• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

thekeats

Neo Member
tHE NEW humble book bundle is weird.
It's a combination of Pathfinder PnP RPG books, Pathfinder comics and various comics from the publisher of the Pathfinder comics?

Yeah, they did this back in January with there first Worldscape collection (there combined universe thingy).

Will possibly go all in on the physical tier for this. Wouldn't mind those miniatures, even if I end up doing a crappy paint job on them.

Amzin

I'm not too worried about the builds. I suck at these games, I never dive too deep into builds and all. I finished Diablo I and loved it, but I played as a wizard and I think I only used two or three spells :p

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but I based my first build on a specific build guide and actually still struggled with the game on normal. Like, chain deaths until I wore out a miniboss type of struggled. Again, I played it shortly after the first full release so maybe they changed a lot, but when I'm trying to make a min-max build and it still struggles that kinda sucks a lot of the fun away from the amount of different things you could try, knowing they may just all fail.

I also just... don't understand why we have to have people put skill points into passive stat boosts. If it was an optional way of speccing a build, maybe OK, but it felt required to make real progress.

Respec has been in since 1.0 at least.

I only played after Early Access but there was no real way to full respec - you could find, as I understand, super rare potions that let you do it? But I never saw one, and I think at the time constellations were separate from that as well and you could only do point-by-point respecs of those?

The fact that I tried to find a way to respec and never got to do it is kind of an indication of a problem with the system to me :p Also I wouldn't even feel that bad about just making a new character if there was an un-gated way to play and level up instead of having to just go through the campaign.

The loot RNG is probably the other big thing that needed heavy reworking, I played co-op the whole way through with my brother and I often had multiple gear slots that were 10-20 levels behind, including weapons. The only reason I didn't have to grind more just to beat the game was he got lucky and found some decent weapons for me along the way.

I dunno, maybe I'll read through all the changes and new expansion notes during a slow day at work or something, because like I said, I really wanted to like the game. Maybe they've polished it up.

Jawmuncher

Just wanted to brag about my fast ass internet

asawsurh.png

This is with steam basically being allowed to take all of it for itself.

I don't even wanna look at Shadow of Wardor which is next and at 65GB.

I think Steam broke? Like even the store page is pretty empty.

Was just about to ruminate on buying Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth, too. This is probably for the best.

Sarcasm

So, Grim Dawn is heavily discounted on Steam.

Gaf, help me decide whether I should buy it or not. I love the first Diablo and an old Diablo-clone called Dark Stone because I feel the dungeons themselves were interesting and tense.

I've played the demo version of Diablo III and found it boring. Played a bit of Torchlight and found it boring. Played a bit of Path of Exile and... boring. The reason: the level design looked bland to me.

What about Grim Dawn? Are the stages creepy, tense and interesting like Diablo 1?

I got really bored. The game isn't bad, but I found it stale. Though if you got a movie to watch may not be too stale.

Tonton

There is still one unknown app on the Xseed partner sub on Steamdb. It was updated today with someone even playing it recently. Number ID seems close to Zwei though so maybe it's related to that?

I doubt it's related (aka is Zwei!!) it was probably just uploaded alongside Zwei: II

But yeah the tweeting is probably not related to that, it's probably some project they had there for a while (it seems the app was uploaded 2 years ago) that is likely still unannounced

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yeah trying to download grim dawn at work and im getting 1.5 megs max, where I usually get at least 5. RIP.

Dragonball Xenoverse 2 got some new anti-cheat DRM today, apparently? I don't remember seeing it, but it might've updated already.

I instinctively assume it'll be awful and invasive. I guess that's where I am with added DRM at this point. (Kind of ironic because I freely play Denuvo games without hesitation, like the Total Warhammer games.) But something about adding DRM post-release seems particularly heinous.
So, Grim Dawn is heavily discounted on Steam.

Gaf, help me decide whether I should buy it or not. I love the first Diablo and an old Diablo-clone called Dark Stone because I feel the dungeons themselves were interesting and tense.

I've played the demo version of Diablo III and found it boring. Played a bit of Torchlight and found it boring. Played a bit of Path of Exile and... boring. The reason: the level design looked bland to me.

What about Grim Dawn? Are the stages creepy, tense and interesting like Diablo 1?

Grim Dawn is the only ARPG that's really surpassed the greatness of Diablo 2 IMO, which is where ARPGs start and end to me. I feel it's the first genuine successor, combining fun skills, builds, and gameplay with a strong atmosphere and delicious loot. And many clever innovations, like the constellation system. (The xpac should only improve GD if you're interested in it.)

For the levels specifically, they're predominantly hand-designed IIRC so it should be a more interesting time than the random ones. It's got a very big, open map, with distinct themes for areas not unlike Diablo 2, and plenty of hidden areas. It's always worth fully exploring and even revisiting some places.

On PoE, I felt it really nailed the aesthetic of Diablo 2, but I was always put off by the loot and inventory stuff. It bothered me enough that I stopped playing it.

And Torchlight? That first one was a nice solace in a pre-Diablo 3 world, but Torchlight 2 always felt like a pale shadow of what ARPGs should be. The skills and progression were just so boring, simply numbers going up for the most part.

Edit: Forgot the big one, Diablo 3. A massive disappointment.

Grim Dawn is the only ARPG that's really surpassed the greatness of Diablo 2 IMO, which is where ARPGs start and end to me. I feel it's the first genuine successor, combining fun skills, builds, and gameplay with a strong atmosphere and delicious loot. And many clever innovations, like the constellation system. (The xpac should only improve GD if you're interested in it.)

I have a feeling some of the SteamGAFfers are going to come to your door and ask if you've heard the good news about Marvel Heroes.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (the_firewithin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Borderlands 2 -- MB-94A863636CF2F405 - Taken by Regginator. 10 entrants total.
Endless Legend - Classic Edition -- MB-4B845F4D62D8A841 - Taken by boybrushdRED. 7 entrants total.
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut -- MB-FFF9C0E358AADA16 - Taken by Catshade. 8 entrants total.

t1507779583z1.png

Zeneric

Looks like I'm gonna "demo" Shadow of War and see if I should buy it or not. Didn't like the first game - thought it was boring. Hopefully Shadow of War is a lot better and at least stays entertaining for long.

Am I gonna be banned? :(

In my defense I have almost 1k games on Steam (60-70% are AAA games and the other 30-40% are indie games). I pirate just to "demo", and/or test for stability on my PC. Piracy helps my purchasing decisions.

Looks like I'm gonna "demo" Shadow of War and see if I should buy it or not. Didn't like the first game - thought it was boring. Hopefully Shadow of War is a lot better and at least stays entertaining for long.

In my defense I have almost 1k games on Steam (60-70% are AAA games and the other 30-40% are indie games). I pirate just to "demo", and/or test for stability on my PC. Piracy helps my purchasing decisions.

There's a more appropriate way to demo a game.

Buy it, play less than 2 hours, then refund.

Endruen

I feel you. I do it sometimes too.
There's a more appropriate way to demo a game.

Buy it, play less than 2 hours, then refund.

I hope this is sarcasm over something similar a certain developer said not that long ago.
It's such a shame that most games don't get a demo nowadays...

I mean, one could just delve into their endless backlog instead of having to resort to such measures to play something just because it's brand new but that's just me.

Pixieking

Banned
Not when it's cheaper somewhere else outside Steam. Most of digital platforms/resellers outside Steam don't let you to refund.

Buy it on Steam, play for under 2 hours, make decision. Then either refund and keep your money, or refund and buy it cheaper elsewhere.

(Assuming you have the funds available to buy it through Steam initially. :) )

Not when it's cheaper somewhere else outside Steam. Most of digital platforms/resellers outside Steam don't let you refund.

Then buy on Steam, get a refund, then buy it from outside Steam.

I hope this is sarcasm over something similar a certain developer said not that long ago.
It's such a shame that most games don't get a demo nowadays...

No, it's not. What's wrong with that? You can even refund it if the game's not fun.

XTPi6eK.png

Endruen

No, it's not. What's wrong with that? You can even refund it if the game's not fun.

XTPi6eK.png

Well, aside from the chance of Steam raising an eyebrow due to too many "demos", it's not the same to download a free demo and then pay for a full game if you like it, and to pay for a full game upfront and hoping you like it in order to not ask for a refund.

Well, aside from the chance of Steam raising an eyebrow due to too many "demos", it's not the same to download a free demo and then pay for a full game if you like it, and to pay for a full game upfront and hoping you like it in order to not ask for a refund.

I mean, in a perfect world where every game has a demo, that would be true. But we're not in such world. What I'm saying is that at least we're still complying to the system, not resorting to piracy due to the lack of demo. It's a legit and proper way to test your videogames which is even encouraged by Valve.

Endruen

I mean, in a perfect world where every game has a demo, that would be true. But we're not in such world. What I'm saying is that at least we're still complying to the system, not resorting to piracy due to the lack of demo. It's a legit and proper way to test your videogames which is even encouraged by Valve.

It still requires $60.

Top Bottom