• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam] Redfall failed to crack in top #100 during Launch Week

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't understand...MS says Gamepass boosts game sales...yet when games debut lower or don't debut on the charts the excuse is "it's on Gamepass"?
Which one is the truth? It's hard to keep up.

That never made sense to me, and regardless of them saying it - I refuse to believe it.

If I’m paying for a subscription every month, why on Earth would I go buy a game that’s already available to me through the subscription? If anything I’m going to buy something else.

The only exception would be if I really liked a game and wanted to have it after it was pulled from the subscription lineup.

GHG

Currently top 20 on Xbox Live.
Steam charts are borderline useless for Gamepass games.

People have no problem talking about Steam sales for gamepass games when they sell.

It's far from useless, especially not on PC where the vast majority of gamers prefer to purchase games on Steam rather than battle with the windows store/xbox app.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
That never made sense to me, and regardless of them saying it - I refuse to believe it.

If I’m paying for a subscription every month, why on Earth would I go buy a game that’s already available to me through the subscription? If anything I’m going to buy something else.

The only exception would be if I really liked a game and wanted to have it after it was pulled from the subscription lineup.
I think the reasoning is that subscribers would try games they would have never bought before and positive word of mouth would get people that are not subscribers to either subscribe or buy. There's also the weird group that buys a game multiple times to support the devs. Never got that one personally.

Buggy Loop

Saturday Morning Halloween GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That was literally the title of Engadget's review:

And many of us called it when we said that phrase and mental conditioning would be normalized eventually with these types of services pushed to the forefront. It's getting there at a rapid pace.

yazenov

I don't understand...MS says Gamepass boosts game sales...yet when games debut lower or don't debut on the charts the excuse is "it's on Gamepass"?

Same as the claim that console sales don't matter and we are not competing with Sony and Nintendo, but when they are selling more than the competition due to shortages they shout from the rooftop beating their chests.

Again, not my point.
Of course they push for quality. They don't want gamepass to become a place for shovelware. What I am saying is gamepass, from time to time, can motivate them to skimp on quality if a game has particularly troublesome development. I can be an easy way out and still extract some value out of the game.

The case with Redfall, the AI is clearly something that could have used more time in the oven. Rather than delay further, they can just toss is on gamepass and call it a day. It just seems to me it's another avenue to cut losses without taking as much of a hit for releasing a half baked game.

There are already memes going around of "good enough for gamepass". Will this eventually lead to the average quality of first party Microsoft games going down? I don't mean they will be outright bad, just that there will be downward pressure on game quality.

I don't think RedFall ever went gold, which would further add to your point. Has any game ever not gone gold but still released anyway? Can't think of any examples.

Sea of thieves as sold well on steam. And Forza. It's just ass.

Selling well on Steam doesn't mean much because usually games on Steam sell several magnitudes less than counterparts on console, outside of very rare exceptions where the splits are more even.

Microsoft's games are not part of those rare exceptions from what I can tell.

Shubh_C63

Skillup vid showed Steam page where Redfall was the 17th most negative reviewed game in the steam library given number of reviews.

What exactly was Microsoft's internal quality dept doing. Quarterly reports and hand-on demos for your billion dollar acquisitions are not happening ?

Jooxed

Gold Member
I tried this on game pass on release, and it was just ..off. I really liked the art style.. to me it just felt pretty clunky

demigod

The announcement a few days ago was that Redfall made $3 million on Steam in three days. If that's true and the Steam price is $70, that means 3,000,000x.70.

That means that in three days just on Steam and nowhere else, Redfall sold 2.1 million copies, pretty good.
Not even in top 100 yet gamesensor said it sold 50k copies, sounded bs to me.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Gamepass can boost sales of relative unknown games that had zero marketing.

On anything with a decent advertising budget it'll have the opposite effect.

It's a gamepass game, reviewed poorly that can be played on PC without the need to buy it on Steam (because of gamepass). yeah, not surprising at all.
But uncle Phil said in the beginning of the Gamepass era that Gamepass actually will rise individual game sales (really wonder how anyone could think that that could even be remotely true).

Which you would/might do if they didn’t release almost exclusively indie games on the service nowadays.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
He didn't say when sales will be boosted and for what games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is a case where I genuinely feel anyone that bought it was completely ripped off, so I hope sales were as miniscule as possible and they all got a steam refund.

I will say that something really positive is coming out of this and I've confirmed this.

Due to this game's failures, measures will be taken internally to ensure that I will play Age Of Wonders 4 all thanks to this thread.

Tom Cruise 80S GIF

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
But uncle Phil said in the beginning of the Gamepass era that Gamepass actually will rise individual game sales (really wonder how anyone could think that that could even be remotely true).
Seems like it does for certain games. Especially good indie games and stuff like Sea of Thieves.

fermcr

Is it surprising?...
Bad games normally have poor sales.
Forspoken wasn't on Gamepass, also had bad sales.

Top Bottom