• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam] Redfall failed to crack in top #100 during Launch Week

Hot5pur

Should not have hyped it as much, clearly ended up being gamepass fodder.

Makes me think M$ will be lazy about getting games into good shape and just release them as gamepass fodder if things go sideways. If you're releasing games for "free" on your service anyway on day one and you have a 7/10 on your hands, why bother making it any better since subscribers will be perfectly happy to accept it.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Snowy_Owl_Nyctea_scandiaca_006-by_John_White-m.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Alarm bells sounding off, YouTubers shredding the game, people talking about how bad it is on Twitter…

Of course it didn’t crack the top 100.

Glad to see Age of Wonders 4 take the top spot.

MOTM

Banned

Makes me think M$ will be lazy about getting games into good shape and just release them as gamepass fodder if things go sideways. If you're releasing games for "free" on your service anyway on day one and you have a 7/10 on your hands, why bother making it any better since subscribers will be perfectly happy to accept it.
What the hell are you on about?

Gears 5
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
MS Flight Simulator
Grounded
Pentiment
Age of Empires IV
Hi-Fi Rush
Minecraft Legends

Were all day one releases on Game Pass. And if not mistaken all scored 80+ on meta.

Last edited:
I feel like Microsoft is actually relieved. Any copies they sell are just going to further the outrage and disappointment.

I think they want to get the 60 FPS patch out and move as far away from this, as fast as possible.

feynoob

Banned

What you said is crap shit.

This game is just shit. Has nothing to do with gamepass.

Kilau

Lying Season 4 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

graywolf323

I’m still amazed that this is the game Microsoft thought was a good one to be the first with their hike to $70, for all the flack Sony got for that it’s been surprisingly quiet regarding Redfall

at least Nintendo is doing it with the new Zelda…

Hot5pur

Gears 5
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
MS Flight Simulator
Grounded
Pentiment
Age of Empires IV
Hi-Fi Rush
Minecraft Legends

Were all day one releases on Game Pass. And if not mistaken all scored 80+ on meta.

What you said is crap shit.

This game is just shit. Has nothing to do with gamepass.

I think there is misinterpretation of my point. I'm not saying M$ will intentionally make lazy games for gamepass. What I am saying it may motivate them not to delay games and put out more half assed efforts if their games experience major setbacks. This is already happening across the industry with half broken games releasing, gamepass would just encourage more of this for M$.

feynoob

Banned
I think there is misinterpretation of my point. I'm not saying M$ will intentionally make lazy games for gamepass. What I am saying it may motivate them not to delay games and put out more half assed efforts if their games experience major setbacks. This is already happening across the industry with half broken games releasing, gamepass would just encourage more of this for M$.
They delayed starfield and redfall, that kind defeats your argument.

Redfall was hand free from them.

Ar¢tos

Gears 5
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
MS Flight Simulator
Grounded
Pentiment
Age of Empires IV
Hi-Fi Rush
Minecraft Legends

Poster said "will be", future tense...

Hot5pur

They delayed starfield and redfall, that kind defeats your argument.

Redfall was hand free from them.
Some games, like Halo, they can't risk their reputation on. With redfall nothing was stopping them from delaying further and at least fixing the AI. I don't buy the argument that delaying it more would not have improved it. It was easier to cut their losses by having gamepass around.

MOTM

Banned

Gears 5
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
MS Flight Simulator
Grounded
Pentiment
Hi-Fi Rush
Minecraft Legends

Were all day one releases on Game Pass. And if not mistaken all scored 80+ on meta. Also 95% of games on GP are third party.

You sound like you're 14 years old. Hopefully you're not older than that.

Phil Spencer seems to enjoy it. He's always playing it. Maybe the only person in the world playing this game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You'd be surprised how insightful 14 year olds can be compared to people who can only childishly attack other character instead of engaging with their ideas.

You don't $ay?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Whatever your thoughts are on Gamepass, they sell their games on Steam and at retail. This notion that their games are meant to be handed out for free and they don’t push for quality is just inane console warring.

You'd be surprised how insightful 14 year olds can be compared to people who can only childishly attack other character instead of engaging with their ideas.

What ideas?

Why buy a game when you can try it on gamepass for way less money? Especially when you’ve stacked gamepass for two years at $1 a month or whatever. I’m not saying the game is a hit, but who’s paying $60 or $70 when you can play it for much, much less?

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Whatever your thoughts are on Gamepass, they sell their games on Steam and at retail. This notion that their games are meant to be handed out for free and they don’t push for quality is just inane console warring.

What ideas?
Again, not my point.
Of course they push for quality. They don't want gamepass to become a place for shovelware. What I am saying is gamepass, from time to time, can motivate them to skimp on quality if a game has particularly troublesome development. I can be an easy way out and still extract some value out of the game.

The case with Redfall, the AI is clearly something that could have used more time in the oven. Rather than delay further, they can just toss is on gamepass and call it a day. It just seems to me it's another avenue to cut losses without taking as much of a hit for releasing a half baked game.

There are already memes going around of "good enough for gamepass". Will this eventually lead to the average quality of first party Microsoft games going down? I don't mean they will be outright bad, just that there will be downward pressure on game quality.

winjer

Gold Member
People were already fearing the game would be crap, even before launch.
Then it launched, and all doubts were confirmed. it's crap.

I wonder if Microsoft will share gamepass numbers, which I'm guessing will still be very good. It would be such a marketing fail if they did that. Might as well stamp "good enough for Gamepass" on the title

Top Bottom