• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A few gala spares!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (jshackles, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

ulgzbKC.png
Micy Roll (Desura) -- MB-706CA0A626B8A767
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-D9732E2EA5A83FBF - Taken by Shalashaska
Bardbarian -- MB-41A54EDEA0F47AF3 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda

エキストラ

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-8BA6008C9DF4C0FD - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN

JakeD

couple indiegala link extras -
ModBot said:
send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JakeD, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.

toki tori 2 -- MB-54D59862CB6C4C2A - Taken by Hugstable
bardbarian -- MB-60352FE7E5ECC752 - Taken by lashman

also previously unclaimed from another giveaway -
Realms of Arkania 2 Star Trail Classic- -- MB-EDA8F4F441E7BC64
Sacraboar -- MB-E80719FA87E02B04
Hostile Waters Antaeus Rising -- MB-44961A894FF0ADA2

Yeah, sometimes humanity disappoints me. I don't give in to bullies easily, and I hope that everyone knows to only get software like Enhanced Steam from trusted sources anyway.
Yes, a lot of Steam's functions, since they've been ported to the web, are javascript based. For example, someone could write an addon that sends a trade offer to the author that contains everything in your inventory and gives you nothing in return. Someone could also potentially write a script to purchase games using your Steam wallet funds or associated credit card, store them in your inventory, and trade them away. All of this can happen transparently in the background without you seeing a single dialog.
Honestly, it's one of the reasons I decided to release Enhanced Steam as an open-source application. I want people to be able to see the source code for themselves (if they'd like) to know that there isn't anything funny like this happening. For those that don't understand javascript, I want you to feel safe in knowing that enough people have checked over the code (and that enough people use it) to know that something like this isn't taking place.
And after looking over that other script, I can't say that I would personally trust it enough to install it, ever.
I'll always trust you js! ES is a wonderful tool that should be incorporated into steam a long time ago - or at least copied :p
Thanks to your advice I'll double check addons from now before installing will-nilly.

user237

• Bardbarian
  • Coldfire Keep
  • Blade Symphony
  • Into the Dark: Ultimate Trash Edition
  • Toki Tori 2+
  • Micy Roll (Greenlight)

Looks like Toki Tori 2 and Bardbarian are interesting games in that list.

Coldfire Keep looked interesting until I read the reviews which called it a shallow mobile port. Too bad, I could go for another Dungeon game.

Holy shit the spawns in deathmatch mode for CS:GO are the worst I've ever seen. think I'll stick to the casual game mode.

When I play that mode I usually look around first before moving, since you're invulnerable after respawning for a couple of seconds. Sometimes I get a couple of people this way who are on standby to kill me, ......sometimes not. Yeah.

Benedict

Also joining in the Toki Tori2+ wave

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Benedict, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-62CA176962BE2519 - Taken by Halo 2

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-EF760EE76B035981 - Taken by Bel_Air_Jeff

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
Micy Roll (Desura) -- MB-F827CD3B01351F86 - Taken by Jason Frost
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-03176379CB238DAC - Taken by Sub Zero. 3 entrants total.
Bardbarian -- MB-AD7CDE7C554724CF - Taken by Ogedai_Khan. 4 entrants total.

t1404749907z1.png

Played an hour of Battlefield Bad Company 2 which I got from sale.
Good God, did I get slaughtered! Those folks are leveled up beyond belief. It's so brutal, it's not fun to play.
Having played BF3 the last days, I have to say BF3 has some very neat features. Recently killed teammates are marked, so you see where hotspots are. The menus are much easier to follow. You have much more weapon variety from the get-go.
Once I get me a PC this fall (plan: i7, 870), I doubt I'll go back to BFBC2.
Gonna try Battlefield 2 now. Let's see how oldies hold up.

One man's salt is another man's treasure...

ModBot said:
Instructions for corrosivefrost:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (corrosivefrost, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) One Day for Ched -- MB-08F41B3C02A50C3C - Taken by WinterDemons
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-9E5B3DB81DAF4CA4 - Taken by Purkake4. 3 entrants total.
Bardbarian -- MB-C8F93AF444A1A62C - Taken by PandaPedinte. 4 entrants total.
Blade Symphony -- MB-8D2DBBC1D40AE246 - Taken by Saty. 12 entrants total.

t1404750089z1.png

Modbot, I know you hate Mondays... just like Garfield. But c'mon, there's no reason I should have to go get the image and link for Toki Tori 2+ myself.

Shantom

Do Indiegala do happy hours for their weekly bundles, or is it better for me to stock up on Blade Symphony for my friends now, while the price is low?

And here's a spare:

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shantom, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-8282DBF6D0BE9481 - Taken by Ezalc. 1 entrants total.

t1404750145z1.png

Eternia

I haven't liked the post-summer sales this year. Last year, they ended up selling a lot of what didn't win community votes up not too long after.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'll always trust you js! ES is a wonderful tool that should be incorporated into steam a long time ago - or at least copied :p
Thanks to your advice I'll double check addons from now before installing will-nilly.

Don't worry, a few of Enhanced Steam's best features have been incorporated by Valve already. :)

As for addons, and just for everyone's reference, here are a few of the reasons why I say that addon discussed earlier doesn't meet my personal criteria of "safe".

1. The addon loads it's execution code directly from the web, rather than being self contained. The reason this is an issue is because it gives the extension developer the ability to alter the code to do nefarious things after his or her install base is large enough, without the user's knowledge. To a certain extent this is possible with "official" Chrome addons, but a radical change in the code will trigger Chrome to disable the addon and make the user aware of it's new permissions when re-enabling it.
  2. The addon isn't published on the Chrome Web Store. There is a reason that Google disabled these sorts of "user addons" in Chrome - they are potentially the most dangerous. Bypassing Google's extension code check procedures means the extension developer is free to do all sorts of nasty things that are typically not allowed. While this particular code sandboxes itself well enough, that may not always be the case (see #1).
  3. The addon executes on secure pages where the user's Steam credentials could be observed or stolen. Namely, this extension executes on checkout pages and alters the way users are able to send gifts through Steam. There is nothing to stop the author from interfering with this process for his or her own purposes. There's also nothing stopping them from exporting certain exposed variables on these types of pages in order to gain access to your account.
There are a few other minor gripes, but these 3 are big red flags for me personally.

Anyone on steamGAF interested in CSGO today? If so, same thing as yesterday. (I'll make a banner post with a time to play)

I might be able to later tonight, but I'm not sure. If you guys are playing, I'll try to jump in for a couple of matches and this time I'll be sure to have my microphone and everything hooked up.

AngerdX

I want to play with you all but got 4 more nights of work, then vacation time, hopefully i get time for gaming then. :)

Also thanks to all of you for the great giveaways these last couple of days.
p0QHO.gif

yuraya

Indie Gala has been very good these past several months. All of their bundles have been solid. Especially this one. Even the greenlight game Micy Roll looks like a lot of fun.

Enjoy

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (yuraya, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Blade Symphony -- MB-4309ED486F96171D - Taken by liezryou. 16 entrants total.

t1404751165z1.png

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
No preload for Abyss Odyssey cause they will be tweaking the game until the very last minute. At part makes me feel bad cause I will have to wait for the download and on the other hand feels good to know they are still buffing and balancing attacks, tweaking hitboxes etc. Still -_-

Lomax

Do Indiegala do happy hours for their weekly bundles, or is it better for me to stock up on Blade Symphony for my friends now, while the price is low?

And here's a spare:

They don't seem to, though they often lower the price back down to the launch price towards the end of the week. Though it's IndieGala, they are unpredictable and often have random times where buying lots of copies ends up being at a low price. The buy five bundles price is already just a little over $1 per, can't see it ending up much cheaper than that.

Shantom

They don't seem to, though they often lower the price back down to the launch price towards the end of the week. Though it's IndieGala, they are unpredictable and often have random times where buying lots of copies ends up being at a low price. The buy five bundles price is already just a little over $1 per, can't see it ending up much cheaper than that.

I managed to miss the gifts section of the page. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom