• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED burn in test (Burn in after 750 hours)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
For some reason this doesn’t trigger my autism on a handheld like it does on a TV. My OG vita had burn in pretty quickly but it never bothered me. I sold it to a GAFer I wonder if that beast is still in use.

//DEVIL//

Oled can fuck off. I don't give a shit if its the best technology ( it's not. I am a strong believer in the new IPS tech ( was it nano or or mini micro led ? i forgot ) the one that is Sony using for their 2024 line up TVs.

I can NOT stand burn in. I HATE IT. I hate the idea I have a ticking screen that might get burn in on me. I hate the fact I have to be super careful and no static images. not even windows taskbar and i have to have it on auto minimize etc just to reduce risks.

OLED triggers my OCD is a very bad way. this is why not a single fuck is given to all the new oled monitors and TVs.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
2SQDMbP.jpg

When burn is going to start to be annoying on my deck…I will already be playing on the steam deck 2.0 😂

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Oled can fuck off. I don't give a shit if its the best technology ( it's not. I am a strong believer in the new IPS tech ( was it nano or micro led ? ) the one that is Sony using for their 2024 line up TVs.

I can NOT stand burn in. I HATE IT. I hate the idea I have a ticking screen that might get burn in on me. I hate the fact I have to be super careful and no static images. not even windows taskbar and i have to have it on auto minimize etc just to reduce risks.

OLED triggers my OCD is a very bad way. this is why not a single fuck is given to all the new oled monitors and TVs.

I hear you and not sure why these people don’t understand and move to a new technology that prevent this. Not everyone buys new TV’s 2-3 years in.

Also almost every tv service now burns their damn logo into the corner of a show etc which can appear to burn in easier.

Tsaki

Oled can fuck off. I don't give a shit if its the best technology ( it's not. I am a strong believer in the new IPS tech ( was it nano or micro led ? ) the one that is Sony using for their 2024 line up TVs.

Yeah. It can have the best tech on it, a decade of refinement but there will always be a small voice in the back of the head telling "Watch out now, those static elements you see there, they are lowering the life cycle of those pixels. Tick tock tick tock. You are on borrowed time, who knows what tomorrow brings"

xrnzaaas

I specifically didn't buy an OLED a few years ago, because I tend to leave my setup on pause or idle, sometimes even for a few hours. I would be stressed coming back x hours later to see if the burn in happened or not. And yeah, I know that there are more tricks and technology advances to limit that from happening in modern TV's, but I'd still have that thought in the back of my head.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
For some reason this doesn’t trigger my autism on a handheld like it does on a TV. My OG vita had burn in pretty quickly but it never bothered me. I sold it to a GAFer I wonder if that beast is still in use.
I think part of it is because a TV is just a display. You buy it with the goal of getting the best picture for the price and size - and so any diminishment of the picture quality diminishes its entire purpose. For a portable the display is only part of the package so flaws in the display just don't hit as hard.

//DEVIL//

FYI I have an LG OLED E8 model from around 2018 that I use nearly every day for 5+ hours after work and longer on the weekends and I still have no burn in.

Why? Because the TV has built in features such as pixel shifting and auto dimming when I leave it on and walk way for longer than 5 minutes or so.
any technology that is built to reduce of bad technology fucking up on you is still a bad technology.

I will never say to my self I need a TV that will last me 5 years worry free, then I must buy an OLED.

Lots of things in my life to worry about. Not adding a stupid TV / monitor burn in to them.

playtillyadrop

Neo Member
He should probably change the name of the title. He states in the Vidoe its not Burn In but image retention. I'm just wondering if the SD has anything like a pixel refresher for image retention to reduce it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm only going to have to assume that most people don't even understand how this works but if it took 750 hours, this test means absolute shit to 100% of the regular consumer. It's hyperbole or if it makes anybody think badly of oleds, trust me, it does absolutely shit for the perception that olives are bad at this. If anything the screen on the steam deck is one of the best handheld screens you can find. It should be of no concern even if you have the damn device for 5 years unless you leave it in static places for hours at a time very consistently over the course of a week. Most standard everyday use doesn't even impact. This is coming from several OLED handheld devices and two giant older TVs that I've had for multiple years. I don't even use the pixel refresher.

any technology that is built to reduce of bad technology fucking up on you is still a bad technology.

I will never say to my self I need a TV that will last me 5 years worry free, then I must buy an OLED.

Lots of things in my life to worry about. Not adding a stupid TV / monitor burn in to them.
I've never had a problem. There are multiple sources out there that show you it's not a problem anymore. Burn in was a concern with early OLED tech. It's nearly null and void now outside of rare cases.

It's the best TV tech out there and I'll personally never go back.

unlurkified

Idk man. I had my eye on OLED since 2013 (got the Vita in 2013) and finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago on a Sony A95K (2022) and it blew my mind into the stratosphere. I was happy with a top of the line FALD LED for years but I can never go back now. It really is that much better in every way if picture quality is your thing.

My take is to not worry about it too much but just enjoy it and if it craps out in three years, oh well, get it fixed or get a new one. I’m only getting older and now’s the time to give my eyes diabetes.

welshrat

Its the sole reason I have not changed my TV from LCD, currently have Sony's last year Mini LED tech (very good) and it seems they are now ditching OLED (prehaps for this very reason). I am pretty happy about this as I have always bought Sony TVs and glad to see they are putting good investment into this tech. not Great on the Deck though however I am guessing that is pretty rough usage and i image replacement screens for it wont be too much.

Klosshufvud

The Vita's OLED was brilliant simply because all other handheld alternatives prior to it looked extremely bad and games were so low res, they really needed that color boost to offset it. But IMO recent improvements with superior resolution, color coverage, VRR and so on has lessened the need for OLED in handhelds. Fact is that the display in Ally is not objectively inferior to SDOLED's and will not have burn-in issues ever. On PC devices, where you can't say when you'll run into static elements that may be present for many hours, I prefer a good IPS display still. Seems like super high brightness and OLED does not play well together.

Puscifer

We need more screens with ATW polarizers, I can't say I miss OLED after getting my LG 32GP950 on Black Friday. Such inky blacks for an IPS

Jayjayhd34

.lg cx here and have certainly do not do anything special to prevent screen burn I spend abou 12 hours day on doing my work my gaming browsing and waching TV moviss have done for last three years that's potentially 12000 hours of varied usage I'm going ride this to the end wether thats 2more years 5 maybe even 10.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Oled can fuck off. I don't give a shit if its the best technology ( it's not. I am a strong believer in the new IPS tech ( was it nano or or mini micro led ? i forgot ) the one that is Sony using for their 2024 line up TVs.

I honestly would prefer a good mini led monitor instead.

Bojji

.lg cx here and have certainly do not do anything special to prevent screen burn I spend abou 12 hours day on doing my work my gaming browsing and waching TV moviss have done for last three years that's potentially 12000 hours of varied usage I'm going ride this to the end wether thats 2more years 5 maybe even 10.

I think since around C9 LG tvs are quite reliable.

Gamezone

Gold Member

LG screen doesn't have much burn in compared to other manufacturers. I don't know why that is. I also don't know who produces the Steam Deck OLED displays, but if they suffer from early burn in, my bet would be Samsung.

Bry0

LG screen doesn't have much burn in compared to other manufacturers. I don't know why that is. I also don't know who produces the Steam Deck OLED displays, but if they suffer from early burn in, my bet would be Samsung.
It’s Samsung on the non special edition model. Yup

MacReady13

My main reason for staying the fuck away from OLED- burn in. Cannot stand I have to be careful watching my tv! Don’t game with static images for too long?! Get stuffed! I play for hours on my Sony LED. Looks great and I have zero issues worrying about burn in or any issues with that tv.

Topher

Gold Member
Well......as he says in the video, he designed this to do exactly what it doing: burn an image on to the screen. He also says people shouldn't overreact to this because of this fact.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I miss PLASMA TV's!!! Wish we could have perfected that technology it was like Zero latency and No burn ins.
Are you remembering things correctly? Image retention and double the power consumption were huge drawbacks compared to LED. High production cost was the nail in the coffin. OLED is an upgrade in almost every way unless you also used your plasma display as a heat source.

I'm buying a new TV soon and it won't be OLED because my TV functions as a PC monitor.
Probably Samsung neo qled.

In a decade we will all have micro led TVs and OLED will go the way of plasma.

CuNi

Haven't yet watched the video further than 5s, but I just have to say, damn. I love his Thumbnail to Intro idea...

Demigod Mac

As long as you don't leave an OLED paused on an extremely bright (especially HDR) image for an extended length of time and let it run its pixel cleaning routines, you should be fine. Remember a test like this is beyond extreme and most people should never have to worry about burn-in.
I've had an LG CX with three years of heavy usage, auto-dimming is disabled in the service menu but I'm careful to not leave it on a bright still image for long, and recently ran some test color patterns.
Result: zero burn-in, still looks pristine.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Well......as he says in the video, he designed this to do exactly what it doing: burn an image on to the screen. He also says people shouldn't overreact to this because of this fact.
The only people I'd think would be in danger are those who only play 1 game for hundreds of hours in long sessions, or if you disable the screen dim and sleep functions and leave the Deck in the menu downloading or charging all the time. It's a good test Phawx did that shows you'd have to make a dedicated attempt to get burn-in/image retention.

We had a plasma tv back in the day and I ended causing burn-in. I can't remember what game. I think it was Gears 2 with the weapon/ammo hud element after I played like 6hrs/day for a couple weeks.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Bry0

So image retention is normal, even for LCDs isn't it? What am I missing here.
Oled Sub pixels burn out. The elements showing retention won’t go away because those sub pixels will never be as bright as the ones around it anymore.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Oled Sub pixels burn out. The elements showing retention won’t go away because those sub pixels will never be as bright as the ones around it anymore.

Perhaps, but using it for regular content would mask the burnout as the burned pixels will no long all be an even pattern, which really could never happen outside of a test in the first place IMO. This is all just fear mongering imo.

Plus the screen made to be user replaceable on the OLED Deck, so real worst case scenario you can just drop a new screen in 10 years down the road. But you'll just be on a Deck 2 (or 3) by then anyway.

bender

What time is it?
FYI I have an LG OLED E8 model from around 2018 that I use nearly every day for 5+ hours after work and longer on the weekends and I still have no burn in.

Why? Because the TV has built in features such as pixel shifting and auto dimming when I leave it on and walk way for longer than 5 minutes or so.

Wish those features were in my E7. Rocket League fucked my panel in less than 2 years. My C1 has been fine so far.

Bry0

Perhaps, but using it for regular content would mask the burnout as the burned pixels will no long all be an even pattern, which really could never happen outside of a test in the first place IMO. This is all just fear mongering imo.

Plus the screen made to be user replaceable on the OLED Deck, so real worst case scenario you can just drop a new screen in 10 years down the road. But you'll just be on a Deck 2 (or 3) by then anyway.
Yeah I agree. The video is an unrealistic worst case scenario. Realistically you wouldn’t get burn in like this in 750 hours of normal use.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Valve just need to implement some basic screen care software, average users shouldn't get much burn in at all over years of using the SD.

I think the standard store UI should slowly shift the colour spectrum instead of staying static colours, just be slow enough not to be annoying, since the standard UI is going to be the most likely cause of user burn in because they can't turn off the screen when downloading.

Overall this is not a bad result as he is testing as a worst case scenario, way way worse then you could do when using the device normally.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

2 years into my LG C1 using it as PC monitor , zero burn in and still looks like day 1 . Besides that , I have a an S10+ for 3 years and there is zero burn-in too . I'm keen to believe that if the average usage for OLED is around 200-300 nits , it wouldn't happen .

At this point I could never use VA/IPS anymore , so if there is burn-in , I would buy another OLED

That said , OLED for life :messenger_winking: ... until Micro LED gets to mainstream .

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Sure. But it still reminds us that pixel wear is part and parcel of OLED emissive technology. Its going to happen, because the pixels will wear. The question has always been when will they wear unevenly to a point that its noticeable. Most of the TV's now you'd hope its many years. But its still a reminder that having static things like HUD's are always going to be a concern if its one game you play all the time.

WitchHunter

Banned
This isn't normal use, but this user did a burn in test, and it's very noticeable after 750+ hours. This could happen earlier, as I believe he didn't check until the 750 hour mark.

So easy. If it burns in then it is an inferior tech not meant to be sold to end users. If it doesn't burn in under certain conditions, then don't let the end user outside those thresholds. End of story. Don't buy shitty tech that will annoy you with whatever burned in the lower right corner. Never allow any fucking device to restrict your experience in any way. Fucking companies selling their half assed shit (like the foldable phones and this shitstain OLED tech) and telling people to stand on one foot while praying to the almighty to avoid issues. If it has burn in problem, at least offer replacement parts, so you don't need to replace the whole shit.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

So does my AW3423DW and G8. Both have burn in.

My C8 too.
I remember when everyone was telling me that the C8 would never burn in due to the advances made with the pixels. Improving longevity. And all I thought was. How do you know, its too soon to tell. That said. I think the more they push the panels to provide better luminance with the likes of MLA and with some variations including massive heatsinks. I do think we may get to the point where the longevity is really, really good. My main issue after owning many OLED's is actually more getting one of the larger 83" sizes without any screen uniformity issues...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The best thing is to not give these people too much attention and support more unique and less click bait content.

It's hard being a creator. It should be. Just like any job that will pay you for NOT going after just the lowest hanging fruit

Wish those features were in my E7. Rocket League fucked my panel in less than 2 years. My C1 has been fine so far.
Yea that really sucks man. As far as I know from my model series forward there are literally zero issues unless you manage to get a lemon which would suck.

Top Bottom