• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
And I can not understand why titles like Mutant Mudds or La Mulana still arent greenlighted, when worse games or "Prototypes" or Games that will come out 2014 are greenlighted...

Yeah those two were specifically games I was thinking of. The fact that they will greenlight things whose pages contain pretty much nothing but concept art but pass on acclaimed titles like these is sickening

dreamfall

Have people been Greenlighting Sports games? I definitely am excited about Pro-Wrestling X (Here); but hell, I was a little over eager.

I checked out the site, and supported to play the Alpha. There's a ton of potential, but some real fundamental problems exist. It's very difficult to initiate grapple animations, and ground attacks are severely limited. It doesn't have that feel of the WWF No Mercy inspired game they're going for. It's nice that it has Gamepad support, but it feels lacking. It's an early build, and I'm excited, but damn. I jumped too quickly!

I want more Sport titles on Steam!

shaowebb

Have people been Greenlighting Sports games? I definitely am excited about Pro-Wrestling X (Here); but hell, I was a little over eager.

I checked out the site, and supported to play the Alpha. There's a ton of potential, but some real fundamental problems exist. It's very difficult to initiate grapple animations, and ground attacks are severely limited. It doesn't have that feel of the WWF No Mercy inspired game they're going for. It's nice that it has Gamepad support, but it feels lacking. It's an early build, and I'm excited, but damn. I jumped too quickly!

I want more Sport titles on Steam!

And here I thought I was the only one here who knew of Dave Wishnowski's 10 year project that he wouldn't let die.
No shit. Hes been at this project for a decade. This is the first playable he's had of PWX. I was on the mailing list for 10 years on it and never unsubscribed and he's been through everything from odd funding and backers pulling, to engine purchases gone sour, to changing studios to another country, to having a crew, to not having anything but interns and dedication.

The guy is dedicated to his dream and doesn't quit even when any sane person would. Hell when he started he didn't even have any sort of education in building games. He was literally going on "for the fans/by the fans" to put together a team of folks with that training who believed in his goal. I got to admire that at least...he's dedicated to the dream of a good wrestling game again. Sad he went through so many amazingly huge events that kept threatening to end this. Nice to see him this far though. Its got potential he just doesn't have crew and needs any revenue and support he can get to draw back in backers to fund more crew.

jediyoshi

Then Valve changed it and even Indieteams, who already have Games on Steam, need to go through the hassle of Greenlight to get their Games on Steam...

Which games? Looking at the specials section of steam right now and I don't recall greenlight pages for any of the indie games from teams who've already previously released something.

demidar

Which games? Looking at the specials section of steam right now and I don't recall greenlight pages for any of the indie games from teams who've already previously released something.

Wadjet Eye games is the only one I can think of. There already had games (Gemini Rue, Resonance) on Steam but had to go through Greenlight for Primordia and was released through Greenlight.

The games by Nyu Media e.g.
They already has 3 or 4 Games on Steam.

The same with Rockin Android.

But what I mean is, if you are an Indiedeveloper/publisher, who already released a Game on Steam, you still need to use Steam Greenlight now.

Wok

IGF Finalists Get Greenlight
Valve would like to congratulate all 28 Main Competition finalists announced this week by the Independent Games Festival (IGF). As part of this year's event, Valve is offering all IGF Main Competition finalists a Steam distribution agreement for games available on PC, Mac and Linux. Two of the finalists, Kentucky Route Zero and Incredipede are already on Steam Greenlight and their nominations means they go straight to the Greenlit category and into talks of distribution!

Kentucky Route Zero is a magical realist adventure game about a secret highway in the caves beneath Kentucky, and the mysterious folks who travel it. Gameplay is inspired by point-and-click adventure games (like the classic Monkey Island or King's Quest series, or more recently Telltale's Walking Dead series), but focused on characterization, atmosphere and storytelling rather than clever puzzles or challenges of skill. The game is developed by Cardboard Computer (Jake Elliott and Tamas Kemenczy).

Incredipede is a puzzle game that celebrates the vast diversity of life in the world. The game follows Quozzle, a lone Incredipede on a quest to rescue her sisters. She has a unique ability to grow new arms and legs wherever she needs them, transforming into a snake, a spider, a horse, a monkey - anything you can imagine. You can give her antlers or a tail, use nature as a blueprint or strike out in weird new directions. Control Quozzle as she learns to swing through the trees, climb sheer cliffs, dance over rivers of lava, and even soar through the air on thermal winds. Incredipede features 60 levels in three beautifully crafted worlds.

And don’t forget to keep voting for your favorite games and software! The next batch of Greenlit games will be announced January 15.

What does that mean? If a game is not all three PC/Mac/Linux, then it won't get greenlit?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1299553918913416686

The IGF Finalists have been Greenlit. Two of them (Kentucky Route Zero, Incredipede) are already on Greenlight, so their status has been upgraded.

The next batch is still scheduled for the 15th.

Good news.

1. Kentucky Route Zero
  2. Little Inferno
  3. Cart Life
  4. Hotline Miami
  5. FTL: Faster Than Light
  6. Dys4ia
  7. Gone Home
  8. Thirty Flights of Loving
  9. Starseed Pilgrim
  10. Super Hexagon
  11. 140
  12. 7 Grand Steps
  13. Spaceteam
  14. Incredipede
  15. Year Walk
  16. StarForge
  17. Perspective
  18. Intrusion 2
  19. Pixeljunk 4AM
  20. Bientôt l'été
  21. MirrorMoon
  22. Guacalamelee!
  23. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
  24. LiquidSketch
  25. Samurai Gunn
  26. Super Space ______
  27. Bad Hotel
  28. VESPER.5

Twenty games left.

Card Boy

Banned
I have voted on 1000 titles and only 75 have gotten my approval. These games just outright suck.

100 of the games are Layernet trash sims and iOS ports and every comment is full of people begging for Linux support or Russian trolls spamming.

Wok

I have voted on 1000 titles and only 75 have gotten my approval. These games just outright suck.

100 of the games are Layernet trash sims and iOS ports and every comment is full of people begging for Linux support or Russian trolls spamming.

You think you are being selective? Only 8 have gotten my approval and are not greenlit yet.

Just saw on Tumblr that The Bancast are running a livestream on the 14th to make people interested in the fact that Love+ is still trying to be greenlit:

DxUZm.jpg

More details along with the prize and raffle information can be found on the tumblr post

Personally, I'm not a total fan of the idea of raffle tickets on a livestream, but Love+ itself actually looks like a pretty cool game for $1.99.

Wok

Even less: 1 dollar.

The new IndieGameStand game is Love+
. It's a Super Meat Boy-esque platformer with Lode Runner-style graphics. $1 for the Desura key; beat the average to get the soundtrack and the original game (Love) too.

Greenlight

(The Greenlight page also has a link to a 2-level demo)

The game is not bad, but it is really short. I have finished it already (11 levels) in about 45 minutes in easy mode. Currently ranked #53 on the leaderboard.

HoosTrax

This is kind of weird. If they didn't apply to Greenlight previously, do they now have to do so as a matter of formality and still pay up $100. Or do they bypass that, I wonder.

Also, I think it might already have been mentioned, but some of those IGF finalists are not PC games (iOS, PS3 etc).

Not sure if I like Love+ for the music or the game. Still $2 not a high price to find out. Is Valve fast tracking honourable mentions from the IGF? I'm sure there's a ton of solid games in there that will get overlooked slightly.

Also some of those games just straight up will never work on Steam.. Space team is an iOS game through and through.

Question on Greenlight, if a game is greenlit that only means that it is guaranteed to be on Steam when it's done right? A game can be greenlit even if it isn't done?

Platy

Question on Greenlight, if a game is greenlit that only means that it is guaranteed to be on Steam when it's done right? A game can be greenlit even if it isn't done?

Dream was greenlighted and after a while it asked for a KICKSTARTER to fund it being finished =P

So yeah ... it only means that when the creators want, the game will be on steam

HoosTrax

I want to say that they shouldn't allow that practice...but somehow, I just know that it's going to end up resulting in even more beta games that the developers aren't honest about the status of (like Towns, I guess?)

allansm

I want to say that they shouldn't allow that practice...but somehow, I just know that it's going to end up resulting in even more beta games that the developers aren't honest about the status of (like Towns, I guess?)

They really should do something about this. Dream, for example, might not even be finished as the kickstarter failed and the devs are out of money, and even if they manage to complete the game, it will take at least a year. Games already released should be the priority.

Blizzard

Banned
They really should do something about this. Dream, for example, might not even be finished as the kickstarter failed and the devs are out of money, and even if they manage to complete the game, it will take at least a year. Games already released should be the priority.
I tend to agree. Like Hoostrax said, people might not be honest about the state of their games, but if a game is already released, especially if it's already released on PC, I would probably prefer those games got priority (if Valve considers them of reasonable quality?).

Also, it would really be nice if Valve would make Steamworks available to say, people in the top 100, so they could go ahead and finish their game's Steam integration and be ready to go if Greenlight hits. This could be especially important for say, multiplayer games that use matchmaking.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Full set:

The latest software titles (see all Greenlit software here)
articy:draft | Game Design Tool
GroBoto - Modeling App

New latst games (see all Greenlit games here)
Akaneiro: Demon Hunters
Asylum
DLC Quest
Eador. Masters of the Broken World
La-Mulana
Leisure Suit Larry
MaK
The Age of Decadence
Unepic
War For The Overworld

HoosTrax

Full set:
Some of those are a ways away from being ready for release :|

La-Mulana - gold
DLC Quest - gold? (XNA porting?)
Unepic - gold? (XNA porting?)

Akaneiro: Demon Hunters - er, I have no idea anymore

Eador. Masters of the Broken World - Q1 2013
Leisure Suit Larry - Q1 2013
War For The Overworld - Aug 2013
Asylum - Oct 2013
The Age of Decadence - Oct 2013
MaK - Q4 2013

jediyoshi

Nice to see Akaneiro get greenlit, sounds like sh has been bustin their butts on it lately.

H3DOQ.jpg

But what I mean is, if you are an Indiedeveloper/publisher, who already released a Game on Steam, you still need to use Steam Greenlight now.

I don't know, I'm looking at gaijin games who released bt runner having runner2 up. klei who did shank having don't starve up. tomorrow corp which only has people from 2d boy having little inferno up. All self published, not even a case of mark of the ninja with klei where ms was publishing it. I'm not totally under the impression that whether Greenlight existed or not that the more successful devs wouldn't still get a pass while others would still have to go through the old submission process.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DLC Quest was part of an Indie Royale bundle, so I assume they'll be giving purchasers their keys. It's a neat little 30 minute game.

Unepic was part of an Indie Royale bundle as well.

Christ the Steam community has been terrible at choosing games.

I've voted yes to maybe 400 titles on Greenlight, so I'm a generous guy, but I've actually voted no to most of those titles that have ended up Greenlit hahaha

Goody

Neat. I guess I'll probably get a DLC Quest key since I got it off an Indie Royale bundle a while back.

Super stoked about La-Mulana though. It's what I've been waiting for this whole time with Greenlight. And I got that Groupees key coming to me, too.

Excited about Unepic as well, since I can never get enough adventure platformers, but something seems a little off about the game and I'm just a little surprised it got greenlit.

Wok

Akaneiro: Demon Hunters - er, I have no idea anymore

Open-beta this month. And there is a kickstarter with 18 days left:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spicyhorse/akaneiro-demon-hunters

Come on, Steam, there are still 7 games to greenlight!

Christ the Steam community has been terrible at choosing games.

Yep. Asylum looks like a bad game that nearly nobody will buy.

Akaneiro: Demon Hunters (seems to be cool)
DLC Quest (short but really really great)
Eador. Masters of the Broken World (srsly?)
La-Mulana (finally)
Leisure Suit Larry (meh)
MaK (looks interesting)
The Age of Decadence (meh)
Unepic (meh)
War For The Overworld (cool)

Wok

La-Mulana (finally)
Leisure Suit Larry (meh)
MaK (looks interesting)
Unepic (meh)

In my opinion, La-Mulana is the only good game from this batch (I have not played Unepic though). Some are promising, but it is very unclear whether they will be good games, I doubt it personally.

I played an hour or so of Unepic when it was in the Indie Royale bundle and I enjoyed it. I'd have to play more to say much beyond that, but it seemed to be a worthwhile title.

wrowa

La-Mulana (finally)
Leisure Suit Larry (meh)
MaK (looks interesting)
Unepic (meh)

I think Asylum actually looks pretty great. Judging by the trailers and screenshots on the Greenlight page, they really seem to nail the atmosphere they are going for perfectly. However, it's next to impossible to judge an adventure game like this based on non-playable material and for my liking they are taking the "old school first person adventure" gimmick a little too far (no free movement, instead "static environments" even though the game is fully 3D). I don't see a reason to dismiss it yet, though. Could shape up to be a really cool thing.

And what's so bad about Eador? Again, just judging by its Greenlight page, it looks pretty good? Turn-based strategy with an interesting setting and nice graphics? What's to say against that?

Unepic looks okay, Age of Decadence has terrible graphics but again is a game you can't really judge based on screens and trailers, Larry looks good for what it is, War for the Overworld is... shockingly ugly, but I have no clue what kind of game it is, MaK looks interesting.

I don't know, besides the uncertainty whether any of these games shape up to be good games, I don't find many reasons to say that they've been chosen with "bad taste". It really is stupid that Valve doesn't regard finished and work-in-progresses seperately, though. It's really sad to see games that a) still have half a year to go and b) are of uncertain quality prevent other games from being greenlit. That stuff like Gray Matter isn't seeing a Steam release is a real shame.

deejay

Unepic should've been greenlit sooner. I'm glad it's finally coming (hopefully before the multiplayer update). *Crosses fingers*

epmode

FYI, Age of Decadence has been in development for forever and it might just be an excellent old-style RPG. A demo is available here: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

It's a worthy inclusion.

Also, Eador is kind of incredible. The only issue is that a 3D remake is in development right now.

Good to see La-Mulana, Leisure Suit Larry, DLC Quest, and that new Spicy Horse game made it. Finally some games I've got real interest in.

Edit: Oh, I forgot McPixel was Greenlit months ago.

Top Bottom