• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck vs Switch specs comparison chart

SantaC

Gold Member
The most notable difference is obviously the Zen 2 CPU @ 7nm which destroys the five year old ARM. Also, 16GB RAM vs 4GB is pretty significant

ADRw2gi.png

Source: https://www.sweclockers.com/artikel...ch-en-narmare-titt-pa-likheter-och-skillnader

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Next you should compare the Ps5 to the PS4 Pro.

The Switch is a console with the typical console business model that has been around for ~40 years where the hardware is the same in year 5 and 6 as year 1.

You gotta wait for Switch 2 to get the next gen cpu.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

The biggest difference I see outside the stronger hardware on Deck is that Switch plays Nintendo games.

What sells Nintendo hardware is not the specs but their games not being found anywhere else.

Yeah. I want someone to show SMT V or Metroid Dread running on the Steam Deck using Yuzu or Ryujinx and it not being a complete shit show before I consider a purchase.

Last edited:

SantaC

Gold Member
Yeah. I want someone to show SMT V or Metroid Dread running on the Steam Deck using Yuzu or Ryujinx and it not being a complete shit show before I consider a purchase.

Runs Yuzu on 2500U with Vega 8 graphics card.

We are years away from that yet... the next-gen Nintendo portable will probably be out before that

It already runs some games on lower specs. See video above.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

In the future when a emulator got enough good... yeap.
We are years away from that yet... the next-gen Nintendo portable will probably be out before that.

I talked with a yuzu developer yesterday and he says it will most likely already run at the day it releases. The question is how well and how much they optimize for it. they will only know the moment they get there hands on it. But technically it should run on day one.

Fredrik

The biggest difference I see outside the stronger hardware on Deck is that Switch plays Nintendo games.

What sells Nintendo hardware is not the specs but their games not being found anywhere else.
I’m pretty sure Steam Deck will actually play more Nintendo games than Switch 😉 But so does the Xbox Series consoles through some shady methods so I guess we can ignore that for now and keep things official.
Exclusive games then, that didn’t help WiiU so I’d say the hardware still need to have some sort of appeal. For Switch I’m guessing it’s a combination of the portability, or hybrid nature if you will, and exclusive games you ”can’t” play elsewhere.

kingfey

Banned
I’m pretty sure Steam Deck will actually play more Nintendo games than Switch 😉 But so does the Xbox Series consoles through some shady methods so I guess we can ignore that for now and keep things official.
Exclusive games then, that didn’t help WiiU so I’d say the hardware still need to have some sort of appeal. For Switch I’m guessing it’s a combination of the portability, or hybrid nature if you will, and exclusive games you ”can’t” play elsewhere.
There is 2 games switch cant play. Call of duty, and GTAV. Those are a must for that machine.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think we've had around 25 years of people comparing specs against Nintendo and Nintendo proves that well developed first party games negate or at least level the playing field of all their hardware.

I feel more confident buying a piece of Nintendo hardware knowing I'm going to have an absolute blast with some amazing games than I do in the steam deck playing bigger third party games at settings and framerates that I'm happy with.

The steam deck seems awesome for what it is and I may pick one up, but Nintendo has proven time and time again that their systems don't need to be compared to any other.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned

So does the Deck via emulation. Lol

Install retroarch, citra, yuzu, etc and you can run any game from the NES all the way to Switch games.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This thing will play Nintendo games better than the Switch on day one.
lol you guys are greatly over estimating this thing. it is 7 - 18w. In comparison a ps4 is 165W with nearly the same specs and it would have issue running a switch emulator. I would love to be proven wrong but I just dont see it.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

The only caveat to Switch emulation is that there are pauses and stutters when it compiles shaders the first time, so even if its locked to 60fps it will still have the frametime spikes you see in the video that someone replied to your comment with above, its on a much smaller screen than a big TV though so its not too bad.

If you aren't sensitive to v-sync stutter (Like when a game drops frames below 60) then you'll have a blast. You can see the whole game pauses for like 2 seconds when he brings up the map, stuff like that can happen too. I'm not knocking the emulation, its fantastic progress but I like to give this disclaimer for when people say "its locked to 60 fps! on X HW", because they never mention that caveat.

Older emulation like Dolphin for Gamecube/Wii has solved this issue via pre game launch shader compilations and asynchronous shader compilation for the ones that are created during gameplay, so you don't get stutter there anymore and its perfectly locked, but they dont have that for Wii U or Switch emulation yet afaik.

This thing will play Switch games better than the Switch on day one. My old ass FX 6300 at stock speeds runs BOTW and Xenoblade X at 30 FPS.

A device that is coming out at the end of 2021 has better specs than a device that came out 1st quarter of 2017, great analysis there.

My PC will play PC games better than Steam Deck on day one.

Fredrik

Aya Neo running Yuzu + Super Mario Odyssey

Aya Neo Specs

CPURyzen 5 4500U
GPURadeon RX Vega 6
Display7-inch 1280 x 800 (16:10)
RAM16 GB LPDDR4X-4266 Dual Channel
Ports3x USB-C (2x DP and PD), 3.5 mm combo audio
Battery47 Wh

😲
I did not expect that. Almost 60fps
How does Steam Deck compare to Aya Neo regarding power?

Denton

The biggest difference I see outside the stronger hardware on Deck is that Deck will play Gamecube, Gameboy and SNES games.

And probably WiiU and Switch games.

Afaik it should have significantly faster GPU (rdna 2 versus vega)

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Wait......the Steam Deck doesn't use oled tech? Yikes. Nintendo 1 upping the competition

Small size OLED screens aren't like LG's TV-sized OLED panels, they have shitty near black handling so if its not a pure black background/pixels (ie most cases) then it won't look any better/could look worse than an LCD so its not a big loss. Its not the massive upgrade over LCD in almost every area that it is in TV size panels so an LCD panel will be great for this thing.

Do you have an OLED screened phone? If you do go to Netflix and watch the intro to Ozark S01E01 on it, the whole screen will be blue and it looks like shit compared to even my LCD TV, let alone the OLED.

tr1p1ex

Small size OLED screens aren't like LG's TV-sized OLED panels, they have shitty near black handling so if its not a pure black background/pixels (ie most cases) then it won't look any better/could look worse than an LCD so its not a big loss. Its not the massive upgrade over LCD in almost every area that it is in TV size panels so an LCD panel will be great for this thing.

Do you have an OLED screened phone? If you do go to Netflix and watch the intro to Ozark S01E01 on it, the whole screen will be blue and it looks like shit compared to even my LCD TV, let alone the OLED.
I bet the screen looks nicer.

Mithos

😲
I did not expect that. Almost 60fps
Better CPU and GPU.

Aya Neo has 6core and 6 threads, and 6 Vega GPU CU's
Steam Deck has 4core 8threads, and 8 RDNA2 GPU CU's

Also that yuzu build is 5 months old... Improvements have been made.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The most notable difference is obviously the Zen 2 CPU @ 7nm which destroys the five year old ARM. Also, 16GB RAM vs 4GB is pretty significant

ADRw2gi.png

Source: https://www.sweclockers.com/artikel...ch-en-narmare-titt-pa-likheter-och-skillnader
Switch OLED $350

Custom Nvidia Tegra X1 SoC
4 core 4 thread ARM A57 CPU @ 1.0 GHz
0.16-0.24 TFLOPs (handheld) / 0.39 TFLOPs (docked) Nvidia Maxwell GPU (256 cores @ 307-768 MHz)
4 GB LPPDDR4 @ 25 GB/s
32/64 GB eMMC, + MicroSD card slot

7" 16x9 OLED 1280x720 @ 60 Hz (SDR)
USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 4.1
Dock - AC In (power), LAN, USB-A 2.0 x2, HDMI 1.4 Out
Max AV Out - 1080p 60 Hz, PCM 5.1

SteamDeck $400/$530/$650

Custom AMD SoC
4 core 8 thread AMD Zen2 CPU @ 2.4-3.5 GHz
1.02-1.64 TFLOPs AMD RDNA2 GPU (512 cores @ 1.0-1.6 GHz)
16 GB LPDDR5 (@ 44 or 88 GB/s ?)
64 GB eMMC (Gen2x1) / 256/512 GB NVMe SSD (Gen3x4), + MicroSD card slot

7" 16x10 LCD 1280x800 @ 60 Hz (SDR)
USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 5.0
Dock* - USB-C (for power), USB-C (to SteamDeck), LAN, USB-A 3.1, USB-A 2.0 x2, HDMI 2.0 Out
Max AV Out - 2160p 120 Hz, PCM 7.1

*sold separate

Last edited:

sendit

It was mostly a joke post. Of course not all OLED screens are built to the same specs. Cost, power requirements, and form factor are just some of the limitations.

I don't have an OLED TV to compare it to. However, my iphone 12 pro consistently looks better than my 65" Samsung Frame TV.

scydrex

A device that is coming out at the end of 2021 has better specs than a device that came out 1st quarter of 2017, great analysis there.

My PC will play PC games better than Steam Deck on day one.

And the Switch Oled? When? Nintendo don't care about specs. They do the minimum. Don't tell me it'd base on the same old Switch from 2017. They could have do something but they don't care and still is a 2021 device.

Last edited:
Top Bottom