• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Versions Batman:AA/AC & Bioshock 2 Adding Achievements, Removing GFWL/Securom?

This is great for these 2 games, but has there been any info from Microsoft about what is going to happen with all the other titles that use GFWL? There are a crap ton of titles (70+ according to this Wiki)that I certainly don't want to lose access to.

Grief.exe

This is great for these three games, but has there been any info from Microsoft about what is going to happen with all the other titles that use GFWL? There are a crap ton of titles (70+ according to this Wiki)that I certainly don't want to lose access to.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is getting GFWL removed, confirmed by developer. He was happy to be rid of the thing.

Halo series is rumored to be coming to Steam early next year, so Halo 2 may have GFWL removed. I would like to see other Microsoft titles make the switch like Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Shadowrun, etc, but that is just my desire to have those games on Steam.

Dark Souls registry app has been updated with a new beta behind a password.

That is all I know of right now, there may be more that have been announced or rumored.

Cynar

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is getting GFWL removed, confirmed by developer. He was happy to be rid of the thing.

Halo series is rumored to be coming to Steam early next year, so Halo 2 may have GFWL removed. I would like to see other Microsoft titles make the switch like Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Shadowrun, etc, but that is just my desire to have those games on Steam.

Dark Souls registry app has been updated with a new beta behind a password.

That is all I know of right now, there may be more that have been announced or rumored.
Yay

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
you sure? did they remove it recently or something?

If the GFWL store is still up after it was supposed to close down then I guess you could still purchase it and if you already purchased it you can still redownload it I think. If not then damn MS really screwed people on this one.

Grief.exe

If the GFWL store is still up after it was supposed to close down then I guess you could still purchase it and if you already purchased it you can still redownload it I think. If not then damn MS really screwed people on this one.

There is some confusion going on here.

The original question was whether GFWL DRM was still present in Bulletstorm, not whether it is still available for purchase.

The game is still available for purchase.
GFWL DRM is still present in the game.

Could this be related to Family Sharing? Since they said titles that requires 3rd party log ins and keys wouldn't work.

GFWL and Securom would not function with Family Sharing. In fact, it says so in the FAQ.

CAN ALL STEAM GAMES BE SHARED WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY?

No, due to technical limitations, some Steam games may be unavailable for sharing. For example, titles that require an additional third-party key, account, or subscription in order to play cannot be shared between accounts.

legend166

There is some confusion going on here.

The original question was whether GFWL DRM was still present in Bulletstorm, not whether it is still available for purchase.

The game is still available for purchase.
GFWL DRM is still present in the game.

GFWL and Securom would not function with Family Sharing. In fact, it says so in the FAQ.

Yeah, that's my point, that family sharing is giving them further impetus to remove GFWL.

Sikboy1029

Neo Member
Thanks for the info, still waiting to see if we'll get the chance to upgrade our copies to GOTY, If not I hope they put the DLC back on the store for purchase.

nbajammer

Neo Member
I wonder why 2K hasn't said anything about this. The redistributables update broke my game and now I can't play it at all.

Nabs

CSGO has drops like their F2P games. It would cripple the market if they allowed family sharing.

Grief.exe

All games seem to be in a holding pattern right now.

Anyone have possible theories on what they are waiting for?

Potential promotion (release with Batman:AO), Family Share Plan comes out of Beta, or, worst case scenario, they are waiting for July 2014.

nbajammer

Neo Member

Potential promotion (release with Batman:AO), Family Share Plan comes out of Beta, or, worst case scenario, they are waiting for July 2014.

I hope they aren't waiting for July 2014. Their updates broke my BioShock 2 and I am eager to play it again. Thanks for sharing all the info you have thus far!

Parsnip

The thing is that Microsoft hasn't officially announced the closing of GfWL, right? There was only that thing on Age of Empires Online support page, and they quickly changed that. But they haven't officially given it a date yet.

So my fear is that these guys decided to do the work now, and then just sit on it until MS spills the beans officially. Then 2K and WB can spin it that "hey, Microsoft is shutting it down, but we got your back guys. Here's a Steamwork patch, hooray!"

My guess is 2014.

Grief.exe

The thing is that Microsoft hasn't officially announced the closing of GfWL, right? There was only that thing on Age of Empires Online support page, and they quickly changed that. But they haven't officially given it a date yet.

So my fear is that these guys decided to do the work now, and then just sit on it until MS spills the beans officially. Then 2K and WB can spin it that "hey, Microsoft is shutting it down, but we got your back guys. Here's a Steamwork patch, hooray!"

You are right, still no official statement from Microsoft as this point.

I've been saying for months that Microsoft issues some kind of statement internally and to publishers, the AOE online leak confirms that.

Nabs

They added a Bioshock 2 (Base Game) sub to the registry. Maybe they are prepping that Minerva's Den release.

Eusis

I REALLY hope it isn't waiting on 2014 because I'd like to play Arkham City sooner than later, but I don't want the removal of GFWL to screw up an in progress game, or even a finished one I want to go back to.

Grief.exe

I REALLY hope it isn't waiting on 2014 because I'd like to play Arkham City sooner than later, but I don't want the removal of GFWL to screw up an in progress game, or even a finished one I want to go back to.

I've been looking forward to playing both Bioshock 2 and Batman:AC, this waiting is grinding me down. Especially now that the development has, seemingly, ended.

jediyoshi

If they released a version without GFWL, I don't also see them removing the currently existing as is version. Hasn't been the case when it's been done before.

Dark Souls just got a 7~MB patch, which was that passworded beta people have seen before, but GFWL is this here, FML.

Yeah just had that patch. Wonder whats up.

I could see them just removing GFWL but I wonder if the move to steamworks would be to much for effort. Maybe they just ditch GFWL and kill the online and say "if you want online buy DS2"

vg260

I've been looking forward to playing both Bioshock 2 and Batman:AC, this waiting is grinding me down. Especially now that the development has, seemingly, ended.

I've been waiting to replay Arkham Asylum with PhysX effects on. Dang. Is this ever going to happen?

Grief.exe

Yeah just had that patch. Wonder whats up.

I could see them just removing GFWL but I wonder if the move to steamworks would be to much for effort. Maybe they just ditch GFWL and kill the online and say "if you want online buy DS2"

Steamworks supports P2P connections, so it is certainly possible.

I reported on the patch last night in the Steam thread, but I should have posted it here as well.

From did not do anything to indicate the removal of GFWL. The registry app still shows GFWL downloading and installing, a key still placed in the registry, and they key still showing on startup.

I've been waiting to replay Arkham Asylum with PhysX effects on. Dang. Is this ever going to happen?

If you scroll up I discussed it earlier in the page.
Basically, all games seem to be in a holding pastern right now. Your guess is as good as mine when they will be released, I did make some educated guesses.

vg260

If you scroll up I discussed it earlier in the page.
Basically, all games seem to be in a holding pastern right now. Your guess is as good as mine when they will be released, I did make some educated guesses.

Haha. Yeah, I've been checking developments, that's just me venting.

Reading this thread is like reading stereo instructions. What's the current news or status on GFWL for these three games:

1. Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTYE
2. Batman: Arkham City GOTYE
3. Bioshock 2

I'm about to buy these on PS3 cus it's taking so long to patch out GFWL.

Top Bottom