• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 2014. and it still runs like garbage.

GTA IV managed to run decently on my 970 relative to my old 2 GB 660. At 1440p maxed out I managed a steady 75FPS and about 3 GB VRAM usage. This was with a haswell processor.

Game is ugly now that I have been exposed to GTA V however.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You believe it's entirely the developer's fault?
Yet there are sites out there with better deals from the same developers (Publishers). It all comes down to who can negotiate a better deal.

I'd disagree. The secret to Amazon's Steam-beating deals that were regular occurrences throughout 2012 wasn't Tony's silver tongue but rather Amazon reducing its own profit margin. That's why the company stepped away somewhat from the PC DD market -- publishers didn't decide en masse that Amazon was no longer worthy of better discounts, but rather it became clear that users had begun to expect Amazon to beat prices seen elsewhere and generally ignored its deals otherwise, which isn't an ideal long-term approach. Over the past year or so we've seen GMG and even GameFly follow suit -- e.g. 30% discount codes for the former are now a very rare sight and in the case of the latter, monthly discount codes are now to the tune of 15% rather than 20%.

So I noticed that SteamDB has giant blue boxes that show you when stuff is region locked and I felt like a big dum-dum, hah. The absence of that means that there is no applicable region lock, right (well, except for that gifting thing that has an easy workaround)?

Pretty much, yeah. Some region-specific subs are "language-locked" but this is exceedingly rare.

Pachimari

The Evil Within is running really well on my rig so far. An i5 4670K, GTX 780 and 16GM of RAM.
I just can't get myself to play through it. Me and horror games, ugh.. I absolutely love horror games but I can't play them much. Poor nerves.

is GTA IV worth it? I always heard that the PC port ran like garbage, but that was a few years back, right? I kinda want to sate my GTA thirst until V comes out in January.
I can't even change the resolution of the game on my PC. Basically deeming it unplayable to me.

mannerbot

I'd disagree. The secret to Amazon's Steam-beating deals that were regular occurrences throughout 2012 wasn't Tony's silver tongue but rather Amazon reducing its own profit margin. That's why the company stepped away somewhat from the PC DD market -- publishers didn't decide en masse that Amazon was no longer worthy of better discounts, but rather it became clear that users had begun to expect Amazon to beat prices seen elsewhere and generally ignored its deals otherwise, which isn't an ideal long-term approach. Over the past year or so we've seen GMG and even GameFly follow suit -- 30% discount codes for the former are now a very rare sight and in the case of the latter, monthly discount codes are now to the tune of 15% rather than 20%.

Pretty much, yeah. Some region-specific subs are "language-locked" but this is exceedingly rare.

Ok, thanks sheersha! n_n

ArynCrinn

Banned
The Evil Within is running really well on my rig so far. An i5 4670K, GTX 780 and 16GM of RAM.
I just can't get myself to play through it. Me and horror games, ugh.. I absolutely love horror games but I can't play them much. Poor nerves.

I can't even change the resolution of the game on my PC. Basically deeming it unplayable to me.

You should try Among the Sleep.

The double-edged sword of PC gaming: So many amazing deals and bundles that when a sale comes around you can't justify a purchase for a game you really want since you've amassed a mountain of (great) games already waiting to be played. :/

This isn't Heaven... this is HELL.

Cross posting from the other sales thread:
Not marked on the front page, but Arma II and its expansions are on sale on the Steam store. They're all 80% off, and you can play the DayZ mod for as little as $5 this way (though the better package is $8).

Great deal for those who missed the Humble Bundle with it ages back, and you can say shove it to DayZ SA and its pricing.

In case anybody wanted to try DayZ in some form and hasn't yet.

Mr_Elysia

I'd disagree. The secret to Amazon's Steam-beating deals that were regular occurrences throughout 2012 wasn't Tony's silver tongue but rather Amazon reducing its own profit margin. That's why the company stepped away somewhat from the PC DD market -- publishers didn't decide en masse that Amazon was no longer worthy of better discounts, but rather it became clear that users had begun to expect Amazon to beat prices seen elsewhere and generally ignored its deals otherwise, which isn't an ideal long-term approach. Over the past year or so we've seen GMG and even GameFly follow suit -- 30% discount codes for the former are now a very rare sight and in the case of the latter, monthly discount codes are now to the tune of 15% rather than 20%.

You're not incorrect but I think it speaks to his point. Valve could easily blanket a X% discount from their profit margin to better the sales. No one is saying they are obligated, just that they care less now. That the sales these years pale compared to previous ones. I don't care if it's right or wrong or motivated by greed or laziness or safety I'm just saying that people seem to be missing his point by arguing the details. Then again, it's possible that valve does absorb X% and the developers or publishers adjust for that to give us our final%. Without knowing intimately we can't honestly argue it but I'd err towards there being two parties tangoing.

Just because there's only a couple days left in the sale and I probably won't finish the game by the time it's over, here are some impressions for Gray Matter (80% off for the duration of the sale - 2 bucks. Will it go lower? Who knows? But...it's 2 bucks.)

The story: You play Samantha Everett, an American magician with a hint of con woman, whose bike breaks down between London and Oxford, England, and she stumbles into a job as a neurobiologist's assistant. There appears to be a connection between experiments the reclusive doctor is conducting and strange occurrences at the university. Further, Sam finds a magic shop around Oxford and completes riddles courtesy of a secret magician's club. In at least one chapter, you get to play the doctor as well, and the entire chapter plays out in your house. So far, the story is really well-told, the main character is great and not exactly the clean-cut look of most women in video games with her tattoos and numerous piercings. The other characters are well put together but has the feel of television diversity - your group of new acquaintances includes an Englishman, a Scotswoman, a Jewish-American from New York, a woman from "a small European country you've never heard of", and what I can only surmise is an Indian. Still, it's enjoyable; I'd expect nothing less from Jane Jensen.

The gameplay and puzzles: So far, solid. The riddles can be a bit surreal but they're invented by magicians so you can hand-wave a lot of it. Many of the regular-game puzzles involve manipulating people using magic tricks. The interface for performing magic tricks is pretty clunky and takes some getting used to, but that might be my only complaint with the gameplay, and overall it's a unique system that's pretty cool. I've always enjoyed an adventure game where the protagonist has a job he or she can draw upon. The game does fall into the adventure game trap of "you can obtain items before you know you need them" and that includes buying magic trick props. Oh, I can buy a thumb and fake blood now? Guess I'll be doing the bleeding thumb trick today!

The dialogue and voices: Excellent. The accents are mostly true-to-form without being too stereotypical. Sam is in turns charming, sassy, snarky, and sarcastic, but never once (so far) does she come off as unlikeable or a bitch. It was kinda weird to play this game directly after Mirror's Edge considering Sam is also the voice of Faith's sister Kate. But she's a good voice actress and I can't help but wonder why she didn't do more stuff. The rest of the dialogue is sharply written, head and shoulders above Daedalic's inconsistent translated efforts. It's not as good as Cognition in this respect, but it's good.

The graphics and music: The environments look great. The characters look good for the most part, but during scenes of dialogue they show the character's rendered face at the bottom. The mouth moves, but blinking is seldom. It's kind of off-putting. But it is done simultaneously with the face on the character's body. It's neat to have the character look in the mirror and describe something, seeing both faces moving in concert. There are also nice subtle touches to the graphics: when you play the doctor, you're wearing a shirt, but if you leave the house to visit the garage, you're wearing a jacket. The music is especially good, and if you've played Cognition, you'd know that it isn't a Jane Jensen game without the Scarlet Furies. (Were they even around in 2002, when the reference to the band takes place? Oh well.)

The length: The game says I've put in about 6 1/2 hours and I'm a little less than halfway done, so it'll probably be about 15 hours all told. It's a good amount of content: I was kinda surprised when the download exceeded 5 gigs.

The verdict: So far it feels like a fine adventure game. It had been on my radar for a whle and I'm glad I finally got around to it. I feel like I already got my toonie's worth, so if you like adventure games you'll feel the same way.

JaseC

You're not incorrect but I think it speaks to his point. Valve could easily blanket a X% discount from their profit margin to better the sales. No one is saying they are obligated, just that they care less now. That the sales these years pale compared to previous ones. I don't care if it's right or wrong or motivated by greed or laziness or safety I'm just saying that people seem to be missing his point by arguing the details. Then again, it's possible that valve does absorb X% and the developers or publishers adjust for that to give us our final%. Without knowing intimately we can't honestly argue it but I'd err towards there being two parties tangoing.

I didn't address his point because I actually agree with it -- that Valve could "take one for the team" if it were so inclined. I was merely just disagreeing that better discounts all comes down to deal negotiation, which is why I quoted that specific portion of his post.

Gonna pick up Divinity Original Sin, is the DLC pack worth it?

EDIT: Did some searching, apparently it contains the some small kickstarter backer bonuses like the soundtrack and artwork.

Turfster

The length: The game says I've put in about 6 1/2 hours and I'm a little less than halfway done, so it'll probably be about 15 hours all told. It's a good amount of content: I was kinda surprised when the download exceeded 5 gigs.

The verdict: So far it feels like a fine adventure game. It had been on my radar for a whle and I'm glad I finally got around to it. I feel like I already got my toonie's worth, so if you like adventure games you'll feel the same way.
Counterpoint:
There's a lot of artificial length padding in the game, and the story progression-to-'gameplay' links are a nightmare. Don't forget to talk to everyone, repeatedly, until nothing new shows up and the map section isn't highlighted any more.

I spent an hour running around trying to figure out what the hell else I could do at the end of one of the chapters at like 98%, when apparently I had forgotten to talk to someone again and just say "thanks" after they told me to go somewhere else for what I asked them and I'd been there. An hour because of shockingly bad design.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Im a Manatee, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ARMA 2 -- MB-CE4BB57B3E580741 - Taken by fuzzy123. 9 entrants total.

t1417391220z1.png

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Man I want to get Divinity but I still haven't gotten a confirm for my next lab rat job. *crosses fingers for call tomorrow*
Also Steam isn't loading the Rocksmith 2014 pages at all so I can't buy these discounted songs. orz

Mr_Elysia

I didn't address his point because I actually agree with it -- that Valve could "take one for the team" if it were so inclined. I was merely just disagreeing that better discounts all comes down to deal negotiation, which is why I quoted that specific portion of his post.

Fair enough.

Arthea

I bought season pass of SR4, without being aware that it doesn't include most of dlcs, then I bought dlcs to add to it that I deemed necessary and now I bought upgrade with all dlcs. Never again! (><)
I totally should have waited for collection as steamgaf told me to

Just because there's only a couple days left in the sale and I probably won't finish the game by the time it's over, here are some impressions for Gray Matter ...

Thanks for impressions, I plan to play it, looks good from your write up.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Anybody get annoyed by the fact almost nobody in TF2 plays the game as intended as in "as a Team". Almost every damn round only like 1/4 of the people on either team are actually working as a team, everybody is just derping around like it's pure deathmatch/Slayer... Whereas I'm trying to cover the control point as a sniper or Mechanic and I've got damn Pyro's and Heavies and Scouts up my ass constantly, where's my damn "team backup"? At least I can thank my 1000's of hours in Quake/Unreal/Halo for no scope headshot ability at will...but only can survive for so long with no real Team support. WTF.

I feel like most people are just playing for random unlocks/trading/or crafting or just doofuses in general. Which kind of defeats the "purpose" of being a "team-based FPS", same sort of goes for a lot of CS:GO matches I've played. Guess that's what I get for playing on public servers though, least I normally still come in the top 3 MVP for whatever team I'm on...

Lain

Am I the only one that always thinks "Gwen Tennison" when seeing the heroine of Miss Take?

So Styx on GMG was today. Finally used some of that credit! I had planned to use it on South Park, but since I got that from Amazon, Styx is a good substitute.

ArynCrinn

Banned
How about that BoI: Rebirth TF2 hat? WTF, was hoping to sell asap, but it's on Valve time, Also why the hell can't I just sell ALL my TF2 stuff, I care nothing about any of it, could be used to increase my wallet, but no I have to have meaningless crap cluttering my inventory, plus dupes. :\

madjoki

Uh, indiegala has been doing these bullshit "join our group/like us on facebook" giveaways of kusoge for ages.
When HB gives away a game, at least it doesn't involve worthless hoops =p

Well, but now even the giveaway form is 99% copies from Humble Bundle.
I think only original thing they have done is "Happy Hours".

Pachimari

Hopefully Football Manager 2015 will go on sale but I doubt it. Missed out on a local sale in my country, and unfortunately it was region locked on Nuuvem.

JaseC

I didn't even know that was possible.

I asked Valve to remove a Talisman: Digital Edition key I registered earlier in the year so I could activate the Gold Edition and later gave the key away on here as I was told I could do whatever I wanted with it. I don't know if this is general policy or keys are sometimes blacklisted after being removed, but if you have no need for the app then it couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Knurek

Thanks for impressions, I plan to play it, looks good from your write up.

It's a great game, and if PnC games are your thing, you should play it (maybe with a guide handy for hunting few last things you need to do in a chapter if you manage to get yourself in Turfster's situation).
Pity the developer went broke while making the game. It really does show during the final few chapters the game was rushed.

Counterpoint:
There's a lot of artificial length padding in the game, and the story progression-to-'gameplay' links are a nightmare. Don't forget to talk to everyone, repeatedly, until nothing new shows up and the map section isn't highlighted any more.

I spent an hour running around trying to figure out what the hell else I could do at the end of one of the chapters at like 98%, when apparently I had forgotten to talk to someone again and just say "thanks" after they told me to go somewhere else for what I asked them and I'd been there. An hour because of shockingly bad design.

Oh, I haven't run into that problem yet, mainly because when it comes to adventure games like this, talking to everyone and exhausting dialogue options comes naturally. It's helpful that the icon changes: if they have something useful to say to you, interaction is a mouth icon and you're able to talk to them. Otherwise, interaction with them is limited to the eye icon. I found that pretty helpful, anyway.

Hanzou

Oh, I haven't run into that problem yet, mainly because when it comes to adventure games like this, talking to everyone and exhausting dialogue options comes naturally. It's helpful that the icon changes: if they have something useful to say to you, interaction is a mouth icon and you're able to talk to them. Otherwise, interaction with them is limited to the eye icon. I found that pretty helpful.

Just to confirm, the recent change Valve made to inventory gifts requiring 30 days has essentially killed region trading during sales has it not? For example Original Sin is about $9 in Russia right now but it looks like people still want about double that in TF2 keys. Am I wrong here?

JaseC

Just to confirm, the recent change Valve made to inventory gifts requiring 30 days has essentially killed region trading during sales has it not? For example Original Sin is about $9 in Russia right now but it looks like people still want about double that in TF2 keys. Am I wrong here?

The trading restriction doesn't really affect those who opt to pay via PayPal since the buyer is generally expected to go first, anyway. You are right, though, in that does prevent two-way trades (keys for a game), although the Dispenser.tf folks are apparently working on something that may help.

Nabs

The IndieGala store absolutely destroys my browser by clogging up a gig or two of ram almost instantly. I'm sure it's an extension compatibility issue, but I don't see why something like tampermonkey would bother it.

Turfster

The IndieGala store absolutely destroys my browser by clogging up a gig or two of ram almost instantly. I'm sure it's an extension compatibility issue, but I don't see why something like tampermonkey would bother it.
It does that here too.
Their site is just dogshit on everything it seems.

JaseC

This is valid for ANY game? Because if you played that game, I doubt Valve will give your key back.

I don't remember if I'd idled in the game prior to the request and with a market listing history of 1,477 pages it'd be a huge pain in the arse to check.

Edit: I suppose I could search my inbox for the game's card names. If at least one of them sold prior to the date that I submitted the ticket then I obviously "played" the game.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

PGP3OVL.png
Little Big Adventure(GOG) -- MB-CD479EE77B1C9A83 - Taken by Scipius

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Little Big Adventure(GOG) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Decided to test out my Alpha on Titanfall. Are there any good FPS counters that I can use to see how much impact various settings are having on my system's performance?

Maniac

Banned
I'd disagree. The secret to Amazon's Steam-beating deals that were regular occurrences throughout 2012 wasn't Tony's silver tongue but rather Amazon reducing its own profit margin. That's why the company stepped away somewhat from the PC DD market -- publishers didn't decide en masse that Amazon was no longer worthy of better discounts, but rather it became clear that users had begun to expect Amazon to beat prices seen elsewhere and generally ignored its deals otherwise, which isn't an ideal long-term approach. Over the past year or so we've seen GMG and even GameFly follow suit -- e.g. 30% discount codes for the former are now a very rare sight and in the case of the latter, monthly discount codes are now to the tune of 15% rather than 20%.
Guess I don't need to really reply to Luchador much, this sums it up rather perfectly. And I too wish they'd actually "reduce" their % for sales, but sadly they don't.

Ofcourse, ridiculous sales as with what GMG and GameFly did starting out (and Amazon, too) is really good for getting yourself set up within that kind of a business and getting some decently loyal customers, but long-term it's just not very healthy business. GMG has managed to find a pretty good work-around solution though.

So because you think Valve have taken a hands-off approach we can't blame them for the discounts and 'deals' not being as great as they once were and other sites improving theirs?

If that is the case (how do you know this?) to me the two seem intrinsically linked; because of their hands-off approach they should be blamed for their laziness, and what I perceive to be a lack of interest in their customers.

You just have to look at this thread to see others not generally happy with the deals, or not buying and if they are buying its from GMG, Amazon, etc.
I'm not saying we can't, but a lot of it is on publishers aswell. Ofcourse it could be better, ofcourse they could do better. They could easily reduce their take, for sales or permanently, but they don't want to presently, and I can't really blame them for that. But really, they do have a great deal of interest in their customers, they've done a lot for them through the years, and done their sodding best with a lot of great features for people, but there are still some incredibly nonsensical, daft problems with the service, and that... Is definitely something I blame them for.
i must've slept in the weirdest position

i have to bend my neck or else it hurts like crazy lol

anywho, nothing for me, again

tempted a bit by dragon commander and re6

whats this supposed to mean

i don't know it's just like

how you structure your posts sometimes maybe

i don't know

maybe it's just me

i'm not sure

All I know is that I fokken luv ya.

And do feel better, ya' hear? Put a little towel with damn hot water on it and it might help.

Or get a massage. Those are always great. :p

BJ looks so mean! I prefer mine.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of fenners, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dreamcast Collection -- MB-F911CE31437D33FC - Taken by Sgt.Pepper. 24 entrants total.
Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-AE1C17A5F7CC0A86 - Taken by tioslash. 14 entrants total.

t1417388337z1.png

Tellaerin

Steam Sales have been getting worse every year, and it's not because we own the games, it's because they don't need to try anymore. GMG and Amazon have been improving on their deals every year. Also nice of you to miss out the part on Regional Prices being terrible too, as well as the poor customer service and lack of regard for consumer laws. But no, lets ignore all of that and be horrible to someone within our Community as they don't 100% love everything Steam does.

Bunch of acerbic people in here at times.

I don't think this is a particularly bad Steam sale, though. In fact, I'd say it's one of the better ones we've had over the last couple of years, discount-wise. Amazon sales have fallen off since Amazon Tony was replaced by Amazon Josh, and GMG doesn't carry all the stuff they used to. Then again, I'm also in the US, so regional pricing isn't particularly an issue for me, which colors my perspective to some extent. Even so, I do think it's a better sale than you're making it out to be, and that part of the reason it seems lackluster to you is because seeing a bunch of stuff for 75% off nowadays just doesn't have the impact it used to in our post-bundle world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom