• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterM

Wow. That could be it. I remember my TV showing 24hz when the game started but I thought that was only for the intro movies.

Is there a way to force 60hz for fullscreen ?

Try fullscreen window if the game allows or try alt-tabbing in and out a few times.

I play on an HDTV and have had to do this for multiple games, Ubi games are the worst culprit. I had to edit a config file to get Payday 2 to run at 60fps rather than 24.

Arthea

I've only written one negative review so far, my review made its way to the top of the pile and the game was pulled from steam shortly after. I'm not saying it was aliens but...

Of course it had nothing to do with me, but I agree with you, I could write a long diatribe on FootLOL, but I just uninstalled it and tried to forget it ever existed.

almost missed this post.
I like FootLOL... it's just stupid fun, how can you hate it?

If you have bought any bundle from Bundle In A Box, please beware.
http://blog.bundle-in-a-box.com/?p=1131

Thanks for posting it.

Copons

Happy birthday my friend. From one 30-something to another, the best advice I can give you is "Never trade your beard for a tie."

I won't!

Also because I don't know how to tie a tie and anyway I'm too lazy to keep my beard shaved everyday. I mean who can even afford to spend all that time shaving everyday? It's preposterous! I shave only when the ratio food eaten / food stuck in beard is too unbalanced, and I firmly believe the rest of the world should adjust to it as soon as possible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That Russian Steam Enhanc...ing addon seems to be pretty useless and mostly just designed for Russian resellers. All of the features are basically designed to make it easier to run a resale store for a profit. None seem to actually improve the Steam experience for a conventional user.

Also it's apparently not in development because the author joined the Russian army for a year.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being "the video games guy", as long as you also try to balance your life out with a few other things as well. For example, I feel like the two things that define me are my family, and video games, in that order.

But everyone I know (even my family) lovingly refers to me as "the video games guy".

Oh right, same here. My friends come to me for game advice when they need it, etc. There's a positive way to be "the videogame guy" and a negative way to be "the videogame guy." Just like any other hobby.

I think the key thing is people should have an answer to a followup "okay, so what *else* do they do?" question. In the case of my friend who is a yoga-freak, the answer is basically "nothing." In the case of an ex-friend "videogame guy" (who actually skipped a good friend's wedding to play a raid in WoW), the answer was "nothing."

Wow... this got dark. Being an old gamer is actually awesome! Now I want to go find an emulator and play some Airbone Ranger and Bard's Tale games

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So, I've been 30 for nine hours and I already feel that now I'm entitled to whatever shit comes up in my mind and everybody will be like yes Copons is totally right because is now a wise and respectable man, he should just need to finally drop the beard and wear a tie, but respectable nonetheless.
Happy birthday old man! Hope you have a great day today.

Kiru

I turned 23 a few days ago, for anyone interested, also Happy Birthday Copons! Your posts often make me smile! :)

Also, I won Broforce here from fellow Gaffer yGray, and it's AWESOME PURE FUN.

That Russian Steam Enhanc...ing addon seems to be pretty useless and mostly just designed for Russian resellers. All of the features are basically designed to make it easier to run a resale store for a profit. None seem to actually improve the Steam experience for a conventional user.

Also it's apparently not in development because the author joined the Russian army for a year.

So perfect for every Russian steam user. :p

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Dunder makes it so easy to buy games, I'm really going to have to watch my budget, haha. On the plus side, now I have Octodad for $3.50! Well, £2.11.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wow. That could be it. I remember my TV showing 24hz when the game started but I thought that was only for the intro movies.

Is there a way to force 60hz for fullscreen ?

You can force the game into DX9 mode by adding -dx9 to the command line in Steam properties or create a custom resolution that only has 60 hz as the available refresh rate. I'm not sure if the second option is very easy on AMD though.

Oh right, same here. My friends come to me for game advice when they need it, etc. There's a positive way to be "the videogame guy" and a negative way to be "the videogame guy." Just like any other hobby.

I think the key thing is people should have an answer to a followup "okay, so what *else* do they do?" question. In the case of my friend who is a yoga-freak, the answer is basically "nothing." In the case of an ex-friend "videogame guy" (who actually skipped a good friend's wedding to play a raid in WoW), the answer was "nothing."

Wow... this got dark. Being an old gamer is actually awesome! Now I want to go find an emulator and play some Airbone Ranger and Bard's Tale games

Loved Airborne Ranger. the C-64 was a fantastic machine to game on when not all in on the NES/Master system.

I have told myself that Someday i will finish Bard's Tale 2: Destiny Knight. Finished 1 and 3 but 2 is that 'white whale' for me.

pahamrick

Try fullscreen window if the game allows or try alt-tabbing in and out a few times.

I play on an HDTV and have had to do this for multiple games, Ubi games are the worst culprit. I had to edit a config file to get Payday 2 to run at 60fps rather than 24.

The easiest way I've seen to fix that problem is to set a custom resolution of 1920x1076, I haven't come across a game yet where 24hz is forced that it doesn't fix.

kudoboi

Im 19. :)

I feel so young now

wow i'm only slightly younger than you then

also.. is neogaf down for anyone else?
hl2jKau.png

Aaron D.

Do we have anyone over 40 posting here? Just curious

45 here.

Pros: Have seen gaming from its inception. It lends perspective and appreciation for both past and present.

Cons: I'll be long gone when you young whippersnappers are enjoying your Holodeck gaming.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Which addon is that?

I've been bullied and threatened by a few users (mostly Russian) to add really scammy things to Enhanced Steam, saying that if I didn't they'd release their own Enhanced Steam knockoff which included scripts to trade away the user's inventory, etc.

I've seen a few of these pop up on the Chrome web store, but I usually report them to Google and they go away pretty quickly.

Be safe out there kids.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hmm.. now that the Summer Sale's over I guess I should retire my Team Red avatar. Maybe replace it with a nice summer one seeing as the hot weather's on it's way.

ZLXEgk6.png

What do you think?

abracadaver

Will try that later. Thank you all

Kiru

Which addon is that?

I've been bullied and threatened by a few users (mostly Russian) to add really scammy things to Enhanced Steam, saying that if I didn't they'd release their own Enhanced Steam knockoff which included scripts to trade away the user's inventory, etc.

I've seen a few of these pop up on the Chrome web store, but I usually report them to Google and they go away pretty quickly.

Be safe out there kids.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=119863826#post119863826

Oh cool. I'll try that in future, thanks.

What is this Dunder, by the way?

DunderHassan, name of a really nice & friendly GAF member :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You may experience some issues with ModBot over the next few minutes since the site just had a performance hiccup. One of my priorities over the next week or two is to improve ModBot performance during poor connectivity situations, or at least setting ModBot up to detect those situations and stop working for a few minutes instead of trying to work and end up doing random undesirable things.

The other thing I plan to do is enhance HOT game and game art detection.

You may experience some issues with ModBot over the next few minutes since the site just had a performance hiccup. One of my priorities over the next week or two is to improve ModBot performance during poor connectivity situations, or at least setting ModBot up to detect those situations and stop working for a few minutes instead of trying to work and end up doing random undesirable things.

Has anyone told you yet today how awesome you and modbot are?

thank you Stumpokapow for all your hard work and dedication to make ModBot the best that he?/she? can be.

Is ModBot a bro or a ladybro?

pahamrick

Which addon is that?

Be safe out there kids.

That's... pretty terrible to hear.

liezryou

no need to generalize, not all of them are traders, probably not even fraction.

Actually, 95% are either #1) Traders (Not necessarily game trading, might be item trading) #2) Hackers #3) Scammers

From within that i would say: 75% Traders, 15% Scammers, 10% Hackers

These are facts, don't ask where i got them from.

Dolor

Still playing Divinity Original Sin. 20 hours in and just left the first zone last night. Replaced one of my melee companions with a full-on bow/ranger, and I already feel like I am more capable even despite having the ranger at a lower level.

I am still pretty convinced the game favors ranged (if for no other reason than that melee characters have a much harder time safely activating environmental triggers and little to no improved ability to survive them.

But man is the game solid throughout even if it's slightly biased against my preferred playstyle. I find myself actually reading the quest text and dialogue which is pretty rare for me.

Just really good throughout and oozes quality. Really glad I picked this one up.

Which addon is that?

Be safe out there kids.
What? It's possible to make addons that enable remote access to the Inventory?
I am glad you're a trustworthy person.

_hekk05

Banned
Actually, 95% are either #1) Traders (Not necessarily game trading, might be item trading) #2) Hackers #3) Scammers

From within that i would say: 75% Traders, 15% Scammers, 10% Hackers

These are facts, don't ask where i got them from.

The russian bear blesses us with insider info.

Amzin

Well, you can access/manage your inventory from the Steam website in your browser, so stands to reason someone could build a malicious extension that could just do stuff to your inventory.

Dambrosi

Banned
Do we have anyone over 40 posting here? Just curious

Gaming started getting popular in the 80s so I guess the older gaffers should be in their mid 30s now
40 years old here! Just starting out in life, I am!

;__;
Happy B-Day, Copons

Any UK-Steam-GAFfers around my age remember Digitiser on Teletext? That was awesome. Remember reading it in the morning before school and waiting for the pages to tick over, and laughing at the snakes and Mr T talking about kids knocking his bins over. Good times.
Yeah, that was surrealist humour at its wierdest. Paul Rose was/is a genius, and I'm still in awe at how he managed to keep Digitizer going for as long as it did.

Also, is anyone else finding NeoGAF to be slow today? It was fine when I went to bed, and now it's all sluggish.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've noticed an influx of Russian accounts posting obviously copyright-infringing stuff on Greenlight lately. Often times it'll just be a Russian description and one or two images taken from a commercial game. But I don't understand their end-game; the games obviously aren't going to get Greenlit. And they don't have the commercial game's title, so it's not like people are going to fall for it and vote because they think it's the real deal. I'd post an example but they all get removed after a day or two.

Anything a human can do an extension script can do, with the possible exception of entering CAPTCHAs, and there are ways around that too. Chrome has limited extensions to the Chrome Web Store, nominally to be able to audit them and prevent the worst abuses, but you could still voluntarily add a userscript with something like TamperMonkey or whatever, so...

thank you Stumpokapow for all your hard work and dedication to make ModBot the best that he?/she? can be.

Is ModBot a bro or a ladybro?

I use "it" or "he", only because the avatar images for the bots are all male. But bots could definitely be female too. ModBotta. That has a nice ring to it. Or Ms. ModBot. Maybe if I need a fourth bot account here.

Just curious...How much time do you spend working on ModBot over a given day/week? It's really amazing how far the tool has come over the past year. Really awesome work, Stump!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, that was surrealist humour at its wierdest. Paul Rose was/is a genius, and I'm still in awe at how he managed to keep Digitizer going for as long as it did.

I remember when it all changed, apparently at some point new editorial staff came in and demanded he strip out the humour, was pretty awful. The readership plummeted and people complained in droves to get them to change it back. After a while they let him have his way again but he'd got disillusioned with the whole thing and so it ended. But yeah, it lasted about 10 years or so I think, crazy. Was absolutely blinding at it's best though.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I use "it" or "he", only because the avatar images for the bots are all male. But bots could definitely be female too. ModBotta. That has a nice ring to it. Or Ms. ModBot. Maybe if I need a fourth bot account here.

Ms. Modbot! That's an awesome name, haha. Just use Modbot 1's avatar with a bow on it. Who drew the avatars, anyway?

well, you can always do it like this:

:p

Haha, you know I was doing it that way around when I was trying to do a small sun, that looks much better though. Will change it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom