• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Completely new to Steam Deck here and waiting for my OLED model to come later this week but does the Steam Deck still need to be on in order to download games or can it download in standby mode like the Switch now?

I only ask because with this being an OLED screen, the last thing anyone wants is to have to leave the Steam Deck on to download games with the screen still on. I understand that the screen will dim after a period of non-use but the screen would still be on. It also isn't ideal to be downloading games while you are using the Deck and playing games on it (I don't even do this on my PC).

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
How does GRID Legends run on the Steam Deck, and does it support HDR? Anyone know? Been hooked on this game on my PC over the weekend and was thinking that this would be a perfect first game to play on my Steam Deck OLED when it arrives later on this week.

Protondb has it listed at gold. Top comment mentions medium settings and 40hz display cap to get the best performance.

It also isn't ideal to be downloading games while you are using the Deck and playing games on it (I don't even do this on my PC).

I do this all the time without issue on my desktops and my deck. I usually turn the device on, have the game I want to play updated and then let the rest d/l in the bg while I play. I have yet to notice any performance impact.

Diablo 4 has a hefty 40% discount. I can't decide if I want to get it or Grim Dawn instead. No doubt Grim Dawn has way more content but from the looks of it, the UI doesn't have controllers in mind even if it does support it while Diablo 3 on consoles arguably played better on a controller than a keyboard and mouse did on PC.

Griffon

Ever since the 3.5 updates, my Deck completely shits the bed.
Main menu runs at 10fps, and once in game, everytime I try to pull a steam menu it freaks out.

Edit: fixed it by doing a factory reset, it's a pain in the ass but it works now.

Last edited:

Assaulty

I've been dabbeling in using Moonlight and Sunshine (game streaming from desktop) and I am actually blown away at how well this works. I am pretty sensitive to input lag, but tested the program with Battlefield 2042 and remnant 2:

1: amazed at how it looks, especially compared to steam link. I couldn't tell that its not native outside of the fact that the steam deck wouldn't be able to handle the graphics it was outputting.

2: unnoticable input lag. It runs so well that it instantly cancelled all desire I had to get an Ally (its heavily discounted here atm)

Mind you, I have fibre and a powerful pc so I am using the program in near perfect conditions.

The steam deck Oled will be absolutely insane with this service. 90fps on that amazing screen? Seems like a no brainer.

JCK75

Sadly I've found it does not download in standby mode, but you can work around this by going to desktop mode, launching steam and letting it download there.

bender

What time is it?
Hey Deckheads,

It's that time again. I can't pick a 3rd game for a bundle so if you pick on game that is not Andro Dunos II or Killbug from the bundle below, it will be my gift to your sorry human self.

Diablo 4 has a hefty 40% discount. I can't decide if I want to get it or Grim Dawn instead. No doubt Grim Dawn has way more content but from the looks of it, the UI doesn't have controllers in mind even if it does support it while Diablo 3 on consoles arguably played better on a controller than a keyboard and mouse did on PC.

I completed Diablo 4 playing on Deck and PS5. It is well suited to the Deck, because it controls well and I would say is well optimised. I found it a bit repetitive having never played a Diablo game before, and it did seem to be based on levelling for months and months and subscribing for stuff (reminded me a lot of WoW). If you love wow then obviously you would have no issue with that, albeit the environments are more samey and quite joyless/bleak.

Last edited:

Kupfer

5VbWCHp.jpg

Z7VEcuh.jpg

I really hope they're working on a Steam Deck 2. It could have the potential to make my desktop PC obsolete.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
5VbWCHp.jpg

Z7VEcuh.jpg

I really hope they're working on a Steam Deck 2. It could have the potential to make my desktop PC obsolete.
When it happens it will have to be in a couple of years with the 9000 series of APUs or above because the 6000 and 7000 don't offer that much of an improvement and we just received information that the 8000 coming next year are barely different from the 7000 series.

So unless they aim for a custom APU I would say the next Steam Deck is 2-3 years away.

Last edited:

Kupfer

When it happens it will have to be in a couple of years with the 9000 series of APUs or above because the 6000 and 7000 don't offer that much of an improvement and we just received information that the 8000 coming next year are barely different from the 7000 series.

So unless they aim for a custom APU I would say the next Steam Deck is 2-3 years away.
What's it compared to a GTX1070ti ?
Because that's what I have right now and with hardware prices like today I probably have to stick with it a few years.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
What's it compared to a GTX1070ti ?
Because that's what I have right now and with hardware prices like today I probably have to stick with it a few years.
Well we are almost at that point maybe by the 10000 series we will get there? IIRC the current best one is the AMD Ryzen 7840U which has comparable performance to a GTX 1060 at 28W TDP and like I said before the upcoming 8000 series isn't much of an upgrade.

But that's the crux of the issue you have to push these modern APUs above the 20W TDP to get some really good performance gains but that's going to kill your battery really fast.

This is why I said Valve is likely to wait for the 9000 series in 2025 or the 10000 series in 2026 because they are looking for a decent performance boost at 15W TDP.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Steam Deck is a great device but I decided to sell mine. I didn't use it this year nearly as much as I thought I would, and it's way too big to take while traveling or whatever IMO.

Maybe I will revisit if circumstances change, and the OLED is a really nice upgrade, but whatever they do for the Deck 2 I hope they focus on size.

Kenpachii

Steam Deck is a great device but I decided to sell mine. I didn't use it this year nearly as much as I thought I would, and it's way too big to take while traveling or whatever IMO.

Maybe I will revisit if circumstances change, and the OLED is a really nice upgrade, but whatever they do for the Deck 2 I hope they focus on size.

They should just keep steam deck hardware alive by revamping it to a smaller device when the steam deck 2 comes out. Focus on performance is a big thing when it comes to running PC games so i hope they don't focus on small size with there next edition.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Can't believe it took me so long to buy GTA IV. This might just be the best experience I've had on the Deck. Great to jump back into the game too, forgot just how good it is.
Imo the best GTA hands down. The driving, city, physics, storytelling is unmatched and I don’t think it will ever be. Just sold my og Deck and waiting on the Oled to experience this game yet again. 🫶

Kenpachii

Which is good, if people know a deck will get supported for 4-5 years its a easier investment then constantly refreshes.

Which is good, if people know a deck will get supported for 4-5 years its a easier investment then constantly refreshes.
I'm already wary with how quickly they released the OLED. It didn't burn me much since I got the cheapest LCD but people that bought a 512 GB one should be rightfully pissed at how fast Valve made their purchase obsolete.

Fredrik

How do I get mods into games?
Google says mod organizer 2 is the thing to use for the Deck as Vortex links don’t work but I have no idea how to install from github
I just want the Steam Deck performance fix mod for Starfield on nexus

Kenpachii

I'm already wary with how quickly they released the OLED. It didn't burn me much since I got the cheapest LCD but people that bought a 512 GB one should be rightfully pissed at how fast Valve made their purchase obsolete.

512gb was never worth it really. the only one that was worth it was the 64gb model and upgrade to 1/2tb internal and u would be cheaper anyway. 256gb model is way to less to even be a option.

I don't mind the oled refresh, the real issue i have with the oled is that its a half arsed upgrade. The biggest problem the screen has is no support for VRR and that sucks big time. U now have to hard lock every frame towards minimal dips to get smooth performance. The 90 hz screen in my view isn't much useful as no game i play even comes close to that as the performance is just not enough for the deck to make much use out of it.

I rather had them release a deck 2.0, with 2x performance, 120hz oled panel 8 inch with vrr on it and release only a 1tb and 2tb model for the absolute premium deck experience. But as others already mentioned that's not possible really. And the more performance could segment the market for dev support.

So this was probably for the best.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Imo the best GTA hands down. The driving, city, physics, storytelling is unmatched and I don’t think it will ever be. Just sold my og Deck and waiting on the Oled to experience this game yet again. 🫶
I had to buy it today, on a good sale, and we’ll need to do research… ahem… ;).

Power Pro

Greetings fellow Steam Deck owners. I've joined you.

I've had a steam account since Half Life 2, and while I've played the occasional game on my PC, I always feel too restricted by PC gaming. Since I've loved my Nintendo Switch so much for it's portability, I decided to finally take a chance on one of these bad boys. The price has gotten to a point that it's hard to resist.

I got a 64gb model, but I upgraded it to a 512gb ssd right away. Already I'm just really in love with the hardware. It feels so good in my hands. I already am just seeing the possibilities open so much. I'm already falling into this trap where I'm really tempted to get games on Steam that I already own on PS5, or XSX, like Elden Ring, or RE4make.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I tried searching online for OLED steam deck ssd benchmark results and couldn't find anything, so I just went and ran kdiskmark on my 1TB OLED, I just took a dirty phone pic:
bphACcD.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I would look up if the game even works on the Steam Deck anymore first now that Capcom is going around adding Enigma DRM to their games.

Ace Attorney would be more tempting if all this BS about Capcom screwing customers with new DRM wasn't going around...really regretting getting some of their games on PC because of that nonsense.
Yeah shame. I was debating on trying out MonHun World on my deck this weekend

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Really starting to get the hang of the gaming pads for mouse emulation plus gyro. It’s a great combo for fps games. Having a great time fighting Strogg in Quake 4.

Kupfer

Really starting to get the hang of the gaming pads for mouse emulation plus gyro. It’s a great combo for fps games. Having a great time fighting Strogg in Quake 4.
Did it work out if the box for you?
I had to mod it to get it to run with good textures, took me some time to figure it out.
Out of the box it was on the lowest settings possible and changes in the settings didn't make a difference.
But yeah, you're right, it's a fun game for the deck.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Did it work out if the box for you?
I had to mod it to get it to run with good textures, took me some time to figure it out.
Out of the box it was on the lowest settings possible and changes in the settings didn't make a difference.
But yeah, you're right, it's a fun game for the deck.
I had to do some config changes for it to look decent. I’ve not tried any texture pack addition.
➕ I used this guide

Last edited:

Kupfer

Really tempted to sell my PS5 (that I never play) and buy a SD OLED.

90 Day Fiance Kenny GIF by TLC
Do it. Worst case would be not playing the Deck as well.
Any other scenario would mean playing more than you do now.
The PS5 is great, but if you don't like playing with it, it's of no use.

Cyberpunkd

Do it. Worst case would be not playing the Deck as well.
Any other scenario would mean playing more than you do now.
The PS5 is great, but if you don't like playing with it, it's of no use.
I also have Nintendo Switch, and I can see how the portable aspect means it's getting played way, way more.

Xion_Stellar

Really tempted to sell my PS5 (that I never play) and buy a SD OLED.

90 Day Fiance Kenny GIF by TLC
The funny thing is that's actually what I did! I sold my PS5 to my nephew to get the Steam Deck at launch and then a year later I sold that launch Steam Deck to my nephew too so now I'm sitting here wondering if I should buy the OLED Steam Deck or wait of the PS5 Pro

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Has anyone got FF14 up and running on the deck? I can log into my character on the game, but I'm currently having an issue where it's not going into gamepad mode even after I set it to change to gamepad, I looked at all the online guides and it doesn't switch into gamepad mode at all, I have to hold down L2+R2 and use the right track pad just to walk around, completely unplayable as it is.

It seems like it just isn't registering the deck controls as a controller.

Has anyone got FF14 up and running on the deck? I can log into my character on the game, but I'm currently having an issue where it's not going into gamepad mode even after I set it to change to gamepad, I looked at all the online guides and it doesn't switch into gamepad mode at all, I have to hold down L2+R2 and use the right track pad just to walk around, completely unplayable as it is.

It seems like it just isn't registering the deck controls as a controller.

Which guide did you look at?

https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck

Kacho

Got my Steam Deck OLED on Wednesday and I am legitimately blown away by how awesome this is. Playing Titanfall 2 currently and the performance + visuals is truly something to behold. Can’t wait to give more games a try on this thing.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Finally got around to setting up Windows on an SD card for a dual boot situation. Took a minute to figure out how to get GamePass games to recognize the controller, but now that it's setup right it's smooth sailing. I didn't want to spend $70 on Persona 3 Reload to play it on Deck when I have it on GamePass, problem solved. Cloud saves work perfectly, only slight problem is I'll need to adjust the graphic settings each time I go from Deck to Desktop or vice versa...at first I didn't realize ray tracing was enabled on the Deck because I have it enabled on my computer, I was getting like 15FPS at the mall :D

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Gamers nexus just dropped their OLED review.

Good tests. Ally is indeed in that weird spot where it has a system chip capable of great performance but its 40Wh battery does not allow that potential to be unleashed in handheld form. At 18W, you would see the 780m GPU blow past SD with ease. Maybe in a revision they can put in a 55Wh+ battery. It also makes me convinced that any eventual SD2 will need a larger battery and higher power ceiling aswell. These new chips simply are more demanding despite the gains made with node efficiency.

Cyberpunkd

Good tests. Ally is indeed in that weird spot where it has a system chip capable of great performance but its 40Wh battery does not allow that potential to be unleashed in handheld form. At 18W, you would see the 780m GPU blow past SD with ease. Maybe in a revision they can put in a 55Wh+ battery. It also makes me convinced that any eventual SD2 will need a larger battery and higher power ceiling aswell. These new chips simply are more demanding despite the gains made with node efficiency.
Isn’t Ally designed with being plugged in? It unlocks the 30W mode, it’s obvious it was supposed to be used mostly this way.
However as with everything that means more heat, more fans and (if unplugged) short battery life.

Top Bottom