• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Zephir

I'm weak....but happy!

GflgR1D.jpg

Also....just did the logical thing: Game Pass!

li2SMzr.jpg

Last edited:

TaroYamada

TaroYamada TaroYamada - how did Metal Gear Rising work for you on the Deck?

I bought it ages ago and I always hear people praise it but it's just one of those games I never get around to playing.

I had heard it's a fussy game on PC so I'm curious how your experience was with it.

Worked flawlessly for me.
Yup, plays flawlessly. Had 0 issues. But it doesn't really support 16:10 if memory serves, so there's small black bars on it. Didn't really impact my enjoyment.

SCB3

Finally got all my Emulation stuff set up and no idea what to play......

Nah just kidding, set all up for Zelda and Mario fun, I actually sat and played through Sonic Adance on a whim this morning, great game on here

I downloaded the Fallout Series and started up 4 on Survival, fuck me this looks incredible on Deck, a smooth 6-fps for the first few hours or so as well, its making me want to 100% the game this time, I never did do most of the Companion stuff

Zephir

Installed a couple of random games and it's amazing so far!

Makes me wanna burn through all my backlog made of gifts and humble bundles.

For now just installed all the Final Fantasy, all the Sonic, Persona, Vampire Survivor and Ryse, but more will definitely come

Zephir

Are you running Windows? If not, how are you playing Game Pass games on Steam OS?

You can stream from the edge browser, Microsoft put up a guide to do it here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...eam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

Exactly this and it works perfectly! With that guide, you'll never realize you're opening a browser page and games works and control great!

Tried only Hi-Fi rush and Doom and I had zero issues, aside from some artifacts in HiFi, but lag was non existent

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This device is so great. Talking to devs on the forums while taking a dump, now I am finishing up Resident Evil 2, considering my next game from the sale - and all on Linux. No way in hell would 2008 me predict I'd be gaming on a handheld Linux device in 2022-2023.

SCB3

This device is so great. Talking to devs on the forums while taking a dump, now I am finishing up Resident Evil 2, considering my next game from the sale - and all on Linux. No way in hell would 2008 me predict I'd be gaming on a handheld Linux device in 2022-2023.
For me its the Emulation, I was playing New Super Mario Bros. 2 whilst getting my Daughter to sleep and its been amazing for that alone (it can take her well over an hour some nights to fall asleep)

I have all my games now Dumped on there and they play much better mostly

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You know what? Horizon Zero Dawn purchased a second time. Why not? Gonna beat this gorgeous game a second time on Steam Deck

Edit: Forspoken is 33% off. Worth it?

Edit 2: wow this game is great on Deck

Last edited:

SCB3

You know what? Horizon Zero Dawn purchased a second time. Why not? Gonna beat this gorgeous game a second time on Steam Deck

Edit: Forspoken is 33% off. Worth it?

Edit 2: wow this game is great on Deck
What Forspoken? I heard mixed reviews tbh

GHG

Gold Member
Spent all afternoon testing out the ridge racer series via emulation:

Ridge racer type 4 - runs great, as expected

Ridge Racer V - runs great as well, 1080p 60fps, need to do a bit of fiddling to get it to run in analogue mode though instead of d-pad (if anyone needs a guide, let me know).

Ridge racer 7 - this one surprised me considering it's a PS3 game, runs at a rock solid 60fps, just needs a simple tweak in the emulator audio settings to iron out the audio bug that was present.

Will test out Ridge Racer 2, the PSP version next but don't expect any issues.

Will be trying out xbox 360 emulation next.

Lost Odyssey and PGR here I come.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My screenshots taken on the Deck aren't showing up any longer on my Steam profiie. Known issue?

Also I just bought and downloaded Dead Space. I was too scared to play it on PS3.

Edit: Oh shoot I accidentally skipped something about Vulkan. Now it's taking a long time to build shaders. Did I mess up?

Edit 2: everything is fine. Running at 30 fps but I will deal with that later

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Played last night at the bar again with a friend. I noticed connecting gamepads via bluetooth is pretty shitty. Dropped inputs and it seems that it has trouble dealing with two gamepads, it kept disconnecting randomly.

Chiaki is the real deal. Played Fifa matches, Uncharted 4 and Dark Pictures Devil In Me via remote play. I had to tweak settings to get it just right for my internet setup but damn, smooth as butter.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I got my JSAUX translucent green backplate today. It was $30(+$5 s&h), shipped from China and took exactly 2 weeks from the time I ordered. My early impression is that I really like it, but without it being a full shell/housing replacement it's largely unnoticeable and pointless aside from the fact it doesn't creak in bottom left like my old backplate did after upgrading the SSD, and this came with custom back-buttons.:messenger_grinning_sweat: I would fucking love to have a full shell/housing in this green color or atomic purple!

Here's some photos of the package contents, the installation process, back-button comparisons, and also an offscreen photo of the JSAUX screen protector I ordered from Amazon for $10 out of curiosity. I initially used AmFilm, but imo JSAUX has a better fit and easier installation process.
This is what comes in the package. There's the backplate, screwdriver, plastic spudger/pry tool, Deck backplate screws, back-button screws, tiny-dick condoms(analog stick covers?), 3 sets of back-buttons, and instructions. The screwdrivers doesn't seem to be magnetic, and the pry tool wasn't great. I ended up using the iFixit screwdriver with size PH0 along with their guitar pick style pry tool. Worked much better.
bhrEujI.jpg

Here's the inside of both the JSAUX backplate and the original backplate.
mbqdSny.jpg

Here's a top view of the backplates. The JSAUX has original buttons on the left(R4,R5), and the raised, opposite/inward facing buttons on the right(L4,L5).
a4I3wQD.jpg

Here's a more angled view to show the height of the buttons in the L4,L5 position camera right.
nnOgtYh.jpg

Here's what it looks like assembled(aside from some screws). I ended up going with the outward-facing raised style buttons. I played DOOM Eternal for about 30min. using these and I liked how they felt. Only downside is that on my left hand I have a "boxers break" and damaged pinky finger that causes it to slight hook inwards compared to my right pinky finger. This makes it ever-so-slightly touch the lower L5 button, so I'm having to adjust my natural grip a bit with that hand. I might end up mixing an original/flat style button on L5, and leaving the others the raised style in the future. There was a sharp edge on the right side by the shoulder button about 1cm. I pulled the backplate off and bent it a little by hand and used my thumbnail to kind of blunt it. It's fine now.
48uwvOs.jpg
So yeah, I love how it looks, but you don't really see it, so it's kind of pointless:messenger_grinning_sweat:, but it gave me a taste of the glory that could be a full shell replacement. I'd be day-1 on that shit.

Here's an offscreen shot of the JSAUX tempered glass screen protector. It's hard to capture the Deck screen with my phone, and in real life you don't have a screendoor effect like the picture. Should still give a good idea of the clarity of the protector.
gbkJ1Ob.jpg

$10 on Amazon. Comes with 2 protectors, cleaning kit, and a cool bracket for perfect placement. I find this superior to amFilm that's also a decent product, but the Deck screen protector didn't fit as perfectly as the JSAUX, and doesn't come with the alignment bracket.

Been really enjoying wind waker. Still holding out if more he’s y games are fun. Tested resident evil 2, looks pretty good but a bit blurry

Played last night at the bar again with a friend. I noticed connecting gamepads via bluetooth is pretty shitty. Dropped inputs and it seems that it has trouble dealing with two gamepads, it kept disconnecting randomly.

Stealing the link from Kupfer Kupfer s post: Try decky loader, there is a plugin for better Controller-connectivity (didn't try that plugin myself), maybe it helps.

Filben

Any advises on Screen protector? I went with the 64GB and looking for a quality one that doesn't alter the image quality.
Ordered from dbrand. They are a bit more pricier, but their protectors have an anti glare and oil coating. I had the 512GB model side by side and the reflection with the screen protector on the 64GB model was almost identical. You still see finger prints, though. It's no magic but it helps.

Maybe other glasses offer the same features, I didn't compare those, but I'm happy with the dbrand one.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I got my JSAUX translucent green backplate today. It was $30(+$5 s&h), shipped from China and took exactly 2 weeks from the time I ordered. My early impression is that I really like it, but without it being a full shell/housing replacement it's largely unnoticeable and pointless aside from the fact it doesn't creak in bottom left like my old backplate did after upgrading the SSD, and this came with custom back-buttons.:messenger_grinning_sweat: I would fucking love to have a full shell/housing in this green color or atomic purple!

Here's some photos of the package contents, the installation process, back-button comparisons, and also an offscreen photo of the JSAUX screen protector I ordered from Amazon for $10 out of curiosity. I initially used AmFilm, but imo JSAUX has a better fit and easier installation process.

So yeah, I love how it looks, but you don't really see it, so it's kind of pointless:messenger_grinning_sweat:, but it gave me a taste of the glory that could be a full shell replacement. I'd be day-1 on that shit.

Here's an offscreen shot of the JSAUX tempered glass screen protector. It's hard to capture the Deck screen with my phone, and in real life you don't have a screendoor effect like the picture. Should still give a good idea of the clarity of the protector.
gbkJ1Ob.jpg

$10 on Amazon. Comes with 2 protectors, cleaning kit, and a cool bracket for perfect placement. I find this superior to amFilm that's also a decent product, but the Deck screen protector didn't fit as perfectly as the JSAUX, and doesn't come with the alignment bracket.
If they had a front plate, I might get tempted to get something like this. I don't really care what the back looks like, since it is typically facing away from me. Those back buttons like nice though. Are they comfortable without accidental presses?

One of these days I will get a replacement analog stick for the one on my deck that is slightly askew.

GHG

Gold Member
It's funny, I bought a bunch of games during the steam sale specifically for the Deck but I've since set up most of the emulators I want to on the machine all I'm doing is using those now.

Lost odyssey runs like a dream on this thing.

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
It's funny, I bought a bunch of games during the steam sale specifically for the Deck but I've since set up most of the emulators I want to on the machine all I'm doing is using those now.

Lost odyssey runs like a dream on this thing.

Can you DM steps on how to get LO running??

calistan

gbkJ1Ob.jpg

I was tempted by this (pointlessness aside) but some of the reviews on the Jsaux site said that the metal piece in the backplate gets uncomfortably hot. Have you experienced that? Also, can you still fit it in the standard carry case with the extended back buttons?

PS The Maradona-size condoms are gross anti-static things for your fingertips.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was tempted by this (pointlessness aside) but some of the reviews on the Jsaux site said that the metal piece in the backplate gets uncomfortably hot. Have you experienced that? Also, can you still fit it in the standard carry case with the extended back buttons?

PS The Maradona-size condoms are gross anti-static things for your fingertips.
I only played DOOM Eternal for 30min, then I played NSMBU for a bit. I’ll have to see what happens when I run something more intensive like HZD benchmark, or 3DMark Time Spy on a loop via Win10. I have one of those laser thermometer guns in a drawer somewhere. Maybe I’ll get an actual temp on both of them.

It seems to fit in the case just fine, and from I can tell it’s not depressing the buttons. The inward facing buttons might be different. While using it you’re not going to experience accidental presses. They have a stiffer springboard style action.

I didn’t realize those were finger condoms. That’s some weird shit.

Last edited:
Mine's arriving tomorrow. I've been reviewing my library in anticipation and I don't think my 512gb sd card is going to be enough. I completely forgot how huge some games are since it was a non-issue on my primary PC. I was looking at Metro Exodus' 80gb install and thought I was looking at the Enhanced Edition but nope, they're actually very similar in size. On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised at how small Skyrim and Fallout 4 are.

Anyway, anyone have experience with grand strategy games or 4X games on the Deck? Any recommendations on what runs/plays well?

calistan

I'll be downloading the demo for Terra Nil. Currently rated Platinum on ProtonDB but the feedback is based on the demo so far.

I made an OT in case any else has been waiting for this release:
Just playing it now. It has an option to scale up the user interface, which is a good thing, but otherwise I'd say it's not really suitable for the Deck - no controller support and the tutorial asks you to click and hold the middle mouse button, which is when I gave up and moved to the desktop PC.

Nvm the blurry mess of RE2 was the super fidelity resolution thing. Turned that off looks great. RE2 is hard to put down. The pacing of the police station is so good

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Right when my Humble Bundle monthly games hit, Steam starts shitting itself. No spare keys this month, but I'll be sure and hit you all up should I have extras in the future.

Midn1ght

98emmhs.jpg

I'm already in love. Installed Vibrant Deck right away and the difference is night and day for me, looks so much better.

Not that it matter but my 64GB came without the cleaning cloth and the little bag to store it. The carrying case also doesn't have that little strap to easily pull the Deck out of the case. Wonder if those are exclusive to higher models. Everything else is perfect though, got it delivered in 5 days. Can't wait to play it more.

TaroYamada

98emmhs.jpg

I'm already in love. Installed Vibrant Deck right away and the difference is night and day for me, looks so much better.

Not that it matter but my 64GB came without the cleaning cloth and the little bag to store it. The carrying case also doesn't have that little strap to easily pull the Deck out of the case. Wonder if those are exclusive to higher models. Everything else is perfect though, got it delivered in 5 days. Can't wait to play it more.
I have a 64gb I preordered day one and it had the strap to pull the Deck out.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

They stopped including the case strap from what I've read. I've had both the 512GB and the 64GB models and the difference is that the 512GB model has the anti-glare screen, color logo on the case, micro fiber cloth, and charger baggie. My 64GB model came with the case lift strap thingy.

Top Bottom