• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

The original PC port is still very good, would be perfectly acceptable even if you don't want to pay for the new version.

I think I will wait for 3DS Xenoblade.

Not going to lie actual controller support is one of the big reasons why I got the Anniversary editon.

Well, I didn't get through as much as my backlog as I would have liked. Ah well, hopefully I can still find the time to do some gaming this month.

The original PC port is still very good, would be perfectly acceptable even if you don't want to pay for the new version.

I think I will wait for 3DS Xenoblade.

Given you can get Anniversary for 12-15 dollars it's probably worth just getting the new version. Graphical upgrade is rather extreme.

And it will be hard to go from dolphin Xenoblade to 3DS Xenoblade but I'll be getting one of the new XL systems anyway so I'll probably grab it just to support the game. Maybe they will add some new content.

Miguel81

Yup!
All in all, even if it was way too intense for me, I deeply loved that experience and I guess most of my fascination for some kind of things.
Like I dunno, I may be the only dude in a mostly sunny area to actually prefer fog to sun.
Or the one time a mannequin company asked me to design their website but when I visited their showroom I backed away as fast as I could. :D

I can't look at a mannequin without thinking Condemned CO.

Grief.exe

Not going to lie actual controller support is one of the big reasons why I got the Anniversary editon.

I really liked the M/KB controls for Fable, but if you need a controller that may be the way to go.

Though I'd imagine the original port is compatible with directinput.

Andrefpvs

^This is my Steam front page experience ever since I installed Enhanced Steam.

btw, I almost accidentally spat on my keyboard reading the thread title. Give me keys, pls

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I need to remind myself, any time I think to myself, "Maybe I should check out the Steam forums," for any game, don't. They make it sound like every game is the worst game ever.

I need to remind myself, any time I think to myself, "Maybe I should check out the Steam forums," for any game, don't. They make it sound like every game is the worst game ever.

That sounds like the internet to me in general. Forums can make eternal happiness sound like the worst thing since Uplay.

Chariot

Fable anniversary come with achievements? Probably beat Fable Lost chapters about 5 times by now.
I hope they do additional quests too. He same would make it so easy to add more side quests. If it would come with new content I would actually buy it.

Grief.exe

Sarcasm

B y chance anybody remember that site that looks at your duplicate cards and searches for other people to trade for rest of set?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
oh I must say the gushing over Pinball FX2 has me really perturbed...
tell me, those who claim it is amazingly fun.. have you ever played an actual pinball machine?

every Pinball FX2 table I've played is so boring and insipid and has virtually no challenge in keeping the ball alive to the point that it just becomes tedious to play..

Pinball Arcade FTW

Aye I have played pinball in real life, and I didn't get much enjoyment out of them like I do this one or Pokemon Pinball or Metroid Pinball and other non-standard Pinball games.

It's not designed around coin eating game play, the tables aren't designed to constantly try and make you lose the ball, and it's designed to have people seek to get ridiculous high scores tables physical tables and their simulations would never get for the average player. Zen Pinball FX2 is a fun arcade experience where a lot of the joy comes not from "I can keep this ball alive forever!", but rather completing the board and accomplishing all that it offers with the knowledge that the majority of the time the ball will be lost because you messed up, failed a mission, or didn't react in time.
Tis true you can keep the ball around for a very long time, in a way that if one wants to just casually and relaxingly play, the can enjoy it akin to an endless mode in a puzzle game as long as they keep up at it or want to keep playing, making it a Zen experience. It's in the name after all. When I simply want to relax and keep the ball going through all the loops and have a smile on my face on Ms. Splosion Man table as I listen to some jazz during a rainy night, I can do so and enjoy it all without even needing to care about score. Not something I do regurally, but it's nice I can do so.

There is challenge if one wants it, in the same way as any pinball through getting a good score. Simply keeping the ball alive doesn't mean one without any skill will do well in points, and by seeking some of the high scores on certain tables can result in lost balls due to certain challenges.
The meat of the game over Pinball Arcade or others that seek to be as near as possible electronic analogues of the physical game, of which this is not just as Mario Kart is not a physical representation of KZ/Formula C racing, but rather an arcade experience where you seek to get high scores, have multi-ball and do as well with them as possible, find hidden secrets in the game (such as the simple shoot-em-up in a Star Wars table), and complete missions (tasks to do in game).
Is it the same challenge as mastering The Twilight Zone pinball table in real life by getting the best score in the world? Nay. Yet it's a challenge for many to get all the Avenger balls to complete their mission and fully defeat Loki, and a large number of players across all the platforms have not accomplished this.

Some enjoy the game because they are different representations of stories they experienced as comics or movies or games and it's interesting to see all of that in a different light or fashion. Some enjoy finding secrets or references because they care about the franchise it comes from. Some get a lot out of seeing how they took an aspect from the lore the table is based on and implemented it be it getting higher score because Wolverine is in his rage mode or defeating a villain from Star Wars by recreating a trap seen in one of the cartoons.

Many can also get enjoyment out of the game offering tables that do more than what is constrained by physical constraints in the real world. PIN•BOT is a classic table to be sure, full of love for it by many a person, but it will never feature playing the table upside down, time dilation, or the ball randomly teleporting around as it can at different points in The Infinity Gauntlet table.

From my perspective, it's the same as the difference between original Pac-Man and Pac-Man Championship Edition series, both the same core game play, but different focuses and mindsets in what they are having you do for the "fun" of the game. Do you want a game where you need to master it all, but it never stops being arcade coin eater or, or one where you can keep playing as you mess up and keep trying to get the best possible run you can. Neither is bad, just to different tastes.
Many of us do love Zen Pinball FX2, but it's not going to be for everyone and if it's tedium educing for you for you either without attempting to do the missions and challenges, or despite them because you simply don't care about those aspects, then I would say simply don't play it any more.

Enjoyment, no matter what type of pinball one prefers, for the win.

Uzzy

Of course there's a Ghost in the Shell module for Shadowrun: Returns. Sadly, it's not very long.

74WurmN.png

oh I must say the gushing over Pinball FX2 has me really perturbed...
tell me, those who claim it is amazingly fun.. have you ever played an actual pinball machine?

every Pinball FX2 table I've played is so boring and insipid and has virtually no challenge in keeping the ball alive to the point that it just becomes tedious to play..

Pinball Arcade FTW

I was wondering this as well, so I've downloaded the base game and will check it out. I never really understood any previous pc pinball games before, but maybe this one. Need some greasy pizza and beer.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The Dear Leader, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The Dear Leader, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Halo: Spartan Assault #2 -- MB-58FB433C127A131C - Taken by fernandes. 10 entrants total.
Halo: Spartan Assault -- MB-42BAEC6AB833CBF7 - Taken by ScreamingTrees. 7 entrants total.

t1409530833z1.png

Agh, I think I've decided, I'm going to order an Oculus Rift DK2 in a couple of days!

I have the first one and really think it's something special and the potential is mindblowing. Really looking forward to the second model coming in, especially now that I've had lasik and can see without the b/c lenses which distorted the pixels even further.

Uzzy

I desire this.

Here you go.

As I said, it's very short though. It was designed as a 'vertical slice' of a bigger campaign, only the bigger campaign isn't something that's being made. Still, it's pretty neat to play about in the GITS universe.

Is it actually any good though? So many mods have promise but quickly descend into a mess of broken english.

It's basically a short combat mission set in the GITS universe, and unfortunately once you take the magic out of Shadowrun's combat, it becomes a bit dull. If there was more chance to roleplay and do some investigations, I'd love it. I'm hoping the module builder actually does some more with it though.

Monooboe

I have the first one and really think it's something special and the potential is mindblowing. Really looking forward to the second model coming in, especially now that I've had lasik and can see without the b/c lenses which distorted the pixels even further.

Good to hear! I'm ready to have my mind blown, though I am kind of worried that I might have quite too high expectations. Also I am blind or isn't there a VR tag on Steam?o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom