• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED burn in test (Burn in after 750 hours)

keefged4

Had my C1 for 3 years now, heavy, heavy usage and there is no burn in or image retention whatsoever. It's as bright and magnificent as the day I first got it. As this video demonstrates, you'd need a static image on screen constantly for a few hundred hours for retention/burn in to occur, but being honest, in what scenario is this realistic? All these OLED fear mongerers are something else haha.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Had my C1 for 3 years now, heavy, heavy usage and there is no burn in or image retention whatsoever. It's as bright and magnificent as the day I first got it. As this video demonstrates, you'd need a static image on screen constantly for a few hundred hours for retention/burn in to occur, but being honest, in what scenario is this realistic? All these OLED fear mongerers are something else haha.

Burn in on my AW3423DW and G8 are from games with static elements on the screen. It's not uncommon to play one particular game for a long amount of time.

keefged4

Burn in on my AW3423DW and G8 are from games with static elements on the screen. It's not uncommon to play one particular game for a long amount of time.
Do those displays have automated pixel refreshers that activate when turned off like the LG ones do though? If I left mine on constantly for weeks without turning it off, then sure I'd no doubt get burn in. And I play the same games for hours and hours on end.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Do those displays have automated pixel refreshers that activate when turned off like the LG ones do though? If I left mine on constantly for weeks without turning it off, then sure I'd no doubt get burn in. And I play the same games for hours and hours on end.

Pixel refresh every third hour. Panel refresh after hundreds of hours. Pixel shift, and dimming static images.

keefged4

Pixel refresh every third hour. Panel refresh after hundreds of hours. Pixel shift, and dimming static images.
That sucks, sorry to hear like. The OLED deck doesn't have any kind of oled care option either so it may be a bigger issue than on a monitor/tv.

Bojji

You have QD-OLED higher potential of burn in + monitor manufacturers not giving a fuck = disaster.

LG tvs are ahead of everything else when it comes to burn in protection. RTINGS tests showed that QD-OLED monitors are the worst.

Yeah. It can have the best tech on it, a decade of refinement but there will always be a small voice in the back of the head telling "Watch out now, those static elements you see there, they are lowering the life cycle of those pixels. Tick tock tick tock. You are on borrowed time, who knows what tomorrow brings"
Tomorrow brings a new TV. I use my two Oleds almost exclusively for gaming, I have disabled every anti burn in setting even in the maintenance menu and enjoy the shit out of them. No burn in to be seen. If they do burn in, fuck it. I rather enjoy the best and MAYBE get burn in than having to put up with blooming and local dimming issues from the moment i turn a TV on. I get to enjoy that mess on the living room tv and that's a Sony XE93, which has one of the best lcd images still.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My last iPhone had burn in of one of the apps on my main screen. That’s my only experience with burn in. I hated it.

King Dazzar

Give it time. Report back in a few more years. 😁

Joking aside, the C1 should be further resilient due to them moving across to the improved evo panel. I had an 83", but unfortunately had to return it due to abysmal QC and a major screen uniformity issue.

Cacadookie

Neo Member
I own a LG CX 48" since 2021 and I've yet to see burn in and I use it as a desktop monitor. The mitigations in place are great and things like LG companion app make it so the screen turns off every 5 minutes left idle.

Kupfer

Oled can fuck off. I don't give a shit if its the best technology ( it's not. I am a strong believer in the new IPS tech ( was it nano or or mini micro led ? i forgot ) the one that is Sony using for their 2024 line up TVs.

I can NOT stand burn in. I HATE IT. I hate the idea I have a ticking screen that might get burn in on me. I hate the fact I have to be super careful and no static images. not even windows taskbar and i have to have it on auto minimize etc just to reduce risks.

OLED triggers my OCD is a very bad way. this is why not a single fuck is given to all the new oled monitors and TVs.
Maybe make your own experiences with the material instead of getting hung up on worst-case scenarios.

I have been using OLED displays since 2012 and have had no problems with my Samsung Galaxy SIII, both OLED Vitas, my now almost 6-year-old Oneplus 6 and my LG OLED CX. no dead pixels, no burn-in. LCDs, on the other hand, which I have used alongside during this time, have developed dead pixels on 3 devices.
I still use LCDs in special cases, but for TVs and cell phones only OLED is an option for me.

CGNoire

84033736.jpg

Nyeh heh heh!
This warrants a prison sentence.

I am pretty sure that the Steam Deck OLED, like the Switch OLED, does not come with the pixel shifting and logo dimming features that you typically find on OLED TVs so they absolutely would be more prone to burn in. My Steam Deck OLED does dim the screen after a specified amount of time but what irks me is that the handheld still cannot download games in standby mode and instead needs to be left on while the game downloads.

I mean you could play a game while you're waiting but the hardware isn't really suited to background downloads and it would likely affect the performance in the game you're playing. Every time I turn my Steam Deck on, Steam has to down 70+ updates, mostly shader pre-cache files, for the games I have installed on the 1 TB SSD and the 1 TB microSD card and with game updates too, I can often be waiting 30 minutes or more before I can play the game. Although the screen dims, it does not go off completely - it just gradually gets darker and darker - so it does worry me that the interface text and layout may eventually burn in to the screen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom