• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Versions Batman:AA/AC & Bioshock 2 Adding Achievements, Removing GFWL/Securom?

Grief.exe

Pardon my ignorance but the does any version of arkham city will be getting this patch or just the GOTY edition?

It looks like just the GOTY edition will roll out first.

I don't know if they will then go back and update the regular versions of both AC and AA, but whatever studio is working on the update hasn't updated either of those apps at all.

They may leave them behind, but updates to those versions should be trivial after the GOTY version is finished, and DLC could be put up for individual sale again so they would be motivated for that reason.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Pardon my ignorance but the does any version of arkham city will be getting this patch or just the GOTY edition?
We don't know yet. Common sense and basic decency would make you think, of course. But then you look at the registry and literally none of these changes are going into the non-goty version.

morningbus

They better let me upgrade.
I think they'd just rather sell you another Steam entry that reads Batman (R): Arkham City (tm): Game of the Year Edition and charge you 5 dollars for the pleasure.

XOMTOR

I think they'd just rather sell you another Steam entry that reads Batman (R): Arkham City (tm): Game of the Year Edition and charge you 5 dollars for the pleasure.

More than likely. Wouldn't be such a bitter pill to swallow except for seeing 2 entries for the same game on my Steam profile (one being broken) and the fact that save files aren't compatible between versions.

Grief.exe

More than likely. Wouldn't be such a bitter pill to swallow except for seeing 2 entries for the same game on my Steam profile (one being broken) and the fact that save files aren't compatible between versions.

When you upgrade, it will remove the regular edition of Arkham City or Arkham Asylum from your library and replace the entry with the GOTY edition.

neoism

It looks like just the GOTY edition will roll out first.

I don't know if they will then go back and update the regular versions of both AC and AA, but whatever studio is working on the update hasn't updated either of those apps at all.

They may leave them behind, but updates to those versions should be trivial after the GOTY version is finished, and DLC could be put up for individual sale again so they would be motivated for that reason.
-_____________________-
well I'm glad i got so excited for nothing.. got the regular edition with the skin and Harley dlc ...:/ will not rebuy....

XOMTOR

When you upgrade, it will remove the regular edition of Arkham City or Arkham Asylum from your library and replace the entry with the GOTY edition.

Well that's a bit better then, thanks. It also appears that it may be possible to hack GFWL saves between versions but it sounds a bit convoluted. Don't know if it's possible to hack a previous online save to an offline one. Luckily, I've always used offline since I don't care about gamerscore or whatever it's called.

I've been hoping they'd give vanilla owners some kind of upgrade option for a while now. I have vanilla AC, with all the DLC bought separately, so it's the GOTY version in everything but name. Drives me mad every time I look at my Steam library and see Batman: Arkham City sitting right underneath Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition :p

szaromir

Banned
I played through Minerva's Den. Now I'm ready to lose access to it forever, Bioshock games are good but not good enough to warrant replaying them.

Arkham City is one of my favorite games of all time, even though I already have all the DLC including Harley's Revenge from the GFWL store, I would gladly pay to upgrade to a version without GFWL and with Steamworks.

But only if there were some way to transfer my saves and Steam achievements. Though honestly 100%ing the game again on Hard wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing, but I'd prefer to just have it as an option.

Luckily I already have the GOTY edition of Asylum, and already got all the cheevos.

Grief.exe

Dark Souls could be getting a GFWL removal patch as well, too early to tell right now

Dark Souls registry entry added a beta depot late last night. It is called '8.21.13 Update' and it is locked behind a password.

Dark Souls has literally had one update since it was released, and the update occurred not long after the release date.

morningbus

Do the following From:

Contact Durante, add DDFix to the install folder.

Insert menu options that directly edit the DSFix ini file, but leave out the options that affect the game's compatibility like 60fps (leave it in the ini, though).

Remove GFWL. Insert Steamworks.

DTKT

Regarding Bioshock 2, I have a gift copy that I've been sitting on in anticipation of the removal of GFWL. Should I redeem it now or can I wait for the update? I assume that the gift will still be valid.

Grief.exe

Regarding Bioshock 2, I have a gift copy that I've been sitting on in anticipation of the removal of GFWL. Should I redeem it now or can I wait for the update? I assume that the gift will still be valid.

You can activate it now, or you can wait. The game will still be valid after the update.

My copy of Bioshock 2 had an update on Monday I think, could that be connected to the GFWL removal and controller support?

The update on Monday was just to Redist and DirectX. So nothing big yet.

Grief.exe

It would be so fucking great if GFWL got replaced with Steamworks in that game specifically. I think it has the most to gain from the change.

Steamworks has a P2P matchmake option built in, the infrastructure is already in place. Just on From to follow through.

Multiplayer matchmaking

Steamworks' multiplayer back-end is powered by robust matchmaking and lobby technology. The same technology that drives the quick and accurate match-ups in Left 4 Dead can be used in your game. Works with both peer-to-peer and server-based games. Steamworks' built-in voice functionality enables players to work quickly to strategize their next mission.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Here's hoping that Capcom would go back to RE5 and do this as well. And while they are at it, port the DLC to PC.
I bought the Gold Edition on PS3, and then got it free from PS+.
I'd still pay
USD 5
for Steamworks-based Gold PC Edition.

ArjanN

Someone on my steam feed is claiming Fallout 3 now runs without GFWL and the DLC still works.

Can someone confirm this?

Here's hoping that Capcom would go back to RE5 and do this as well. And while they are at it, port the DLC to PC.

Nicolas%20Cage%20laughing%20like%20a%20mad%20man.gif

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I would personally prefer a RE4 HD edition PC port.

You realize you can just download RE4 PC and use a bunch of mods that give you everything RE4 HD edition(which is not much considering it was just a simple upres port) and more along with KB+M right? No need for a RE4 HD pc port when the community already made a better HD version than capcom already can.

Only cons are the cutscenes.

You realize you can just download RE4 PC and use a bunch of mods that give you everything RE4 HD edition(which is not much considering it was just a simple upres port) and more along with KB+M right? No need for a RE4 HD pc port when the community already made a better HD version than capcom already can.

And lighting, and also models (unless there is a mod to replace them with the GameCube ones) ?

pa22word

If you really want a concrete answer you might wanna go raise a ruckus over on the unity forums under the "Ask Capcom" section.

vg260

If you really want a concrete answer you might wanna go raise a ruckus over on the unity forums under the "Ask Capcom" section.

I can't find the post, but they said not to long ago RE5 DLC for PC was never greenlighted for development or budgeted (obviously), which implies it wasn't worth the cost to port. They pretty much put the idea to bed. There's probably even less money to be made now, even if they do strip out GFWL.

Grief.exe

Someone on my steam feed is claiming Fallout 3 now runs without GFWL and the DLC still works.

Can someone confirm this?

Your friend is just confused, Fallout 3 was never very pushy about its GFWL integration in the first place. I guarantee it is installed on his system.

The argument is pointless, the app hasn't been updated in months, and those updates were just house keeping.

Except that the models and geometry are from the PS2 version of the game, M/KB controls are seriously fucked, and the lighting is still not right.

You can play the Wii version in Dolphin with texture mods.

This is currently the best way to experience RE4 on PC.

pa22word

I can't find the post, but they said not to long ago RE5 DLC for PC was never greenlighted for development or budgeted (obviously), which implies it wasn't worth the cost to port. They pretty much put the idea to bed. There's probably even less money to be made now, even if they do strip out GFWL.

Actually I believe the real reason was, according to sven, that the team had already disbanded and Capcom didn't want to waste the time pulling people from several different currently on-going projects in order to reassemble the team and "port" (I use the marks because with MT framework it isn't really porting to PC as much as it is optimizing, because with MT framework everything is dev'd on PC first anyways) the content. Sven said he threw quite a big fit about it, and made it clear to the head honchos over in Japan that it was unacceptable, and damaged their reputation with PC gamers. And while I know gaf likes to shit on the man for perceived lies, I tend to think this is true because ever since then I think every piece of DLC for any capcom game that has a PCv eventually made its way to PC.

Parsnip

Actually I believe the real reason was, according to sven, that the team had already disbanded and Capcom didn't want to waste the time pulling people from several different currently on-going projects in order to reassemble the team and "port" (I use the marks because with MT framework it isn't really porting to PC as much as it is optimizing, because with MT framework everything is dev'd on PC first anyways) the content. Sven said he threw quite a big fit about it, and made it clear to the head honchos over in Japan that it was unacceptable, and damaged their reputation with PC gamers. And while I know gaf likes to shit on the man for perceived lies, I tend to think this is true because ever since then I think every piece of DLC for any capcom game that has a PCv eventually made its way to PC.

Keep the hope alive!

Seriously though, I do wonder what kind of effort it would take. The size of those DLCs isn't exactly huge, just push the work to couple junior programmers and gain some brownie points with the community by doing right by them, even if it's a little late. :p

vg260

Found it (from Jan 2013):
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...pc-just-like-revelations?post_num=7#528477975
Sven said:
That content was never been greenlit for PC thus no budget exists to do that work (RE5 was developed internally and that team isn't available either). And there's no forecast at this point that could give a positive P&L that would enable such a task to get greenlit.

Sorry, but it's not the same thing.

pa22word

He's answered that same topic on RE5's dlc over a dozen times, so the fact you found one that didn't match exactly what I said isn't that surprising.

That isn't even getting into if you read between the lines of that particular post you'll find sorta what I said in that particular answer ("the team wasn't available"). And I'm sorry, no budget existing in 2013 to port the DLC =/= the content wasn't ported because they didn't think it would sell enough to turn a profit when the content actually launched. It means they don't think it would turn a profit if they broke down and ported it today, which is probably true at this point.

vg260

It means they don't think it would turn a profit if they broke down and ported it today, which is probably true at this point.

Yeah, that's just the most recent response on the status before he left. I think that's the gist of it at this point now, unfortunately.

Top Bottom