• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam prices have now fully changed to US Dollars in Argentina plus 100% in taxes.

Boralf

joel mchale pitchfork GIF by NETFLIX

Roni

Gold Member
well, this is the legacy of the Kirchners, maybe Milei will be able to bring Argentina back from the whole situatuion that the Country is in.

Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme wtf are u talking ? he just won the election, he is not the president yet, if u want to blame someone, blame Fernandez.
What happened has nothing to do with politics...

There was a point in time where the country went through 5 presidents in 2 weeks lol, I thought inflation in the west was bad until I heard about Argentina, they're on another level. Hopefully Milei does what he says he's gonna do.
?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Exactly, you use a VPN to shop in the Argentinian or Turkish version of the store (probably 2 most popular countries right now - both fighting with enormous inflation) and for people in other regions (like in Europe or USA) this means much cheaper games.
your avatar heavily influences the way I read your posts

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Weren't Argentinians switching to the USD anyway? Since their currency was losing value by the day people started trading in USD by themselves.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
well, this is the legacy of the Kirchners, maybe Milei will be able to bring Argentina back from the whole situatuion that the Country is in.

Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme wtf are u talking ? he just won the election, he is not the president yet, if u want to blame someone or something you have the Peronismo and Kirchnerismo that had put Argentina to the ground economic speaking.
But he is a lunatic, classist, racist who wants to privatize everything.

Madonis

This was going to happen even if that particular dude had lost. He'll likely be more bark than bite, but who knows?

Either way, the "good" side is this should provide stability to prices...as long as Argentina and Turkey are able to control their inflation. Well, eventually.

The "bad" side, of course, is that'll take time and not all developers/publishers are going to use this new pricing properly. It's not supposed to automatically reflect standard U.S. pricing per se.

Last edited:

A.Romero

So Sony can stop me from buying from the American PSN store but Steam needs to switch currency? Steam also has regional DRM but it seems they see all LATAM as the same region. I can gift a game to a friend in Guatemala but not for one in the US, why wouldn't they do something similar in Argentina?

I think they are just setting the normal pricing (which sometimes can be a bitch like the case of Activision) but because of their switch to USD and the taxes seems to be worse.

Gp1

Weren't Argentinians switching to the USD anyway? Since their currency was losing value by the day people started trading in USD by themselves.

Milei was elected with a minority in both houses. He's going to need some heavy politics happening behind the curtain to govern.

And dollarize the entire economy of a 40m pops country isn't something simple or that will happen overnight.

Argentina barely has a institutional dollar reserve now.

Talking about Steam prices, from what i saw the prices went up roughly 5 to 10x. Some indie games/dlc costing 1000 pesos went to 10-15 dollar.

It effectively killed Steam in the country.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
I don't know why Argentina is always such a basketcase economically. It's been this way for decades when it seems like it should have all the recipes for success. Not trying to be political but it's ridiculous.
Juan Peron wrecked it in the 40’s. He nationalized the central bank, railways, telecommunications, gas, electricity, fishing, air transport steel and insurance industries. He massively expanded the welfare state.

Argentina has never recovered from this, and is still under under his spell. That famous Afuera video of Milei looks to be him finally ending this tragic nonsense.

Milei was elected with a minority in both houses. He's going to need some heavy politics happening behind the curtain to govern.

And dollarize the entire economy of a 40m pops country isn't something simple or that will happen overnight.

Argentina barely has a institutional dollar reserve now.

Talking about Steam prices, from what i saw the prices went up roughly 5 to 10x. Some indie games/dlc costing 1000 pesos went to 10-15 dollar.

It effectively killed Steam in the country.
Yep, that's why Milei's plan will take between 18 to 24 months to fully adopt USD as main currency.

Also, remember the dollar presented there is not the one that people can buy. The one they can buy is the dollar blue which is close to be double of the one shown in Steam. So taxes put steam price in line with dollar blue

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
America Latrina has a passion for taxes.
Too many public employees and relatively small/weak economies. Need that sweet tax money to pay for all these public services no one asked for. It is almost like all LA country thinks that they are Norway but with a poor African country economy. Argentina, for example, has like 40% of active population working for the gov.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
It was one of the proposal of the elected president. To be honest, I don’t believe he will. It is actually a pretty dumb idea to loose monetary independence when you are a country that basically lives from commodity exports. Most likely is that they will defunct the current currency and create a new one.

ThisIsMyDog

What does that have to do with it?
Prices in Germany and Portugal have different prices for physical goods, despite being a single market for much longer.
Everything, because of this policy steam can't no longer block Germans from buying digital games in Portugal, because it would be illegal. So publishers simply raised prices in poorer regions, and that's how they fixed it.

winjer

Gold Member
Everything, because of this policy steam can't no longer block Germans from buying digital games in Portugal, because it would be illegal. So publishers simply raised prices in poorer regions, and that's how they fixed it.

But that doesn't excuse Steam pushing prices to it's maximum.
If they were honest, they would average out the purchasing power of all EU members.
That would avoid consumers in poorer countries from getting thoroughly shafted...

Heimdall_Xtreme

If you have been lived in Argentina, you would agree on privatizing most of state companies.
About the rest, it's better to get to the source of information (listen himself speaking) instead of relying on yellow journalism.
Javier Milei will practically disappear from the State of Argentina: there will be no public education or health services for the people or anything that has to do with rights.

Yes, that guy is a danger to Argentina, apart from being vulgar and crazy.

I do see that things are going to get worse with this guy.

martinzxr

Neo Member
Javier Milei will practically disappear from the State of Argentina: there will be no public education or health services for the people or anything that has to do with rights.

You live in argentina???

martinzxr

Neo Member
I live here (in peronian), one outsider guy in two year win the elecctions, becouse the policits here are corrupted. The peoples (55%) choice this, we have 160 170% the inflation in the current year.
If you not live here, you dont anything who is day by day here.
Mira vivo aca en peronia, un loco de afuera de la politica en 2 años les gano las elecciones porque el gobierno actual son todos una mangas de inutiles y ladrones, 160 170% de inflacion en el año, en 4 años de ningun sindicato les hizo paro, ahora seguro que el dia 1 de milei lo van a llenar de paros, porque los kirneristas sin estar en el poder son destructivos, lo unico que hicieron son crear gente pobre porque los utilizan, les dan plata y se hace los salvadores y los politicos mientras estan de vacaciones lujosas, la gente se muere de hambre.

nial

Gold Member
I don't know why Argentina is always such a basketcase economically. It's been this way for decades when it seems like it should have all the recipes for success. Not trying to be political but it's ridiculous.
Because you have the retards coming from the same place govern it over and over again.

Big misunderstanding of what he plans to do.

Do you know that 50% of argentinian kids that finish school don't comprehend texts? Then of what "public" education are you talking about?

What Milei wants to do is a voucher system where families decide where they want their kids to go. That makes each school compete with each other to provide better services so that improves the education system.

Do you know that the government that it's governing right now led the inflation to 140%? (average; there are industries that reached 350% and 650%). Inflation occurs because the government is inefficient and the only way they know how to pay debt is by printing money. Printing money devalues Argentinian peso.

Milei proposes to disband the central bank because it's the organism that dictates the money printing. Together with making US Dollars the official currency you 'remove' inflation (you tie it up with US inflation which is leaps better than the Argentinian).
Most argentinians save in US Dollars so it makes sense to make it the official currency.

Public health services? Really? You never been to Argentina. I invite you to call an ambulance when you're in an emergency and have to wait half an hour for it to arrive.
Milei also proposes the same voucher system as with education. Each citizen decides where to put their taxes money in.

Also he wants to fire every state worker that is a parasite and doesn't do their job.

You shouldn't talk about what you don't know, especially if you haven't ever put a foot in Argentina.

I lived there for 30 years and I had to leave the country because I value my life, the future of my family and I've the luck of being able to move out.

I hope Milei does what he says and we get governments like his for 20 years more so I can some day come back.

Gp1

Milei proposes to disband the central bank because it's the organism that dictates the money printing. Together with making US Dollars the official currency you 'remove' inflation (you tie it up with US inflation which is leaps better than the Argentinian).
Most argentinians save in US Dollars so it makes sense to make it the official currency.

If you secure enough dollars for the entire economy.

Guilty_AI

But that doesn't excuse Steam pushing prices to it's maximum.
If they were honest, they would average out the purchasing power of all EU members.
That would avoid consumers in poorer countries from getting thoroughly shafted...
Steam doesn't set the prices, the publishers and developers do.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Big misunderstanding of what he plans to do.

Do you know that 50% of argentinian kids that finish school don't comprehend texts? Then of what "public" education are you talking about?

What Milei wants to do is a voucher system where families decide where they want their kids to go. That makes each school compete with each other to provide better services so that improves the education system.

Do you know that the government that it's governing right now led the inflation to 140%? (average; there are industries that reached 350% and 650%). Inflation occurs because the government is inefficient and the only way they know how to pay debt is by printing money. Printing money devalues Argentinian peso.

Public health services? Really? You never been to Argentina. I invite you to call an ambulance when you're in an emergency and have to wait half an hour for it to arrive.
Milei also proposes the same voucher system as with education. Each citizen decides where to put their taxes money in.

Also he wants to fire every state worker that is a parasite and doesn't do their job.

You shouldn't talk about what you don't know, especially if you haven't ever put a foot in Argentina.

I lived there for 30 years and I had to leave the country because I value my life, the future of my family and I've the luck of being able to move out.

I hope Milei does what he says and we get governments like his for 20 years more so I can some day come back.
No dude..With all respect.... Milei is a fcking traitor... a Danger to Argentina...

That guy is crazy, Milei, he is privatizing the health sector, he is deciding to end public education, he wants to end Argentine companies and wants the currency to be in dollars... that guy won the elections Hitler style, deception to the people with high inflation saying that he is going to "Save the country" if he is not interested in the people, but rather in the interests of this misogynistic president who is Milei.

Unknown?

No dude..With all respect.... Milei is a fcking traitor... a Danger to Argentina...

That guy is crazy, Milei, he is privatizing the health sector, he is deciding to end public education, he wants to end Argentine companies and wants the currency to be in dollars... that guy won the elections Hitler style, deception to the people with high inflation saying that he is going to "Save the country" if he is not interested in the people, but rather in the interests of this misogynistic president who is Milei.
This sounds like propaganda tbh.

Havoc2049

Yikes at those taxes! 💀☠️ Argentinians being fleeced by their government. Hopefully things improve for everyone there.

Top Bottom