• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam now allows you to permanently remove games from your account.

Bluth54

So, if they can do this, why can't we resell our "used" games?

Because publishers don't care if you remove their games from your Steam account, they got their money from the sale of the game. Selling used games would require a completely new contract with all developers and publishers and would no doubt be difficult to get many devs or publishers to agree to.

There is a huge difference between moving games between accounts and removing games from accounts.

What does this mean for steamspy numbers?

Probably very little, I doubt you'll see many people removing games they paid for.

Henrar

If I remove the Game but after some time I decide to buy it again - will I be able to buy it?

Also, technically, this allows you to get your game back if you want it (there is a button to restore this purchase). However, as always, there are problems with it. For example, Fallout New Vegas in PL/CZ/HU version cannot be restored (unexpected error). Fuck region locks.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone check what happens if you attempt to remove Divinity: Original Sin while you have the Enhanced Edition (for users that were automatically credited with the upgraded game). Does it remove both?

Probably very little, I doubt you'll see many people removing games they paid for.

Plus for all intents and purposes the game can be marked as sold - the publisher/devs already got their money.

Dremark

Banned
People throw away money on worse. There's people that essentially pay to be killed (smokers)

In 10 years no one is going to want to play this trash and if for some reason, they get the urge to in 10 years, it'll be like a dollar.

there's a million reasons to keep it sure, but there's only one reason you need to get rid of it. because you don't want it

Yeah I can see why someone would use the option to remove a game entirely. I don't think I'll use that option myself but if it makes people happy, it's good they can.

Maybe happy isn't the right term, less angry maybe.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
why dont people just categorize stuff into a different thing so they dont have to see it in their main list of games?

i dont understand removing completely.

Gamers are weird, what more needs to be said.

FYI, you guys can send your unwanted games over to me, I'll take them.

CHC

I am seriously having a hard time getting my mind around the fact that there are people who seem to be against this feature.

If it wasn't for the thread, would you even know it was there?

I am seriously having a hard time getting my mind around the fact that there are people who seem to be against this feature.

If it wasn't for the thread, would you even know it was there?

People were also against no questions asked refunds. A lot of consumers really hate consumers for some reason.

Great, thanks Gaben! I have at least one game where I played about an hour or so, discovered it was not at all what I thought it was going to be (my mistake for not researching more carefully), so I'm extremely unlikely to play it anymore in favor of games I actually do want to play.

So...off you go!

LK9mR1T.gif

Nullabe

Burnout Paradise, bye! And those games I automatically got added to my account by buying an Alienware Alpha.

Praise the lord. Good bye, L4D2

See you in hell, Lost Planet.

good bye binding of isaac

Delete Dark Souls II dx9 or dx11 or both?!

Awesomenauts
This product is not in your Steam Library.

Great!

Farewell to:

The Ultimate Doom

So, I went to remove Company of Heroes from my list ...

Finally can get rid of Team Fortress 2. Never had any intention of playing it.

I'm.. I'm... I'm not feeling right...
giphy.gif

This thread is disgusting. Worst steam feature ever IMO.

m_dorian

Having more options to manage the Steam library is always welcome but i am not going to use this one because i want to remember my shortcomings.
AC: Unity is under Uplay and i have AC:III for PS3.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Having more options to manage the Steam library is always welcome but i am not going to use this one because i want to remember my shortcomings.
AC: Unity is under Uplay and i have AC:III for PS3.

In retrospect, it sounds like a social experiment for Valve. You get rid of your gaming regrets, and come around next Steam sale, you don't have a giant list staring at you reminding you of your terrible buying decisions.

I'm.. I'm... I'm not feeling right...

This thread is disgusting. Worst steam feature ever IMO.

Why does the thought of people removing unwanted games from their library disgust you so much? Not everyone is bound to like a game, and it's not like you have to make use of this feature, yourself, nor does it impact anyone but those who choose to make use of it. It doesn't even generate garbage that needs to be processed, unlike throwing out physical media.

Does doing this also remove your playtime/achievements?

I'd be tempted just for Clicker Heroes. It's a time in my life I'd rather forget.

Nullabe

Ucchedavāda;187870545 said:
Why does the thought of people removing unwanted games from their library disgust you so much? Not everyone is bound to like a game, and it's not like you have to make use of this feature, yourself, nor does it impact anyone but those who choose to make use of it. It doesn't even generate garbage that needs to be processed, unlike throwing out physical media.

I don't know, in my head it's just like burning clothes you don't want to wear anymore. So, okay Valve didn't made a solution, like give the game or refund it, but it's like a total waste to delete a game that you paid, don't you think ?

I understand the feeling (i have 150+ games on steam, some garbage, some i will not play), but what i don't, is to delete you library despite the fact that you can hide your games.

Strazyplus

My account has not been compromised in a long time but I fear for it now... someone can come in and delete my games. I am scared...

I don't know, in my head it's just like burning clothes you don't want to wear anymore. So, okay Valve didn't made a solution, like give the game or refund it, but it's like a total waste to delete a game that you paid, don't you think ?
I see what you mean, but as a consequence of the lack of refund or re-gifting, a game on Steam loses all momentary value once it is tied to an account and all card-drops have been obtained. The money you've paid are already gone, and the only value left is whatever enjoyment you can get out of the game*. If you do not enjoy a game, or even actively dislike it, then there is nothing that you can "waste" by removing that game, rather than just keeping it around.

If having a tidy library (or just getting rid of games you hate) pleases you, then I cannot see why you shouldn't take advantage of this feature. In the worst case, you'll just have to re-purchase them on Steam or elsewhere.

I understand the feeling (i have 150+ games on steam, some garbage, some i will not play), but what i don't, is to delete you library despite the fact that you can hide your games.
I can't think of a game so awful that I want to permanently remove it from my account, despite having more than 500 games, but it was nice to be able to remove a bunch of prototype games that I got in a bundle, and I would like to be able to remove regular editions when I also have the GOTY, and multiplayer entries for games that have been dead for years. Stuff that is just cluttering up my library. My bar for throwing out Steam games is certainly a lot higher than getting rid of physical games, since they don't take up physical space, and since I can just hide those items as you say, but there is still stuff I'd like to get rid of.

* Simplifying a bit here, considering the existence of hat-economies and family sharing, but the first applies only to a select few games, and the second applies to people who probably already know what games to keep around for family members, or who are foolish enough to share their password with strangers.

Booki

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of removing a game permanently from my list. But I would have much preferred an option to at least re-move it from my list and gift it to someone else who may want it. My trash is your treasure kind of thing.

IvanJ

Banned
This is a great feature. I wish Sony did the same, so I can get rid of all those demos, betas, apps and other games I'll never touch again from my library.

Avinexus

Shit. I still can't remove those stupid prototype games from an old humble bundle since they don't show up as actual games.

Shit. I still can't remove those stupid prototype games from an old humble bundle since they don't show up as actual games.

If you are talking about the Double Fine prototypes, and probably any other such item, then just click on one of them in your library, and then click on the "Support" link on the right side of the Detail view. That'll take you to the appropriate page where you can request to remove them.

Avinexus

Ucchedavāda;187879977 said:
If you are talking about the Double Fine prototypes, and probably any other such item, then just click on one of them in your library, and then click on the "Support" link on the right side of the Detail view. That'll take you to the appropriate page where you can request to remove them.

Beautiful. That worked, thanks.

Lord Phol

Oh cool,might have some stuff that I really could do without. Like Two Worlds Two, how anyone could enjoy that is beyond me..

Top Bottom