• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam has come a long way. I love it

Danydrunk

I forgot about steam for a while. Until recently that I wanted to play some hl2 deathmatch. I didnt saw much difference from last time I used steam. But recently, steam has been updated very often, to the point where it has become a very cool, solid game platform. I am getting kind of addicted to it. Today for example Psychonouts was released on steam. I never played the game originally and I didnt thought twice before buying it. I know probably I could have found it somewhere else cheaper, but now a days I prefer to have my games digitally. Its easier to keep them for a long time, I dont have to deal with cd installatilons, I can easily download them from another computer etc.

Anyone else loves steam?

I have always loved steam since I bought HL2 and I have never run into any problems with it either! Man that whole experience was so awesome! I mean downloading a game to your drive! :D

Steam is the future! Eventually all videogame companies will have their own “Steam” program

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I really love the idea of a itunes type GUI for PC games. For example, I loved the GUI for MAME32 back when I was into emulated gaming. I hope PC games in general move towards direct to drive standards.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Benadryl Hitman said:
Woah when did Steam get Psychonauts? I don't remember that there earlier this week.
It was just released today on Steam. Still thinking about whether to get it or not. :D

Doom_Bringer said:
I have always loved steam since I bought HL2 and I have never run into any problems with it either! Man that whole experience was so awesome! I mean downloading a game to your drive! :D

Steam is the future! Eventually all videogame companies will have their own “Steam” program
Yea, it's always been awesome for me. I remember unlocking HL2 with the rest of GAF...what a great moment.

ToxicAdam

Haters have a reason .. because the first 18 months of Steam was kind of touch and go. But since then, it has been a terrific on-line service.

Gattsu25

Banned
I was a Steam hater, but I have to admit that I was suprised at how well the service worked when I reinstalled it (around the time of SiN's release). It really has come a long way

Danydrunk

I think steam is the future too. And I dont think a lot of companies afford to have their own steam. And even if they can afford it, Not a lot of companies have such a loyal fanbase as valve. I love valve, its my favorite company of them all, not only because of their games but their whole vibe is so cool. Eventually there will be a few winners in the digital distribution business. Steam looks like it is going to be one of them.

Danydrunk said:
I think steam is the future too. And I dont think a lot of companies afford to have their own steam. And even if they can afford it, Not a lot of companies have such a loyal fanbase as valve. I love valve, its my favorite company of them all, not only because of their games but their whole vibe is so cool. Eventually there will be a few winners in the digital distribution business. Steam looks like it is going to be one of them.

The big ones will come up with something then they will publish games on it. EA already has a EA Downloader service and they are testing it with Battlefield games and it will eventualy turn into EA's Steam. Sony and Microsoft have expressed interest and both pretty much think service like steam is the way of the future

Danydrunk

Microsoft and sony are strong players, I know that they have the money to push something like that. But for example look at the music business. Itunes has been unmatched for a while, its not all about money or marketing power, is also about a loyal fanbase that creates a hype around the product. A microsoft download service wouldnt be cool, and they dont have an ipod to support it.

Opium

Banned
steamrally.jpg

Got to love steam :) I bought defcon from it recently.

If Steam was a woman, she'd have all my babies.

I mean look at my ****ing avatar, I love Valve and everything they do. Greatest PC developers of all time.

White Man

ToxicAdam said:
Haters have a reason .. because the first 18 months of Steam was kind of touch and go. But since then, it has been a terrific on-line service.

Haters should've had realistic expectations and understood that there was no way it could've been a rosy launch.

Danydrunk

Valve is the other developer other than nintendo that I have feeled attached to.....jejeje Im not kiddy.

the funny thing is that they have done it with only one game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Steam is excellent... but I still don't think I'll ever be happy with digital distribution.... it just seems to me like you lose the nice packaging and the sense of ownership... I suppose I want to have a physical object to attatch the game to mentally, so that I might see it one day on the shelf and be inspired to play it.. A list of games in a frontend will never be the same thing.

I'm sure this is a left brained/right brained thing (and depending on how disposable you view games)... geeks and pragmatists might be happy with a frontend for all I know, but yeah, I like having an aesthetic object to feel an attatchment to.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Why are they selling Psychonauts for 19.99, when it's 9.99 at retail? It's that kind of shit that keeps me cynical when it comes to Steam.

adg1034

Goreomedy said:
Why are they selling Psychonauts for 19.99, when it's 9.99 at retail? It's that kind of shit that keeps me cynical when it comes to Steam.

Because Double Fine deserves better than that, dammit!

FightyF

Banned
Despite minor issues with it I've always liked the idea since launch. For me, problems ended like a month after it launched and it was great.

But recently I have an issue where I can't play when I'm plugged into my router...but I can when I'm using a wireless adapter. It has nothing to do with any firewalls...it's just a really odd, bizarre issue. And so as a result when I play online my connection is worse than it should be.

So my Steam play is really restricted...though I love the service, I can't make much use of it (when it comes to online gaming). :(

Danydrunk

I knew it was cheaper in retail, its just the commodity you know, and to know that I will have the game for ever no scratches, no lost games, no space used in my desk etc

There's too much love in this thread--maybe. Let me ask: can you play offline without a hassle? I don't want to see anything more intrusive than what Xbox Live does (ie. "hey, your connection isn't on").

I haven't touched it since my first few weeks' experience, which was infuriating. If there were any justice in the world, Valve would've been forced to offer a Steam-free version everywhere, like they were in Germany (iirc). If it isn't optional, it's BS.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Leondexter said:
There's too much love in this thread--maybe. Let me ask: can you play offline without a hassle? I don't want to see anything more intrusive than what Xbox Live does (ie. "hey, your connection isn't on").
As long as you have stuff downloaded, you can play in 'offline mode' when not connected to the internets. Single player stuff (HL2 eps, bots, Psychonauts, etc.) should all be fine.

before i hated steam, but i too have also recently have fallen for steam.

and for those who havent played psychonauts..GET IT!!! one of teh best games ever

Top Bottom