• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck screen mod "DeckHD" brings it up 1200p

YCoCg

Not seen many posts here about Steam Deck mods but one of the things people always mention is the rather crappy screen Valve put into it, this video dropped on my feed recently and a company has released a replacement screen that you can fit into your Steam Deck which has a screen resolution of 1920x1200, which is good but the bigger benefit IMO is that the sRGB rating for this screen is much higher than the one provided by Valve meaning it has better colour reproduction and accuracy. It's estimated to be $99 for the full kit.

DeckHD website

Last edited:

zeomax

After asking if there will be a OLED version Valve said you can't simply swap out the display because many components are designed around this specific display and you need to redesign the Steamdeck for a different display. Bullshit!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Taki Udon did a pretty comprehensive review on it.

The biggest issues that have me reconsidering are that it's only about 75% as bright as the Deck screen, which can affect playing in situations like in a car, a bus, or a train near a window. Also, the DeckHD has a much warmer color temperature than Deck, which leads to 'less-white' white compared to the Deck's cooler color temp. The last thing was the need for a custom bios with their DeckHD logo on the boot.

On the plus side it has better purples and a slightly sharper image. However, it should be mentioned that he was comparing to the Deck screen without VibrantDeck running. With a little increase in saturation, and maybe a 1% increase to blue and red, you'd be hard-pressed to notice a difference. I think this screen is best suited for a replacement in the case of a broken screen. I don't know. I went from 'definitely' to 'probably not' after seeing this review. I was hoping for more of an impact to clarity/sharpness due the res, the slightly better colors weren't really my target since VibrantDeck fixes a lot of that. That's probably more down to 800p already being good enough for a 7" screen.

I guess I'll wait for a few more reviews.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Taki Udon did a pretty comprehensive review on it.

The biggest issues that have me reconsidering are that it's only about 75% as bright as the Deck screen, which can affect playing in situations like in a car, a bus, or a train near a window. Also, the DeckHD has a much warmer color temperature than Deck, which leads to 'less-white' white compared to the Deck's cooler color temp. The last thing was the need for a custom bios with their DeckHD logo on the boot.

On the plus side it has better purples and a slightly sharper image. However, it should be mentioned that he was comparing to the Deck screen without VibrantDeck running. With a little increase in saturation, and maybe a 1% increase to blue and red, you'd be hard-pressed to notice a difference. I think this screen is best suited for a replacement in the case of a broken screen. I don't know. I went from 'definitely' to 'probably not' after seeing this review. I was hoping for more of an impact to clarity/sharpness due the res, the slightly better colors weren't really my target since VibrantDeck fixes a lot of that. That's probably more down to 800p already being good enough for a 7" screen.

I guess I'll wait for a few more reviews.

just sounds like a load of old shit to me, purples? Wtf? The deck plays most things i've thrown at it, never thought about a purple hue..

What even is this shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Best handheld going. If your on the fence, buy one.

TwinB242

The main problem with the screens on these handheld gaming devices is that they're too small given how detailed modern games are and just how much text/small UI elements can be. 8 inch or even 9 inch large screens need to become standard, thats more important than a mere resolution bump that's main effects will just be lowering overall performance.

Last edited:

YCoCg

I'm not defensive, I just know the value in the things we have at this point in time :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Dude, no one is trying to say you've bought a shit product, this thread is just about a screen mod (which Valve said wouldn't be possible) which replaces the screen with a better higher resolution one that also has a better sRGB coverage. Also leading people to hope that down the line we'll see OLED screen mods for the Deck.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Dude, no one is trying to say you've bought a shit product, this thread is just about a screen mod (which Valve said wouldn't be possible) which replaces the screen with a better higher resolution one that also has a better sRGB coverage. Also leading people to hope that down the line we'll see OLED screen mods for the Deck.
Now that I would like, an Oled Deck. How good would that be! You're right, there can be better things this handheld can achieve and i'd love to see it

Sorry if I come across abrasive, I'm just happy for what we've got. Never would I have thought for a system that could do all this :)

For me at this point in time it does the lot. I've bought most handhelds but this just does it all

I'm easily pleased I guess :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Tommi84

One company says it just works, but it doesn't
The other company says it WON'T work, but it does.
What kind of magic this is?!

One should be ridiculed, and yet, people are waiting for their games o_O

Klosshufvud

The main problem with the screens on these handheld gaming devices is that they're too small given how detailed modern games are and just how much text/small UI elements can be. 8 inch or even 9 inch large screens need to become standard, thats more important than a mere resolution bump that's main effects will just be lowering overall performance.
Agreed. 8' 1200p is minimum for me now. HD-era PC games below that just look messy and cluttered most of the time. I doubt SD processing power can reach 1200p though.

calistan

I don't think I've ever picked up my Steam Deck and thought, man I wish this had exactly the same size screen but higher resolution and only 75% as bright.

But countless times I've picked it up for a quick game and found the battery is dead because I hadn't used it in a couple of weeks.

If any issue needs resolving with the Steam Deck, it's the battery life. I can guarantee my Steam Deck is on zero battery right now, and even if it was fully charged it would be dead within 90 minutes if I played anything remotely demanding on it. It's handheld but it isn't portable.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yeah I also watched Taki's video and decided against this.
I was planning on getting it and replacing it at the same I do the full shell swap. I’m not so sure now.

I will say that capturing the nuances of the Deck screen on camera can be difficult. There’s a chance it looks better in person. I was probably in it for the wrong reasons as I wanted enhanced clarity and sharpness from higher res as opposed to better colors. I don’t really see that in the comparisons.

Sleepwalker

I was planning on getting it and replacing it at the same I do the full shell swap. I’m not so sure now.

I will say that capturing the nuances of the Deck screen on camera can be difficult. There’s a chance it looks better in person. I was probably in it for the wrong reasons as I wanted enhanced clarity and sharpness from higher res as opposed to better colors. I don’t really see that in the comparisons.
I did want better colors and higher res but on second thought its such an extensive job for something thats not that great. I would reconsider for a top tier screen like an OLED or a higher refresh one.

Klosshufvud

I don't think I've ever picked up my Steam Deck and thought, man I wish this had exactly the same size screen but higher resolution and only 75% as bright.

But countless times I've picked it up for a quick game and found the battery is dead because I hadn't used it in a couple of weeks.

If any issue needs resolving with the Steam Deck, it's the battery life. I can guarantee my Steam Deck is on zero battery right now, and even if it was fully charged it would be dead within 90 minutes if I played anything remotely demanding on it. It's handheld but it isn't portable.
The battery is absolutely the weakest aspect of SD and other PC handhelds. I use a device with 65Wh (compared to 40Wh of Deck) and even then I feel like battery life is a constant struggle. It's really painful using Deck at its full 15W usage.

Dream-Knife

Banned

I'm replaying Elden Ring on my Deck (it was technically a launch title for it) and I'm getting 3 hours on it. Medium settings, 30 fps, FSR ultra.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Who was asking for 1200p? Pretty much most comments concerning the SD display are asking for OLED or higher refresh.
800p OLED @ 90Hz with 400+nits would be incredible.

bbeach123

Considering the size of the screen 800p was already plenty good . Its had the same pixel density as a 4k 21'' screen .

4k 21'' , do you see how ridiculous that sound ?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Who was asking for 1200p? Pretty much most comments concerning the SD display are asking for OLED or higher refresh.
800p OLED @ 90Hz with 400+nits would be incredible.
Considering the plethora of current and old school games you want there (many optimised for 4:3 or 16:10 aspect ratio at 480p or 240p or so) having a 1280x800 screen is perfect. No need to waste tons of performance on targeting 1080p or higher in handheld mode, leave that when you dock it if you really need it.

What I want from a Steam Deck 2 screen wise is the same exact resolution and aspect ratio but OLED and HDR.

Kupfer

For me it's not worth the money and effort. I'm totally fine with the Decks' 800p.
OLED on the other hand....

Last edited:

Larxia

Like other have saids, OLED probably would be a better upgrade rather than resolution.
I haven't played the steamdeck, but is the 800p resolution really that noticeable on a screen this size? It seems like increasing it that much would be a waste of performances.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Like other have saids, OLED probably would be a better upgrade rather than resolution.
I haven't played the steamdeck, but is the 800p resolution really that noticeable on a screen this size? It seems like increasing it that much would be a waste of performances.

No, it’s not. It looks sharp as a knife when game is running in 800p. First game I tried when I got my deck was Fallout New Vegas and I was blown away by how sharp it looked.

Kupfer

No, it’s not. It looks sharp as a knife when game is running in 800p. First game I tried when I got my deck was Fallout New Vegas and I was blown away by how sharp it looked.
Funny, I've been playing it on the Deck since last week, my first time playing Fallout Vegas, and I'm hooked. Actually, I just wanted to take a look if I missed something back then; now after a week and a good 27 hours of gameplay (no end in sight yet) I can say, yes fortunately I missed it back then. It feels so good and plays really clean on the Deck. Crisp, smooth performance and the whole package at 8-9Watt@40fps/hz.
I probably never would have caught up with the game on PC, but that's exactly why I got the Deck and it works. I've used the Deck to catch up on more old games than I've started newer games on the main computer.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Why the hell would anyone want a higher resolution screen for the Steam Deck? Valve's portable "barely" has the power to make its existing screen justice in terms of image quality and resolution.

timothet

After asking if there will be a OLED version Valve said you can't simply swap out the display because many components are designed around this specific display and you need to redesign the Steamdeck for a different display. Bullshit!
That statement still may be true. Heat dissipation may be an issue, especially in this form format. Steamdeck is designed around screen with certain specs, so switching it for another display MAY not allow for heat dissipation system to perform in optimal way. Over time it may affect longevity of the device.

Kupfer

Why the hell would anyone want a higher resolution screen for the Steam Deck? Valve's portable "barely" has the power to make its existing screen justice in terms of image quality and resolution.
You can, as I understand it, always downscale cleanly to 800p. But assuming you want to play games that aren't so power hungry, it's a nice upgrade to be able to display those games in 1200p.
So it's not for me either, but there is definitely a use and a niche within the niche group of Deck users for whom the product is interesting.

amc

I'll stick with my Xreal Airs. 1920x1080, 120hz and Oled. Plenty of games can take advantage of them, BallisticNG is glorious at 120hz.

Last edited:
Mobile gaming peaked with Snake on Nokia and Brick Breaker on Blackberry.
Truth spoken, great games, full version, no micro transactions. Could play these forever.

images GIF

Akuji

in 5-10 years those things are gonne be nice. have a steamdeck myself to give them some money for making another one. but its just not ready for me as it is.
its a nice device but it just lacks the power. give me oled 240hz panel and make it smaller/lighter. So i can play casual games more easily.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The battery is absolutely the weakest aspect of SD and other PC handhelds. I use a device with 65Wh (compared to 40Wh of Deck) and even then I feel like battery life is a constant struggle. It's really painful using Deck at its full 15W usage.
if you travel a lot a clamp with a battery holder and a 1tb ssd are essential.

welshrat

800p is fine for me at the moment, I will await the inevitable Deck 2 as the current deck can't run a 1200p screen, it doesn't have enough horsepower.

Last edited:
Top Bottom