• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: Third Set of Games Revealed (Waking Mars, Primordia, and more)

Munin

The same players who are responsible for the baffling success of Farm Simulator 2012 I presume.

ETS 2 is a good game. Crazy, I know. Just because you're not interested in it doesn't mean it's irrelevant or doesn't deserve to be on Steam.

Ranger X

I really have a hard time believing people are voting Dragon's Lair and Euro Truck.

I mean REALLY? Will all the great stuff on Greenlight this is what people want to play??

DTKT

I really have a hard time believing people are voting Dragon's Lair and Euro Truck.

I mean REALLY? Will all the great stuff on Greenlight this is what people want to play??

I think the current illustration highlights my fear that some games will just be forgotten.

Wiktor

It confuses me how something like "Euro Truck Simulator 2" gets greenlit but The Pinball Arcade doesn't

Is pinball really more niche than a truck driving simulator?
yes. Honestly..out of all games Greenlighten today Euro Truck Simulator 2 not only is the best one, but also most popular one. Yes, I'm dead serious.

TaroYamada

Why are La Mulana and Shantae not on the list yet?? People have no actual taste :/

What about Oniken? This is why I hate Greenlight, I wish they'd get rid of it and go back to the way it was. This hasn't made good stuff get on the store, it's just added mostly, crap. The good stuff that slipped through the old admission process is still slipping through.

allansm

What about Oniken? This is why I hate Greenlight, I wish they'd get rid of it and go back to the way it was. This hasn't made good stuff get on the store, it's just added mostly, crap. The good stuff that slipped through the old admission process is still slipping through.

Yeah, I'm really sad this is happening. If you're game does not have zombies in it, isn't a survival game, a MMO, tower defense, shooter or a sandbox, good luck getting it approved.

HoosTrax

Yeah, I'm really sad this is happening. If you're game does not have zombies in it, isn't a survival game, a MMO, tower defense, shooter or a sandbox, good luck getting it approved.
McPixel
Primordia
Stanley Parable
Eurotruck Simulator 2
Waking Mars
Constrast
Secrets of Grindea
Octodad
Dream

Nice try. This might work better if you post an example of a genre that you think Greenlight isn't giving a fair shot. "Pinball games" could be a legitimate example. "Platformer" is not.

Feel like a bunch of these games are completely redundant being on Greenlight. Euro truck simulator is a finished retail release, it shouldn't need to go through this channel. What's next Activision has to Greenlight Call of Duty?

This whole thing is a complete waste of time to me, I'm only interested in finished games. If I'm especially interested in the development of a game I'm following their twitter or YouTube channel. I don't need another "social" network to keep track of.

allansm

McPixel
Primordia
Stanley Parable
Eurotruck Simulator 2
Waking Mars
Constrast
Secrets of Grindea
Octodad
Dream

Nice try. This might work better if you post an example of a genre that you think Greenlight isn't giving a fair shot. "Pinball games" could be a legitimate example. "Platformer" is not.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying you won't get approved, I'm saying you need luck. If you're in those genres I mentioned it is a lot easier, the greenlight community seems to really like them. Racing games, visual novels, pinball games, single player RPG's, experimental games and adventure games are good examples of neglected. Platformers is a little hard to judge because there are so many of them, I would have to look at the number of platformers submitted and greenlight to say something more concrete, but yeah, a fair number of them were approved.

VALIS

It confuses me how something like "Euro Truck Simulator 2" gets greenlit but The Pinball Arcade doesn't

Is pinball really more niche than a truck driving simulator?

This was my first thought. PA is on every platform known to man... except PC/Steam, despite Farsight badly wanting in. It's on Kindle for fuck's sake.

TaroYamada

This was my first thought. PA is on every platform known to man... except PC/Steam, despite Farsight badly wanting in. It's on Kindle for fuck's sake.

That's another of my concerns, mobile shovelware making it on. Not saying that PA is shovelware, but just because something is on kindle/iOS/Android doesn't matter. If I wanted to play games that are for the most part, similar in quality to your average flash title, I'd go to Kongregate. Honestly, already I'd take the old Steam submission process over this. I'd take the occasional game that slipped through to avoid the shovelware.

Valve should have switched to admitting games they either liked, or ones that had received positive reviews from an approved source. That would have solved all of these problems. For example, Mutant Mudds could have submitted their game with the 8.5 review from IGN, and on that basis been approved solely by the score earned under such a system.

Top Bottom