• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel81

I want to change things up. How did all of you get into PC gaming and/or steamGaf?

After a few years with the NES(88-91), my parents purchased a 386 PC. The first game that they purchased for me was Laura Bow The Dagger of Amon Ra and that got me into the Sierra line of adventure games(King's Quest, Quest for Glory Police Quest, Willy Beamish, etc.). Family friends helped me work with DOS and learn the command line system. There were also various Flight simulators and Sim City in the mix along PnC games. Overall, a much more cerebral experience to what consoles(SNES/Genesis) provided at the time.

By 1995, it was becoming long in the tooth and newer games required Win 95 and a CD-ROM drive. My folks weren't interested in getting a new one, so I purchased myself a PSOne instead. By '98, when we did finally get a new PC, I had grown accustomed to console genres(JRPGs, fighting games). Nevertheless, Blade runner was one of my first forays back, and it was a great title.

(Skip to '09)With all the DLC shenanigans, I decided to move over primarily to PC gaming. It wasn't till a few years ago that I really embraced DD-only, but the convenience and sales won me over. That was around the time that I got myself a GAF account, and after a while I'd started lurking in this thread. Now it's the one I follow the most.

Corpekata

Banned
I almost can't believe it's not possible to cancel a co-op game search in Unity. Now I have to either exit to the desktop (because there's no option to exit to the main menu like almost every other game ever) or wait for Unity to find a game just so I can quit it.

You should be able to, I did it the other day. I want to say it was holding Select but I'm not certain.

I think you might have the issue I had at launch. I couldn't cancel searches then either, but that's because online was broken in every way for me, and I would have to do what you described. After a few patches, it works normally.

Kagemusha

Tandy 1000 was my first experience with DOS. I was 8 years old. Played Operation Neptune, Ancient Empires and King's Quest V.

I think we had that Tandy for 7 years. The next family computer was a 1996 Vaio. I wanted to like Dark Forces II and MechWarrior but I had trouble with the controls and getting the frame rate to a playable level. I was still a SNES and PlayStaion fan at the time and I don't recall ever finishing a PC game. 

I bought my first PC in 2007 with Cyrsis. I paid full retail price for Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead but played only a few hours. I was too enamored with Metroid Prime 3 and Lost Odyssey to care about PC.

Paid full retail for Skyrim. I upgraded my graphics card to a 2 GB GTX 560 because I wanted better cobwebs in dungeons. I have no ragrats.

Wasn't until 2012 that I really started to get into PC gaming. Portal 2, XCOM and the THQ Humble bundle in the same year.

Sarcasm

So I started playing Darkest Dungeon...the biggest problem I've encountered so far is replacing the heroes I have sent to the tavern/sanitarium. My last 2-3 hero pools have been Crusader heavy and I need a healer!

That is why you should upgrade the hero pool in the carriage to at least show four, I have it at five.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You should be able to, I did it the other day. I want to say it was holding Select but I'm not certain.

I think you might have the issue I had at launch. I couldn't cancel searches then either, but that's because online was broken in every way for me, and I would have to do that. After a few patches, it works normally.

I think the first time I accidentally opted for a co-op game (seriously, why on earth is it X = Private/Y = Public while in the game proper but the inverse when viewing the missions on the map?), the option appeared for a split second before disappearing forever.

Corpekata

Banned
I will say it is impressive how broken it is still. In the GAF brotherhood it STILL reports every member as my own name to me. LIke how does that not get fixed?

dex3108

HBAO+ added to LEGO The Hobbit, SS Reflections and everything else turned on in config file and AA is enhanced with Nvidia Inspector too :D

No HBAO+
16373806947_fcda43e2a1_o.png
HBAO+ Version 1
HBAO+ Version 2 (i am using this one)

JaseC

I will say it is impressive how broken it is still. In the GAF brotherhood it STILL reports every member as my own name to me. LIke how does that not get fixed?

I have a similar issue with Far Cry 4 in that my Uplay name as reported in-game is my original one (I'd changed it to GrrImAFridge a week or two earlier). I haven't played the game in quite a while, though, so maybe it's been fixed... but I have my doubts as it has literally gone backwards with each subsequent patch.

titch

I used to play games such as Hostages

Forgot all about that game - it was ace.

still no GUNWORLD keys for groupees remute does time really exist bundle :(

Keys were sent out this morning for LazyGuys bundle so hopefully they are on the way.

Still nobody plays Crystal Story II but me, even if I keep repeating how fun it is. Everybody is at fault at going for shiny expensive things, but me (><)
I again can't beat a certain postgame optional boss btw, but I will, if even it will take another 10 hours!

I will play it at some point.......

derExperte

Is it 5 good hours or 5 bad hours?

Depends on how much you like cutscenes.

I realize that it's kinda ridiculous to break a game down like this and playing on hard (which I'll do) will take longer but there are still a lot of non-interactive sections and unskippable cutscenes already killed any replayability of Max Payne 3 for me while I ran through for example Vanquish two times consecutively.

Arthea

I don't believe you, you weren't even a sperm in your father's testicles when PC gaming started.
(1952 if anyone's curious. We're old geezers, Arthea, but not this old)

1952? what do you even mean? that's not when PC gaming started... You are more or less 20 years off!
Well maybe there is some very obscure stuff from that time, I was talking about actual gaming!

I remember back in the olden days, that I installed an 8gb hard drive and thought 'It's impossible to ever fill that up'. Played a lot of Civilisation 2 and Command and Conquer back then, those were fantastic.

I've heard it said that Computer Lie #1 is "You'll never use all that disk space."

With MP3 did they patch it in a way you could skip most cutscenes. Problem was the majority of them end with Max being pretty much in the center of a shootout and it caught me off-guard everytime (this was on my first playthrough), so opted to not skip them, so I could get prepared lol

Knurek

HBAO+ added to LEGO The Hobbit, SS Reflections and everything else turned on in config file and AA is enhanced with Nvidia Inspector too :D

No HBAO+

HBAO+ Version 1

HBAO+ Version 2 (i am using this one)

I'm sorry, is there any difference between them? Can't seem to find anything...
Anyone else thinks AO is the most unneeded graphic 'enhancement'? Usually the cost of enabling it is severe, and the actual IQ increase barely noticeable...

1952? what do you even mean? that's not when PC gaming started... You are more or less 20 years off!
Well maybe there is some very obscure stuff from that time, I was talking about actual gaming!

First PC game, 1952
Second, way more well known PC game, 1961
First popular home PC with tonnes of games, 1977
(Were you born before 1977?)

JaseC

With MP3 did they patch it in a way you could skip most cutscenes. Problem was the majority of them end with Max being pretty much in the center of a shootout and it caught me off-guard everytime (this was on my first playthrough), so opted to not skip them, so I could get prepared lol

Nope. IIRC, the game's shorter cutscenes are real-time and these are skippable, but the bulk aren't.

HoosTrax

I didn't want to harp on the fps issue when I first booted up FFIV, but even with a turn based game, the battle menu input lag is proving to be kind of annoying.

Was the original CD version of FF7 PC capped at 15 fps in battles? If it was, apparently it didn't bother me enough to keep me from playing it to the end multiple times...

Nope. IIRC, the game's shorter cutscenes are real-time and these are skippable, but the bulk aren't.

All I know is, when I first tried it out, I couldn't skip the opening terrace party cutscene, but when I got back to it after weeks, I could. And that was long (at least it felt like it lol). And as you said, I could skip the shorter ones.

I didn't want to harp on the fps issue when I first booted up FFIV, but even with a turn based game, the battle menu input lag is proving to be kind of annoying.

Was the original CD version of FF7 PC capped at 15 fps in battles? If it was, apparently it didn't bother me enough to keep me from playing it to the end multiple times...
I'm in the same boat as you actually, it's weird but the 15FPS in FF4 feels way slower than the 15FPS in FF7, no idea how that works or if I'm just imagining something, but FF4 does feel slower during battles.

edit:

Woo!
Another foil, this one is from Lili: Child of Geos, a rather decent casual game that's got a fantastic art style.

dex3108

Anyone else thinks AO is the most unneeded graphic 'enhancement'? Usually the cost of enabling it is severe, and the actual IQ increase barely noticeable...

Open them in separate tabs and then switch between them and you will see difference.

What resolution is in your game ?

It is 1080p but you need to set it in config file because in game setting doesn't work for some reason.

derExperte

Quite the opposite, AO might look rather subtle at first glance in screenshots but there are few features that make a larger difference while playing as the game immediately looks more 'real'.

Just look at the steering wheel in the comparison, looks very 2d without AO but gets depth with.

Arthea

First PC game, 1952
Second, way more well known PC game, 1961
First popular home PC with tonnes of games, 1977
(Were you born before 1977?)

no difference that I can see

Actually isn't the first PC game Pong? Although I consider Star Trek the first game
(which I played btw)
yeah, I was, but let's not talk about it (><)

JaseC

I just noticed that AssCreed Rogue's DDE includes a handful of time saver packs. I hope they're separate DLC apps a la Black Flag so I can choose not to activate them.

I want to change things up. How did all of you get into PC gaming and/or steamGaf?

PC Gaming - Pretty much playing Diabo 2 and Warcraft 3 with my
younger
brother growing up. We gamed quite a bit on consoles (NBA Live 90's editions), but would spend hours co-oping through Diablo2 and the expansion. Good shit.

Then things slowly progressed until I built my PC a few years back through the 'i need a new pc' thread here, which led me to here a couple summer seals ago. 660 games later...here we are.

Its time.

B-Cl2p7CcAIxoSL.jpg:medium

see you in 5 hours

LMBO now there's a spreadsheet of exactly how long each part of The Order takes and percentages of Gameplay / QTE's and cutscenes in the The Order thread.

What a day to be alive

derExperte

Sunless Sea QL: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-sunless-sea/2300-9946/ And Lisa: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-lisa/2300-9933/

Cities: Skylines gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMf6EO73ryk

Like why do you get a review copy tho? Not that I care for that game, I already know its doodoo, but what makes you so special? As a matter a fact, IDC anymore, let's settle it in smash(at 7pm est)

He invented a fake language and convinced everyone he's writing reviews in it. Get on his level.

HoosTrax

I'm in the same boat as you actually, it's weird but the 15FPS in FF4 feels way slower than the 15FPS in FF7, no idea how that works or if I'm just imagining something, but FF4 does feel slower during battles.

edit:

Woo!
Another foil, this one is from Lili: Child of Geos, a rather decent casual game that's got a fantastic art style.
Heh, speaking of foil...

Guess all that lag aggravation was worth it. By far the most valuable foil I've gotten up to this point.

Nete

I was born and there was already a MSX2 in my house, used by my father and brothers. With 2 years I started to smash the keyboard and trying to play things, and I never stopped. From the MSX and the horde of Konami masterpieces (which I still have working perfectly) we passed to each iteration of the x86 with Lucasarts as my new God, and later to a powerful Pentium II @400MHz. The first PC I bought with my own money was a Pentium 4 @1.7GHz on the early '00s.

I can't remember how I discovered GAF, but was some years ago. I just didn't had a valid email to register until last year, as somehow the account provided by my ISP wasn't good enough :p. Once I got in, SteamGAF was a natural place to me, although I don't exactly meet the "regular poster" criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom