, you can go through again and fine tune.

Just type '1' in the position box and then hit save. Or 5, or whatever. You can do multiple games at once. So for example, you can go through your list and find your top 10 games or so and type in 1, they'll all sort to the top, then you can just organize them. Everything else just gets bumped down as you'd expect.

Or, if you know it's not top 10, just guesstimate '15' or whatever, and then after you've gone through your entire list guestimating about where stuff should be, you can go through again and fine tune.

So glad I read this post today.

BHK3

Banned
I recently got TF2 running a lot better by doing this fix from the Steam forums.

The short version: Some games are constantly updating files and your virus scanner might be constantly scanning them in real time, dragging down your frames.

what if I just add my whole steam folder as an exception for my anti virus?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I might start Vampire The Masquerade Bloodines after finishing Amnesia, who is the best character to start with?

It probably doesn't need to be said, but just in case: You're using the community patch, right?

I'd recommend one of the chatty, charming races for your first playthrough since the game is so delightfully dialog dependent. I think I went with Toreador for my first time.The typical advice is to leave the Malkavians and the Nosferatu for a later playthrough, since they alter and limit the gameplay significantly, what with being crazy and ugly respectively.

Edit:
what if I just add my whole steam folder as an exception for my anti virus?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That may or may not be a good idea. Maybe your AV will eventually start detecting Steam specific viruses and that'll be a bad idea? Maybe it'll help your performance even more? It'd certainly be simpler than testing it out on a per game basis. I'd say go for it, I guess, but that's a totally uneducated suggestion.

It probably doesn't need to be said, but just in case: You're using the community patch, right?

I'd recommend one of the chatty, charming races for your first playthrough since the game is so delightfully dialog dependent. I think I went with Toreador for my first time.The typical advice is to leave the Malkavians and the Nosferatu for a later playthrough, since they alter and limit the gameplay significantly, what with being crazy and ugly respectively.

No, where would I find the community patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom