• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

dex3108

In one hand Valve is not happy that their game is not most played on Steam anymore. but in the other hand they are happy because PUBG makes them so much money and attracts so many new users.

data

I don't have enough space on my HD to download ESO, can I make an account on their website, redeem the key with in-game items I got from humble, and link it to steam later?

Edit: Wait, the game requires 70GB upfront, and then it downloads another 85GB on a launcher? Wtf

Werd

Attempting to actually try Humble Monthly games before they show up in another bundle 2 months later... Seasons after Fall was good! Great artwork, and general presentation with the narration/music. Seasons mechanic is cool. Story was interesting enough, lot of Ori and the Blind forest vibes with the themes and style.

Simple though, none of the puzzles or platforming ever get too challenging and there is no combat (not that there needs to be). Generally just a pretty relaxing enjoyable game for ~6 hours.
Although I do have a few issues - one of the puzzles was annoyingly obtuse (Fireflies -
why do the correct seasons for each symbol appear in random locations screens away??
), backtracking a second time is a bit much and the portals they haphazardly throw around isn't much of a solution. I liked the visual cues they had for which areas were completed in the hub though.

Anyway, given I had never heard or seen a screenshot of this game prior to the Humble Monthly inclusion... pleasant surprise.

edit: As for PUBG 2 million... I thought I was late to the party when I bought it in June and was impressed with it's 350K concurrent. Wow.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Contrast -- MB-D271B32C7562F0C8 - Taken by MissChief. 18 entrants total.
Starward Rogue -- MB-A9D099CCFAEA3BC8 - Taken by laserlaser. 2 entrants total.

t1507398767z1.png

Platy

Is contrast any good ?

The premise looks interesting but I don't want to enter a giveaway without knowing much =x

Is contrast any good ?

The premise looks interesting but I don't want to enter a giveaway without knowing much =x

It's nothing special but it's still a good puzzle platformer.

I really enjoyed Contrast, bugs and all. I agree it's nothing special per se, but to me it felt kinda special in a particular way. Great atmosphere and art if nothing else.

The art is it's strongest point. I wouldn't bring it up if someone asked me for a recommendation of the best platformers but I enjoyed it as well and would tell anyone interested in it that is worth playing.

Lain

I really enjoyed Contrast, bugs and all. I agree it's nothing special per se, but to me it felt kinda special in a particular way. Great atmosphere and art if nothing else.

I wish all new games were all as cheap as Shadows of War is pre-release. I dont want it sadly, as the first one was pretty average to me.

Platy

It's nothing special but it's still a good puzzle platformer.

The art is it's strongest point. I wouldn't bring it up if someone asked me for a recommendation of the best platformers but I enjoyed it as well and would tell anyone interested in it that is worth playing.

Sounds perfect for the very cheap price of nothing, thanks !

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of SunDimension24, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 22 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin -- MB-6619F8979747AB2A - Taken by Vuze. 18 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
DmC: Devil May Cry -- MB-5C213803260A25A5 - Taken by Vazduh. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 -- MB-1D4E7F9E8CC0D75D - Taken by laserlaser. 6 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Pillars of Eternity -- MB-8D9AB0E9F7EFB892 - Taken by Madventure. 19 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Ryse: Son of Rome -- MB-0447CFBD57265B9D - Taken by gabbo. 5 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL -- MB-B52D84E6A76B92FA - Taken by alr1ght. 2 entrants total.
Else Heart.Break() -- MB-BAB1B64C4E6A0A00 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Hector: Badge of Carnage -- MB-4ED7DD161E63F42F - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.
Homefront -- MB-BC97F55F0F2BBFE4 - Taken by boybrushdRED. 3 entrants total.
Killer is Dead: Nightmare Edition -- MB-33A94C0861793C0D - Taken by MissChief. 3 entrants total.
Poker Night at the Inventory -- MB-2B9C9900B33291CC
Puzzle Agent 2 -- MB-68F6CDF1325BA3BF - Taken by arbok26. 1 entrants total.
Rise of the Tomb Raider -- MB-65BE44B33A221E26 - Taken by longlivegaming. 16 entrants total.
STRIDER -- MB-CDE033851CCF982B
Saints Row 2 -- MB-1EF1985D23AE0F4F
Saints Row The Third -- MB-CA3E3E71FD69031A - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell -- MB-D67B74AE88599EB0 - Taken by Parsnip. 4 entrants total.
Star Wars Battlefront II -- MB-3BAF08AB6A1E48A7 - Taken by Ibuki. 1 entrants total.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-AB22DDD6B24746D0 - Taken by Dr.Acula. 1 entrants total.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II -- MB-5860953E9A3D14F1 - Taken by purseowner. 1 entrants total.
The Wolf Among Us -- MB-42648BDDDC2223A0 - Taken by someguyinahat. 4 entrants total.

XCOM 2 -- MB-3822611C3544BD1D - Taken by Regginator. 18 entrants total.

t1507432972z1.png

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My opinion on Contrast was it was style over substance. The game itself is okay, it's not bad and worth a playthrough if interested. But honestly it never really wowed me or did anything interesting with its gameplay, and the story is just okay and in some ways feels like a missed opportunity. The only area the game really excels in is the art direction and stylistically, which I both love the core concept, the character designs, and the setting. It has some neat touches for the setting too. But it feels like the game could've been so much more than what it ends up being.

Javier23

Banned
I've made a silly mistake for the second time in Orwell. There's no undo nor the possibility of loading an earlier save. And I'm now on the third chapter. *Sigh*. First time it happened I was beginning the second chapter and I just restarted. May have to do the same. Eventually. Starting to hate a game I was enjoying for the most part.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mordor pre-load is live, but none of the game's public packages have data depots, so all you can pre-load at the moment are the associated redists.

Ladekabel

What's up with Steam downloads today? It's pretty unconsistent for me today and in the double digits KB for a few minutes, shoots up for a few seconds and then comes back down. Been changing server region but that didn't help.

Plesiades

Frontier has an expo?

I love that developers like them and Digital Extremes can do big events for their games.

After reading about how players want to talk to the ELITE: Dangerous aliens, I found Sethian.

Looks really interesting. Like an Arrival game.

Mifec

Mordor pre-load is live, but none of the game's public packages have data depots, so all you can pre-load at the moment are the associated redists.

Ahaha people have been asking for preload for days now and they do them dirty like this.

Monthly stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (the_firewithin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Rise of the Tomb Raider -- MB-B5CD2111244C9C4F - Taken by MadGear. 21 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Wargame: Red Dragon -- MB-45C0028E8C6B1CE8 - Taken by boybrushdRED. 5 entrants total.
Orwell: Keeping an Eye On You -- MB-3C56AF9CCDFA5115 - Taken by Mobius and pet octopus. 13 entrants total.
Scanner Sombre -- MB-6079B49483AF1619 - Taken by KainXVIII. 1 entrants total.
Seasons After Fall -- MB-FBEDA10B3F5ED3BB - Taken by fspm. 7 entrants total.

t1507403325z1.png

A bit late but I'd go with The Witcher 3. Though if you've played it for 20 hours and are not enough into it as to make that decision on your own maybe you're just not enjoying it as much as I did.

I do like The Witcher 3 quite a bit, but it never got its hooks into me like it seems to have done for so many other people. I think part of it is being a bit of a completionist and being overwhelmed by all the points of interest shown on the map. I intend to work on completing it sometime, but the sheer amount of hours needed to finish the game is daunting, as my life has gotten somewhat busier.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
What's up with Steam downloads today? It's pretty unconsistent for me today and in the double digits KB for a few minutes, shoots up for a few seconds and then comes back down. Been changing server region but that didn't help.

It started happening last night and is affecting a lot of users. Seems to be a bit better for me today but am still having the issue with it going up to say, 8MB or 9MB downloading, then it goes all the way back down to 0 bytes and just sits there for a while.

Parsnip

I was expecting PUBG to break 2mil ccu when they drop a new map or some other big update (mantling plz), but man, looks like 3mil might be more accurate for those big updates at this point.

Just played an hour of Warframe, and wow I can't believe it's a F2P game.

It's so polished and 300% different from what I played back in 2013 or so.

Looking forward to the open world update coming this week.

Goodbye, Destiny 2.

Is it really that good? My interest in Destiny 2 has been dying since the game has already been out for consoles for a while. But I have been holding on to the cheap preorder I got.

Parsnip

My 6TB external I use as a media server is dying guys, I'll probably replace it with an 8TB external whats the best option?

I mean you might get a lot of different answers from different people because everyone seems to have different luck with different brands. Me for example, all my (internal) Seagate drives have failed well before their time, so I'm never buying Seagate ever again.

All my current (internal) drives are WD, but I'd probably go with Toshiba if I were to buy something today. But I don't think Toshiba externals have an 8tb option, so then I'd go with WD My Book. But that's just me.

Mifec

Anyone got a list of which EU download region servers are fine? Because downloading stuff at 34kbs with random spikes ain't fun.

Played an hour of that Doki Doki Literature Club game and I don't think I'm a fan of visual novels. There were almost no choices for dialogues and no voice overs so all I was doing was pressing a button to advance to text. At the end of the "day" you get to choose some words for your poem but at the end of the 2nd day, the same words were presented, only in random order! I'll try a bit more but howlongtobeat says its a 6+ hour game so I don't know if I can manage that lol.

Played an hour of that Doki Doki Literature Club game and I don't think I'm a fan of visual novels. There were almost no choices for dialogues and no voice overs so all I was doing was pressing a button to advance to text. At the end of the "day" you get to choose some words for your poem but at the end of the 2nd day, the same words were presented, only in random order! I'll try a bit more but howlongtobeat says its a 6+ hour game so I don't know if I can manage that lol.

I dont know why people always play horrible VNs to try to get into that genre.

I remember someone here wanted to get into that by playing the Sakura Games.

Been playing some Sanctum 2 lately. I hadn't played it since 2014 and figured it was dead, so I was pleasantly surprised there's still some people on multiplayer.

zkylon

zkylewd
DLiB5s5UIAAcmxt.jpg

Only for Zky
i feel like it'd take a very big revamp of both gameplay and story/character design for me to be interested in that series again

either that or falling into a hole of self loathing and depression that can only be remedied by killing time in the most unhealthiest of ways

few chances of the latter happening tho

bede-x

Same here. It's unbelievably slow right now.

Top Bottom