• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam In-home Streaming Officially Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
I got the Beta last night and I have to say hats off to Nvidia, as I also have the shield and using the exact same set up you would not believe the difference...

with the steam streaming I feel like I am watching a youtube video....

anyone else.....

it is only Beta so plenty of time to improve it, but it just made me appreciate what a great job the shield does to do 1080p 60FPS

So, is the framerate determined by your network settings or by your main/client PC's horsepower? I was watching my PC take huge hits in framerate when trying to stream video to my laptop, like games that normally run at 60 fps running at around 15-30 fps : /

I got BF3 working the the other day. The client PC had tons of input lag, but the video was almost exactly the same as the host. I was able to control it from the host and it was fine.

I also tried it with Battlefield 4. BF4 worked amazingly. I had almost zero input lag.

Finally got in the beta, im very very impressed, I have a really low power windows 7 machine that is used exclusively for Netflix and lo and behold, now I can play most of my PC games.

One question, does anyone know why some games just say "this game does not support streaming", I got it with Prince Of Persia and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. Are they getting blocked by the pubs???

I got the Beta last night and I have to say hats off to Nvidia, as I also have the shield and using the exact same set up you would not believe the difference...

anyone else.....

it is only Beta so plenty of time to improve it, but it just made me appreciate what a great job the shield does to do 1080p 60FPS

This is interesting, because I also own a Shield and my experience is the complete opposite, Streaming using the shield has lower quality and runs slower than Steam for me. With Steam I was able to completely max out Just Cause 2, and it works nice, If I do that with Shield I get tons of lag.

Tak3n

Banned
Finally got in the beta, im very very impressed, I have a really low power windows 7 machine that is used exclusively for Netflix and lo and behold, now I can play most of my PC games.

One question, does anyone know why some games just say "this game does not support streaming", I got it with Prince Of Persia and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. Are they getting blocked by the pubs???

This is interesting, because I also own a Shield and my experience is the complete opposite, Streaming using the shield has lower quality and runs slower than Steam for me. With Steam I was able to completely max out Just Cause 2, and it works nice, If I do that with Shield I get tons of lag.

you using wired gigabit connections? as the shield is out of Beta and is listed as doing 1080p 60fps

if you are using wireless then all bets are off on the shield.... but if you are wired you need to contact support

Shambles

I was only able to test it for about 10 minutes last night. I loaded up Bastion and played over a hardline. I couldn't tell the difference between streaming it and playing it natively on my main desktop. I am fairly impressed. Latency hovered around 50ms, and I could see this being a problem on games like fighters and Bit.Trip runner. My expectations are that there will still be significant strides on latency. Looks like my next HTPC might be nothing but a low end NUC.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So now a 480p option. It's a pity there isn't a Steam streaming solution for the WiiU gamepad. It would make a perfect controller/screen for a lot of games.

Anyone playing this on a HTPC or other TV-connected device? I got a Xbox 360 controller but I'm wondering what you all are using to play games.

Im using a super low power Zotac Z-Box and PS4 DS4 in Bluetooth

Zotac_Z-Box_HD-11.jpg

zbox-displayback-il.jpg

It hangs behind my TV, its working amazingly well.

you using wired gigabit connections? as the shield is out of Beta and is listed as doing 1080p 60fps

if you are using wireless then all bets are off on the shield.... but if you are wired you need to contact support

All wireless, what kind of Adapter did you get to use Wired to the shield?

Tak3n

Banned
Im using a super low power Zotac Z-Box and PS4 DS4 in Bluetooth

Zotac_Z-Box_HD-11.jpg

zbox-displayback-il.jpg

It hangs behind my TV, its working amazingly well.

All wireless, what kind of Adapter did you get to use Wired to the shield?

ahh my old foe wireless.... on the shield...forget it, it needs wired, I even use a AC router and AC wireless card and still I get issues on wireless...

to set up wired you need the pluggable USB to Cat5 converter, Nvidias recommendation does not work

this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VSTDFG/

I am UK based, but they also list it on amazon.com...

so cat6 cable from PC to router, cat6 cable from router to the item in the link, you also need a OTG micro to USB adapter, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0064GZAIQ/

then you can plug in external controllers

then it works beautifully, when I learnt all the cables I needed I was like WTF, but it is the only way they guarantee 1080p 60fps

Steam will come to the same conclusion as well in the end, wireless is just to unrealiable

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got an invite :)
Now just need my RMA'd 7950 back :(

Hoping to stream to the Mac mini under the Tv - that'll work, right? Any way to get a wireless 360 controller hooked up to that?

wihio

Got an invite :)
Now just need my RMA'd 7950 back :(

Hoping to stream to the Mac mini under the Tv - that'll work, right? Any way to get a wireless 360 controller hooked up to that?

If you arent too far from your host, you can still hook the controller up to that!

Maybesew

Well I didn't get much play time, because I had issues last night with the kids and pets, but The Witcher 2 intro cinematic looked great. No stutter or lag at all.

Streamed from: i5 4670K with GTX 770 2GB (ethernet connection)
Streamed to: Retina MBP 2.9ghz i7 Intel HD Graphics 4000 768 MB (Wifi connection)

Gameplay will be a real test though.

1cmanny1

Has anyone gotten Minecraft to work with this? I tried and the launcher came up on the host computer, but the other one just said it lost connection.

CoG

Streamed from my 4770K/GTX 760 build to my MacBook Air over WiFi. Initial reports, pretty impressive!

- Guacamelee: Smooth. Not 60fps like the game but did not stutter at all. Responsive.
- Dark Souls: Ran pretty chuggy, but the game is chuggy. Got owned by the first encounter. Not sure if it's input lag vs me not playing in a while.
- Tomb Raider: Really smooth and responsive. Very impressive.
- Geometry Wars: Went to a black screen :(
- Witcher 2: Could not start games after Geo Wars crapped out

Will try more games later but I really am impressed. If I can get Dark Souls to run at a semi-decent rate I may not leave bed.

jediyoshi

Has anyone gotten Minecraft to work with this? I tried and the launcher came up on the host computer, but the other one just said it lost connection.

Nope. At best I've been able to fudge around with shortcuts and get my desktop streaming to display minecraft through a window, but even then performance and input were pretty broken.

Goli

Got my invite and couldn't get it to work, ever.
I first tried streaming from an iMac running Windows 7 via BootCamp to my MacBook Pro's OSX 9 partition, and then on MB's Windows 7 partition.
Everytime I tried the computers seemed to recognise each other but I got "Not Connected" on status, both were connected to the same network and both had Steam updated to the latest beta release. :/

Shambles

Streaming worked well from a 3570K + GTX 670 to a wired 3570K + 7870.
Did not work streaming from the GTX 670 to a wireless Q6600 + 7750. Got no video but sound came through fine. The latency graph would fail to reset on each from so instead of lines moving across the screen it was just a big smear. No one else seems to be having this issue. All machines are running Windows 8 and all drivers are up to date. :S

Hasney

Think that confirms for me that I'll be getting an 800 series Nvidia GPU as my next upgrade unless they get some AMD hardware solution. Best streaming possible is now my main priority.

Did not work streaming from the GTX 670 to a wireless Q6600 + 7750. Got no video but sound came through fine. The latency graph would fail to reset on each from so instead of lines moving across the screen it was just a big smear. No one else seems to be having this issue. All machines are running Windows 8 and all drivers are up to date. :S

I had this when I changed my screen setup while streaming. Did you have the resolution set at 720p/1080p ready prior to starting the stream? Might work windowed regardless.

So can anyone explain why every game I try with this it almost always streams at 15 fps? I have a 4770k i7 and a 770 gtx connected by Ethernet and my laptop is on wifi. It even runs slow on the client PC which is weird because it's not like I hav a terrible PC.

Hasney

So can anyone explain why every game I try with this it almost always streams at 15 fps? I have a 4770k i7 and a 770 gtx connected by Ethernet and my laptop is on wifi. It even runs slow on the client PC which is weird because it's not like I hav a terrible PC.

Are you getting slow network errors when you bring up the F6 graph? You may have to have the laptop wired too, the recent updates made my laptop perform like that over wireless.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Have you tried ethernet to your laptop?

Are you getting slow network errors when you bring up the F6 graph? You may have to have the laptop wired too, the recent updates made my laptop perform like that over wireless.

Have you tried ethernet to your laptop?

I havent tried wiring the laptop since the router is a bit of a hassle to get to. Still, should it impact performance on the client PC like that just because of a slow connection?

Hasney

I havent tried wiring the laptop since the router is a bit of a hassle to get to. Still, should it impact performance on the client PC like that just because of a slow connection?

Yes. Because of latency, it can't buffer the video so if the network is slow, it'll just kill the framerate.

Yes. Because of latency, it can't buffer the video so if the network is slow, it'll just kill the framerate.

Got it. I thought it was that my client PC wasn't up to snuff. I currently share my place with a roommate but I'll be on my own soon so hopefully I can get a nice wifi speed going for streaming. If not, there's always the option of a wired connection for my laptop *shudders*

So I asked before but asking again, anyone knows why some games say "game does not support streaming" Im not even trying old games, DirectX9 title Prince of Persia 2008, also get it with Chaos Theory.

Wondering if its a technology thing or publishers blocking games, I see that PoP is also not supported for family sharing, so maybe thats why?

Im also had one instance yesterday where Rayman origins after running at 60fps, all of the sudden started running at fixed 15fps, I couldnt fix it afterwards, restarting the server (game machine) worked though.

I doubt it's down to publishers. If you look at the steam forums, there's a thread where people are listing working and not-working games. Valve will look into them and fix stuff.

beta client update:

In-Home Streaming Beta
- Added streaming support for non-Steam games with mixed 32-bit and 64-bit binaries
- Changed Framerate setting to be an experimental framerate lock, please give feedback on the discussion group!
- Fixed problems with streaming at 480p resolution

grkazan12

Got into the beta yesterday, how do I start my enrollment in it though?

I go to Steam Settings and I click the drop down menu to "opt in" to beta, but nothing happens.Whenever I go back to the drop down menu it just says "None" for the beta opt section.

I've logged out, exited steam, and checked for client updates all to no avail.

Tried this out last night.

20 fps in Mirror's Edge. 30 in Metro 2033. 60 in Civilization V. 10 in Trials Evolution.

Host is an R9 270X on a Q6600 via ethernet. Client is a late-2011 Macbook Air.

Nevermind the performance. Some of these games are not actually playable on this OS. This is amazing. Strategy games in particular will now get a *lot* more play from me, since I can just play them in bed on my laptop. A huge issue with playing PC games for me is the fact that I have to be sitting at my desk with a mouse and keyboard. I haven't had an ideal laptop for playing them in bed or on a couch before now.

I doubt it's down to publishers. If you look at the steam forums, there's a thread where people are listing working and not-working games. Valve will look into them and fix stuff.

beta client update:

Does this mean I can now stream Starcraft 2 and Guild Wars 2?

Edit:

I go to Steam Settings and I click the drop down menu to "opt in" to beta, but nothing happens.Whenever I go back to the drop down menu it just says "None" for the beta opt section.

Install the beta, reboot, and log in to Steam on both machines.

Kinthalis

Banned
So best results so far for me have been when my remote PC has a wired connection on a gigabit network to the streaming PC. Pretty much flawless performance and latency that is either too subtle to notice or bearable, at least in most games I tried. Obviously some games just don't work, or don't work well, but I don't think this is an issue with the stremaing technology so much as an issue with compatability with hat particular game.

For wireless you basically need an amazing, fast, wireless setup, and even then range and interference from other devices/networks will play a role.

So far the best wireless experience was at a friend's home office. He's got a couple of these bad boys:

http://www.cablesandkits.com/cisco-...cagpspn=pla"&gclid=COy2rsPHtbwCFXNp7AodvxEApg

Enterprise level wireless access points. With those the experience clear accross the house was fairly near to what the wired experience was.

I think if wireless is a big deal for you for the shield and for Steam streaming (and correct me if I'm wrong, but won't Steam streaming eventually utilze the Nvidia hardware and thereby improve latency? I remember reading about their collaboraiton on this feature) then forget consumer grade wireless and go enterprice.

When you opted in the first time, did it download anything?

UnrealEck

anyone else.....

For me the quality is exceptionally good. It's pretty much like a FRAPS video, or almost indistinguishable from the game being rendered locally.

No, when I click the option to "Opt In" and the OK, nothing really happens. No dialog menu pops up. How do I know if I have streaming beta already installed?

weird, once you opt-in it should download an update and restart steam.

Are you sure there's no in-home streaming in your settings?

Maybe something's blocking steam from getting updates. Might have to delete clientregistry.blob, but not sure. Ask in the steam thread, JaseC and co are better versed in this.

Twinduct

So assume everyone is having trouble streaming Borderlands 2?

Played race the sun (twitch runner) and it's crazy smooth. Still deciding if I want to test it via my mac which is hooked to the TV.

Can I stream games inside BPM?

Can't get past the start menu in XCOM (although I think the issue might be my Pinnacle profile being activated for some reason), Metal Gear Rising is somewhat playable despite frame rates wildly varying between 30-60 FPS (I only did tutorial VR missions), Shadowrun Returns works until you get to the menu screen (because there's no controller support).

This is from a i5-350K/GTX560 Ti 448, on automatic bandwidth/framerate, set to 720P, and going from 5Ghz WiFi to an ethernet connected Core 2 Duo PC in the next room.

Does this mean I can now stream Starcraft 2 and Guild Wars 2?

yes, they expanded that bit in the description

Here are the patch notes for the latest beta update:

Added streaming support for non-Steam games with mixed 32-bit and 64-bit binaries (e.g. Blizzard games)
Changed Framerate setting to be an experimental framerate lock, please give feedback on the discussion group!
Fixed problems with streaming at 480p resolution

Please try out setting the framerate to 60 FPS and report how that experience differs from setting it to Automatic.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom