• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

Wok

Yeah, just noticed that one. Looks and sounds very interesting. I might give their Indiegogo campaign some support.

Thanks, I had not noticed.

Cross-posting since some of them must already be on Greenlight.

F-Pina

Everytime they release a new batch of titles, our game gets closer and closer to the Top 100. I just hope they don't stop doing this so that when we are up there we get approved fast.

And I leave our link for voting on Steam here.
Thankyouverymuch :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Everytime they release a new batch of titles, our game gets closer and closer to the Top 100. I just hope they don't stop doing this so that when we are up there we get approved fast.

Yeah, my game the Oil Blue jumped 20% with this new batch approved to be at 72% of the way there. I'll get there eventually! :D

I'm so happy to see The Real Texas (finally!) and Jacob Jones get on there.

No worries, you'll make it. :-D

Holy Maiden vs. Maidens of the Dead got Greenlit! YES YES YES YES YES. I'm in a huge love/hate relationship with Grotesque Tactics, bear with me.

Also a bunch of cool games from Indie Bundles (Eryi's Action, 99 Spirits, Deadly 30, Oozi: Earth Adventure and Private Infiltrator). Oh, and Two Brothers!

rybrad

Yeah, my game the Oil Blue jumped 20% with this new batch approved to be at 72% of the way there. I'll get there eventually! :D
Good thing a game with an end of 2015 release date got Greenlit today and not your game that is ready to play now! I really wish Valve would take release dates into heavy consideration and give a bump to games ready to go now.

beril

Weird. Gunman Clive was at around #90 last I checked, yet wasn't greenlit in the new batch of 100, and it's still only at #20, so unless there has been major fluctuations in the last few days, they don't seem to be following the rankings that much. Still I guess it'll be in the next batch

Knurek

Weird. Gunman Clive was at around #90 last I checked, yet wasn't greenlit in the new batch of 100, and it's still only at #20, so unless there has been major fluctuations in the last few days, they don't seem to be following the rankings that much. Still I guess it'll be in the next batch

Crossing fingers for that, you really deserve to make at least a few thousand euro (on a sale down the line) for your porting effort, especially given the Desura thing you mentioned earlier.

If I may ask, have you ever tried going through Humble guys? I know your game was in Indie Royale (that's where I got it from), but that sells at the best 20x lower than the Humble bundles do. It's not like you have some money to lose, is it?

Lain

Glad 99 Spirits got greenlit, as well as Vanguard Princess and some others.
Still waiting on War of the Human Tanks to get greenlit though.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
There are always a few good-looking ones in each batch, but the majority don't really interest me much. My tastes just don't align very well with the mainstream Steam crowd I guess.

This is a good list. OTS should really be greenlit:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92926905

I remember voting for that one ages ago. I can't believe it hasn't been greenlit yet. I don't understand the aversion that some people have to something that could be done on a console.

Gamasutra put up an article Revisiting Greenlight

Gamasutra talked to a variety of developers -- some with games on Greenlight, others whose games have been through the Greenlight process and are now on Steam -- to get their thoughts on where Greenlight is now.

The following Q&A piece has been split up in such a way that each question will be followed by answers from those developers who are still looking to get Greenlighted, and answers from those who have been Greenlighted immediately afterwards. This is so that it is easier to compare and contrast answers from the two groups of developers.

It's 6 pages long, still in the process of reading, thought people would be interested.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
One developer complains that if PopCap--he compares his game to theirs--had to go through Greenlight, they'd never have been picked, but later concedes that when he put his game on Greenlight it was nowhere near ready in terms of presentation and got 75% no votes. No context is provided to note the logical omission.

In general the developers who seem more negative are the developers who expect Greenlight to be their promotional campaign, rather than a target to send external campaigns to. There are people like me who vote on everything, but mostly the stuff that shoots up the charts is because of an external audience. You need to cultivate that audience as the more optimistic developers quoted have.

The criticism that Greenlight has mostly produced 3d shooters seems conspicuously shallow.

The vote threshold for being Greenlight is 5 or more times lower than it was. At some point it becomes more a matter of a game simply not attracting any attention. It's sad when something high quality doesn't get attention, but it's also sad when the author of something very low quality lacks believes the system is unfair because he or she assumes his or her product is high quality and can't fathom otherwise. And I think that a lot of criticism of democratic type things tends to devolve into "why aren't the unwashed masses as smart as I am?" -- which could be a problem but requires a higher standard of evidence then "I've gotta be the smart one, I just know it."

There's plenty of stuff that I think deserves a Greenlight but hasn't got it yet. But I don't think that makes the service a failure.

One developer complains that if PopCap--he compares his game to theirs--had to go through Greenlight, they'd never have been picked, but later concedes that when he put his game on Greenlight it was nowhere near ready in terms of presentation and got 75% no votes. No context is provided to note the logical omission.

Yeah, in general that guy seemed really bitter but gave me the impression of having approached Greenlight very poorly and not done a good job in general of promoting his game -- it's the sort of thing I'd be interested in and I'd never even heard of it.

The article's also a bit less valuable than it could be because so much of the criticism is of the form "well it took me a year to get Greenlit so that sucked" -- in other words, complaining about the 10-a-month situation instead of where Greenlight is now.

That said, I thought the section about what Valve could do to improve the process was quite interesting, and there were a bunch of good ideas in there that would still make the process concretely better than it is today.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Tale of ALLTYNEX looks pretty cool, I wonder how the distrabution will be. The thing is a trilogy, and the thrid game was in the groupees build a dojin bundle too. Also, with the game being done, I would assume it should hit steam within a month.

So we have come full circle!

After being able to publish Unholy Heights to Steam directly, Playism has been sent back the Greenlight circus for at least a few of our future titles.

The first project we are putting up is a arena-based action game called Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae.

Check out the Greenlight page here:
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

As usual, once Greenlit we will give out Steam keys to anyone who has already purchased through Playism.

Unfortunately, we really cannot afford to hold back any more of our JP indie releases any longer so we are probably going to be supporting a few
Greenlight pages at the same time over the next month which is the absolute last thing I wanted to do....

However, at this point we don't have much choice!

Any support from Neogaf is appreciated!

I have a game up, currently at the 97% of the way to the top 100. At this rate, if they just keep greenlighting piles of games, it'll probably get greenlit anyways.

Blizzard

Banned

After being able to publish Unholy Heights to Steam directly, Playism has been sent back the Greenlight circus for at least a few of our future titles.

The first project we are putting up is a arena-based action game called Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae.

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

As usual, once Greenlit we will give out Steam keys to anyone who has already purchased through Playism.

Unfortunately, we really cannot afford to hold back any more of our JP indie releases any longer so we are probably going to be supporting a few
Greenlight pages at the same time over the next month which is the absolute last thing I wanted to do....

Did Valve tell you why they are sending you back to Greenlight (concerns about your game(s) having a small market?), when people like Feep are able to continue publishing games that bypass Greenlight?

Did Valve tell you why they are sending you back to Greenlight (concerns about your game(s) having a small market?), when people like Feep are able to continue publishing games that bypass Greenlight?

I don't want to say anything that makes thetrin start staring daggers at me..

but I will say it was a very non-answer at the end of the day. "We no longer consider Greenlight a barrier and want to know how to prioritize your content."

That was basically the gist of it.

edit: however, reading between the lines leads me to believe we have too much content in the pipeline and they want to send at least some of it to GL.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
edit: however, reading between the lines leads me to believe we have too much content in the pipeline and they want to send at least some of it to GL.

The way I read it was that they wanted us to use GL as a way to gauge interest and see which game would have the biggest impact on the Steam community. It seems like a roundabout way to do so, but that was my takeaway.

Who really knows? I'm just hoping Mitsurugi gets the exposure on Greenlight that it deserves.

Blizzard

Banned
Interesting, thanks for the responses. It may indeed be different in cases where there's a small publisher of a single game, versus a publisher with multiple games/a bunch of content.

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

Forgot to follow you on Greenlight after La-Mulana, won't being making that mistake twice. Hope you don't have too much trouble getting past the pearly green gates.

vall03

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

Can't believe we are seeing this game on Greenlight, makes me wish someone would be able to get Astebreed too.

Can't believe we are seeing this game on Greenlight, makes me wish someone would be able to get Astebreed too.

Who knows what the future holds....

I think Edelweiss is planning to have Astebreed done by Winter Comiket, but I am not sure at this point.

Really looking forward to playing the final version. The demo from Summer Comiket was amazing fun. Although I am a sucker for ANY shmup that gives you a sword attack ;p

One Way Heroics Greenlgiht page

1F7F299DB99797B9D86F9A2F001BD8966D7EE1BF

In One Way Heroics, you take on the role of an intrepid adventurer who must travel across the land and face the Demon Lord before a mysterious darkness engulfs everything.

Darkness always approaches from the left, and with each movement, attack and action you take, the darkness creeps ever closer. Forced to run right, you'll encounter any number of monsters, allies, thieves and shops on your desperate journey to stop the end of everything.

It's localized and published by Playism.

eot

Banned
So many games.
I think this is better though, just let the games on there and give them a chance to succeed or fail.

Top Bottom