• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

My stats are:

263 thumbs up
719 thumbs down

I don't feel bad about it, i am trying to be honest; actually i think is quite positive.
I didn't know that we could downvote games...

So, how do you do that and how do you see the number of games you have upvoted or downvoted?

ArjanN

2014 AND their first game ever ?

Fuck this shit

It's by the dude who did Scratches. And it's not like he made the rules for greenlight.

My stats are:

263 thumbs up
719 thumbs down

I don't feel bad about it, i am trying to be honest; actually i think is quite positive.

I'm at about 80 upvotes but I only vote for stuff I know something about, if I went through everything I'd just end up making snap decisions based on nothing but a screenshot.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Anyone played Forge? I can't seem to find any topic about it. Looks sorta interesting, but want some impressions.
I had very brief play through at PAX 2012. It's kind of like Sacrifice crossed with Unreal Tournament. It's not really a MOBA, per se. It's more like a shooter with the guns replaced by magic. I thought it was well made on the surface but I didn't do a deep dive yet.

Wok

Cross-posting from the Steam thread.

Valve is into indie games. After Greenlight, which is an interesting selection process, Valve offers to "greenlight" all the finalists of the main competition of IGF 2013. That is a good piece of news since these games are usually really good indie games.

This is a better selection process than Greenlight. At least once a year. I have my fingers crossed for three games I upvoted on Greenlight and which might make it through IGF.

HoosTrax

They should offer contracts retroactively to previous IGF Finalists then.

I could have sworn that I saw Antichamber on Greenlight at one point, although I can't seem to find it on there anymore.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's my plan for Valve going forward:

- Keep enhancing Greenlight's reporting stuff. Having suggested release date is a good step. I voted for Dream, but I really wouldn't have if I thought it was a 2014 release, that's mental. Consider revising what counts as a concept and what counts as a game.
- Greenlight the top 10 every month, just as you are now.
- Fast-track or greenlight anything in the top 50 to 75 that are actually released, commercially available games... with an editorial veto for stuff that's manifestly not qualified. This helps tilt the balance towards release-ready or release-near games.
- Pick a few games as an "editor's choice" every month. Say 3-5 games, regardless of votes, based on apparent quality. If you don't want to do this, have guest editors every month (Invite Terry Cavanagh to be your first editor, let's say Derek Yu as your second, one of the guys from RPS to be your third). This helps avoid obvious oversights. The IGF thing sort of applies here as well--there's an infrastructure built up outside Valve that can make this process easier. Use it.
- Provide a clear standard for smaller publishers to get full publisher status so that they can put content on Steam without having to be greenlit. The standard obviously exists now, so codify it.

- Consider paying people for Greenlighting. I have two possible routes: One is that, say, every 100 votes gets you, say, $1 in credit on Steam. Even if the incentive is miniscule, it might get more people considering it. And it's not really all that subject to abuse, since there'd be maybe $1 in credit every month. Block new accounts from voting like you do with anything in the trading system. And the second route is a lottery. One greenlight vote (up or down) = one ticket, every month do a few draws.

Sincerely,
Stumpokapow (991 Greenlight votes)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Does greenlight notify you when a game you voted for is released? So like, in a few months or whatever when parallax is out will it remind me I wanted to buy it?

Also can I just say its staggeringly inconvenient that steam videos don't play on iOS.

Wok

They should offer contracts retroactively to previous IGF Finalists then.

I could have sworn that I saw Antichamber on Greenlight at one point, although I can't seem to find it on there anymore.

Antichamber is already planned on Steam: it has a registry entry.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

- Keep enhancing Greenlight's reporting stuff. Having suggested release date is a good step. I voted for Dream, but I really wouldn't have if I thought it was a 2014 release, that's mental. Consider revising what counts as a concept and what counts as a game.
- Fast-track or greenlight anything in the top 50 to 75 that are actually released, commercially available games... with an editorial veto for stuff that's manifestly not qualified. This helps tilt the balance towards release-ready or release-near games.
- Pick a few games as an "editor's choice" every month. Say 3-5 games, regardless of votes, based on apparent quality. If you don't want to do this, have guest editors every month (Invite Terry Cavanagh to be your first editor, let's say Derek Yu as your second, one of the guys from RPS to be your third). This helps avoid obvious oversights. The IGF thing sort of applies here as well--there's an infrastructure built up outside Valve that can make this process easier. Use it.
- Provide a clear standard for smaller publishers to get full publisher status so that they can put content on Steam without having to be greenlit. The standard obviously exists now, so codify it.

- Consider paying people for Greenlighting. I have two possible routes: One is that, say, every 100 votes gets you, say, $1 in credit on Steam. Even if the incentive is miniscule, it might get more people considering it. And it's not really all that subject to abuse, since there'd be maybe $1 in credit every month. Block new accounts from voting like you do with anything in the trading system. And the second route is a lottery. One greenlight vote (up or down) = one ticket, every month do a few draws.

Sincerely,

I like all those ideas, although the voting thing could be limited by an ammount of votes per days or weeks, so you get to choose wisely what content you vote for.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does greenlight notify you when a game you voted for is released? So like, in a few months or whatever when parallax is out will it remind me I wanted to buy it?

If you favourite it, you'll get news updates from the game in your Community stream. Presumably they will choose to put out a press release when they release on Steam.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhh, cool. Yeah, I'm really interested in becoming involved in the greenlight community but it seems so overwhelming, I've rated 10 games so far.

Nymerio

Sincerely,

I like the idea of giving users an incentive to vote. I'd also change the button from "would buy" to something else. A lot of time you see people in the comments mention that they like the idea of a game but downvote because they wouldn't buy it, even though they could see other people enjoying the game. Letting people suggest a price would also be interesting, maybe unlock that after you have accumulated a certain amount of votes.

There should also be some common format for describing your game. Maybe have developers fill out a form that describes the core elements of the game. It is really annoying having to scroll through walls of text with background story to find some description of the game mechanics.

I think I'd even go so far as put to put games that have a gameplay video into a separate category. If a game does not even have a gameplay video it does not belong into the games section. Put that into some early prototype section or something.

PS: Are some greenlight pages region restricted? I have 981 votes and it says I have voted on everything. I did go back and change some votes, maybe that reduced my vote count?

Odrion

Banned

Sincerely,
These all really need to happen. Although I think it'd be cool if each vote had a 0.5-1% chance to give you a coupon or something. Give people that MMO grind itch.

Wok

PS: Are some greenlight pages region restricted? I have 981 votes and it says I have voted on everything. I did go back and change some votes, maybe that reduced my vote count?

You cannot vote on already greenlit games. I bet you have not voted on these:
nqxzq.jpg

vaderno.jpg

I know I did vote on McPixel. I'm sure I've missed other stuff from the beginning though. fml.

It is okay, you are only 12 games behind.

Nymerio

vaderno.jpg

I know I did vote on McPixel. I'm sure I've missed other stuff from the beginning though. fml.

What if it's 12 games short of the Greenlight batch. Or 12 games short of winning every steam game ever because of the dedication of voting on 991 games?! What then? I'll never vote again.
j/k

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
A few months ago Steam launched Greenlight. A community driven approval process to get games onto the Steam store. We’ve been one of the first developers to be on Steam with our two games Ichi and Castaway Paradise. Besides that we created the Green Light Bundle, a bundle website where you can try out games that are on Greenlight. It gives developers a chance to show their games to the consumers, get some money and votes in the process. Today I’d like to share some info about how Ichi, Castaway Paradise and the Green Light Bundle are doing.

logo.png

Let’s start with the Green Light Bundle. We have released two big bundles with 9 games each and we’re now experimenting with highlighting just a single game at a time. You can purchase each bundle as a Pay What You Want sale. The first Green Light Bundle got a decent amount of exposure from the press. We sold more than 2000 bundles worth more than $10.000 in revenue. Almost all the revenue went to the developers, of course. The second bundle sold a little bit less but the average price was a bit higher, around $5.50USD. After these two big bundle we launched two small “bundles” which just one game each. These two games, Out There Somewhere and Aeon Command, skyrocketed on the Greenlight charts despite less than expected sales.

Right now we’re working on another big bundle with great games. It might take some time since it’s increasingly difficult to find great games between the hundreds of less than stellar games on Greenlight. If you know a great game that would be perfect for our bundle do not hesitate to email us at support@greenlightbundle.com.

Now on to the performance of our own games. Let’s start with Castaway Paradise. Even-though the game isn’t done we’re getting a lot of traffic on our Greenlight page. Right now we’re nearing 36.000 visitors and our little game has been favorited by almost 1.500 awesome gamers. We’re oblivious to how many upvotes we’ve gotten since Steam doesn’t disclose this information. But since we’re #81 out of hundreds of games, I think we’re doing pretty well. We’re not in the top 10 yet, so if you can spare a vote you can click on the banner below.

Ichi on the other hand is not doing so great. The steam community is pretty hardcore and a simplistic looking puzzle game don’t mix very well. Ichi is “71% on it’s way to the top 100 games” on Greenlight. Whatever that means. With almost 20.000 visitors and over 700 favorites, Ichi is about half as popular as Castaway Paradise. Since Ichi has been downloaded almost 400.000 times and Castaway Paradise is twice as popular, I can calculate a asweomely bright future for our island simulator :p

More stuff on our blog.

Wok

I came here to support and suggest that game to vote.

I posted some of my guesses for IGF finalists in different categories in the IGF thread. I could totally see Wooden Sen'Sey in Excellence in Visual Arts or Excellence in Audio.

Nuovo Award
  • Against the wall
  • Bientôt l'été
  • FRACT OSC
  • Simony
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
  • Zineth

Excellence in Design
  • Clairvoyance
  • Kairo
  • Moments of Reflection
  • Perspective
  • Super Puzzle Platformer
  • The Bridge
  • The Swapper

Technical Excellence
  • ibb and obb
  • Incredipede
  • Owlboy
  • The Iconoclasts

Excellence in Narrative

Excellence in Visual Arts

Excellence in Audio
  • Owlboy (again)
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure (again)
  • Wooden Sen'SeY (again)

Last updated on December, 12th 2012.

Hmmm there hasn't been word of a batch in December yet has there?

I wonder if they will be skipping December because of all the sales and general busy holiday season? Would suck but seems likely...

Nymerio

Yay, I'm in the 1k club as well:

01jHz.png

Got $1 for every vote I cast in my steam wallet and I now have a steam gold account.
I wish.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hmmm there hasn't been word of a batch in December yet has there?

I wonder if they will be skipping December because of all the sales and general busy holiday season? Would suck but seems likely...

I think they may be taking a break this month because they're going to be greenlighting whoever wins at the IGF.

Wok

Cross-posting because Wooden Sen'Sey is one of the very few games I have upvoted on Greenlight!

an IndieCade 2012 nominee [...] and Qasir al-Wasat are the only ones that I saw so far ...

Edit: Nothing new under the sun, but I doubt Dream will make it.

Dream, which was greenlit, will be released in September 2014. There is a kickstarter after the greenlight.

289 Backers
£3,580 pledged of £20,000 goal
15 days to go

Tizoc

OK this may sound weird to some, but what games do you guys think are worth Greenlighting? Wann give my vote to worthy contenders.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
OK this may sound weird to some, but what games do you guys think are worth Greenlighting? Wann give my vote to worthy contenders.
I've been drooling over Cannon Brawl since I first played it at PAX. It's the best artillery game since Worms: Armageddon. Judging by the lack of comments, it could really use some votes right now. There's a free demo coming out soonish.

Was just coming on here to post about The Cat Lady on Greenlight but robtnik beat me to it by country mile. Needs somes votes people, I urge people to give the demo a try tis quite an unsettling game the good horror kind of way.
The Cat Lady Demo
Finally voted through the entire list I had, 1030 games voted on.
325 +
705 -

Nymerio

Voted for the Cat Lady, seems interesting.

I like greenlight far more since I've cleared my queue. It's nice to be able to keep on top of things.

Platy

I have gone through the list of candidates for the greenlight once again and these are my 66 favorites:

If you are interested in browsing some games on greenlight but are too lazy to go through the 992 current games, then it might be a good start.

The biggest omissions on your post are Love+, Shantae and Oniken

Top Bottom