• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Summer Sale 2016] Indie-pendent Hidden Gem Recommendations

Speevy

Banned
Please add Kero Blaster if you haven't already.

The game is simple fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/292500/

You control a little dinosaur who can shoot rapid-fire bullets. The gameplay starts out easy enough, but grows challenging over time. There are upgrades and items to help you along your quest. The game I believe comes from the developer who made Cave Story.

Please add Kero Blaster if you haven't already.

The game is simple fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/292500/

You control a little dinosaur who can shoot rapid-fire bullets. The gameplay starts out easy enough, but grows challenging over time. There are upgrades and items to help you along your quest. The game I believe comes from the developer who made Cave Story.

Correct.

Als worth noting: Pink Hour and Pink Heaven are demos of Kero Blaster... basically.

Fudo Myo

Got another one for you. This one came up in my discovery queue (I'll be damned, the discovery queue thing actually works) -- price + reviews were too good to pass up. I can say I am not disappointed; in fact, it's better than I expected.

ENYO Arcade
Currently-42% at $/€2.89
http://store.steampowered.com/app/321330/
header.jpg

Precision platformer run-and-gun with a smidgen of Metroidvania -- it even has a morphball mechanic. A bit like Risk of Rain meets Super Meat Boy but NOT procedurally generated. Fun weapon variety, stellar pixel art for what it is (though enemies can sometimes be difficult to see), and a great soundtrack. The dev is dedicated and stays on top of issues. If this sounds like your bag, then I highly recommend this game.

ss_22c01095a29714fd813a50abea2ceeeefe1ed7c2.1920x1080.jpg

Fudo Myo

OK, OK, uno mas. Saw this in the shmup thread, read the reviews, thought I'd pick it up. It's my new favourite shooter.

Roche Fusion: All You Can Shoot Buffet
Currently -75% for $/€3.00

header.jpg

Pure unadulterated pew-pew. Great enemy variety, tight controls, and pick-ups galore -- perhaps the most plentiful and easiest to manage ship customisation of any shooter I've ever seen. Nice soundtrack and great neon graphics. If you like your shmups, this is a must.

Here's my recommendation:

Reveal The Deep
Reveal the Deep is a very short, very enjoyable, very atmospheric part platformer, part puzzle, part horror, part walking simulator indie game that was to me the kind of fun I've had from no other game since Eric Chachi's Another World. Without spoiling too much, it's about a deep sea diver exploring and revealing the mysteries of a sunken explorer ship from the 19th century. In this 2 hour adventure, you will be doing some light platforming (although there is one frustratingly difficult jump at the very end), some puzzle solving (often involving pushing crates, pulling levers or stepping into an alternate reality), enjoying a wonderful spooky pixel setting that scares without being too oppressive and revealing the rather Lovecraftian fate of the derelict you are in. The game could definitely benefit from some tighter platforming but the recently added gamepad support should help with that. Regardless Reveal the Deep asks for neither much of your time or your money for what it offers, and I think you should play it.

You got me at "Eric Chahi", and then you made it absolutely impossible for me not to buy it by calling it "lovecraftian". Also, I love short games and the price is so low that I certainly won't regret buying it anyway. Thanks for the tip!

Mechazawa

Since I don't see it in the OP:

Lisa - $4.99 (50% off)

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/335670/

Lisa is probably the funniest game on Steam while simultaneously also being the most horrifying. You play as Brad, karate master, and gather a crew as you set out on a mission across the wasteland, brought on by the reality of a world where there are no longer any women. Lisa is a pretty conventional party-based RPG, but it's also a pretty rough one and makes no bones about trying to consistently fuck the player over. If you can survive the abuse and wade through the sea of dipshits, you'll be treated to sorrow, anger, degeneracy, body horror, and yet, somehow, some of the best comedy writing ever in a video game.

And the soundtrack's pretty bangin' too.

Top Bottom