• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Congrats to the people who were lucky enough to get DR3 for free.

Imo the game is one of the most dissapointing games Ive played this year (Destiyn takes the crown though).

Dr Dogg

FFXIII runs like shit for me
Can barely lock it to 30 fps on a i3-3250+750 Ti. Frequent drops while loading stuff despite: a) CPU usage hovering around 60-70% b) GPU usage hovering around 40-50% c) game data on SSD.
I've tried disabling USB devices, does not help. Don't have any way to disable HT in my BIOS, game doesn't seem to work with /affinity.
It's playable at least, but still, other people easily lock 60 fps@4k, so something is seriously wrong here.

I've never had the frame rate consistently at 60fps, even from the first area. I have have consistent 16.6ms or 33.3ms updates though (there or thereabouts) and not the stuttering other have been experiencing. Maldo said it was more than likely to do with HID infinite looping for installed devices.

Certain effects will change my update time without using anymore GPU power. Basically I get in and around 55-60% utilization in The Vile Peaks and that delivers frames at 16.6ms intervals ie 60fps but if a certain effect comes on screen without using anymore on my GPU it snaps back to a 33.3ms update ie 30fps . For Lake Bresha to stop it bouncing around (which it did a lot more frequently there due to that being a demanding area) I just pushed the rendering resolution higher and was pretty consistent at delivery a solid 33.3ms update. Obviously I've got to bump it higher again now and more than likely in other areas too.

What causes this? Not a clue but Anteater posted a webm about how the interactive battle menu bring their framerate down when in use and when disabling it in GeDoSaTo it shoots back up to 60fps. And Maldo and a few others have confirmed this too. Could be just this, could be other things too but it's how the game behaves without GeDoSaTo so I've just going to setting for 30fps until something might come along at a later date (not holding my breath). I mean the trade off is that I can render it at a lot higher resolution so it's not like my GPU is going to waste.

i can stream it a bit, you tell me how it looks I guess? Assuming the stream is smooth like with alien. gimme a sec

oh and i5 4690k, 16gb ram, gtx970 (should be sli but my second hasnt arrived yet)
How does sli work?
If I get 2 970s and do sli with em does it now mean I have 8gb of video ram?
Does my motherboard need to support it?
And lastly, what about my i5 processor, it wont die on me if I do this sli of yours, will it?
whats your job that youre able to afford 2 god damn 970s when I cant even afford one?! :mad:

if you plan on posting the evil within gifs can you please use a link instead of directly embedding them in your posts, i don't want to spoil anything (and i really mean anything)

much appreciated

Nzyme32

Managed to find my old 2000 copy of Metal Gear Solid for PC. Gonna attempt to see if I can get it running

UCbROcn.png

Managed to find my old 2000 copy of Metal Gear Solid for PC. Gonna attempt to see if I can get it running

UCbROcn.png

Oh man, that installer brings some memory back. I really enjoyed the demo I got from the PC Games magazine back then, but I was never able to find it in retail here.

It would be really great to get all the other games on Steam. And lets hope we won't have to wait another year to get TTP. I still don't understand why they waited this long to release GZ.

Knurek

I've never had the frame rate consistently at 60fps, even from the first area. I have have consistent 16.6ms or 33.3ms updates though (there or thereabouts) and not the stuttering other have been experiencing. Maldo said it was more than likely to do with HID infinite looping for installed devices.

Like I've said, I've tried running with all HID devices disabled in the Device Manager, doesn't change a thing.
I can get a somewhat stable (30 fps with drops to 25 here and there) framerate only if I disable pretty much everything else (Steam background downloads, antivirus, etc). Why this should be a problem when CPU usage never exceeds 75% during the game, I have bloody no idea...
Maybe the game expects at least 8 cores, on par with PS3 spec?

Why am I always away when someone gives / throws Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae and LOTR War in the North? Why?

Thanks for the giveaway, Shadownet! Will pass on it since I have to trim the backlog first before adding a new one.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Ryse is around 20$ here. Been hearing bad things about this game. Can anyone provide a good counterbalance to the bad perceptions circling it? It looks nice.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So is there any reason why Humble Bundle has dropped the EFF from the set of charities a portion of each sale goes toward?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How does sli work?
If I get 2 970s and do sli with em does it now mean I have 8gb of video ram?

Only 4GB will be addressable by games as the way SLI works is that frame data is mirrored across each card. This may seem strange, but it's what allows SLI to scale as well as it does.

Does my motherboard need to support it?

You need two 8x (or higher) PCI-E slots and I'd be surprised if your motherboard didn't offer them.

And lastly, what about my i5 processor, it wont die on me if I do this sli of yours, will it?

Only if you manage to break it while installing the cards. ;)

Deques

ModBot said:
Instructions for Deques:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deques, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome -- MB-88EE711397348046 - Taken by Rafy. 6 entrants total.
AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity -- MB-EB33300AEB910F03 - Taken by NingenJanai. 1 entrants total.

t1413126235z1.png
aaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my CPU is running really hot, I noticed that yesterday after Alien. and just now with DR3, I checked that Core Temp program thingie and it said 90º :/

but when I turned off the game it said 60º and I dont think it cooled that fast lol. Might have to look in on that

my CPU is running really hot, I noticed that yesterday after Alien. and just now with DR3, I checked that Core Temp program thingie and it said 90º :/

but when I turned off the game it said 60º and I dont think it cooled that fast lol. Might have to look in on that

90 C or F?

Nzyme32

Oh man, that installer brings some memory back. I really enjoyed the demo I got from the PC Games magazine back then, but I was never able to find it in retail here.

It would be really great to get all the other games on Steam. And lets hope we won't have to wait another year to get TTP. I still don't understand why they waited this long to release GZ.

I remember buying it (or rather nagging my dad to get it) at a WH Smiths of all places (newsagents) when they used to sell pc games in their giant boxes! Anyway, I am 100% certain that they will release them all sooner or later, or at least the HD collection since that is the easiest to get going.

As for MGS1 - IT WORKS - although I got this error message and the game is running at some god awful tiny resolution - be aware that the install box was around 640x480 so this must be 320x240 or something silly, which looks hilarious when stretched out haha:

qnKDHnU.png

hZVzgYR.png

xaUWRDz.png

I recall playing it at 1024x768 back in the day, will fiddle around with it

Also the start up vid for the VR disc is look nice..... I assume it is a codec issue or something

oKqAO67.png

Maniac

Banned
Specs? I've been wanting to pull the trigger on this, but been afraid of it being broken or something.
I've run it maxed out at a nigh-locked 60 on a GTX 780 - Slightly overclocked, but not by much. Really the biggest bottleneck you can have is on the CPU side of things, it's really damn CPU intensive because of the 200+ zombies.
Mah CPU is an i7-3770k. 16 gigs of RAM.

Oh and fuck it. I've given up on getting a space-mustang in Star Citizen. People on B/S/T are being real proper assholes with their 33 cent codes. -_-'

... If someone has one they'd trade for a steamgift game or two, or 10 bucks, do shout. Otherwise I'll just sit here and cry in self-pity. :p

A couple of spares I found

ModBot said:
Instructions for ScreamingTrees:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ScreamingTrees, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bioshock -- MB-700005D6FF66958B - Taken by cardinalmind. 1 entrants total.
Darksiders -- MB-76F922506DDF1E7C - Taken by Teppic. 3 entrants total.

t1413126716z1.png

Ryse is around 20$ here. Been hearing bad things about this game. Can anyone provide a good counterbalance to the bad perceptions circling it? It looks nice.
I posted my more positive impressions here. It's definitely a simple, repetitive brawler, but the diversity of locations, sheer technical brilliance, and the surprisingly good acting were enough to keep me engaged throughout the short length. Easily worth the 20 bones from my point of view.

OBS

C. theres also a distinct odor in the room, like when you use a hairdrier or something, that "tech is getting hot" odor, not exactly burning but you know what I mean. Slightly worried here

That's no good, did you assemble the PC or did someone else? To me, that sounds like it might be not enough thermal paste or poorly spread thermal paste. My i5-2500k over clocked, gets to like 30C under load at max.

Anteater

damn, some of these cutscenes are long in naruto, but I basically stopped reading the manga half way through the Pain fight and this game seems to pick up after that particular fight so hey this is all new to me.

wilflare

got a new soundcard recently - Creative Sound Blaster Zx

anyone knows what I should be setting my
(1) bit depth
(2) sample rate at?

and what should I do in order to get surround sound for my games
(and anime/movies/netflix)?

Dr Dogg

Like I've said, I've tried running with all HID devices disabled in the Device Manager, doesn't change a thing.
I can get a somewhat stable (30 fps with drops to 25 here and there) framerate only if I disable pretty much everything else (Steam background downloads, antivirus, etc). Why this should be a problem when CPU usage never exceeds 75% during the game, I have bloody no idea...
Maybe the game expects at least 8 cores, on par with PS3 spec?

Well as I said that will only eliminate stutter. But using more of you GPU smooths things out that making it do less (Watch Dogs was a pain in this regard).

The game itself snaps back between 60 and 30 (even 20 if you push you card too hard) and even disabling Vsync through Nvidia Control panel doesn't change the behavior. CPU usage is only 40-50% on one core so that shouldn't be an issue for anyone with a relatively recent PC. Under utilization was an issue for some where their cards would downclock due to a small load and the game would respond by dropping frametimes with it. As I said I never really exceed 60% GPU usage and that's the issue because when I do I get kicked down to a lower update. Only time I managed to get higher usage was at a rendering resolution of 7680x4320 and even then I'd get pulled to 20fps now and then.

This might give you an idea of what's really going on.
The top line is reported FPS while the bottom line is the resulting frametimes. As I said I have no stutter as I have little to no variance but the dips you are seeing is when the engine doesn't deliver frames at 16.6ms but instead delivers them at 33.3ms and then the reported frame rate becomes 30fps. Some were reporting stuttering which would lead to an uneven delivery of frames and the frametimes would reflect that by being quite wild (which is why just frame rate is a poor indicator as to what's going on).

What I'd suggest is if you haven't already make sure in Nvidia Control Panel adjust the Power Management settings for your card either globally of for FFXIII and take a look at what might be causing you to have inconsistent framerates with external monitoring tools. Is it something like the folks who were having problems with stutter? Is it something like Anteater where it's the overlays? Is it something like mine where it doesn't use the GPU properly? Is it some or all of them? Fingers crossed you sort it.

Nzyme32

(1) bit depth
(2) sample rate at?

No idea, but I'd love to hear your impressions of it once you have it set up how you want it

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Vuze, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vuze, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Spacehack -- MB-8E4CFFEEE1058404
t1cxE6r.gif
Mafia 2 -- MB-1D2B3EC6E6665FF8 - Taken by someguyinahat. 6 entrants total.
BioShock 2 -- MB-ACAFA7280FBF34DC - Taken by cardinalmind. 7 entrants total.

t1413120120z1.png

It's a QTE fest.
But will I enjoy this like how I've enjoyed Marlow Briggs or God of War?
I posted my more positive impressions here. It's definitely a simple, repetitive brawler, but the diversity of locations, sheer technical brilliance, and the surprisingly good acting were enough to keep me engaged throughout the short length. Easily worth the 20 bones from my point of view.

Oooh, Thanks for the link. I'll just wait for the usually delayed salary of mine to come.
The backlog never ends.

sprinkles

After 17 long and sometimes excruciating hours I finished Demonicon. Do not play this unless you have fond memories of playing many days of Pen&Paper DSA (Black Eye) in your youth. And even then only if you are bored or really loved the post-Borbarad Aventuria.

tsab

(1) bit depth
(2) sample rate at?

Hi wilflare.
I assume you want to use the SPDIF Out (fiber optic) of the card?
I have a Creative Recon3d (the previous gen of yours) and you need to activate Dolby Digital Live or the equivalent of THX though the Creative Software, this will make the Digital Out unavailable for software to use because you are re-encode everything to 5.1/7.1 or whatever on the fly.

Darkroronoa

So i made an account yesterday at gamesplanet to grab dead rising 3, buy order passed (i got an email too) but today my account does not exist -_-

"We could not find an account for this email address."

Maybe i did not managed to confirm the email? Well, nothing lost anyway lol

Just play what you want, don't worry about completing 'x' game within a certain time frame.

I actually do that. But I easily lost interest of the games I play.
```````````````````````````````````````````
Not Steam related but I've logged in my old Xbox account to check whether it's still functioning or not, and I then saw my username there. OH GOD WHY? WHEN WAS I NAMED PlushyCupid18? The things that you do when you're young...

MattyG

Banned
YES. Finally won Grimrock from a giveaway! Can't decide if I should start it right away or if I should wait until after The Evil Within though.

Sarcasm

I actually do that. But I easily lost interest of the games I play.
```````````````````````````````````````````
Not Steam related but I've logged in my old Xbox account to check whether it's still functioning or not, and I then saw my username there. OH GOD WHY? WHEN WAS I NAMED PlushyCupid18? The things that you do when you're young...

Every account except this one I have had the same username since I was little.

Dunno what you were but I was thinking of the future.

Now I don't plan 2 minutes ahead haha

Jørdan

YES. Finally won Grimrock from a giveaway! Can't decide if I should start it right away or if I should wait until after The Evil Within though.

Congrats, fantastic game - it's short enough to get through one ran at it.

Does Desura cap their DL speed? Hitting a steady 250k just now :[

Spyware

Haha :D I have rarely used names I can't "stand behind" still. But of course the only time I did was with PSN... the only thing I can never change :p
My steam name is really bad too but that's just good since no one can figure that out. Having separate account names and profile names should be standard.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's no good, did you assemble the PC or did someone else? To me, that sounds like it might be not enough thermal paste or poorly spread thermal paste. My i5-2500k over clocked, gets to like 30C under load at max.

friend of mine did who runs a computer store. I talked to him and ill take it there after work tomorow morning see if theres anything wrong with the cooler or something, guess i wont stress it much today just in case

guess ill use today to download FF13 and other stuff i havent yet >_>

Haha :D I have rarely used names I can't "stand behind" still. But of course the only time I did was with PSN... the only thing I can never change :p
My steam name is really bad too but that's just good since no one can figure that out. Having separate account names and profile names should be standard.
My junior high CS 1.6 screen names were all sorts of cringe, no I'm not going to tell you what they were.

Finally finished Sleepy Dawgs last night - great open world, I liked the driving but the shooting wasn't anything to write home about. Of course, the real star is the CQC, which I didn't enjoy an awful lot but at least felt pretty good in terms of controls and movement. Environmental kills made the combat for me!

Also downloaded and completed a Normal playthrough of Quest of Dungeons. Really fun game: very basic but the loot aspect was welcome even if I wasn't sure what some of the stats did. Might play again as a Wizard (I beat it as an Assassin).

Shadownet

Banned
i was joking
this how Ryse look like when you put everything on low , also downgrade the resolution
Oh :( I saw your post on my phone.. So every images look good. Guess I fell for that hard.

Shadownet, you unleashed the apocalypse :D

Shadownet I kinda hate how whenever you use the pay it forward rule you open the gates of hell. :p
EDIT: lol beaten
Hey if you guys don't want free games, I'll just give them to the people over at CS:GO GAF then next time.. But knowing them... They'll probably fence them to fuel their gambling addiction..
I'm kidding.. But no not really. We all have a gambling addiction over there.

Imagine "pay it forward" used in tandem with "mega giver".
I did that once.. You're right. Those two rules should come with a warning.

And he also is throttled now because he claimed a lot of games.
I was just trying to help people get in the giveaways...

shadownet, I missed your post on it, but how is Sleepy Dawgs DE compared to the original? How many GBs does it take up?
Well since someone already told you how much room it take up, I'll tell you this. If you have the original already. Its not worth the upgrade unless you have money laying around. I believe you can still get a ROW copy for around $10. But the visual difference even on max setting isn't that impressive. So I mean unless you don't have the original game, don't buy it. But $10 for the Definitive Edition which come with all the DLCs is very nice.

Sarcasm

Also downloaded and completed a Normal playthrough of Quest of Dungeons. Really fun game: very basic but the loot aspect was welcome even if I wasn't sure what some of the stats did. Might play again as a Wizard (I beat it as an Assassin).

I haven't gotten close to beating it but I been playing on hard. Its fun.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
What are your HDD sizes SteamGaf? Just upgraded from 500gb to 2tb here.

I have a samsung 256 GB ssd for games, OS and programs, and a 4 tb drive for media. Superfast loading for everything, and having a single superlarge drive for media makes it ideal for expansion later on :) (I'm a Plex guy)

I delete games when I finish with them, so I've never really come close to filling up the ssd. Thank god for cloud saves!

Only 4GB will be addressable by games as the way SLI works is that frame data is mirror across each card. This may seem strange, but it's what allows SLI to scale as well as it does.
Wat? Explain this to me as if I was 10, what do you mean its mirrored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom